PDA

View Full Version : Headlight removal help

BlackVXer99
01/06/2008, 01:30 PM
I bought some sylvania silverstars and for the life of me i could not get my old ones removed. I moved the battery and that didnt seem to help at all, as i could NOT get the plastic piece that has the wires connected (the one that goes into the rubber piece) to come out.

Ive searched on here, and read Grants walk thru thread and many others, and spent about 2 hours fiddeling with it and could not get them loose. I gave up because i didnt want to break anything if i wasnt sure what i was doing.

So any in depth help? im sure its just something small im not doing right. Im new to the VX world, just did my first oil change last night and it went smoothly thanks to a quick search on here.

thanks in advance

DarkWing
01/06/2008, 02:01 PM
I am sure you did a search for removing headlights. Changing the lights while the assemblies are installed on the V, I don't know how you people could contort your hands to be able to do it. I was doing other work and had the front cladding off, removed the assemblies, and it was still a pain. There is a clip that holds the plastic with the wires (socket) onto the bulb base. The Base itself is held into the assembly with a wire clip that you have to depress, and move out from under the tab holding it, then it pivots back, hinged at the other end. Then the bulb and base come out of the assembly very easily. Your first time, this might actually be easier. (I was changing out all the front end bulbs, plus some other work at the same time. Yes, I think it'd be a little much to take the cladding off just to change headlights.:mad:) No one told me about the clip, either of them, so check them out. You might have to spray some cleaner back there, mine was covered in gunk. Good luck. Replacing my lights made a big differance.
D.W. Lyons
'99 Silver:bwgr:

etlsport
01/06/2008, 02:07 PM
there is a tab on both sides of the connector. you need to be able to get your fingers in there and press them in to get pull the connector loose. easiest way i have found to do it is to very very carefully pull the rubber seal away from the edges so you can access the back of the light. from there look in the headlight assembly from the front. you will see a small square cutout next to where the bulb comes through, through the cutout you will see a metal wire, you need to get your finger on it (from the back) and push it towards the street, careful not to force anything because if you break the wire or its connection to the headlight your headlight is pretty much useless...

when you manage to get that wire down it will release the headlight bulb and you can pull the bulb, rubber seal and connector up towards you a little more, this will make it easier to get to those tabs to release the connector.

reassembly is easy, put the bulb in first (with the flat part of the base down, the pins on the back will be to the sides and top) put that wire clip back how it was (its easier if you look through the front of the headlight to see what you are doing) remember not to force anything too much

then put the rubber seal back on, TOP is written on it so you know how it goes back on, make sure all 3 pins on the back of the light are through the hole in the center make sure the sides are all firmly back in place

then you can plug in the connector

i agree with DW for most people its probably easier to actually remove the assemblies, i managed to change my headlight bulbs without even removing the battery or factory airbox but ive got small hands and have gotten good at contorting them to work on cars with as little disassembly as possible

Gussie2000
02/07/2009, 07:49 AM
Last week i tried to remove the bulbs,no luck at all :(

Today i'll give it another try,but not too confident.

Not sure if you guys did it that way,may be more easier if you removed the black rubber cover & carefully twist the bulb connector with the bulb about 45 degrees instead of depressing the hard wires on both side of the bulb ?

The bulb came loose that way when i did it like that,however i wasn't able to get them outter the housing.

rowhard
02/07/2009, 08:18 AM
Insert 2cents

It is a pain, mainly cause you can't see what your doing. If it was in your lap, you would see what a simple bulb securement feature it is. The main thing is, be careful removing the plug it's self. IF you try just pulling it off, you can break the plastic where the wire holding the bulb in attaches to the light assy. Mine was broken already, so I built up a now locking wire attachment, but it could break again at anytime. (Hope the body shop is careful removing the lights, forgot to do it myself or tell them) Now, unless you have strong fingers, use some slip joint pliers to lightly squeeze the sides of the plug, it's like a locking feature, then pull the plug away. With the plug and rubber seal (their is a top and bottom to it) borrow a small mirror from she who must be obayed and look at whats you are dealing with. Thinking remove the battery to give yourself some space to work and look. Hope this helps.:grinr:

BlackVXer99
02/07/2009, 09:53 AM
I stilll have the headlights sitting in my room :laughy: didnt want to risk breaking something

Doomer
02/08/2009, 08:24 PM
They use the same setup that has been on most sport motorcycles for years. Once you've done it, is very simple. But is very easy to break. Don't forget to use di-electric grease upon re-assembly. Makes it a whole lot easier next time. If you have a bud with a sportbike, get them to show you and practice on it.
Robert

LittleBeast
02/09/2009, 09:14 AM
This just seems odd to me because the VX headlights might be the easiest to replace bulbs I have ever worked on. Simply pull of the black rubber seal, and there is a "hook" that you must push in towards the bulb and then push down around the "catch" and then the whole bulb releases. On the driver side this "hook" or "loop" looking thing is on the side closer to the engine, seriously all you do is push this in towards the bulb and then move down so it releases from the metal tab that it goes up and under and the whole bulb basically falls into your hand. Just remover the large black rubber surround, it pushes back on easily enough, it pops back into place around the whole thing to let you know when it is really sealed back in there. I just did this last night to replace one of the HIDs on the passenger side, and it takes me about 30secs to take out the bulb and put the other back in.

nfpgasmask
02/09/2009, 09:25 AM
It is a pain, like everyone said. I did it once, but I had the whole light assembly out. This was a lot easier. Once you figure out how the metal clip sits, it's not that hard. You do need to use some force to get the connectors off and whatnot.

Bart

blacksambo
02/09/2009, 07:21 PM
What's probabaly throwarting you is the glue around the base of the bulb. It sticks the metal bulb base to the rubber surround. Also, this stuff gets into the bulb prongs and makes it difficult to seperate things from the base. Some elbow grease works here. Good luck. It's really easy once you get the hang of it. And it's important, because the new high performance bulbs last only about a year.

pbkid
02/09/2009, 08:58 PM
What's probabaly throwarting you is the glue around the base of the bulb. It sticks the metal bulb base to the rubber surround. Also, this stuff gets into the bulb prongs and makes it difficult to seperate things from the base. Some elbow grease works here. Good luck. It's really easy once you get the hang of it. And it's important, because the new high performance bulbs last only about a year.

HID bulbs last a lifetime...for around $150 you can get a whole set..

Triathlete
02/13/2009, 12:36 PM
Once again...

Keith, probably get more responses if you started a different tread instead of jacking one that has absolutely nothing in reference to your question.
Or better yet use the SEARCH function...the answers you seek have been beaten to death many, many, many times!
Good luck with your purchase.

pbkid
02/13/2009, 01:55 PM
Once again...
whats goin on here....is this an automated thing???

nfpgasmask
02/13/2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah, it's weird, almost like a spam robot....

:confused: Bart

Riff Raff
02/21/2009, 07:31 AM

Oh Magoo, you've done it again. Doh!!!

etlsport
02/26/2009, 12:54 PM
headlight went out today :rollb:

so i took it as an opportunity to make a vid of how to replace the headlight bulbs... so here it is.. i also submitted it to moncha (i think) so it might be available in the download section in a day or two as well

http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu140/etlsport/?action=view&current=VXheadlightreplacement.flv

as a side note.. i was only half paying attention to what i was doing b/c of the video taping.. in the video i actually put the blown bulb back in.. i went to test it after finishing the video and the headlight didnt work.. so i checked the one in the trash.. it was the good one :_brickwal

nfpgasmask
02/26/2009, 02:10 PM
Nice video! I don't know how you did that while holding a camera at the same time! Bravo!

I would like to try to make a video next time I do a full trans service to my VX.

:) Bart

tom4bren
02/26/2009, 02:26 PM
"so i checked the one in the trash.. it was the good one"

U Da Man:)

etlsport
02/26/2009, 03:01 PM
Nice video! I don't know how you did that while holding a camera at the same time! Bravo!

I would like to try to make a video next time I do a full trans service to my VX.

if it gets nice out here soon i may just do that.. i think im a little low on fluid anyway.. really not looking forward to that job!

don moore
02/26/2009, 09:52 PM
good job...A#1:)

Ldub
02/26/2009, 09:55 PM
"so i checked the one in the trash.. it was the good one"

U Da Man:)

Too funny...:thumbup:

Nice vid ETL!

pbkid
02/26/2009, 09:57 PM

bart, that would be HUGE to have that on file...

i need to go through a list of services soon on my VX... i dont think its ever had full services done....

about time for me to start doing preventative maintenence (sp)