PDA

View Full Version : New engine!

Pepino
01/16/2008, 12:21 PM
i am planning to change the engine on my vx to a more powerfull one i was thinking about putting an srt-10 viper engine or a srt-8 charger engine or even a srt-6 crossfire engine does ayunone know how much would the cost of this change would be? or if it would even be possible?

thanks

AlaskaVX
01/16/2008, 12:29 PM
LOL, well I picked up a VX with a LS-1 already in there and let me tell you there is a LOT of work/fab work involved to get that sucker running, and half the battle was already done for me. Good luck!

Anything can be done it's just $$$$$$$$
If I had to throw out a number I would say this change will run you about $10,000 plus a lot of your time.

JHarris1385
01/16/2008, 12:48 PM
So let me get this right, are you truly running the LS1 in yours currently?

AlaskaVX
01/16/2008, 01:02 PM
No I have 2 VX's... one LS-1 project, and one SCed Daily Driver

ZEUS
01/16/2008, 01:25 PM
That is the coachreed project, no? I read quite a few of his posts on that swap... but why did he bail? Good luck with the rest of it!

Knigh7s
01/16/2008, 01:30 PM
Is this your VX from CoachReed? (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4812&highlight=ls1+engine+swap)

It would be cool to see an SRT swap, but I personally think the money isn't really worth the swap.

johnnyapollo
01/16/2008, 01:45 PM
As I recall coachreed wanted to spend more time with his kid and less time on the floor of his garage - things just built up for him to the point where he had to make some decisions, and the VX had to go. Too bad, as he was very close to gettin 'er done!

-- John

ZEUS
01/16/2008, 01:54 PM
That's too bad... it is also a tale I may have to follow for a few of my projects (without the kid, of course) - tired of having so many incomplete projects but I don't want to stay at home all the time to finish them either!

Pepino, I don't know how you would shoehorn a V-10 into a VX or what drivetrain you would bolt it to or if the suspension could even support all that extra weight - I would give up before even starting that project! I wouldn't choose a Chrysler motor of any size for a swap though either. There are much better options out there.

JHarris1385
01/16/2008, 01:58 PM
So after Coach sold it....Alaska you have had it for 2 years and its still in the same state or how close is it?

AlaskaVX
01/16/2008, 02:36 PM
Yup had it a while, blew every last dime I had to get it and I have been saving money to complete the project.

It seems I can only save 3,000-3,500 before something goes wrong with the daily driver that needs to be fixed. Just redid my CV's with the mag-tech boots so hopefully those will last a while, CV's are expensive!

CoastieCosta567
01/16/2008, 03:03 PM
As far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong here, the engine swap is a no biggy, yeah a long project, but can be done. the problem with a swap is not really on the engine, but the tranny. The isuzu tranny has a max torque load, and alot of pawer will kill you tranny in no time, but ofcourse if your changing the tranny as well then theres no problem. My projet that want to do 1 day in like 1 million years from now is a deisal highorn 5 speed swap or the the deisal engine the the rodeos have in other parts of the world(it's a isuzu truck rodeo). thats what i sugest that. i read on a isuzu deisal swap, that most deisal engins will fit with our 4L30-E Trannies. Thats my slice of openion and advise.

Chopper
01/16/2008, 03:22 PM
Pepino is trippin'....sounds like a kid

CoastieCosta567
01/16/2008, 08:01 PM
Not trying to pop your bubble....... well ok i am. But really, If you really end up doing the project.... well it's like......:rolleyes: Trying to plump a 800Lb women in a airplane bathroom, and if you do manage to fill her tank..... holy $**t, i'll give you props. But hey, there is still hope. good luck and i'll really would love to see how it turns out.:bwgy:

WormGod
01/17/2008, 08:17 AM
Hate to say it, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I heard Chip Foose has an opening in one of his bays. He also yearns for $20k to put something in it. :p

Screw it, drop a Boxer 2.5 T/C engine in there and cut some body weight while you are at it. ;)

Good luck meng.

Triathlete
01/17/2008, 08:59 AM
For a mere $17,500 you can pick one of these (http://turnkeyenginesupply.com/or_60770.htm) up to drop in the engine bay...
http://turnkeyenginesupply.com/images/products/1024/twin_turbo1.jpg
...of course you will still need a few extra dollars for all the fab work to make it fit!:cool:

770 HP twin turbo LS2...730 ft lbs torque...:_drool::_drool::_drool:

Chopper
01/17/2008, 03:00 PM
What the Hell.....you're dreaming dream big, go for the upcoming LS3( from the new ZR1) supercharged...but in a lovely, compact, package. You're gonna see great things from this engine.