PDA

View Full Version : Lift options

navistar
01/17/2008, 05:35 PM
I want to lift her one of two ways.

Questions:

What, if any, difference is there between a 2-inch lift using the Independent4X spacers vs a higher lift (around 2.5 inches) with 912 coils, all other things on the front suspension being equal? Is there any difference in handling, stability, etc.

What about appearance? Does anyone have side view pics of these lifts with 16-inch wheels, that's what I'll have on her?

JoFotoz
01/17/2008, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have side view pics of these lifts with 16-inch wheels, that's what I'll have on her?
Its a 3 inch calmini lift ...but in reality about 2.75.
(I'm not suggesting you go calmini...it was in the parts box I got when I purchased her!)
16 inch rims...33x11.50 tires

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX31.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6624)

jo

tom4bren
01/17/2008, 05:56 PM
You can see my lift in my gallery (last time I tried to post a pic in the thread, Zeus ragged me about the failure so I'm not trying it again:)).

From what the PO told me it's a 3" Calmini lift on the rear but just the torsion adjustment in the front. The tires are 33x12.50's on some unknown rim with offset from he11. He did some minor fender trimming too.

JHarris1385
01/17/2008, 07:57 PM
Im a fan of the 912....look in my gallery for pics of the lift. If you have any questions just pm me if you want.....

CrnCnn
01/17/2008, 08:51 PM
Here is mine the day I put in the lift.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/after_2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8438)

And here it is after a few months. This is a good height comparison. Large lift(ASCINDER), no lift(NFPGASMASK), and typical lift(ME).
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/PosinVXs15.jpg

bigkoala1
01/18/2008, 07:39 AM
my lift next to stock height

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10004/ppuser/2697

with 16" comp pro wheels ans 31" dueller m/t's

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9942/ppuser/2697

etlsport
01/18/2008, 10:27 AM
im not positive how our springs work but i know they are meant to give faster and then slower... or maybe slower then faster.. i forget which anyway they dont compress at a constant rate so adding 2 inch spacers will give you some lift.. but might not give you a full 2 inches

navistar
01/19/2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm going with the OME 912 coils, the ball joint flip with spacers and torsion bar crank then Rancho 9000xl's.

Question:

Does anyone have any experience with the Calmini heavy duty anti-sway bars? They're over $300.00 (front and back with bushings) or would just using poly bushings on the stock bars be just as good?

Where can I get the best deals on the 912, etc?

Triathlete
01/19/2008, 10:26 AM
Rocky Road off road has had the best prices. They are not the fastest though, but many on the board have ordered trouble free from them. Thy have also taken an interest in the VX and started fabbing stuff (rock sliders) for us.
As far as the sway bars, I have been running the stock bars with my lift with no problems.

CoastieCosta567
01/19/2008, 12:09 PM
i got 919's and they gave me a full 4 inches, but with the stock shocks, lowered it to 3 inches and thats not including the 33's i have on, witch tires will give you even more lift. my pictures are the ones with the red mud flaps, and the one you can see right now, is all a stock lift, nothing lift added to it.

Triathlete
01/19/2008, 04:29 PM
Your shocks have nothing to do with lift. If the shocks have caused your lift to go from 4 to 3 inches then at ride hight your shocks are fully extended and suching your springs down...not a good situation! You should change your shocks for the appropriate length.

navistar
01/19/2008, 08:53 PM
Well.

Then I'll just keep the stock bars and get poly bushings. All things considered. Thanks all.

ZEUS
01/20/2008, 09:48 AM
Good choice Navi, my understanding is that the Calmini lift kit was designed for the Trooper and since the VX is based of that platform the pieces simply fit... however the Calmini sways are not as thick (stiff) as the stock VX sways, they are only thicker than the Trooper's. Trooper owners would be better equipped if they swapped in VX sways versus the Calmini option. That's how I understand it anyway. A lot of people get the low-profile bump stops to allow for more front end down travel but since the Ranchos don't provide the needed down travel for the VX, the bumpers would be a waste. Again... to my understanding. I measured only a 1/2" extra travel after installing the low profile snubbers.

navistar
01/20/2008, 05:09 PM
Getting more technical...

With the 912s I'll get a 2.5 to 3 inch lift on the rear. With that amount of lift doesn't that shift the rear end geometry out of whack?

It seems to me that it would shift the rear axle to the left (driver side) because of increased pressure on the rear suspension lateral rod?

Wouldn't it cause the axle to nose down slightly putting because of increased pressure on the rear suspension upper center link?

It makes me thing that after the new coils are installed both of these rods/links should be remeasured and lengthened at a machine shop to restore the axle back into the original/correct/aligned geometry.

What do you all think? :confused:

Ldub
01/20/2008, 05:30 PM
I have 919's & a 1" spacer, I don't think the 919's give much more lift, but they do carry a load better. (I have a LOT of weight in the back, enough tools & spares to get home in the event of 85-90% of what commonly goes wrong "out there".)
Yes the axle geometry changes somewhat, with the most noticable difference being that the rear tires are closer to the front of the fender well. I haven't noticed them being off center, but when I hit large bumps at highway speed, I notice a little sideways deflection as the suspension compresses. Fortunately I'm a good steerer.:rolleyesg:smilewink
www.independent4x.com offers adjustable HD lower links that could compensate a bit, but you also have driveshaft overlap to consider.
They also sell an adjustable upper center link for Troopers, but I don't know if it will fit the VX.
A call to Matt will answer all your Q's.
Most here have installed 912's & cranked the torsion bars & lived happily ever after.:thumbup:

navistar
01/20/2008, 06:18 PM
Actually the rear axle might have a slight nose up angle when lifted. The adjustable lower links could restore the axle to level. The lateral rod still might still have to be lengthened to center the rear axle left to right.

When I do this I'll take a lot of pics and measurements for the "historical records". :bwgr:

Navi

Ldub
01/20/2008, 06:47 PM
Actually the rear axle might have a slight nose up angle when lifted. The adjustable lower links could restore the axle to level. The lateral rod still might still have to be lengthened to center the rear axle left to right.

When I do this I'll take a lot of pics and measurements for the "historical records". :bwgr:

Navi

Well, that's true, but you will also be putting a steeper angle on the U-joint.
I doubt that the slight change in axle angle is going to have much of an effect on how much oil the ring gear is swimming in.:_wrench:
I'm not 100% for sure, but you MAY be over thinkin' this a tad.
(see lift & live happily ever after comment above):smilewink

navistar
01/20/2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah..maybe I am over thinkin it.

But still......

Ldub
01/20/2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah..maybe I am over thinkin it.

But still......

I know... you're just tryin' to do it right. :_wrench: :thumbup:

ZEUS
01/21/2008, 06:33 AM
Jack up the VX and put some jack stands under it to see where the lift will take the suspension geometry. All your questions will be answered. Otherwise, Lift it and then think. If you don't like something after you lift it, then change it.

navistar
01/21/2008, 07:08 AM
QUOTE: "A lot of people get the low-profile bump stops to allow for more front end down travel but since the Ranchos don't provide the needed down travel for the VX, the bumpers would be a waste."

Are you saying that I should not use the Rancho 9000xls after the 912 lift? Or are you saying to keep the stock bumpers otherwise the shocks would end up taking the hit of the downward travel using the low-profile bump stops?

Please clearify.

Navi

ZEUS
01/21/2008, 08:36 AM
As posted by Green Dragon:

"Shock Travel Compressed-Extended

Isuzu OEM
Front
10.24-15.35
Rear
12.56-19.25

Rancho 9000 or RS 9000X

Front PN RS9214 or PN- RS99214
9.67-14.82
Rear PN RS9215 or PN- RS99215
12.66-19.78"

So by these numbers the front Ranchos are about 1/2" short. May not matter with stock bump stops, but increasing the downward travel of the A-arms may damage the Ranchos. So ideally, if the XL's specs match the X's you could maybe use a 5/8" - 3/4" spacer at the top of the shock to compensate. The low profile snubbers could then be used as intended. I had planned on fabbing up new shock towers for mine but am still researching.

navistar
01/21/2008, 04:25 PM
Of course that's one extreme to the other as in off-roading requirements but for normal every day driving and Interstate it probably wouldn't matter much.

CoastieCosta567
01/21/2008, 05:05 PM
do any of you guys know of a websirte, that i can buy some offroad shocks, cuz my stock ones are starting to go and i really like the stiff and rough ride, cuz it pays off on turns and offroad. I really would like to get me some nice offroad shocks with the oil tude on the side of it, just like our stock ones.

ZEUS
01/22/2008, 09:44 AM
I have been checking out some Bilsteins but I would be fabbing up shock towers to fit them. I am still not sold on anything that is supposed to bolt in, aside from the OEM's.

Ldub
02/03/2008, 06:26 PM
do any of you guys know of a websirte, that i can buy some offroad shocks, cuz my stock ones are starting to go and i really like the stiff and rough ride, cuz it pays off on turns and offroad. I really would like to get me some nice offroad shocks with the oil tude on the side of it, just like our stock ones.

The other option would be to have your stock shocks re-built here : www.brucessuspension.com

It's about $130 ea. last I checked, & from what I've heard he does good work.
Do a site search for bruces suspension or shock rebuilds for further info.
Also, it is my understanding, that new caps have to be fabbed for the remote oil reservoirs (pvc pipe caps & silicone?), as the old ones are toatt upon removal.
But if your seals are blown & the fliud is gone, it's too late.

dfwvx
07/20/2014, 09:33 PM
Do your OME 912 springs feel softer or increase body roll on the street? Also I'm going to use Rancho 9000XL's.

Mile High VX
07/21/2014, 06:25 AM
The other option would be to have your stock shocks re-built here : www.brucessuspension.com

It's about $130 ea. last I checked, & from what I've heard he does good work.
Do a site search for bruces suspension or shock rebuilds for further info.
Also, it is my understanding, that new caps have to be fabbed for the remote oil reservoirs (pvc pipe caps & silicone?), as the old ones are toatt upon removal.
But if your seals are blown & the fliud is gone, it's too late.

When I checked about 8 months ago Bruce was no longer doing these.

There is a place in Denver that did Jerry's from SLC. RG3 Motorsports is the company... http://www.rg3denver.com Total set will cost you about $900 depending on what needs to be done, but a new set will run you $2,500 so if you want OEM...:bgwo::bwgy::smilewink:bgwb:

If you want a local place to you see if you can find a company that does rebuilds for dirt bikes and motocross bikes.

VXorado
07/21/2014, 07:38 AM
Do your OME 912 springs feel softer or increase body roll on the street? Also I'm going to use Rancho 9000XL's.

All of the OME Coils are stiffer than stock. They will decrease body roll a little bit.

dfwvx
07/22/2014, 08:46 PM
Has anyone done a 3 inch lift with the Rancho 9000 xl 214's and 215's amd OME 912 springs? Do I need to use longer shocks like the ome's or the secret part number longer Ranchs the independent 4x is selling? Please help.