PDA

View Full Version : is bigger better?? Tires that is

woody
01/28/2008, 12:40 PM
(yep I'm a FNG VX owner)
My 99 has BF Goodrich G Force T/A 255-55R 18 109V's on it.
I've found the ride pretty rough and have read a number of threads about tire size. One member installed 285 50 18s and said they fit with no shaving required!! Is this doable??
Plus I've emailed tons of members on info on their parts and not one reply..is this a normal attitude on this site??
Woody

nfpgasmask
01/28/2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Woody,

Are those BFG G Force Tires the rain tires? I had those on my VX for a while and found my VX would "crab" alot around corners and while turning at speed. Does yours do this?

Also, you probably could get away with 285s, but I would imaging you would need to trim a little at least.

As for the attitude on this forum, I would say it is the best forum I've ever been part of. Some people might want to rattle your chain now and then, but just hang around for a while and you will get to know everyone.

Bart

JHarris1385
01/28/2008, 02:35 PM
I personally would not go anything higher than 265's on a stock rim to aviod the lip over rim edge look. Do you have the 18's or 16's I see you said 18 but yours is a 99 that came stock with 16's.

Chopper
01/28/2008, 02:57 PM
Bigger will certainly cost you more at the pump. I wouldn't go wider than 265 on the stock wheel anyway.....not real safe, and it looks a little odd.

BeeVenom
01/28/2008, 03:02 PM
I have 20" on my 01 Proton with Zeus tires. They're actually harsher riding than the stock wheels/tires, but they look GREAT and only use them in the summer months. Spring and Fall i use the original ones.
Scott

tom4bren
01/28/2008, 03:46 PM
"Plus I've emailed tons of members on info on their parts and not one reply..is this a normal attitude on this site??"

Attitude? ... Here? ... Say it isn't so.

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Play to their vanity son. Start a thread to compliment their ride & ask how it's done. They'll send pix, how to's & sources till your head spins.

WormGod
01/29/2008, 08:17 AM
My ride has been rough as hell (but I like it!) since I went with 285/60s. It's kind of a rule of thumb though.... the larger the tire, the more your ride becomes work.

Trimming with 285s is touch and go here on stock height. Some members claimed little to no trimming, but I had to go with a lipo, tuck, and chop. LOTS of trimming. Cranking the torsion might aid in less trim, but I voted not to. My tires also protrude from the well a good 1" which increases trimming for clean turns. I get no rub now, but in reverse while turning, I get a little bite sometimes. Of course, I have to revisit trimming again soon since the body shop just put a new front bumper clip on. They shaved it down some, but not enough.

As for the attitude, that is a surprise. Maybe the email listed for some folks here are not up to date. I get emails occasionally from members so I know mine is correct. Maybe we all need to do a house cleaning on our listed info. *shrug*

woody
01/29/2008, 09:11 AM
Well there is life on this site!! Sorry if I ruffled any feathers...I appreciate all of the input...I can get tires at cost from a good buddy of mine so price isn't usually a problem...trimming is so I guess I'll go with 265's if I can find them.
By the way after reading a few other threads yesterday..I got a Borla exhaust installed...amazed at the conditionand weight of the OEM muffler...a very good sound now rumbles from the rear...anybody want my old muffler??

Cobrajet
01/29/2008, 02:56 PM
I'm one of those that had 285's on stock wheels without trimming. They were Pirelli Scorpion's, 285/55VR18. As JHarris and Chopper stated, they are too wide for the rim. They looked great, but I never liked the way they felt. I am now on my second set of Kumho Ecsta STX in 265/60VR18. I highly recommend these for the street.

woody
01/30/2008, 07:49 PM
thanks Cobrajet...I think I'll go your route!!