PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's classics?

VXD959
01/09/2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry guys...The Vehicross was not included in the list...Does he know if it even exists?

http://blogs.chron.com/carsandtrucks/

January 08, 2008
Tomorrow's classics?
In a previous blog we batted around opinions on which cars built today will emerge as collector cars decades from now. Hagerty Insurance hopes to give collectors special insight into the future with its recently announced Hot List of future classics.

In determining the Hagerty Hot List, Hagerty analyzed the reasons today's collector cars are such hot commodities: pop-culture popularity, limited production numbers and the style of the next generation of collectors. The company included a wide range of models that span market segments and price ranges: cars that are more affordable, fun to drive and still enticing for future generations.
These picks are as follows:

Cadillac XLR-V Roadster: Under the hood sits a hand-built 4.4-liter V8 that's been supercharged and puts out 443 horsepower. This is a serious domestic roadster that competes with the Mercedes SL-Class, Porsche 911 Cabriolet and Jaguar XKR, as well as the four-seat BMW M6 convertible.

Lotus Exige S: Most practical people will find the Lotus Exige is a miserable little car -- that is if you are shopping for a grocery getter! Research uncovered one anonymous review stating "Bottom Line ... my heart beats faster when I think about this car ... it is that rewarding."

Audi S5: A slick coupe with solid credentials. We chose this because it provides good looks, impressive all-wheel-drive handling, and an affordable price tag for this segment.

Mustang Shelby GT 500 KR: The new GT500 KR (King of the Road) takes the bare bones of a GT500 and turns it into a 540-horsepower muscle car that pays tribute to the legendary Carroll Shelby. Production is expected to be around 1,000.

Chevrolet Corvette Z06: The ferocious Z06 is a fixed-roof coupe with a 7.0-liter V-8 that produces 505 horsepower. The past 50 years has proven that most Corvettes eventually become collectible ... the Z06 will stand out at the top of the crowd as far as collectability.

Smart: At first look, the Smart seems too small to be practical. It's not. Rather, it is a marvel of packaging efficiency. We chose the Smart car because it is the inaugural year where they will be available to the mass US population.

Subaru Impreza WRX STi: Some Subaru enthusiasts may not like the idea of being spotted in a hatchback, but we think this will make it more collectible down the road. It has 305 horsepower and all-wheel drive ...

Honda S2000 CR: Less than 2000 of the "CR" editions will be built ... this is a high-performance version of the stock S2000 that is regarded as Honda's only true sports car.

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky: This pair of roadsters from GM have all the necessary ingredients: rear-wheel drive, a powerful engine, independent suspension and an impressive weight balance. We chose this because it is the first new and exciting sports car for Saturn and the first for Pontiac in many years.

Dodge Charger Super Bee: It has a 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 with 425 horsepower and 420 ft.-lbs. of torque ... need we say more for a family sedan?

These are interesting choices -- some of which I wouldn't have thought of.

mdwyer
01/09/2008, 04:30 PM
Subaru Impreza WRX STi: Some Subaru enthusiasts may not like the idea of being spotted in a hatchback, but we think this will make it more collectible down the road. It has 305 horsepower and all-wheel drive ...

I'm not sure I can get behind that one. Here in Colorado -- especially up near Boulder -- it seems that one in four cars on the road is a Subaru. I've got a 2.5RS daily driver -- the last of the GC6 bodies. I love it, although I really wouldn't mind having a turbocharger under the hood. Still, I can't quite take them seriously as a 'classic'.

When every single person I go to lunch with bought a Subaru, I figured it was time to buy a VX... I figure in about ten years, all those WRXs are going to be ricer project cars. Sort of like the how DSMs and Civics are today.

No, I just can't see it as a classic...