http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22575262/

-- John

Joe_Black
01/10/2008, 06:30 AM
Think I'd rather have a Yaris LB. ;)

JHarris1385
01/10/2008, 06:44 AM
Where do I sign up for one of those?

No really....I dont like the looks at all. But...if you wreck it buy another one.

johnnyapollo
01/10/2008, 06:48 AM
With the Yaris' base price of $12000, I can buy 4 Nanos and have extra money for gas and towels to wipe the sweat from my face as I race (well, sorta race at 60 MPH) along with the windows down (no AC) and hope I don't run into something, plus I get to enjoy Atlanta's abundant smog. But then again, if I do run into something I'll have 3 backup Nanos to drive. It's basically a desposable car. Imagine putting an electric motor and some batteries into one and it'll get you thinking.

One could probably start an Indian aftermarket company to install electric motors and batteries over there, then import them to the US and still come out way cheaper than any hybrid or electric currently in US production - say less than $10k retail (and still make a tidy profit). That's the way to think about this IMHO.

-- John

JHarris1385
01/10/2008, 06:58 AM
I agree....
That is where I was leading to...a dissposable car.
They said the "delux" model will have the AC plus I checked out the mentioned Maruti 800.

circmand
01/10/2008, 07:03 AM
Do you really think this car will come equipped with all the safety equipment now required in the USA? My bet would be once you bring it up to code it would cost as much as the Yaris or other cars. Unless you can get them listed as an enclosed motorcycle or golf cart

Joe_Black
01/10/2008, 08:24 AM
Disposable car? Landfill administrators just gave a collective shudder as the hair on every environmentalist's neck stood on end. :eek: What we need is one you can grind up to make another. ;)

If you want an uber-clean small city car look no further than one that runs on air. Literally. Yes, I said air: http://www.theaircar.com/

http://www.theaircar.com/models_images/model_family.jpg

Oh, and it comes with an airbag and air conditioning!

nfpgasmask
01/10/2008, 08:30 AM
Wow, you would think with the size of the vehicle and its "no frills" setup, they would have AT LEAST made it run on an alternative energy source.

Bart

nfpgasmask
01/10/2008, 08:34 AM
http://www.theaircar.com/models_images/model_family.jpg

Wow, i just read a little about the air car....sounds promising. I would love to have one of these as my daily commuter, and keep the VX for weekend fun in the mountains.

But alas, I fear it will still be to little to late. :(

Bart

circmand
01/10/2008, 09:54 AM
I realize cheap cars have to be under powered and very small (less materials less material cost Good MPG low power) But why do they all have to be so damn ugly?

custom
01/10/2008, 12:20 PM
What kind of insurance do you need on a $2,500 car? Wouldn't it be totaled after almost any accident?

johnnyapollo
01/10/2008, 12:54 PM
At that price you could buy it outright and just have liability in most states.

-- John

Chopper
01/10/2008, 04:13 PM
This thing isn't coming here. It's not designed for us. But third worlders had better evolve to breathe blue air really quickly (up till now, all Tata's have been 2cycles)

Ldub
01/10/2008, 04:16 PM
This thing isn't coming here. It's not designed for us. But third worlders had better evolve to breathe blue air really quickly (up till now, all Tata's have been 2cycles)

At least if they used Castrol (preferably R) it would smell like heaven...to me anyway.:smilewink

Scott Harness
01/10/2008, 04:23 PM
Of all the small cars I think I like the Smart car the best. Its already here. I saw one in Dallas a few months ago. Wide spread next year. Looks better in person.

mdwyer
01/10/2008, 06:48 PM
I realize cheap cars have to be under powered and very small (less materials less material cost Good MPG low power) But why do they all have to be so damn ugly?

Yeah, that Nano looks like they stole the wheels off a shopping cart.

I'm with Scott Harness: I like how the SMART cars look. I could be seen in a FourTwo without too much embarassment. :)