PDA

View Full Version : H3 Wheels

Knivx
02/01/2008, 12:53 PM
I've been contemplating swapping to a smaller wheel when i get new tires cuz 18's well just plain annoy me. I've read older threads but couldn't really find the answer to wether stock h3 wheels fit due to bore size or not. Has anyone out there actually test fitted these that can tell me yes or no whether they fit? Would the center need to be machined? I personally like the look of the wheels and if its a feasible option would seriously consider them other wise it's just some aftermarket steelies for me. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

ZEUS
02/01/2008, 03:02 PM
Did you read this post of mine before?: "Older GM trucks required a bigger bore size because of locking hubs on solid axles, ala Dana 44. When GM trucks went IFS in '88, the design required hub-centric wheels or vibration could occur, this is why they shrunk the hub bore size. Certain newer GM stuff might work now too! Not sure yet... I have been considering a 2nd wheel/tire combo and have been looking at H3 rollers on eBay for awhile. The Hummer H3, GMC Canyon, and Chevy Colorado all share parts, and their rims may be an option for us. These chassis require a wheel with a bigger bore (minimum 4-3/16" or 96.8 mm) compared to the normal Chevy hubs (78.3 mm) which are a hub-centric setup. Apparently, the H3 guys have been running into trouble trying to use the normal GM aftermarket wheel options because the stock H3 wheels have a 110 mm bore size!"

So yeah, my research showed the H3 wheels have a 110mm bore size - that would work for the VX. The number I never saw was the offset and backspacing of H3 wheels. I think they will work personally but I have not been able to kidnap a wheel to for a trial fit.

Pepino
02/01/2008, 04:20 PM
i just saw some H3 wheels on ebay and it says the sizes are 16X7.5X38 here is the link the have them in chrome and not chromed
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-FACTORY-CHROME-2007-Hummer-H3-Wheels-Rims-By-It-Now_W0QQitemZ170190720313QQihZ007QQcategoryZ43956Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ZEUS
02/01/2008, 04:30 PM
38mm offset sounds right to me - what is the stock VX offset though? I still say they'll fit!

Knivx
02/02/2008, 12:03 PM
Maybe i'll try to stop an h3 around town and ask them if i can try their wheels on....right. Now if the H3 is based on the colorado/canyon and those were built by isuzu from what i understand then technically in a round about sort of way the H3 is an isuzu and therefore i would be getting wheels that were still in the family....and now that i'm confused i'll continue my search. Thanks for all the input!

Knivx
02/02/2008, 12:29 PM
well i just bid on some so if i win i'll let ya'll know if they fit. they're cheap and if for some reason they don't fit i'll just resell them or something.

Knivx
02/13/2008, 04:07 PM
Just got four shiny new(ish) h3 wheels today. now just need some tires. I'll try to do a test fit soon and let ya'll know how they fit it's just a teensy bit too cold for me to just go put a wheel on with no tire on it today, not to mention the blizzard and snow to keep the cold company.

ZEUS
02/13/2008, 04:59 PM
EXCUSES EXCUSES... :cool: I can't wait to see the results!

don moore
02/13/2008, 07:40 PM
I was looking at the hummer wheels ..but got flack for a bling bling thing...lol
:rolleyes:
but i dont have the $ for extra wheels ..and I like the black look.
I want to see them on also;)

Knivx
02/18/2008, 05:29 PM
Well they fit. Have yet to get tires on them. will probably end up being some cheap tires cuz i splurged on the wheels and i'd like to get some lift and a few other things need addressing. They fit on the hub and everything and has about an inch and a half clearance on the back to the upper arm which i assume is good. I've figured out that they are about a quarter inch wider on the inside so i doubt that will cause problems? Oh and my stock 18's say the have an offset of 38mm as well. Any other ideas or input that i may have over looked before i plunk down the money for tires?

Knivx
02/18/2008, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to mention that the hummer center caps don't fit. But they looked really good without them. Almost like a Rally car wheel or something. I'll try to show off some pics when i get the tires on and all settled out.

ZEUS
02/19/2008, 07:21 AM
RIGHT ON! Did you try to steer to lock out while the wheel was mounted? You may have to adjust the lock out adjustment bolt to keep them from hitting the A-arm but I doubt it. It's too bad the center caps don't fit... but it sounds like an excuse to order some Aisin hubs!! :cool:

Knivx
02/20/2008, 09:22 AM
I didn't try turning it since it didn't have a tire on and my buddy and i were just checking real quick and only had the vx up with a couple bottle jacks. Any reason the extra width would be a problem? I of course came from the 18's so i'm not too familiar with how a 16 fits on there in relation to clearances here and there. I'm hoping to go to a 265/75r16 but if thats gonna be more headaches than a t bar crank and some light trimming i might rethink that size, at least on these wheels for now. If i do have a problem with that little bit of width on the inside would wheel spacers be a way to go or maybe just suck it up and deal with a little more trouble than anticipated. Maybe i can go down to big o and have them mount me an old tire in that size to do a test fit with the tire.....

JHarris1385
02/20/2008, 11:12 AM
I run that size but with a different offset.

bigkoala1
02/20/2008, 11:47 AM
im surprised no one as done a photoshop of these wheels yet!!

JHarris1385
02/20/2008, 11:52 AM
Or pictures have not been uploaded yet.

Knivx
02/20/2008, 06:41 PM
I'm working on the pics. I have the next couple days off so if the weather is decent i'll need something to keep me busy so i'll try to throw them back on so ya'll can see them on, with out tires, but on none the less. I wanted to do some more checking on clearances such as turning and all that was mentioned earlier. Stay tuned and hopefully i'll get some pics going on the next couple days.

Mark Miller
03/03/2008, 05:42 PM
Any pics yet?

Knivx
03/05/2008, 01:03 PM
It's been a crazy hectic couple weeks. I've got some nitto's coming for the wheels should be here friday. I got 265/75r16. Should fit with a little torsion crank in the front and some minor trimming, right? Gosh i hope so otherwise I'll have to wait even longer to get more lift under it which isn't quite in the budget right now, (trying to save up for an engagement ring and balance my vx addiction...er...hobby) I've got the next couple days off so i'll try to make it a point to at least get a couple of tireless pics of the wheels on it so ya'll have an idea what it looks like...which is of course sweet! Although i think a vx would look great with almost any wheel...almost.....

JHarris1385
03/05/2008, 02:04 PM
A lift does not cost much. Post pics.

Knivx
03/12/2008, 03:08 PM
Ok now. I just got the front end cranked so it's even with the rear. have the tires in my kitchen...(yeah i have no garage right now) and tomorrow is my pay day and a day off.......so i'm getting tires mounted and balanced and then i'll throw them on the VX. So....i promise, cross my heart that i will get some pics of it (even if i have to do it with my phone and text them to my email). Long awaited pics of this little ordeal are near. After that the vx will be finished for now....unless i get rid of my Samurai project and go wild on the vx...still have yet to decide. So stay tuned i promise there will be some pictures on here of the h3 wheels....on my vx.... with in the next day or two.

Knivx
03/13/2008, 03:52 PM
Well just got them on and true to my word I have pictures for you all. Check out my gallery. Don't mind the mud, had to test the new tires real quick. I personally love the look i've got going on now. The center caps don't fit but I kinda like that beasty utility look it has. I trimmed just the front of the cladding and now there is no rubbing. The tires are 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Feel free to shoot me any questions or comments.

don moore
03/13/2008, 09:36 PM
I dont belive you have a camera.........lol

Knivx
03/14/2008, 09:58 AM
I actually don't. Lol had to borrow one. Hope ya'll enjoy the pics.

mrtew
03/17/2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah they look pretty good!