PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Group 4 Oils

BeeVenom
01/30/2008, 03:17 PM
I know this is a topic that comes up every now and then. It's like....'I favor chevrolets over buicks' etc. I have been using Castrol Syntec in all my cars for years. I do the same with my 01 Proton and have now switched to their 'europeon formula' 0W30 synthetic which is supposed to be a 'group 4' oil and NOT a 'group 3' synthetic oil. There is a domestic Syntec 0w30 but it's not a group 4 oil. Since the difference is in what's in the base stock of the oil, it's supposed to be better for longevity, etc.
I do get about 1.5 miles better in mpg than the 10w30 Syntec i was using prior to this, but since i change it around 2500 miles anyway I figure i'm probably throwing money away....but i do have that good 'insurance feeling'.
It may be just a feeling.
Has anyone else experimented with, and have opinions about, other synthetic oils or just synthetics in general. I have been a firm believer in them regardless of cost.
Let my know your feelings,
Scott

Joe_Black
01/30/2008, 03:48 PM
Mobil-1 has consistently been a Group 4 synthetic and actually got into a major legal battle due to Castrol's efforts to reclassify Group 3 base stocks as "synthetic" for advertising purposes. After Castrol was successful, allowing them to legally market their blended oil (Syntec) as a pure synthetic to the largely ignorant public, there was a great deal of concern Mobil would start using Group 3 base stocks in Mobil-1 as a "profitable response". Apparently this never actually materialized, and the various MSDS information and engineering data that I've been able to review for the Mobil-1 products that I use (vehicular and commercial) have borne this out.

With the purchase of the new VW Jetta TDI a new twist came into my lubricant maintenance in the form of VW's specifications for the TDI engine. Come to find out there isn't any domestically available oils that fully meet the specs, so I ended up special ordering the manufacturer-specified Mobil-1 product from Europe via the http://www.avlube.com/ web site. The packaging bears a striking resemblance to the Mobil-1 Extended Performance product. Fortunately the cost is comparable to buying the regular Mobil-1 locally, so I get to stay in warranty without going bankrupt. :grino:

I've been accused many times of being a Mobil-1 representative :rolleyes: but base my assessment of their products from real-world applications. They've got more exposure in industrial, commercial and agricultural applications than any other synthetic lubricant. And when it comes to multi-million dollar operations, where equipment failures mean $$$ per hour downtimes, you don't buy your lubricants based on popularity. Period.

BeeVenom
01/31/2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Joe,
Good info to know. I love to research so i'll keep researching this stuff. I did access the website you mentioned and it looks interesting. I know the new Syntec "europeon formula" oil shows "made in Germany" and not the USA so i hope it's not false advertising. They're claiming the 'made in Germany' syrup is Group IV and everything else labeled syntec is Group III. Who knows?
All i know is i'll keep changing oil religiously.
Speaking of oils, what about filters? I'm using the Mobil l filter. Again, i tried to do my research.
Scott

JHarris1385
01/31/2008, 11:44 AM
I was about to recheck this same topic before my oil change this weekend.
I use Mobile 1 and thought about switching to something else.

Tobert
01/31/2008, 03:25 PM
There are a few sites out there where people have gone out and bought a bunch of brands of filters and cut them open, then rated them on things like bypass valve quality and filter element area. The Mobil-1 does well most of the time, so it's a safe bet. IIRC, Fram always comes in near the bottom. I've been running Purolator for a long time and am always happy with how long my oil stays looking cleaner. Before that, I only ran AC/Delco filters and was always happy. The VX and Subaru have only had Purolators or Mobil-1 filters.

This is one is motorcycle filters, but you get the idea:
http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Ok, I'm a search nerd:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Chopper
01/31/2008, 03:48 PM
K&N filters. When I drop the Mobil1 after 3000...it looks like maple syrup. Nice and clean. In the Lightning truck as well...80000 mi. and same deal, still changes out clean.

DarkWing
01/31/2008, 04:05 PM
I at the time of the first oil change they told me that I had run a quart and a half out of it. I have now put two quarts into it between changes, so I have to start looking into some solutions.

I want to start the synthetic, I don't know if that is an option where I take it now, but if not, I'll have to change places. Will that help the burning issue? I am going to go back into the arch's and see what has been said before, I know it's been covered, and see what that does for me.

For me, my oil endeavor begins.

D.W.

Joe_Black
01/31/2008, 05:16 PM
I like the Mobil-1 filter because it's fully synthetic and doesn't have any paper or cotton-gin inside, and not specifically because it's branded by Mobil-1 but that it's less expensive and easier to get than the equivalent fully-synthetic Wix filter. Here's an interesting site where someone takes a fairly objective view of a wide variety of filter brands by disassembling many popular brands and determining who makes what for whom: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

For my diesel tractors, military and commercial trucks I pretty much use Wix or NAPA, and sometimes Caterpillar for my Caterpillar dozers. The Mercedes diesels always get Wix synthetic on both the oil and fuel filters.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/31/2008, 06:44 PM
The VX and Subaru have only had Purolators or Mobil-1 filters.

those are what I run too!:p

etlsport
01/31/2008, 06:52 PM
x2!

BeeVenom
02/01/2008, 02:54 PM
I'm thinking that if you change your oil at 3,000 miles or less, it probably doesn't matter much which synthetic you use since they're designed for long-range travel and abuse. I favor the Mobil 1 filter since it seems to outperform even the K&N synthetic filter by a good margin as far as keeping 'ugly particles' out. I have seen the website where they 'tear apart' oil filters and diagnose very closely too. Anyway, at this point, i'm still
with 0w30 Castrol "Europeon Formula" synthetic oil with the "made in Germany" notation on the bottle.
My VX doesn't use any oil whatsoever between changes so that makes me happy as well. I also use it in my '04 Dodge Ram 5.7 truck and my '90 Allante' with the Mobil 1 filter and am quite pleased.
Let's keep researching.........'til the end of time.
Scott

etlsport
02/01/2008, 02:59 PM
i sent my oil out after running 3k with mobil1 10w-30 and a purolator filter for an oil report, came back all within norms with a suggestion that I could run my oil too 5k no problem

Chopper
02/01/2008, 04:16 PM
I'm thinking that if you change your oil at 3,000 miles or less, it probably doesn't matter much which synthetic you use since they're designed for long-range travel and abuse. I favor the Mobil 1 filter since it seems to outperform even the K&N synthetic filter by a good margin as far as keeping 'ugly particles' out. I have seen the website where they 'tear apart' oil filters and diagnose very closely too. Anyway, at this point, i'm still
with 0w30 Castrol "Europeon Formula" synthetic oil with the "made in Germany" notation on the bottle.
My VX doesn't use any oil whatsoever between changes so that makes me happy as well. I also use it in my '04 Dodge Ram 5.7 truck and my '90 Allante' with the Mobil 1 filter and am quite pleased.
Let's keep researching.........'til the end of time.
ScottDitto.....I use none between changes

BeeVenom
02/19/2008, 03:33 PM
Hey, check out JHarris' post on NAPA synthetics. I don't think you'll ever find a synthetic at the price of $2.00. What a great price and i'm pretty sure it's made by Valvoline!
Scott

JHarris1385
02/20/2008, 06:40 AM
Awesome. I am very tempted to by the whole shelf. It looks good....

WormGod
02/21/2008, 07:42 AM
I have been considering going with Royal Purple since I started using it in my WRX. I have been very pleased with it and in all sincerity *DO* feel a difference between that and the Valvoline I used to use.

Considering the VX gets 3k miles on it a year, the price of RP is worth it if I switch over. Currently the VX gets Valvoline SynPower, but by this spring, she goes Purple.

Typically, the only CONS I have and ever hear about are the price of RP. Other than that, it is pretty solid in my book.

JHarris1385
02/22/2008, 10:37 AM
Bought another 6 qts of NAPA syn.....

BIGWEDGE67
02/28/2008, 11:14 AM
Valvoline Syn is my Favorite oil.

Ldub
02/29/2008, 11:38 PM
I actually LOOKED at a case of Amsoil today.:cool:

don moore
03/01/2008, 03:35 PM
I got some napa syn. and a gold filter ..but .this VX has had valvoline it it its entire life ..114k.... should i switch to syn. or keep reg. 5w30 valvoline.
.................................................. .................................................. ..:smilegray

JHarris1385
03/02/2008, 04:47 PM
switch to syn.

etlsport
03/02/2008, 04:56 PM
synthetic oil will free up some gunk that regular oil won't, so when/if you do switch, change your oil after 1000-1500 miles the first time to get rid of all that stuff in the oil and in the filter. then after that you should be good