PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case question

WiSDoM
01/22/2008, 12:23 PM
Acouple of weeks ago my trany got cooked. so i ordered a used trany with 40,000 miles on it. I salvage yard is shipping it with the transfer case. I tranny is from a 99 or a 00 trooper with TOD, but apparently the transfer case is different from the vehicross case. the isus techs say it will bolt right up so no problem. my questions are what is the different. was there anything special about our transfer case? anyone have any ideas?

mbeach
01/22/2008, 03:05 PM
Did the Troopers have a Front-Axle-Disconnect on the TOD models?

Ldub
01/22/2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, IIRC they had a 2-HI option that we still lust after...:smilewink

WiSDoM
01/23/2008, 04:04 AM
so what should i do keep the vx transfer case or the trooper case and install a 2wd switch?

mbeach
01/23/2008, 09:23 AM
You'd have to do more than install a 2wd switch -the front-axle-disconnect is a bit more complex than that.

You're headed into uncharted territory. A 2hi VX would be great -maybe you have most of the parts to make that happen now?

In any case, take some pictures of each t-case and see if there are any differences to the case/connectors. I'll bet that they're the same, but who knows?

uncle_asa
01/23/2008, 10:10 AM
You'd have to do more than install a 2wd switch -the front-axle-disconnect is a bit more complex than that.

You're headed into uncharted territory. A 2hi VX would be great -maybe you have most of the parts to make that happen now?

In any case, take some pictures of each t-case and see if there are any differences to the case/connectors. I'll bet that they're the same, but who knows?

As far as I know there's some differences in the transfer case if it have 2HI option.

And beware of transmission from Trooper'00 and newer - it is totally different in Torque Converter Clutch control even though it is still 4L30E.

WiSDoM
01/23/2008, 06:03 PM
I haven't seen the trany yet should arrive by tomorrow or friday. i will take some pictures. I was told by the tranny shop to look for one from a 2000 isuzu trooper or vehicross. the salvage yard said hollander state the tranny will match but he transfer case won't. i have looked online for info but i haven't found anything yet. so to be on the safe side i will have them swap the transfer case from my vx to the new tranny. It been a couple of weeks now and no VX. My wife wants her expedition back. I will keep looking for info

uncle_asa
01/23/2008, 09:09 PM
I haven't seen the trany yet should arrive by tomorrow or friday. i will take some pictures. I was told by the tranny shop to look for one from a 2000 isuzu trooper or vehicross. the salvage yard said hollander state the tranny will match but he transfer case won't. i have looked online for info but i haven't found anything yet. so to be on the safe side i will have them swap the transfer case from my vx to the new tranny. It been a couple of weeks now and no VX. My wife wants her expedition back. I will keep looking for info

Here is some explanation of difference: http://atsg.biz/articles/pdf/4l60e%201870%20code.pdf