PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out TOD, installing Teras

Randii
06/11/2003, 05:44 PM
I can't quite let this one go.... I know a few VXers received credits toward Tera gears in the Moab 'Zu Zoo VI raffle, and that they won't fit the TOD gearbox.

I liked the TOD I drove in the ARB Project Compass Trooper, but I'd trade it in an instant ( heresey! :eek: ) for the Tera 3.07:1 gears. Not a huge change from the 2.48:1 setup, but one that you'd definitel feel!

It would take some doing -- but I think it is possible. Swap out the TOD and swap in a salvage gear-driven case, with Teras.

Just brainstorming, here, the primary issue is mounting the transmission to the transfer case... does anyone have pictures of the front of a TOD case? I have pix of the front of a non-TOD case! :D

Secondary alterations would need made, possible ... changes to driveshaft length, floorboard alterations, and some minor electrical work. On the outside of the envelope, I could see crossmember and exhaust mods, but that seems unlikely.

Anyone got the time, desire, and moolah to go exploring on this one? I'll help.... I think I can get the transfer case that mounts to the stock Isuzu auto tranny for under $250....

Randii

Randii
06/11/2003, 05:45 PM
BTW, if you wanted a manual transmission, this would be the time to slip one in... it wouldn't add all that much to the complexity (but would likely add loads to the cost!).

Randii

Green Dragon
06/11/2003, 06:21 PM
Randii: I think the VXers that won the Terra gears should trade them for the 5.38s R&P for the front & rear axles If they would fit.

1st gear ratio X Low Xfer ratio X gear ratio (R&P)= Crawl ratio

Stock VX Crawl ratio is 29 (2.856:1 x2.480:1 X 4.10)
With 5.38 R&P is 38
With 3.07 Terras is 35.9

http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=68;t=010931

No way can I see trading a Manual for an Automatic.

P.S Where are your Moab photos?

Dallas4u
06/11/2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
Tone, You tried to sell me some too, did you know these gears would not work for my VX? I may be Naive, but not stupid.:confused:

Right, I'm sure Tone was trying to rip you off. Come on Tone, say it ain't so!!! NOOOOO!!! TONE!!!!!

:D

Tone
06/12/2003, 06:01 AM
Gee thanks Spazz - I was under the impression they would work as they have been installed on Troopers with TOD - I’m offended you even dared mention that word.

I didn’t find out until yesterday (6/11 - had not seen this post) when Tera got back with me - they are not even 100% sure - see mail below

From: "Jim Walker - Tera Manufacturing Inc." <j.walker@teraflx.com>
To: "Tone Monday" <tone@tonemonday.com>
Subject: RE: Terra Low307 gear reduction for Isuzu VehiCROSS
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:32:23 -0600
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Importance: Normal

I would love to be able to sell it to you. But unless we actually install one I can't tell you if it will work or not. Isuzu's are difficult enough because they never use the same components in their drive trains. We had a hard time figuring out all the little quirks with there normal applications.__Being in a different vehicle you never know if something is different until you pull it apart. I wish I could help you out more.

Randii
06/12/2003, 10:38 AM
Randii: I think the VXers that won the Terra gears should trade them for the 5.38s R&P for the front & rear axles If they would fit.
The 5.38s should fit... and that's an interesting idea. The crawl numbers definitely work in favor of the R&Ps, but you'd have to be running at least 33" tires IMHO not to be revving too high during normal use, especially on the freeway.

Worth following up on, for sure, but keep in mind that they don't HAVE to swap, and that their certificates were for specific projects, not general shop credit. Couldn't hurt to ask, tho! :D

No way can I see trading a Manual for an Automatic.
That's a personal preference. :p No way I could see driving a slushbox, either (but 210:1 gears will do that to a soul). :p

Where are your Moab photos?
Still in the camera. :eek: Running behind! :(

Randii

Dallas4u
06/12/2003, 11:00 AM
Emailing Tone directly to get in contact with him is usually easier than posting on the forum and waiting for him (or anyone for that matter) to sift through the messages, find the message, read it, and post an answer.

Tone
06/12/2003, 06:54 PM
I respond to emails that have legitimate questions in them that I actually RECEIVE (try sending again if I don’t answer you immediately) and can anwer.

No one can delete but Scott.

What urgent question can I answer for you now?

No I don’t know what caused the exhaust to break.

See the post above relating the TeraLow that I received at 10am AFTER I emailed you the nite before after finding a listing for the 307 for Isuzu’s with Automatics.

I do not read all posts, nor reread posts after I post with few exceptions.

Buh bye

Randii
06/13/2003, 05:53 PM
Terra Gears......... Will they or will they not fit VX.
They will not -- that's why I started this thread in the first place.

To get Tera transfer case gears into a VX would require swapping in a different (non-TOD) transfer case. Anyone wanna?

Randii

Baxman
06/13/2003, 09:38 PM
This is a very tempting offer, especially with oversized tires and a blower that likes higher revs. I don't think I could give up my TOD - it's very effective for 90% of my driving, especially here in the Pacific North Wet where the roads are slick. Oh, but to have that lower gearing and a manual gearbox...

Randii, you might try Allan (myabbaka@aol.com) who is a more hardcore off-roader.

Thanks for the offer!

Rick

MrCrowley
06/14/2003, 07:09 PM
Ive never researched into it, but if I ever get a second VX, I was going to try the following- Most Troopers except old gen Troopers and the VX are very similar in the frame, engine, etc category. Possibly finding slightly used or refurbished parts except the engine (3.5 rocks for isuzus) from a pre TOD or a later model manual trooper. Plus the 3.5 SHOULD bolt to a 3.2's tranny (anyone?) This would be a complete change of 5 speed tranny, transfer case, driveshaft, and of course mounting. basically you would have a VX with the previous items completely replaced. Can you imagine how fast a 5 speed would be off the line as stock first gear runs up to 45 mph! Teralows are made for manual transfer case troopers, AND lower ring and pinnies AND some ARB's AND a Supercharger! Watch Out Moab. On a lighter note- at least Isuzu was kind enough to provide us with clutch holes in the firewall! LOL. I think stealing off Trooper parts is the key for any major mods we do Unless fully changing in another manufacturer. Mucho dineros though, and Isuzu has never let me down in 15 years so far.

MrCrowley
06/14/2003, 07:17 PM
Oh I forgot. Troopers come in S, LS, and Limited. The base models S were optional 5 speed with manual transfer case up until 2002 (Rare). Maybe someone could keep their eyes open for a wrecked one with low miles to boot.