PDA

View Full Version : Help!!My (VX) Is Killing My Back!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamessmith
01/21/2008, 06:57 PM
I am the original owner of this printine 01' Dragon with only 34K on the clock. For the last six months my back has been killing me every time I drove my baby.
What can I do to soften the suspension?
In the early 90's I was forced to sale my ISUZU AMIGO (XS), because of back issued.
I have recently purchased an Isuzu Trooper, what a nice ride, and my back feels sooooo much better.
What can I do to improve the Vx's harsh ride. Selling my baby is not an option, but I am well aware if I do not use the vehicle, I will eventually ruin this gem.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

etlsport
01/21/2008, 07:14 PM
try some new shocks.. i test drove a VX with some softer gabriel shocks on it and the ride was very smooth.. but it detracted from the handling noticably from my own vx.. heard good things about rancho9000xl adjustable shocks too but have only ever ridden in a vx that had them set to be comparable to our stock ones

Triathlete
01/21/2008, 09:30 PM
Do you have back issues?

Back brace?
Core strengthening program?

Viatcheslav
01/21/2008, 10:10 PM
Use original shocks from trooper (Tokico shocks)! It is much softer then VX original shocks and much cheaper :gring:
Also you could use 265/70/16 wheel with 2 bar pressure.

WormGod
01/22/2008, 07:16 AM
Didnt we have a few members sell their VXs some time ago with this same complaint? Damn shame, and I simply wouldnt understand since I dont have back issues. But ya, the best options would be those already mentioned. I have yet to come across a shock that REALLY dampens the ride in the VX though. I have the adjustable Ranchos and I wouldnt bother. No matter what setting I have them on, they still feel quite the same, IMO.

Best of luck to ya. Hope you find a positive solution.

Hate to see a vehicle let go because of a physical injury. But best to have your back in a comfort zone than to pamper a vehicle, heh. :(

etlsport
01/22/2008, 08:04 AM
Didnt we have a few members sell their VXs some time ago with this same complaint? Damn shame, and I simply wouldnt understand since I dont have back issues. But ya, the best options would be those already mentioned. I have yet to come across a shock that REALLY dampens the ride in the VX though. I have the adjustable Ranchos and I wouldnt bother. No matter what setting I have them on, they still feel quite the same, IMO.

Best of luck to ya. Hope you find a positive solution.

Hate to see a vehicle let go because of a physical injury. But best to have your back in a comfort zone than to pamper a vehicle, heh. :(

i got flagged down by a guy maybe 6months ago who was telling me that he used to have a VX that he had to sell because it was too hard on his back, but he didnt mention anything about ever trying to correct the problem

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 08:12 AM
found an interesting article on this subject.

http://www.drivers.com/article/295/

It indicates that we (VX drivers) are guilty of some of the most common sources of the problems

1. lots of vibration.

2. poor visibility

3. being overweight (except etlsport:))

You're already looking at softening the ride so you're on the right track. Attack one source at a time until you get the results you're looking for. Keep this thread going so that continued input can possibly help others who are suffering too.

I had a leg injury some years ago that caused me problems on long drives. The solution ended up being quite simple. I found that putting the bucket down as far as possible gave me more support on the back of my legs which kept my leg from cramping up. There won't be one solution that works for everyone but trying out different things opens up the realm of possibilities & everyone benefits. The first thing to try is more lumbar support. Try putting a small pillow behind the small of your back. Better yet, are there any car seat covers that have memory foam inserts? Check out these guys:

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/428

Kind of pricey but you can return it within 30 days if it doesn't work. Or:

http://www.ultimatebackstore.com/product-exec/product_id/176/pn/OBUSFORME%20Combination%20Pack

navistar
01/22/2008, 09:33 AM
At least the VX seats are very comfortable unlike the seats in my BMW.

I had lower back pain and pain all along my left hip and leg to where on long drives it would get painful and numb at the same time. My chiropractor told me to stop carrying my thick wallet in my left back pocket. In about a week all the pain was gone. I carry the wallet in my right front pocket now with no problem.

Navi

circmand
01/22/2008, 09:51 AM
Apparently you never saw the episode of Seinfeld where George has the same problem.

navistar
01/22/2008, 05:38 PM
You're right. I never watched it.

JHarris1385
01/22/2008, 05:40 PM
I have a horrible back and my VX is very bouncy and it has never been an issue.

rainee25
01/22/2008, 08:27 PM
I know a Great massage therapist!!! ;)

JULIAN911
01/22/2008, 08:34 PM
James,

I've had back surgery to remove the lower disks (both sides) so can relate to your pain. I put the Rancho 9000SX shocks on mine and have them on the softest setting and am pleased with the results.

Good luck!

jamessmith
01/24/2008, 04:18 PM
You guys are awesome!! Well..I have not driven my baby in seven days,and that is so depressing.
Next week, I have an appointment with a Chiropractor, hopefully he can render me some relief.
I still have not decided what course of action to take, concerning my harsh suspension.
Maybe..I will just drive my baby once or twice monthly, thus keeping the mileage really low.
Have a wonderful weekend guys!! :cool:

tom4bren
01/31/2008, 11:06 AM
Jimmy,

How's the back? Are you VX'n again?

TexVeX
02/07/2008, 05:42 PM
I was going to recommend a chiropractor but I see you're already headed that way. I just hope you got a good one. I have chronic neck pain that only a chiropractor can make a difference in long term. Good luck.

tom4bren
02/12/2008, 09:22 AM
Wifey tried the chiropractor thinggy for a couple of years but ended up needing surgery. IMHO - chiropractors can give temporary relief but nothing more.

OK - took the Proton on an 800 mile round trip last weekend (visiting family in TN). Since this topic was fresh on my mind, I really paid attention to the seats. The seats are comfortable - no doubt about it. BUT ... there is a severe lack of lumbar support AND ... too much lateral support. The combined effect is that the seats cause your back to roll forward so that you slouch. If you watch for it, you can try to keep your shoulder blades back & it helps but you still need more lumbar support to help keep your back in a better position AND to help absorb the vertical loading of your upper body to a more supportive position of the lumbar area of the spine.

I'm going to check into some of the ergonomic seat covers. I'll let you know how it works out.

JHarris1385
02/12/2008, 01:26 PM
Tom - somewhere either on here or on recaro's website is instructions on how to properly sit in your recaro seat. That reading might be helpful to you. I have a horrible back and the seats in the VX are my favorite. On the note of a chiropractor. They for sure can give you long time relief, if you find the right one that is. Most these days have turned into a internal medicine doctor when it comes to healing. An internal medicine doctor or your normal doctor as you may call it only prescribes you with medicines to cover up the pain not cure (only thing they prescribe that cures is anti-biotics, and even those are changing at the hands of the drug mfg's), thus making their client base return customers. This is now apparent in the last 10 years and spreading in the chiro world. They to now give a generalized healing process in order to make you a returning customer. Even some of the tools they use are set up that way. This is because Chiro's really do have the ability to cure you but then after the cure your not paying them anymore on a monthly basis. So the point is go find one that gives a better hands on unique to the client approach, and never settle for one that pops your back on one of those breakaway tables.......If anyone ever has any questions concerning chiro's, complementary and alternative medicine/hollistic, and intergrative medicine approaches, my pm box welcomes you.

tom4bren
02/12/2008, 01:53 PM
"Tom - somewhere either on here or on recaro's website is instructions on how to properly sit in your recaro seat. That reading might be helpful to you."

I'll go look - THX http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=1393&region=3&L=2

"On the note of a chiropractor. They for sure can give you long time relief"

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that - it just hasn't been supported by my experience. Maybe since I'm an Engineer, I just think things through too much. NONE of the human joints were made to pop or crack and to force them to do so can not be good in my opinion. The little clicker thinggy they use to align your spine - cummon - 3 clicks of that once a week will do nothing to counteract a lifetime of misalignment. The one device that seemed to have some merit is the electroshock therapy. If used properly to fatigue appropriate muscles can have long term benefits. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert - I only know enough to be dangerous & that's probably the part that's talking now. IMHO - I think I'd try a Physical Therapist first to see what they could do to improve range of motion and provide muscular balance in the effected area. It probably sounds like I'm dissing Chiropractors in general & I apologize for that. I'm sure there are some out there worth their weight in gold

JHarris1385
02/12/2008, 09:18 PM
I am very analytical so I understand your thoughts. However I am very educated in the medical field and do know for fact that the myth of popping knuckles and joints is bad is FALSE. In most cases it is actually a good sign of a healthy lifestyle if you have joints to pop. The popped sacs are formed from excessive movement weather it be from sports or from an accident. I have never heard of a clicker at all – and am kind of curious as to what it is and should do. I haven’t not been to a bad chiro in years so I would not know. A physical therapist should go hand in hand with a chiro though. The muscles/ligaments are what holds the foundation (bones) while in motion, so you need a properly aligned bone structure so your muscles do not get out of whack from holding improper foundation together. More often than not most cases are cuased by pure bad posture and latic acid build up in the muscles (which is easily curable – by something that is not called flexiril)

tom4bren
02/13/2008, 08:58 AM
I'll agree with almost everything you said. I fail to be convinced that cracking or popping a joint is a valid treatment. Joints that crack or pop is a symptom of a problem in that joint. I know I've failed to convince you either. We'll agree to disagree & stay friends.:)

I haven't had any medical training other than being EMT certified for a while but my family runs deep in medical (2 doctors (both medical imaging), 2 nurse practitioners, 1 Occupational Therapist & 3 more in medical training now). I'm just used to hearing the negatives I guess.

JHarris1385
02/13/2008, 09:14 AM
Multiple doctors and a number of family friended Chrio's. No doctor practices internal medicine though, they call can but do not wish to. The most prominent is my Uncle who is 63 and still taking courses and or teaching all around the world. He has practically every cetificate you can have. Has wrote a number of books and founded/invented a load of tools.
You and anyone here should honestly look into ozone treatments. I have not had a cold for years and have never had the flu in my life due to this treatment. Consuming the treatment in a liquid drinkable form cures this. But it can also be injected into problem areas. For instance I had my WHOLE and I mean whole rotator cuff/left should busted in a freak snowboarding accident and I owe all of my curing to this treatment.