PDA

View Full Version : Towing Nightmare

dtruax
06/13/2003, 11:50 AM
Last week I was happily crusing down the highway, and BOOM! the right passenger exhaust cracked at the weld. I had a 455SD Trans AM whne I was a kid, this was louder!

Anyhow I called roadside assistance and they were really good - they sent out a truck to come get the vehicle. About an hour later a flatbed shows up, hooks chains to my car and pulls it up on the flatbed and off it went.

My VX had other warranty problems as well (Drivers window, CD changer, rear axel seals) so I told them to fix it all. It is all covered under the 10 year warranty, so all was good.. untill...

I showed up at the dealer to check on my VX and he says that it is all covered except for the shredded CV boots. Turns out they Tow truck guy hooked the chains up to the wrong place and they damaged the boots. I wish I know what exactly happened so I can watch for it next time.

The dealer went after the towing company to pay for the charges and after fainting over the price ($1500) they agreed to pay. The dealer says you can't replace just the boots, you have to replace the entire joint (?) Sounds fishy, but at least I'm getting new CVs out of it.

Anyhow I pick my VX on Monday (hopefully) and I'll let you guys know any more details.

Dallas4u
06/13/2003, 12:02 PM
Towing is ALWAYS scary!

paultvx
06/13/2003, 12:34 PM
Very scary. Employees of towing companies just don't pay attention. Whenever I get a tow I always insist on a flatbed and I always watch them to make sure they do it right.

Green Dragon
06/13/2003, 12:45 PM
Just had my Drivers side CV outer/ outer cage rebuilt + 2 new boots.

Cost $85

Vasha13
06/13/2003, 01:32 PM
Okay guys, help a clueless owner out. What exactly is the correct way to get them to load our VX on a flatbed? I knew to always use a flatbed when moving the VX but I didn't know there was a certain way to get it up there without damaging something. They should use the tow hook right?