PDA

View Full Version : CLOVERFIELD: Anyone see it? Thoughts?

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 09:00 AM
I saw Cloverfield last night. I liked it a lot. The audio was incredible.

The only things I didn't like, was that #1, cell phones typically don't work when stuff like this is going down, let alone underground in a subway station, and #2, I would imagine the amount of power still available to the city would have been much more interrupted, plunging the city into a complete black out, save for battery powered auxiliary lights.

Other than those too things, the movie was quite entertaining, and I am glad it ended the way it did.

Bart

don moore
01/21/2008, 09:14 AM
Ive been keeping track of it since i saw the trailer of it..
Im going with a group on the 1st of feb. to watch it...
;)

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 09:37 AM
Ive been keeping track of it since i saw the trailer of it..
Im going with a group on the 1st of feb. to watch it...
;)

Yes, if you are at all interested in this flick, I would say to definitely see it in the theater. The sound effects and wicked!

Bart

johnnyapollo
01/21/2008, 10:16 AM
I'm seeing it this afternoon. I'll update the thread tonight.

-- John

Kenny
01/21/2008, 10:18 AM
I liked it. See it sooner than later, before someone spoils it for you.
I liked going in keeping myself in the dark as to what it was and what happens. Too bad my wife had to leave after 20 minutes, she got sick from the jerky camera movements.

Though I think the city being torn apart by a monster is more remote than cell phones working in a subway.:p

Not to spoil anything - but in the last 30 seconds of the film, keep your eyes scanning in the background, it'll explain a few things.

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I went into the theater not know a thing about it, other than it was a monster movie. I wasn't exposed to the hype surrounding this film (probably because I don't watch TV), which also made it more surprising.

You're right Kenny, if you can overlook the monster, you can certainly overlook the cel phones ;)

Bart

I liked going in keeping myself in the dark as to what it was and what happens. Too bad my wife had to leave after 20 minutes, she got sick from the jerky camera movements.

Though I think the city being torn apart by a monster is more remote than cell phones working in a subway.:p

Not to spoil anything - but in the last 30 seconds of the film, keep your eyes scanning in the background, it'll explain a few things.

Dumke
01/21/2008, 10:56 AM

Well I was going to watch it tonight but THANKS for runing it. no need now...

I had to see what monster looked like online. Wasnt going to watch it because people up @ work were complaining about camera movement and it mademe think of when i watched "Blair Witch" and how that sorta made me sick but stuck through it and enjoyed it.. Anyways looked up monster hopefully didnt ruin it because after this talk makes me want to go see it again..

And for the record I dont fall under peer pressure.

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 11:10 AM
Well I was going to watch it tonight but THANKS for runing it. no need now...

I had to see what monster looked like online. Wasnt going to watch it because people up @ work were complaining about camera movement and it mademe think of when i watched "Blair Witch" and how that sorta made me sick but stuck through it and enjoyed it.. Anyways looked up monster hopefully didnt ruin it because after this talk makes me want to go see it again..

And for the record I dont fall under peer pressure.

I can definitely say, its not for everyone. If you want a typical Hollywood monster flick with a happy ending, don't see it. But if you want something a little different, and very intense, I would say make sure you go see it in the theater.

Bart

PS - I guess I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't get sick from 1st person shooters and movies like this.

Dumke
01/21/2008, 11:43 AM
Oh I dont get too sick of fps. The movie was on a little 27 inch tv so was hard to focus.. But I will give it a go. Hey I am for everything new but I just dont want to be disapointed as I was when i saw the newer godzilla movie or whatever ti was... Now has slipped my mind but here nore there. I will report back tonight on my thoughts.

Soo many movies now adays are just trash. I mean how orginal are pople getting now adays. Yeah I know alot are remakes which I havent seen orginals. I am talking like secret window and hide-n-seek. I mean you seen one seems like you seen them all these days.

CoastieCosta567
01/21/2008, 11:44 AM
i loved it, i saw it the first night it came out, the only thing that bugged me was really the fact that i wished they expalined where the monster came from, but other then that, i loved every bit of it, and the end was amazing.

Knigh7s
01/21/2008, 12:40 PM
I watched it opening night. Loved it. The sound and visuals were awsome!

I've actually been following it since the first trailer leeked from the Transformers Movie. There are plenty of websites and stuff out there about the movie and the mystery that was wrapping around it.

[SPOILERS BELOW/]
http://www.1-18-08.com/ (official)
http://one-eighteen-oh-eight.blogspot.com/ (fan site)
http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/ (fan site)

MYSPACE PAGES:
Rob Hawkins (http://www.myspace.com/robbyhawkins)
Look on his friends list and you will find the entire cast of the movie as if there movie lives were real... Interesting read. :)

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 01:51 PM
Soo many movies now adays are just trash. I mean how orginal are pople getting now adays. Yeah I know alot are remakes which I havent seen orginals. I am talking like secret window and hide-n-seek. I mean you seen one seems like you seen them all these days.

I agree about how 90% of movies nowadays are absolute garbage. It seems that in the US, films are basically made to make money, devoid of any real artistry and typically, completely unoriginal. I have really been looking to the films coming out of Japan and Korea for original ideas. Its funny too, because here in the US we keep remaking all the cool Japanese and Korean horror/thriller flicks because we can't come up with any new ideas ourselves.

Cloverfield is in no way original in story or content. Cloverfield is simply a wild ride, with some killer visuals and intense sound. The creators of this film certainly put some thought into it and really tried to do something a little different than the Hollywood norm, and for that, I have to give props. I have never seen The Blair Witch Project, but a lot of folks are comparing it to that, only saying that Blair Witch basically sucked, while Cloverfield was awesome.

;) Bart

Kenny
01/21/2008, 03:13 PM
... Its funny too, because here in the US we keep remaking all the cool Japanese and Korean horror/thriller flicks because we can't come up with any new ideas ourselves.

;) Bart

On that note- go rent "The Host". Korean subtitles, a bit goofy characters, but pretty cool.

http://www.hostmovie.com/

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 03:22 PM
On that note- go rent "The Host". Korean subtitles, a bit goofy characters, but pretty cool.

http://www.hostmovie.com/

Just watched the trailer. Looks awesome. Thanks, Kenny.

Bart

Dumke
01/21/2008, 05:55 PM
All I can say I am glad I watched it. its AWESOME. The special effects, the sound even more so. The camera yes I did have to look @ a exit sign here and again to keep from my eyes straining.

ok kenny

Man I looked and I didnt see anything or maybe I over looked. Pm me plz to explain if ya dont mind.

The only things I didn't like, was that #1, cell phones typically don't work when stuff like this is going down, let alone underground in a subway station, and #2, I would imagine the amount of power still available to the city would have been much more interrupted, plunging the city into a complete black out, save for battery powered auxiliary lights.
Bart

I dont see how a woman can run in high heels when she is scared for her life. Let alone go every where she went. I mean I have a hard enough time walking down the hall... erm um nm...

But all in all it was a awesome movie and I am glad I went to see it.

Edit: Oh sorry but I have to say "Its probably a terrorist" ........ LMFAO

Griffin
01/21/2008, 07:37 PM

Can you please pm me also, I saw it but I was left in the dark at the end. The chicks screaming next to me made it hard to keep up with. lol

CoastieCosta567
01/21/2008, 08:22 PM
Kenny PM as well, i want to know what your talking about, i saw it but i'm not sure what you mean about keep a scanning in the background.

Not to spoil anything - but in the last 30 seconds of the film, keep your eyes scanning in the background, it'll explain a few things.[/QUOTE]

johnnyapollo
01/21/2008, 08:37 PM
Veni, Vidi, Uti!

Monster is awesome - camera jitteryness gave me a headache (just like BWP) and at one point I said "but where's the witch?" but other than that I found it a really unusual and unique offering.

-- John

WormGod
01/22/2008, 07:26 AM
This site is the ONLY source of positive info regarding this film. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for being different, hahaha. I have not heard a single positive thing about this flick, but you all rave about it.

Too many have told me about the "Blair Witch" carbon copy and how extremely annoying it can be, so, that is enough for me to wait till I can rent it at 7-11. :p

Still, its good to hear some positivity about it. I was totally buying into the viral video marketing and had hopes for it.

Kenny
01/22/2008, 07:51 AM
For those asking what I meant about looking near the end:
Ahhhh... I'm not going to PM everybody. It's not really a spoiler, but it was hard to catch for most. If you Google "cloverfield splashdown" you'll see what I'm talking about. There are a few theories...
:rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 08:31 AM
This site is the ONLY source of positive info regarding this film. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for being different, hahaha. I have not heard a single positive thing about this flick, but you all rave about it.

Too many have told me about the "Blair Witch" carbon copy and how extremely annoying it can be, so, that is enough for me to wait till I can rent it at 7-11. :p

Still, its good to hear some positivity about it. I was totally buying into the viral video marketing and had hopes for it.

Really? IMDB has a lot of positive commentaries (as well as some negative). None of my friends/family that have seen it have had anything really bad to say about it. I think the people that are knocking this film are not really understanding it, or were expecting something completely different. IMO, this film is NOT about a monster. Sure, the monster is the driving force behind everything that is happening, but to me, this film is about the first person experience. Who cares if you don't get a full frontal shot of the monster? Who cares where it came from? Its really not about that.
Also, a lot of people complained about the ending. Why does every movie have to have a happy ending? Why do all the questions always have to be answered? If you have to have everything spelled out, you should stick with Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich films.

All I can say, Worm, is that you're missing out if you don't see this one in the theater.

:) Bart

Dumke
01/22/2008, 08:38 AM
For those asking what I meant about looking near the end:
Ahhhh... I'm not going to PM everybody. It's not really a spoiler, but it was hard to catch for most. If you Google "cloverfield splashdown" you'll see what I'm talking about. There are a few theories...
:rolleyes:

LOL I am soo lost now and confused. Theory on what? Are the scientologist actually right and their Messiah has come for them??? NOOOOOO.

I thought it was just some monster that tore apart NY city and that was that. I didnt know there was a conspiracy that was apart of it. Bah I dont want to watch a shaky camera again but I may have to go back and see it.

As for those that say its BWP #2 nah I think they remade that movie. plus this isnt shot on crappy 8mm or whatever blair which was shot on so the quality of the video isnt bad. Plus liek Bart said I wouldnt wait because not sure of sound system you have @ home but was waay worth it.

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 08:41 AM
I thought it was just some monster that tore apart NY city and that was that. I didnt know there was a conspiracy that was apart of it. Bah I dont want to watch a shaky camera again but I may have to go back and see it.

I am considering a second theater viewing.

Bart

ZEUS
01/22/2008, 10:05 AM
I have been ignoring this thread until after seeing the show last night. I saw the preview once and never watched it again cuz I knew right then I wanted to see it (I do that a lot). Nokia is big in advertising in movies nowadays and they did it again in this one. I was impressed with how long each shot carried through. The camera man was funny as hell... And the chicks were hot, especially the damsel in distress! My gay friend said the guys were hot too. But what happens after a person gets bit? Do you just blow up or what? I couldn't tell what happened. And WormGod, Rotten Tomatoes also has mostly positive things to say as well.

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 10:24 AM
But what happens after a person gets bit? Do you just blow up or what? I couldn't tell what happened.

I think there is some sort of reaction that causes sudden, rapid cell expansion, ie. exploding. :) They didn't really explain that, but then again, they didn't really need to.

Bart

ZEUS
01/22/2008, 10:45 AM
Behind the curtain it looked like she became a monster who exploded someone else! As long as someone exploded, I am cool with it.

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 10:46 AM
Behind the curtain it looked like she became a monster who exploded someone else! As long as someone exploded, I am cool with it.

Yeah, its hard to tell. It happens so fast, but I think she exploded.

:) Bart

Knigh7s
01/22/2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, It does seem like she exploded, Because if you pay attention to the dead soldier they wheel by, his chest looks to have exploded as well with blood coming out of his eyes.

Zorak
01/22/2008, 01:25 PM
Kenny PM as well, i want to know what your talking about, i saw it but i'm not sure what you mean about keep a scanning in the background.

Not to spoil anything - but in the last 30 seconds of the film, keep your eyes scanning in the background, it'll explain a few things.[/QUOTE]

Go here:http://movies.go.com/1-18-08/d910712/horror to see what Kenny is talking about("top tidbit"). Warning: this gives away something if you haven't seen the movie yet

CoastieCosta567
01/22/2008, 03:13 PM
I am considering a second theater viewing.

Bart

Me too, i loved it.

Chopper
01/22/2008, 03:15 PM
It was different. I don't get motion sick, so it was no problem. A big giant flea may do that to ya......yes....I caught the nuclear satellite thing. You'd need an incredible home theater to make this work at all, as a rental. No, I won't be seeing it again....it was ok, but once was enough. Don't do the whole, "public place" thing, very well at all. Good thing it was short....another 15 minutes or so, and one loud mouth was gettin' something shoved down his throat. My poor wife....always trying to keep me civil:rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 03:37 PM
It was different. I don't get motion sick, so it was no problem. A big giant flea may do that to ya......yes....I caught the nuclear satellite thing. You'd need an incredible home theater to make this work at all, as a rental. No, I won't be seeing it again....it was ok, but once was enough. Don't do the whole, "public place" thing, very well at all. Good thing it was short....another 15 minutes or so, and one loud mouth was gettin' something shoved down his throat. My poor wife....always trying to keep me civil:rolleyes:

Yeah, the shortness was apropriate. Any longer and it would have been overkill. I was lucky to have gone to a 4:30 show and there was only like 10 other people in the theater.

I am planning to lay down a phat bank roll on my home theater when we move, so hopefully I can get a nice HD version of this film and watch it at home with a similar affect.

Bart

Chopper
01/22/2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, the shortness was apropriate. Any longer and it would have been overkill. I was lucky to have gone to a 4:30 show and there was only like 10 other people in the theater.

I am planning to lay down a phat bank roll on my home theater when we move, so hopefully I can get a nice HD version of this film and watch it at home with a similar affect.

BartI've taken giant strides to equip our domicile in a manner that makes it all but unnecessary do deal with humanity, in order to be entertained. ( Hell, I go to Wally World and Winn Dixie at 5AM:rolleyes:) People just can't seem to behave when I'm around, and somehow, I always get involved.)A great TV/ gaming space is key....a big ol' climate controlled garage is next (in my case, it adjoins the TV room:)) You need a drinkin' room... with TV pool table, Foosball, pinball (required...I'm a Hook fanatic) and beer fridge. Every thing else is her problem...I could care less. You're still bouncing around...when you find your spot, take your time planning.

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 04:45 PM
I've taken giant strides to equip our domicile in a manner that makes it all but unnecessary do deal with humanity, in order to be entertained. ( Hell, I go to Wally World and Winn Dixie at 5AM:rolleyes:) People just can't seem to behave when I'm around, and somehow, I always get involved.)A great TV/ gaming space is key....a big ol' climate controlled garage is next (in my case, it adjoins the TV room:)) You need a drinkin' room... with TV pool table, Foosball, pinball (required...I'm a Hook fanatic) and beer fridge. Every thing else is her problem...I could care less. You're still bouncing around...when you find your spot, take your time planning.

Before sunrise is the only time to go to Wally World. Otherwise it is a hair pulling event.

Bart

cyronman
01/22/2008, 05:08 PM
I saw it yesterday and was actually telling a buddy about it as I logged on last night, but his internet crapped out before i could post.

I thought it was well worth the effort of going to the theater to watch.
:thumbup::thumbup:

IMO, this is the type of movie you pay to go see at the theater. Not some run-of-the-mill summer action flick with new and improved tough-guy quotes.
Not only the audio but the SEs were outstanding. The cam-shake didn't bother me one bit.
And when it ended, sure enough there was an uproar of "that's it??"'s...
and I just laughed at all the people that have no imagination or understanding of how the movie is presented.

CoastieCosta567
01/22/2008, 05:25 PM
hey like i said before i loved it. so i have been searching alot of thigs about this movie, and i found 2 site that can break alot of clues, go to www.1-18-08.com and you will find pictures there, that where not on the film and u can flip them and some have something writen on the back all u have to do shake the photo. also go to this other site, witch is even crazy better and way in depth with the film and for whats might me a next 1 to come like saying keeping the same movie but from a diffrent group of people recoding there on story and servivale, and maybe they will bump to each other on the next film, where we might have not seen it on the this film. the site is http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/ like i said go check it out, the info in endless, but still with secrets untold, it's awsome, i know you will like it nfpgasmask. P.S.I'm actually going to go see it at 7pm again Pacific time. :)

Dumke
01/23/2008, 05:55 AM
Go here:http://movies.go.com/1-18-08/d910712/horror to see what Kenny is talking about("top tidbit"). Warning: this gives away something if you haven't seen the movie yet[/QUOTE]

Awesome thank you. I thougth i saw something in water but didnt see other part. sorry if I spoiled something but if you havent seen it yet and your reading this post then isnt it your fault LOL :p

creeg
01/23/2008, 08:26 AM
Here is the backstory, in a nutshell (taken from a blog). highlight the area below to see the spoiler. It doesnt really ruin the movie, but it will take away some of the mystery.

Rob (one of the main characters of the movie) got a job offering from a company in Japan named Slusho! which is a subsidiary of another Japanese company called Tagurato. Tagurato is an oil company, which means that they have oil rigs in the ocean. Slusho! has a special ingredient that makes people want to drink more of it. That special ingredient comes from the bottom of the ocean. Apparently, a piece of a Japanese government satellite called ChimpanzIII fell off, and Tagurato is trying to find and identify the object that fell. It is speculated that while trying to find the object, they awoke a monster that is thousands of years old. This is the monster that attacks New York.

nfpgasmask
01/23/2008, 08:51 AM
I guess this is part of the online hype also?

http://www.slusho.jp/

Bart

creeg
01/23/2008, 11:59 AM
So is this
http://tagruato.jp/

Knigh7s
01/23/2008, 12:28 PM
Official Webpages
1-18-08.com (http://1-18-08.com)
Cloverfieldmovie (www.cloverfieldmovie.com)
Tagruato (http://www.tagruato.jp/index2.php)
T.I.D.O. Wave (http://tidowave.com)
Slusho (http://www.slusho.jp)
Jamie and Teddy (http://jamieandteddy.com) - Password: jllovesth

The Actors (Movie Character) Myspace Pages:
Rob Hawkins (http://www.myspace.com/robbyhawkins)
Beth McIntyre (http://www.myspace.com/beth_mcintyre)
Lily Ford (http://www.myspace.com/lily_ford)
Hudson Platt (http://www.myspace.com/hudsonplatt)
Jason (JJ) Hawkins (http://www.myspace.com/jj_hawkins)
Jamie Lascano (http://www.myspace.com/jamielascano)

Un-Official Webpages: (fan pages)
one-eighteen-oh-eight (http://one-eighteen-oh-eight.blogspot.com/)
Cloverfieldclues (http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/)

ZEUS
01/23/2008, 01:42 PM
Wow! That's some interdetective work!

nfpgasmask
01/23/2008, 01:46 PM
Too bad for me, most of these sites are blocked my my company's firewall. :mad::mad:

I really need to setup a web proxy at home to get around this.

Bart