PDA

View Full Version : future "El Camino"

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/05/2008, 11:43 AM
Thought this was interesting reading:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124048

best quote: "Nail the gas and the rear end squats like a constipated terrier on a front lawn as the tires dig into the road."

Chopper
01/05/2008, 01:47 PM
Been watching this Pontiac(!) become a reality, with interest, for the last few years. They've been driving it for years in Oz, as a Holden. Do it right, they'll sell me one....worst case, it sits next to the SSR:o (my wife still loves that thing)

don moore
01/05/2008, 09:05 PM
Holden has been racing the little car/truck for years..;)

WormGod
01/07/2008, 07:54 AM
Sadly, I lost interest in this years ago. American manufacturers simply cant make a sports car that isnt sitting on 30 year old tech. Too heavy, too much engine for such little power, and visually boring. I am sorry, but if they want to impress me, they need to start thinking not only outside the "cliche" box, but they need to start thinking in a NEW box.

Edmunds offers a video comparision between the Mustang Shelby GT and the WRX STi on that very same page linked above. Watch that and you will see what I mean.

Chopper
01/07/2008, 04:23 PM
Sadly, I lost interest in this years ago. American manufacturers simply cant make a sports car that isnt sitting on 30 year old tech. Too heavy, too much engine for such little power, and visually boring. I am sorry, but if they want to impress me, they need to start thinking not only outside the "cliche" box, but they need to start thinking in a NEW box.

Edmunds offers a video comparision between the Mustang Shelby GT and the WRX STi on that very same page linked above. Watch that and you will see what I mean. Uhhh...the Solstice GXP dominates this past year in SCCA 2. Like the Corvettes that all but own ALMS...consistently spanking Ferrari, Aston, and anyone else that stands up, in the last few years. I think we are in "sports car " territory. I am no apologist for the American auto industry, But neither am I a blind basher. Race results are the only way to judge sports cars on a performance level. Would I rather show up at work in the Corvette or some snorting, screaming, Italian heart breaker.....I'll take the redhead every time. What do I wanna show up at the track in....I want to win. We build a couple of world beater sports cars.....pay attention!:bwgr:

WormGod
01/08/2008, 08:15 AM
Uhhh...the Solstice GXP dominates this past year in SCCA 2. Like the Corvettes that all but own ALMS...consistently spanking Ferrari, Aston, and anyone else that stands up, in the last few years. I think we are in "sports car " territory. I am no apologist for the American auto industry, But neither am I a blind basher. Race results are the only way to judge sports cars on a performance level. Would I rather show up at work in the Corvette or some snorting, screaming, Italian heart breaker.....I'll take the redhead every time. What do I wanna show up at the track in....I want to win. We build a couple of world beater sports cars.....pay attention!:bwgr:

Hmm, the Solstice GXP you say? Small, lightweight car, with a T/C 2.0 is a great track car.... until it looks a sweet 16 birthday gift.

http://ebay.windingroad.com/newsuploads/2006/06/2007-Solstice-GXP---yellow.jpg

It has balls, but so do crossdressers. And that pretty much gives validity to my opinion concerning American visual design. I wont argue that its got what it takes, but man, its still a butterface. Thats a matter of opinion of course, but I find it ugly and toyish (and I understand how many would feel about that considering I own a VX, heh). And when you look at its drivetrain, all it really did is borrow what most tuners have been doing for years. How long did it have to take for American manufacturers to realize that you dont need an extra 500lbs of engine block and gas sucking to have worthwhile performance. I will give you that much.... the GXP is headed in the right direction, but it took them till '07 to do it. The SRT-4 has been playing in the sandbox, but it's still cursed with the Neon shade. I would like to see the Saturn Sky step into the ring and start playing more. IMHO, their roadster design in more appealing to me than the Solstice, probably because its more angular and not so rounded.

http://www.myride.com/images/vehicle/2007/Saturn/Sky/oem/07.sky.70_(400x300).jpg

As for your race results, you are talking night, day, dusk, and dawn. Whether it be 1/4 mile, road circuit, rally, offroad, uphill, its too broad to say race results are the only way to judge anymore. Some cars are cross-platform, some are tarmac junkies. Nothing is ever gonna be as worthwhile than a solid crosstrainer though. AWD, performance, sleek design, and simply full of CEX! ;)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411392_3.jpg

http://www.sjautomotive.com.au/images/cars/RogSTi2.jpg

http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars/mitsubishi/Evo8/evo8/bc4.jpg

On the road, off the road, in the snow, in a show, these do it all, hehe.

But hey, we are talking about apples and oranges here. No sense in debating opinions, especially when mine are all right. :p

Chopper
01/10/2008, 04:57 PM
No one is rallying a C6, and an Evo or STI is a rolling roadblock on a road course. Neither are drag strip queens, but the C6 will do much better stock,with an automatic, than either(or any) Jap entries. The C6 is a road race car, and you can pretty much take a stock one, (and if you're any kind of driver) have a good day at the track........I dare you to jump that "Rally inspired" vehicle......as it comes.....stock. It will disintegrate . This is the flag they are selling it under, and it is a lie. I've had two STI's and a couple of Mitsi's around here, and both were entertaining, (the Mitsi more so) and both suffered from their econo box beginnings....yeah the GM is lacking in the interior area...you want an interior, buy a Barcalounger.....last, yes....race results are the only way to judge pure sporting cars. How the hell else are you gonna judge 'em:confused: Everything else is fluff