PDA

View Full Version : Do big/chubby drivers fit in the VX?

reptiles
01/12/2008, 04:12 PM
Greetings,

I'm looking to purchase my first VX but I've never actually drove one (or even sat inside.)

In reading the posts in this forum, and the reviews online... I see persistent references to "designed for the Japanese market" or for "Gen X'ers" or targeted to ironmen (athletes) etc.

So until I actually do a test drive, could someone possibly comment on the possibility of a 40something, out-of-shape baby boomer fitting in a VX?

I do have a belly, and currently drive another small vehicle (looks like a 94 Mitsubishi Eclipse, but its badged as Eagle Talon) but still...

Are there any large guys or plus size girls in the VX?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. I lost 12 pounds since Jan 1st and I'm going to the gym every other day.

JHarris1385
01/12/2008, 04:33 PM
What kind of lbs are we looking at? The only fit problem might be that the seats could go back another inch further for us that are taller than 6 ft. Otherwise you should be fine.

reptiles
01/12/2008, 04:42 PM
I'm 5'10 and 265. I'm hoping to lose at least another 50 pounds.

Regards,

Mark

tomdietrying
01/12/2008, 04:45 PM
You'll be fine...........so when you gonna find one to test drive?
Peace.
Tom

JHarris1385
01/12/2008, 04:57 PM
Geez thats fine. I would not worry untill you hit the 400's.

mdwyer
01/12/2008, 06:56 PM
Mind you, you could be 3'11" and 73lbs, and you'd still have a tough time getting into the back seats... :) The front seats, though, are less of a problem. I wouldn't want to fit any 7' people in there, though.

JHarris1385
01/12/2008, 07:23 PM
Mind you, you could be 3'11" and 73lbs, and you'd still have a tough time getting into the back seats... :) The front seats, though, are less of a problem. I wouldn't want to fit any 7' people in there, though.

= Need for seat extenders....

navistar
01/12/2008, 07:37 PM
In all my reading I've never encountered any mention of the VX being built for a Japanese market (almost all the VXs were sent to the US) or for "Gen X'ers" (are they smaller).

I'm XL and there's plenty of room. Seats adjust forward and backward. Steering wheel adjusts up and down.

I could not, however easily get in or out of the back seat area. It's actually easier to go through the back door, close it behind you and climb over the rear seats and let someone else drive. The back seat area is huge when you're in it.

Find a VX and get in. Set up behind the steering wheel and FEEL IT. There's nothing like driving a VX!!!

I have two.

Joe_Black
01/12/2008, 08:24 PM
I'm 6'3" and 250lbs and find all the seats comfortable and have no difficultly getting in or out of the back. When I first test-drove in '99 the rear entry/egress was a little tricky, but if you can get someone my size in the back of a Karmann Ghia then anything is possible. :bwgy:

reptiles
01/12/2008, 08:27 PM
Many thanks! I will continue my quest for a VX.

Cheers,

Mark

In all my reading I've never encountered any mention of the VX being built for a Japanese market (almost all the VXs were sent to the US) or for "Gen X'ers" (are they smaller).

I'm XL and there's plenty of room. Seats adjust forward and backward. Steering wheel adjusts up and down.

I could not, however easily get in or out of the back seat area. It's actually easier to go through the back door, close it behind you and climb over the rear seats and let someone else drive. The back seat area is huge when you're in it.

Find a VX and get in. Set up behind the steering wheel and FEEL IT. There's nothing like driving a VX!!!

I have two.

WILLY
01/12/2008, 10:01 PM
I have had a 350 lb.friend in my passenger and that is a wee bit tight in regards to him gitting the seatbelt on himself lol,i had to do it for him but after that hurdle it was not bad and the extra weght made the vx ride smoother lmfao,we both laughed histaricly about that:p
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/03-Photo_3.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/07-Photo_7.jpg

Dumke
01/12/2008, 10:50 PM
I'm 5'10 and 265. I'm hoping to lose at least another 50 pounds.

Regards,

Mark

LMFAO. I am... well I dont know how tall I am but Um 6' with heels?? I am around 276 or something like that and I fit fine in back and front seat. Well a squeeze to get into the back with the seat but if you know trick its not that hard.. And no i dont climb through the back door :p , But ya plenty of roam no sweat.

Seriously it has alot of room so you shouldnt have a problem.

Edit::: Oh and if you my friend can fit in a talon you cant deffinately fit in a VX

Knigh7s
01/12/2008, 11:47 PM
I'm 6'6" @ 250+/- a few pounds. I fit comfortably, just have to tilt my head when I know I'm about to hit a bump or something so I don't bang my head on the ceiling. It is also pretty easy to get in and out of the rear seats.

On another note, its nice to find another fellow 1g dsm driver. I'm working on buying my third 1g dsm :)

Chopper
01/13/2008, 04:40 AM
6'3", 200lbs. (you guys make me feel tiny:rolleyes:) Unless you have kids, pull the back seats out, much more useful without them, and no one(older than 10) in their right mind is gonna want to sit back there anyway

etlsport
01/13/2008, 09:45 AM
let me know when u have some free time, me and another local VXer regularly get together for a brew or two, id be ok lettin you sit in my vx and probably take her for a spin

reptiles
01/13/2008, 09:50 PM
I'm 6'6" @ 250+/- a few pounds. I fit comfortably, just have to tilt my head when I know I'm about to hit a bump or something so I don't bang my head on the ceiling. It is also pretty easy to get in and out of the rear seats.

On another note, its nice to find another fellow 1g dsm driver. I'm working on buying my third 1g dsm :)

Actually, I've always owned AWD/4x4 cars/trucks and a turbo is always a nice touch. I wonder if I can adapt a Mitsu 4G63T engine in a VX --that would be sick.

I have three 1G cars now; two are street legal (one is in upstate NY and is only used for ice racing) I love restoring and modding vehicles.

Cheers,

Mark
http://www.PhillyDSM.com

tom4bren
01/14/2008, 08:24 AM
The seat extenders are a very good option if the rear seat needs to be used for passengers but you do lose 4" of slide adjustment on the passenger seat (rearward). This hasn't been a problem for us but thought I'd give you the warning.

Also, if you do have a tendancy to enter your VX from the rear, I installed Tone's receiver hitch & then added a folding step. It makes life much simpler. Mine still functions as a step even though it doubles as my rear license plate mount (just have to get the &^$% LED lights working on it).

One last suggestion would be to add the NERF bars. They help with entrance/egress issues since our seats are somewhat on the tall side.

Since everyone else 'fessed up', I will too. I'm 5'9" and 200 lbs. My only issue is that I'm always hitting my head on the grab handle while driving.

circmand
01/14/2008, 11:09 AM
5:6 275 you bunch of light weights. By the way I fit fine except for the occasional head buts to the cieling or strap. I also was able to shove my dad in the back once he is in his 70s and about 5:10. Though I do not think I will get that opportunity again.

etlsport
01/14/2008, 11:18 AM
heh! i beat everyone here! 5'7 135! (yes ONE thirty five!) haha.. i do hit my head on the ceiling on occasion but thats because philadelphia roads are awful.... a buddy of mine is 5'8 220 and he got himself into the back seat no problem, he also sat back there comfortably with a couple of girls for a 2 hour drive

of course now i dont have back seats anymore... still have a few people ride back there on the floor though.. heh

JHarris1385
01/14/2008, 11:57 AM
6'2 200 - Just fall victim to a few head bumps here and there, and that is even with the chair back at an almost 90 degree angle.

circmand
01/14/2008, 12:15 PM
Did he say he was comfortable or was he just not complaining because he was back there with 2 girls?

Dumke
01/14/2008, 01:27 PM
Seriously YOU WILL BE FINE! I have been in every seat with my tubby tubb butt back there no problem its actually quit comfey back there. What I dont get what are all of you doing rally racing in you vx to hit your head :confused:. I dont think I have hit my head once. Course I dont sit up right like grandma either.

nfpgasmask
01/14/2008, 01:32 PM
Seriously YOU WILL BE FINE! I have been in every seat with my tubby tubb butt back there no problem its actually quit comfey back there. What I dont get what are all of you doing rally racing in you vx to hit your head :confused:. I dont think I have hit my head once. Course I dont sit up right like grandma either.

Man, this post reminds me of when you said at Moab last year, "Man, Heat and fat don't mix!" That still has me laughing.

:) Bart

nfpgasmask
01/14/2008, 01:34 PM

The best advice yet. From the moment I test drove a 99 Kaiser, my mind was made. I have never been in another vehicle that has the feel of a VX.

Good luck!

Bart

Dumke
01/14/2008, 04:00 PM
Man, this post reminds me of when you said at Moab last year, "Man, Heat and fat don't mix!" That still has me laughing.

:) Bart

Well Bart anyone that says otherwise is LYING! :bgwo:

Chopper
01/14/2008, 04:54 PM
Actually, I've always owned AWD/4x4 cars/trucks and a turbo is always a nice touch. I wonder if I can adapt a Mitsu 4G63T engine in a VX --that would be sick.

I have three 1G cars now; two are street legal (one is in upstate NY and is only used for ice racing) I love restoring and modding vehicles.

Cheers,

Mark
http://www.PhillyDSM.com
ICE RACING!!!! Oh yeah....you and I are gonna get along just fine:bwgr: I grew up in upper Bucks, my son does the "tuner" thing at a shop in Doylestown. I'm headed up that way later this year. We gotta get together. I'm gonna use the auto train, so even if I don't bring 0177, I'll bring something fun.