PDA

View Full Version : VX Moab Trail Cam

nfpgasmask
02/04/2008, 04:34 PM
As most of you know, I video taped the VX only run via my camcorder on my dash last year.

This year, I want to do it a little different. I am wondering if anyone knows any decent lipstick cameras or helmet cams that can be hooked up to my camcorders A/V in ports. I was thinking of having a camera in my grill and one on my roof rack pointing backwards, with cables coming into my VX and attaching to my camcorder. This way, I can monitor and record from either view, depending on what is going on.

So, if anyone has any suggestions (brands, places to buy, etc) let me know.

Bart

CrnCnn
02/04/2008, 04:37 PM
Thats what I had in mind too but I would have to buy a camera first.

Triathlete
02/04/2008, 09:54 PM
No suggestions but my cam will be rolling too!

AndyC
02/05/2008, 06:46 AM
I know a few friends that have the helmet cams that they use when riding. I'd check into a few motorcycle sites. I know that there was an improvement on models last year which should have drastically dropped pricing on the older models. - Good luck and post them up when they are finished

nfpgasmask
02/05/2008, 08:48 AM
I know a few friends that have the helmet cams that they use when riding. I'd check into a few motorcycle sites. I know that there was an improvement on models last year which should have drastically dropped pricing on the older models. - Good luck and post them up when they are finished

Yeah, I've just been looking at eBay. Looks like I can get something for around $100. I was just going to do the dash cam again, but I actually changed my dash mount to a Lobster Mount for my GPS. And the camera mount I had up there was too shakey off road. If I get a lipstick cam or two, I can mount them on the exterior of the VX and get some really cool shots.

Bart

tom4bren
02/05/2008, 10:25 AM
Bart,

Are you going to provide some stabalization for the camera or do you have some means of doing image stabalization after the fact? Don't want you to end up with another Blair Witch/Cloverfield situation.

Tom

nfpgasmask
02/05/2008, 11:00 AM
Bart,

Are you going to provide some stabalization for the camera or do you have some means of doing image stabalization after the fact? Don't want you to end up with another Blair Witch/Cloverfield situation.

Tom

Well, last year I had my camera mounted on my dash. My camera is kinda heavy, and it did get a little shakey at times. But even with the shaking, the video was still decent. You can see all the Moab videos I took posted on YouTube.

If I get lipstick cams, I will either velcro them to my roof rack, or possibly attach them to some rare earth magnets so I can stick them to my VX wherever I want. Since these cameras are so small, they will be perfectly stable. That is why I want to use lipstick cams this year instead, plus I can mount them on the exterior, which should create some interesting view points.

Bart

CrnCnn
03/04/2008, 09:05 PM
It would be cool to put something under the bumper or on a control arm for a real close up look at the action.

Triathlete
03/04/2008, 09:47 PM
It would be cool to put something under the bumper or on a control arm for a real close up look at the action.

Under the bumper wouldn't last long the way I drive!:bwgy:

etlsport
03/04/2008, 09:48 PM
probably be easy to make a mount to go in one of the holes next to the license plate bracket where many people stick extra fog lights

nfpgasmask
03/05/2008, 10:35 AM
I think I will stick one in the honeycomb and run the wire through the firewall to my camcorder. Also, maybe one on the roof rack pointing backwards. I will then alternate the view point depending on the obstacle.

Bart

Bulldoggie
03/05/2008, 11:49 AM
I purchased a pin hole camera, the overall size is about an cu. inch.
color wide angle, has video patch cords and runs on a 9v battery.
Made by Swan, cost about $30.
It would make a great Nanny cam.
I bought it to catch my neighbor's kid vandalizing my stuff, only needed it for one day for that to work.

It also had a tiny little gimbal mount.

DevTechVX
04/06/2008, 09:04 PM
This is what I'm looking to get for shooting 'car" shots from many great angles. They are very stable and don't mess up the paint. The positions are endless where these could mount.

www.stickypod.com Check out their video section.

It is a lot easier to use the Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) built in most camcorders these days or provide some mechanical stability (like the stickypod) then to to try to take out the gitter in post. There are a few software applications that have "tracking" tools to take out excesive shake but these apps aren't cheap.

Devin

mdwyer
04/06/2008, 10:11 PM
My two cents is to spend more than $100 on your lipstick cams. Yeah, you can find them cheap, but the quality of those cheap ones is pretty dismal. On the other hand, to get quality, you've got to spend about $500! :eek: Here's one from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/364618-REG/ProCon_NSCAM_1_NSCAM_1_480_Lines_LipStick.html).

Of course, I'm mostly talking out of my *** right now. If that's a reasonable price for you, then... well... I wish I had your disposable income. :) I'm just recommending you stay away from those cheap X10-style cameras. They're 'color', but only if you REALLY stretch the definition of 'color'...

This is oh-my-god-cool: The Elmo SUV-Cam! (http://www.elmo.co.jp/suv-cam/en/index.html) (No relation to the red fuzzy monster.)