PDA

View Full Version : VX casualty.... again

WormGod
12/29/2007, 03:23 PM
Well, as if my Xmas vacation couldnt get any worse, today took the cake.

Took the VX in for a scheduled oil change this morning. Dropped the keys with the clerk and went back to settle into the lounge and watch tv until they gave me a hollar. Well, not too much later, I heard the hollar. It came in the form of a high revving engine, a crashing sound, someone screaming "Sh*t!!" and another screaming "Oh f!@#!!".

I thought to myself, nah, that has nothing to do with my VX. How wrong I was. The shop manager came back and said they had a problem with my VX and to follow him into the shop. There, I found my VX pancaking 2 large toolchests up against a concrete wall. The guy who pulled it in tried to tell me something went wrong with my brakes. Funny, after 45k miles, I have never had a brake issue, yet he finds one moving it 50ft from a parking space to the bay? Sorry, that excuse has been used too many times to be worthy.

The damages could have been worse, were it not for the brushguard that Tone offers. However, since its simply a show-bar, it managed to crunch in and mangle the L/R fender as well as the hood. All 3 will definitely need to be "replaced", but that will be a different story once the shop's insurance burns the witch at the stake. It is drivable, but damned ugly with a bungie cord holding the hood shut. The brushguard is toast since it was bent to hell and a spot weld mount broke.

The shop manager "seemed" completely willing to cooperate and made the insurance claim already. He just needs me to get 2 estimates to give to him so he can present them to their insurance. I am a 2 year customer of theirs so hopefully, they respect that and dont try to pull some shady !@#$.

In the end, its just a hunk of metal and nobody was hurt, but it still bothers me that the tech had to try to weasel out of it with "the breaks didnt work" when there was clearly a 4ft skidmark on the bay floor leading up to the toolboxes. Dude, just say you screwed up. Accidents happen and thats understood. Your lying on top of about $3-5K of damages, vehicle and tools/toolboxes, only adds to the disgust.

Thanks prick.

Ldub
12/29/2007, 04:01 PM
Man, that sucks Gary. Sorry to see the status quo hasn't changed much around places of that ilk.
Why is it that about 98% of the automotive/automotive service industry attracts such a turd brained level of employment drones?:sighwgray
Good luck with the fix, hope the moron at least hit his own tool box.:smilewink:_wrench:

Chopper
12/29/2007, 04:21 PM
I'd be looking for legal counsel...right after I made bail. I'm really sorry W.G.:(

Triathlete
12/29/2007, 05:04 PM
It came in the form of a high revving engine, a crashing sound, someone screaming "Sh*t!!" and another screaming "Oh f!@#!!".

Yeah, the skinny pedal is NOT the brake pedal!
Sounds like they owe you free oil changes for life along with the repair bill. Hope they make it right. Good luck.

Note to self...continue to change my own oil!

Mark B
12/29/2007, 05:21 PM
If the breakes did not work, how did you get their? What BS.
They should just admit that they damaged your VX and have it fixed and give you lifetime service for free.

navistar
12/29/2007, 05:53 PM
If you can't trust them to simply drive it into the work bay properly how can you trust them to do something really complicated like doing an oil change??

Let's see...

"Hey Buck...does transmission fluid go in the radiator thing or in the hole that says OIL"?

"Neither stupid, it goes in the windshield washer squirt bottle thing."

"Oh...I already filled that up with antifreeze!"

"Nah...the antifreeze goes in the hole that says OIL."

"What'll I do with all this oil?"

"Put it in the radiator, stupid!"

cyronman
12/29/2007, 07:47 PM
I know nothing you read here will make up for that...
but still, I'll add my "that blows".

I can't imagine...

Y33TREKker
12/29/2007, 07:52 PM
Sounds like your supercharger took the tech by surprise and he froze at the controls. Hopefully the claim and repairs will be trouble free.

Chopper
12/30/2007, 05:03 AM
No friggin MAACO crap either! They pay for new panels, blend time on adjacent panels, and your car rental fees! DO NOT SETTLE FOR LESS! This is what I do for a living (as I'm sure you're aware) These three things you should not compromise on. They are gonna fight you on the blend time, don't relent. I wouldn't accept repaired panels either. They weren't made of plastic when you rolled in. They OWE you a rental car for as long as it takes. Stay strong...don't hesitate to have an attorney draw up a letter stating these things( and your serious intent) Good luck brother. Chop;)

Hotsauce
12/30/2007, 05:40 AM
I drove someone elses VX, and had a similar unexpected acceleration. I didn't hit anything, only scared myself.

The cause? Aftermarket pedal covers.

John C.

Hotsauce
12/30/2007, 05:45 AM
Oh, and become familair with the term: "Diminshed Value"

A crashed and repaired vehicle is not worth as much as one that was never hit.

Start a folder, and write a note every time you call them. Time, who you spoke to, and summary of what whas said.

John C.

etlsport
12/30/2007, 08:47 AM
ugh :( sorry man.. definately sucks.. my guess is hitting the gas and the brake at the same time.. i used to have that problem in my boots, then i removed the pedal cover and put a new one on as far from the go pedal as possible so that helps.. and new pads and lines make it so my brake pedal rarely gets down far enough to be even with the gas...

:cryb:

Y33TREKker
12/30/2007, 10:33 AM
I drove someone elses VX, and had a similar unexpected acceleration. I didn't hit anything, only scared myself.

John C.

That's a good point. My VX had some aftermarket pedals on it when I got it, and all they seemed to do was get in the way of my shoes. Taking those things off in the name of safety was one of the first "mods" I made.

WormGod
12/30/2007, 12:02 PM
ugh :( sorry man.. definately sucks.. my guess is hitting the gas and the brake at the same time.. i used to have that problem in my boots, then i removed the pedal cover and put a new one on as far from the go pedal as possible so that helps.. and new pads and lines make it so my brake pedal rarely gets down far enough to be even with the gas...

:cryb:

Aftermarket pedals surely are part of the issue. I even brought it up while we were looking over the damage. I had said to the guy that being a shop, his work boots were probably too bulky for the coverage down there, as I stopped wearing mine when driving because it so so tight. He still had a chip on his shoulder and denied it. Stuck by his word that the brakes simply did not work for him.

*enter my disrespect for liars HERE*

However, I worked in many shops over the years and we see all makes, models, and years go in and out of there everyday, so they have to always be prepared for different owner ride and comfort packages. If there is ever an issue or concern with any MOD that anyone has done to their vehicle, the operating tech or porter needs to declare this to management BEFORE the vehicle is even touched. Its simply a matter of covering your butt and making your insurance happy.

And yep, second time she will be getting bodywork. Luckily none of it ever involved frame damage and ALL parts were replaced with new. This damage is far lighter than the previous, so I am keeping fingers crossed on coverage for new panels. If not, she stays in the garage until I wrangle up the difference between bondo-bucket and fresh panels, heh. Her track record will house 2 eye sores on her record, but thats something I can live with, and it helps to be a "retired" bodyshop tech because I know what to look for when the work is done and I dont accept it unless its done 110%. ;)

BBVX
12/30/2007, 04:51 PM
I hope they can find right and left fenders for you. When I replaced my driver's side front, Merlin told me there were only 7 remaining in the country, and that was 1.5 years ago.

Good luck,
Brian

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce31b3127ccebd2ca78be2d500000036100CcOGrhqycMc

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce31b3127ccebd2ca475238200000036100CcOGrhqycMc

Chopper
12/30/2007, 04:55 PM
New parts have been punched since then. Plenty available.

ZEUS
12/30/2007, 09:10 PM
Damn, WormGod! I am late to the show, but still pissed off for you! I don't think I would have been able to control myself in front of that douche bag! At the very least, I would repeat everything he was saying to me as if I had down syndrome, and then I'd ask, "Where's Arnie, Gilbert?" and maybe smack him upside the head!

Good luck with everything, Gary.

WormGod
12/31/2007, 02:55 PM
Estimates look bad. 3 today and all places where I know most of the techs. They all found the fenders to be repairable with the hood questionable. I kinds saw that coming since I used to be a body tech, but I was hoping I would get lucky. Looks like I have a couple of options.

1 - Get the check for whatever estimate their insurance agrees with and get the listed repairs. Take the hit on an insurance claim that is documented.

2 - Get the check, sit on it until I can throw in the extra for all new panels. Take the hit on an insurance claim that is documented.

3 - Skip out on their inurance paying and take repair costs under my own belt. Saves me from having a Carfax hit.

Sadly, the shop wont just "cut me a check" without reporting to their insurance with a chosen estimate, so I am caught between a rock and a hard place with reported repairs. I refuse any bondo work and I hate to have a claim hit, so I am on the fence. Option 3 would be fine were I able to fart out money, but its also far too generous to the guys that put my vehicle in this situation.

Taking a bite out of the !@#$ sandwich inevitable. Luckily, she is very much drivable so even if I decide the "hole in the head" option 3, its not something I have to do right away. I have time. Tomorrow I will be doing a LOT of meditation on the subject. Make or break.

VXIRONwoMAN
12/31/2007, 03:32 PM
:( I would have taken a fire extinguisher to somebody's face when I saw that! I have seen people nearly take out fellow VXer's when I am on the road, and I wish I had the Mach 5 from Speed Racer so I could activate the saws on the front of the car and mangle their vehicle. Sorry! I don't know what I would do if that happened... but I do know someone would be in the hospital, and it wouldn't be me. Good Luck!

4X4 UFO
12/31/2007, 07:55 PM
I would take the money, and save up for the new parts, Gary. I wouldn't worry about the Carfax hit, I would want it repaired "as good as new", which is what the jerks that broke it should pay for, IMHO. I hated to hear about this, Gary. The collective IQ in this country keeps dropping...........

Ldub
01/01/2008, 04:37 AM
The collective IQ in this country keeps dropping...........

Don't get me started on one of my "civilization Bad - natural selection Good" rants...it's a damn shame what passes for "acceptable" anymore.:sighwgray

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/01/2008, 09:24 AM
John C.

That was the first thing to pop into my skull too. I learned first hand from my Fiero when it happened to me skidding up to a deer...braking & accelerating at the same time! When I put pedals on the IronMan, I made every effort to space them apart! So far, so good.

Note to self...continue to change my own oil!

How very true! Fear of this kind of crap results in why I lay out on the cold, cold ground (that, and no garage!) to do scheduled maintenance. Even my trusted mechanic only sees her for the bigger jobs (trannie filter change).

Sounds like your supercharger took the tech by surprise and he froze at the controls.

A variation on this idea...they probably were so infatuated with the eye-candy (underhood mods) they got "sloppy" in doing their job.

I've done some underhood mods on my Ram (14" chrome Edelbrock "carb style" air cleaner, chrome Gibson headers, MSD ignition, new wires&belts&hoses) and now when the oil change gang opens the hood to do service...they stand there like they are in a trance...and things begin to get hairy after that! A couple changes ago, they put the wrong oil in! I caught them in the act and they fessed up but I let them off the hook and just made sure they billed me accordingly. (I asked for synthetic and they put in dino.) I still go there because: U drive it in and U sit in the vehicle while all service is done and U drive it out!

Aftermarket pedals surely are part of the issue. I even brought it up while we were looking over the damage. I had said to the guy that being a shop, his work boots were probably too bulky for the coverage down there, as I stopped wearing mine when driving because it so so tight. He still had a chip on his shoulder and denied it. Stuck by his word that the brakes simply did not work for him.

*enter my disrespect for liars HERE*

However, I worked in many shops over the years and we see all makes, models, and years go in and out of there everyday, so they have to always be prepared for different owner ride and comfort packages. If there is ever an issue or concern with any MOD that anyone has done to their vehicle, the operating tech or porter needs to declare this to management BEFORE the vehicle is even touched. Its simply a matter of covering your butt and making your insurance happy.

A few years back I would have admitted to the tech that the pedals & boots could have been part of it...but, now... I wouldn't give them any leg to stand on. It could only complicate matters leading up to you getting your VX returned to you in the proper condition.

I would take the money, and save up for the new parts, Gary. I wouldn't worry about the Carfax hit, I would want it repaired "as good as new", which is what the jerks that broke it should pay for, IMHO.

This is how I feel about it too. I would explore what your options are to try and get them to pay it all though. To me, your vehicle SHOULD be returned to you as humanly possible to the condition it was when it entered their oil change shop! That means NO Bondo!

Hope you hear good news and things go smooth. At least you still have the Subie to get you places until spyhunter returns!

psychos2
01/01/2008, 09:39 AM
I would tell them bondo is not an option. Tell them you want new or your getting a lawyer. I would not worry about the carfax thing. Take pictures to document the damage and the repairs so you can prove no major damage. shawn

WormGod
01/01/2008, 11:24 AM
Going in for a final estimate tomorrow. Sadly, I am back to work, but my lovely sister has volunteered to run these errands for me. This next shop is the shop that did the repairs on it years ago and they are familiar with it, so I am a LOT of confidence in them.

I think in the end, I will just take the vehicle history hit and collect the check. I am sorry, but I am not so generous to left this tech make a mistake and get away with it. They are a good shop and I always appreciated their business, and they will continue to get business from me, but I may rethink things some and start doing my own oil changes again. Probably time to get the "lazy" out of my system and stop relying on other people to do my "simple" things, heh. Be nice to get back in the garage some anyways. :gring:

WormGod
01/03/2008, 01:16 PM
Final adjustment came today. $3300 in damages. Right now, that excludes Tone's brushguard which they will be adding in when it gets to the body shop. Plus, the adjuster looked it over with a fine toothed comb today at my sister's where I kept it and he called me up with a concern. He said there is a small puddle, the size around of an orange, of antifreeze in the street under it. He looked all over for a leak in the radiator in case he had to add it, but he couldnt find any moisture. He put down questionable damage to be investigated by the body shop in case something was damaged along the coolant system. Overall, best insurance adjuster I have ever dealt with. I wish they were all as thorough and respectful as he was. Sadly, he had never seen or heard of a VehiCROSS, hahaha. First time ever writing one up. He was just coming back from doing the shop estimate on their damages. He said between the toolboxes, tools, and the wall, they were looking at over $10k in damages. Hahahaha.... that tech must feel like DiRt!

Since the hood IS being replaced, I am gonna speak with the body shop about some possible cutting and spotting previous to paint to make the scoop functional. Get them to paint that insert as well since it has seen better days.

nfpgasmask
01/03/2008, 03:05 PM
Wow, I missed this thread. That sucks Worm, I always liked looking at the pics of your shiny Ebony. I hope you get it all worked out in the end.

This is precisely why I will continue to try to do as much work on my VX as I can.

Uggg,

Bart

AndyC
01/03/2008, 03:40 PM
Sad to hear but at least it sounds like it's going to be repaired right.

Rooster
01/04/2008, 06:32 AM
Tough luck WG. Hope they do you right. Hey, if you need some parts, theirs a '01 Kaiser Silver in a JY up here in NH. Not sure whats left, but it seemed to be pretty well intact the last time I saw it.

WormGod
01/04/2008, 07:39 AM
They looked up parts availability when doing the estimates and there is NO shortage of parts to be found (thought I would shout that for those that beg to differ, heh). Of course, that went for body panels. I am sure a steering box or a brake solenoid would be a different story.

Sadly, after a short phone call yesterday, they will not make an attempt to mod the hood for airflow. They will, but only AFTER it is repaired and signed off on. For insurance reasons. They will be glad to work with it AFTER all is said and done, but hell, I want the work done BEFORE the hood sees any paint, heh. Ah well, another day, another dollar. I can understand their reasoning.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/05/2008, 09:10 AM
They looked up parts availability when doing the estimates and there is NO shortage of parts to be found (thought I would shout that for those that beg to differ, heh). Of course, that went for body panels.

That is good to hear, and quite unexpected! I really figured after previous posts of people waiting 4-5 months to get vital body panels needed for repairs, that it would only get worse.

This is one of the main reasons I hardly drive my VX to work as I see enough idiots with cell phones yacking while they're driving and stabbing their brakes at the last second to avoid rear-ending others up ahead.

I would envision my VX in the shop for 6 months waiting on rear-end panels because somebody wanted to know if they needed to pick up a loaf of bread! Enter my Ram.....if she gets run into there is definately no shortage of parts..lol.

Trudy Carp
01/11/2008, 03:34 PM
Going in for a final estimate tomorrow. Sadly, I am back to work, but my lovely sister has volunteered to run these errands for me. This next shop is the shop that did the repairs on it years ago and they are familiar with it, so I am a LOT of confidence in them.

I think in the end, I will just take the vehicle history hit and collect the check. I am sorry, but I am not so generous to left this tech make a mistake and get away with it. They are a good shop and I always appreciated their business, and they will continue to get business from me, but I may rethink things some and start doing my own oil changes again. Probably time to get the "lazy" out of my system and stop relying on other people to do my "simple" things, heh. Be nice to get back in the garage some anyways. :gring:

I am the office manager at a body shop and deal with these issues everyday.
There will be NO Carfax history hit. Are you going to tell them? The 1994 Driver Privacy Act prevents insurance companies from sharing claims info with 3rd parties. Only the vehicle owner can release that information to ANYONE, including the body shop he choses to make the repair. Carfax is a joke and will never have accident claims information, only public DMV records. IMPORTANT QUESTION: Who is the insurance company? That will determine, more than anything else, how your vehicle is repaired.
Don't just accept a check and walk away. Every repair has the potential for additional damage upon tear down and the need for more parts. This becomes a "supplemental damage request" and is reviewed/reinspected by the insurance adjuster, documented and okayed. You can't write what you can't see, it's technically insurance fraud. Also, what's listed as a "repair" on the original estimate can easily turn into a "replace" once work has begun and it's determined to be more cost effective to replace instead. That could easily happen with your fender. You also have 12 months from the date the claim was filed to submit any supplement requests for additional accident damage that surfaces after the fact. And, of course, the old "diminished value" allowance that has already been mentioned. Don't be afraid to wheel and deal with that: replace my fender instead of repairing it and I won't ask for diminished valve money. Got the idea? Good luck!

WormGod
01/14/2008, 07:26 AM
Good to know about the car history details. I worked in a body shop LONG, before the intar-webs were given to us by aliens, so tracking anything in any manner was stone-age and nobody cared.

Travelers Ins has been very cooperative, surprisingly. The notation on the estimate about "other possible damage TBA upon teardown" had to be signed by me and the body shop. It dictates that an immediate check for damages visible will be cut now, to begin repairs, and the body shop is to inform them and the me of any damages uncovered during repairs, of which then they will send out an adjuster to review what was found. Pretty typical from what I remember (even though I was a painter and rarely dealt with adjusters).

Its all covered though. She has been torn down since last Wed and is probably hitting the NEW spray booth (thats right, my VX will be the 1st vehicle to christen their downdraft, haha).

And just for the sake of it, I took it to a shop previous to going to the body shop to have the brakes and the coolant system looked at. No issues anywhere. They found no coolant leaks and brake pressure/rotors/pads were fine. It was worth the day and the $20 to have them look it over with a fine toothed comb. These guys were recommended to me by, of all people, my sister.... and they were great. Even more impressive was the entire row of 1/4 mile cars and offroad vehicles they had sitting in the bays. I think I found my new shop. They loved the VX. Never seen one before.... and they wouldn't shut up about "you know, if it was mine I would do this and this and this and....". Enthusiastic techs can be scary and reassuring at the same time, heh.

don moore
01/14/2008, 11:01 PM
Ga;)ry ..Have you figured out how to add a VX in FALLOUT3 yet?...sorry off track....Hope to have you back on the road again soon

WormGod
01/15/2008, 07:21 AM
Ha, no, never gonna happen. Bad enough trying to keep the existing Fallout fan-base happy without adding things and working with the existing canon. I think the vehicle design already in Fallout isnt too far off from the VX design though. Outlandish and unique, heh.

http://duckandcover.cx/features/bible/fatasscar.gif

I should be getting my VX back later in the week as things have gone smooth (so far). I have had no surprise phone calls and I stay out of their way and leaeve them alone so they can get the job done, so no news is good news. How I do miss her though.

don moore
01/15/2008, 11:11 PM
;)good Job...

WormGod
01/19/2008, 02:56 PM
Picked her up yesterday and she looks as good as new. These guys babied the hell out of her. I swear they even gave me the Presidential detail job before delivery. Slapped the Klearz on when I got her home and she is good to go.

I am a happy VXer once again. A happy ending to a depressing incident.

Ldub
01/19/2008, 03:27 PM
Oh Happy Day for you Gary.

Glad to hear it all came together with satisfactory results.:thumbup:

:dance:..............................:dance:...... ......................:dance:..................... ...:dance:

johnnyapollo
01/19/2008, 05:41 PM
Glad to hear it.

-- John

4X4 UFO
01/19/2008, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear it, Gary.

etlsport
01/19/2008, 09:40 PM
score!

Chopper
01/20/2008, 02:38 AM
Hey Gary, sounds like the shop did you a solid....Post their name and address...give 'em some props:)

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/20/2008, 06:02 PM
Glad to hear all turned out well!

ZEUS
01/21/2008, 06:25 AM
If you had nine lives... only 6 left! Welcome back... again!

WormGod
01/21/2008, 07:32 AM
Right said....

Mt. Airy Collision Center (http://www.frederick.com/sponsorPages/bizinfo.asp?spid=1990)

tom4bren
01/22/2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the source. Close enough that I may actually make use of it some day (hope not though).

Glad you're back OTR. Congrats.