PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Reminder(or:Colonic time!)

Chopper
01/13/2008, 05:04 AM
Most people don't realize that "the other fluids" in their vehicles have a limited lifespan...it's not just the oil in the engine and gearboxes that needs periodic changing. Many have been experiencing ABS problems, and soon you are going to hear of ps pump failures. Auto stores sell dip strips to test the moisture (water) content in these fluids. They are cheap and easy to use. If it's been over two years, flush 'em and change 'em out. Cheap insurance;) Spent three quality hours yesterday....hooked up the Wynn's tranny scrubber, then put in new Mobil 1. Did a flush and fill on the brakes and the P/S. Man...we both feel better:bwgy:

ZEUS
01/13/2008, 11:40 AM
Good tip!

So-CalVX
01/13/2008, 07:08 PM
my buddy told me the transmission was a life time sealed thing. I told him it wasn't. Who's wrong? And how do I do a fluid change?

etlsport
01/13/2008, 07:33 PM
even if you could last the entire life of the vx with that transmission fluid.. why take the risk.. you can relatively easily drain about 6-7 quarts of the fluid and refill it on your own
http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx/Technical/4L30E_01.asp

btw.. its no problem to just drain whats in the tank for the power steering then pour in new ATF (NOT POWER STEERING FLUID!) to refill it every few months isnt it... this will keep the fluid more or less fresh?

nfpgasmask
01/14/2008, 11:54 AM
I had my brakes done and brake fluid changed in April 06. My ABS light has been on for the last 3 months.

So, can brake fluid cause the ABS light to come on?

Bart

AlaskaVX
01/14/2008, 02:55 PM
Yes if your Brake fluid is not filled the ABS light will come on.

Chopper
01/20/2008, 03:49 AM
I had my brakes done and brake fluid changed in April 06. My ABS light has been on for the last 3 months.

So, can brake fluid cause the ABS light to come on?

BartUltimately, yes. ABS systems are pretty much all alike. Ours is nearly identical to a GM unit. The General says the moisture drawn into brake fluid (brake fluid attracts water) over time, tends to build up at the valves in the ABS unit, and will cause the unit to fail. Since you don't know when (or even if) the previous owner changed it out, the damage was likely well on its way before you ever got the machine:mad: ABS is almost never used in day to day driving (unless you drive like me:bwgr:) so the water just sits there...it's a good thing to slap the binders good and hard every so often (from say sixty or so)to get the ABS working for a few seconds, this moves that water along. Bart, that ABS pump is easy to change out... a used one shouldn't cost too much. Just had a totalled Trooper here two weeks ago...if I'd known, I'd have yanked the pump and sent it off to you. (I can't strip 'em, but in a front end total, the insurance salvage never would notice something like that....half cuts come with them in all the time....salvage doesn't place much value on them)

Ldub
01/20/2008, 08:12 AM
Ultimately, yes. ABS systems are pretty much all alike. Ours is nearly identical to a GM unit. The General says the moisture drawn into brake fluid (brake fluid attracts water) over time, tends to build up at the valves in the ABS unit, and will cause the unit to fail. Since you don't know when (or even if) the previous owner changed it out, the damage was likely well on its way before you ever got the machine:mad: ABS is almost never used in day to day driving (unless you drive like me:bwgr:) so the water just sits there...it's a good thing to slap the binders good and hard every so often (from say sixty or so)to get the ABS working for a few seconds, this moves that water along. Bart, that ABS pump is easy to change out... a used one shouldn't cost too much. Just had a totalled Trooper here two weeks ago...if I'd known, I'd have yanked the pump and sent it off to you. (I can't strip 'em, but in a front end total, the insurance salvage never would notice something like that....half cuts come with them in all the time....salvage doesn't place much value on them)

I was wondering the same thing every time I read a post on ABS failure, thinking if it gets some use (the ABS system) every week or two, it would be beneficial in keeping the seals, valves, pump etc. "limber".
Not a problem here in the ice covered mondo tundra...it gets a workout in the winter at least.
In the more humid months, I've seen water (I assume) floating on top of the brake fluid in the res. & removed it with a spoon that I bent the handle so it looked like an "L". Then just top it off.(note to self: don't eat cocoa krispies with that spoon)
Probably should do another flush this spring before Moab.:_wrench:

Chopper
01/20/2008, 01:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing every time I read a post on ABS failure, thinking if it gets some use (the ABS system) every week or two, it would be beneficial in keeping the seals, valves, pump etc. "limber".
Not a problem here in the ice covered mondo tundra...it gets a workout in the winter at least.
In the more humid months, I've seen water (I assume) floating on top of the brake fluid in the res. & removed it with a spoon that I bent the handle so it looked like an "L". Then just top it off.(note to self: don't eat cocoa krispies with that spoon)
Probably should do another flush this spring before Moab.:_wrench:

I'd flush that mess asap brother. Wouldn't have been water, it goes to the bottom. I'd run a quart thru there...at least. A Mitivac is even better...just always pull from the wheel farthest from the ABS pump

Ldub
01/20/2008, 01:33 PM
I'll get on it when the the grass turns green again, what's your favorite flavor of brake fluid?:_wrench:

Chopper
01/20/2008, 03:43 PM
I use Redline, but that's overkill. Anything synthetic is fine (synth will not attract water)