PDA

View Full Version : Tire Time...I'm stoked

Chopper
01/16/2008, 03:57 PM
33 thousand miles. At long last, the seven year old 'Stones are worn out enough to justify replacement. I'm thinking Nitto.

JoFotoz
01/16/2008, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking Nitto.

YUP...I agree!!!

I have the Nitto Mud Grapplers...they are pretty quiet for an aggressive tread
and work well in all conditions.
They look gnarly tooooooo!:cool:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX71.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6627)

jo

nfpgasmask
01/16/2008, 04:28 PM
I dunno. Those tires just look tacky. Way to much crap molded into that rubber. I like a more classic look, but that's just me.

I think I will be going with the new BFG M/Ts, that is, if I decide on a little lift.

Bart

ZEUS
01/16/2008, 05:06 PM
33 thousand miles. At long last, the seven year old 'Stones are worn out enough to justify replacement. I'm thinking Nitto.Stock size or UPgrade?

JoFotoz
01/16/2008, 07:48 PM
I dunno. Those tires just look tacky. Way to much crap molded into that rubber.

WHAT!!!...this...from the guy that welded/stuck "Horns" on his roof rack!!!

Dude.....!

jo

ZEUS
01/17/2008, 06:42 AM
HAHA! He got ya there, Bart. That's awesome!

don moore
01/17/2008, 07:07 AM
OUCH.....ROTFLMAO.good one J;)oe

4X4 UFO
01/17/2008, 07:35 AM
Chopper, I can highly recommend the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I've had them on my Tacoma pickup for 3 years, and I put a set on my VX as soon as I bought it. They have good grip, and not much noise at all. The sidewall "art" is a little more subtle than on the Mud Grapplers............

WormGod
01/17/2008, 08:13 AM
Chopper, I can highly recommend the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I've had them on my Tacoma pickup for 3 years, and I put a set on my VX as soon as I bought it. They have good grip, and not much noise at all. The sidewall "art" is a little more subtle than on the Mud Grapplers............

+1

Great tire. Very minimal highway rumble and great on dry pavement, wet pavement, and in snow. Good all season tire for daily drivers who have weekend plans. ;)

MSHardeman
01/17/2008, 08:16 AM
+2

I've had a set of Terra Grapplers on the VX for two years now and don't have any complaints. Quiet on dry pavement, great in the snow and ice, and they do wonders off road in Moab. I'll probably get another set after these wear out, but that could take a while.

Chopper
01/17/2008, 04:05 PM
I'd bought the Dune Grapplers a while back (Discount Tire)when I picked them up, they were too "soft" and the flame sidewalls were a bit much for me. One of the techs at work has 'em on his pickup. I'm thinking Terras, they've worked out really well on the H2 for over three years now....but (you knew there was a but) the Lightning truck has been running 404s for some time now, and I absolutely love them! Tenacious grip, predictable break away, and pretty good wear, and theVX doesn't go off pavement. I just think the Terras look more in character with the VX... (and I don't blast around in 0177 at all) Terra Grapplers it is! (just in case I make it to Moab)

DK
01/18/2008, 03:12 PM
A fundamental question about the Terra Grappler. All the 18' size are wider than my stock Bridgstones @ 245. What would be the best width to go with or does it even matter? Also what's a good price to pay for them?

Thanks.

Chopper
01/18/2008, 03:29 PM
Depends on how much you are willing to lift or trim. 265s and you'll be fine...a little shave perhaps. 159 or so, at Discount Tire Direct. We have one here, so I don't know about shipping. (went and looked...255s @165ea. Fla. residents get a 25 buck coupon.)

tomdietrying
01/18/2008, 04:59 PM
You can go with 285/60/18 and NOT do any trimming provided you do the inexpensive (maybe $135) OME 912lift first.

BTW - Nitto Terra Grappler is the way to go.

Peace.
Tom

psychos2
01/18/2008, 05:18 PM
Terra Grapplers for sure. I am on my second set. I think I managed to squeeze 45,000 to 50,000 miles out of my first set. shawn

DK
01/18/2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks, guys.

nfpgasmask
01/19/2008, 04:09 PM
WHAT!!!...this...from the guy that welded/stuck "Horns" on his roof rack!!!

Dude.....!

jo

First of all, those are spikes, not horns, and imo, there is nothing tacky about it. The scales, teeth and general excessiveness is what I don't like about the Nittos. Its like the flames on the dune grapplers. Its just tacky, imo. What's next? Skulls and Iron Crosses? I meant no offense, like I said, its just my opinion. I like my stuff more plain and not all "AutoZoned out". And those spikes were home made, brother.

Bart

don moore
01/19/2008, 05:01 PM
I kinda liked the spiked look.....MAD MAX would be proud..
I think the tires are cool looking ..I just cant afford them..plus my new VX came with geolanders and a set of the stock wheels /tires..but maybe in the future the BFG M/T..;)

Griffin
01/19/2008, 08:22 PM
I run 285/60 18s at stock height with no triming and no lift. I guess just lucky? I was thinking of getting new wheels and trying the bfg A/Ts with a little smaller tire, kinda like what daver has.....

Not trying to jock..... lol

Chopper
01/20/2008, 02:47 AM
You're not the only one...several others have gone 285 and gotten away with it...but it's really a bit too wide for our stock wheels. They look like baloons with the wheels "sucked" in. A rim, an inch wider looks much better.

ZEUS
01/20/2008, 10:25 AM
First of all, those are spikes, not horns, and imo, there is nothing tacky about it. The scales, teeth and general excessiveness is what I don't like about the Nittos. Its like the flames on the dune grapplers. Its just tacky, imo. What's next? Skulls and Iron Crosses? I meant no offense, like I said, its just my opinion. I like my stuff more plain and not all "AutoZoned out". And those spikes were home made, brother.

BartSkulls and crosses on tires..? Never. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11203&referrerid=1999

I think sidewall treatments are fun(ny) - they only work on certain rides though. The MG's work on Ldub's VX cuz they blend in with the rest of what he has going on. Scary, I know! ;) I think they look good on Joe's ride too. But basket horns, spikes, teets... Basket spikes just BEG for aggressive treads to balance things out! While I think your VX wears spikes well, I seriously think the whole ride would look so much better sitting on 33" knobbys!! It would be like aggressive-stealth... or something. Now when you get the MG's, paint your 2 longer spikes fleshtone and give them some nipples! :p Just razzing you, man, you know I like your VX mods.

Ldub
01/20/2008, 11:23 AM
Skulls and crosses on tires..? Never. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11203&referrerid=1999

I think sidewall treatments are fun(ny) - they only work on certain rides though. The MG's work on Ldub's VX cuz they blend in with the rest of what he has going on. Scary, I know! ;) I think they look good on Joe's ride too. But basket horns, spikes, teets... Basket spikes just BEG for aggressive treads to balance things out! While I think your VX wears spikes well, I seriously think the whole ride would look so much better sitting on 33" knobbys!! It would be like aggressive-stealth... or something. Now when you get the MG's, paint your 2 longer spikes fleshtone and give them some nipples! :p Just razzing you, man, you know I like your VX mods.

LOL, I was waiting for you to post that link Zeus. Can't wait to "unleash the beast" in May.:smilewink

ZEUS
01/20/2008, 11:46 AM
LOL, I was waiting for you to post that link Zeus. Can't wait to "unleash the beast" in May.:smilewinkAnd I can't wait to see what kind of trouble you will be able to get yourself into then! :bgwo:

JHarris1385
01/20/2008, 01:17 PM
Skulls and crosses on tires..? Never. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11203&referrerid=1999

While I think your VX wears spikes well, I seriously think the whole ride would look so much better sitting on 33" knobbys!! It would be like aggressive-stealth... or something. :p Just razzing you, man, you know I like your VX mods.

PJ DIRT GRIPS - I have always thought your VX would look good with those and honestly maybe even better with the new bfg m/t's - as you have said.

DK
01/20/2008, 05:29 PM
I'm looking at the Nitto site and I see Terra G's in a 255/55R18 109S size (noted as Extra Load). If I put these on do you think I could avoid any mods (it's so damn hard to find anyone in my area who knows VCross.)

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/20/2008, 05:44 PM
I plan on (someday) replacing my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's with Dueler AT Revo's! 35k on these tires and drove to work today in 12" of snow and they still rock!

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 08:30 AM

Don't worry, man. I do have plans. Like I said, once I wear the tread down on my BFG A/Ts, I will probably lift and equip some meaty BFG M/Ts. The spikes may go eventually once I get my light rack fixed right. Only time will tell, and money is gonna be tight for me this year. :(

And I agree about Ldubs ride, he wears his mods well.

:) Bart

JoFotoz
01/21/2008, 06:51 PM
First of all, those are spikes, not horns, and imo, there is nothing tacky about it. I said, its just my opinion. I like my stuff more plain and not all "AutoZoned out". And those spikes were home made, brother.

Bart

Its just that , when you said....

""I like a more classic look,("more plain") but that's just me.""

That just didnt jive with the spikes!

Hey , no worries dude........we all do what WE like to OUR rides.

atb

jo

nfpgasmask
01/22/2008, 08:16 AM
Its just that , when you said....

""I like a more classic look,("more plain") but that's just me.""

That just didnt jive with the spikes!

Hey , no worries dude........we all do what WE like to OUR rides.

atb

jo

LOL, I dunno, my spikes are pretty basic looking to me...., but like you said, to each his own! ;)

Bart

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 08:29 AM
Thought I'd chime in.

I have 33x12.50 Wranglers on mine & hate em (never have liked Wranglers but they were on it when I got it).

I'll probably go with Micky Thompsons next year (unless someone talks me out of it first).

ZEUS
01/22/2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/et_drag_radial.jpgYou mean these right, Tom?

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 10:52 AM
Yup. Vulcanized the tread right off them bad boys.

We've got a set of Hooziers here at work - wonder if I could mount them just for a photo-op:confused:

ZEUS
01/22/2008, 11:01 AM
BTW, I had to make sure I inserted that image correctly just so you couldn't make fun of the thumbnail. Moncha really cleaned up the attachment process!

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 11:13 AM
"Moncha really cleaned up the attachment process!"

Cool but may be moot. I can't even type right. It was supposed to be Hoosiers.