PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION, when will VX's go up in value??

drdavidr4u
12/28/2007, 06:08 AM
I'm scratching my head in amazement! Why is the VX, such an awesome SUV of such rare production #'s still depreciating in value? When will that turn around and the price stabilize and go up? I know the vehicle is still not that old yet but so rare....do we have to wait for the classic and then antique status?
Maybe its supply , demand and market price? If every VX owner selling started to raise prices then anyone wanting one would have to choose from that pool of VX's...but then you have the rare dealers who get one in on trade.

IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR ONE there is a grey VX sitting up front in the Nissan Dealer lot on RT 17 south bound side in Ramsey NJ. Didn't stop in to inquire yet.

Love to hear all your opinions!

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

BJONESE
12/28/2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks to GM ( and there greedy way of business) they destroyed Isuzu in the USA. I am 99% sure we will not see a new
Isuzu in the US agin in a few years Isuzu dealers are droping off the map left and right. The avarage american is starting to put Isuzu in a " sub quality" car catagory

The new Toyota Landrcuiser FJ just proves that The VX was too modern and a head of its time for the american market palce.

VXD959
12/28/2007, 06:47 AM
Good question. I'm afraid they won't. Only those with low miles and in mint condition will ever see a decent price in the future. The question is: How many VXs are out there with less than 30K miles on the clock?
I think there is one or two VXs (the Pearl one and the VX02) that might bring some decent bids. I don't expect anyone to pay more than $20K for a VX in the near future.

I might be wrong....but I just don't see it. Time (a very long one...) will tell.

Joe_Black
12/28/2007, 02:12 PM
Vehicles are one of the poorest investments you could ever make and specialty models like the VX even more so. It will likely be at least 15 - 20 years before you see an appreciable increase in the value of a VX relative to its market segment (2dr SUV). We own these vehicles for our interest not for equity. :bwgy:

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/28/2007, 02:28 PM
My buddy has an "Excelsior Henderson" motorcycle that is pretty rare and they went from like $18k new.... to now on Ebay for like $4-$5k with mods. We both can't believe how low they've dropped and wonder if they can possibly drop further...These are like nice big ole Harley's with a big V-twin. He's had very good luck with his and has piled on alot of miles so they seem to be stout and well built bikes.

http://www.superxowners.com/history/index.htm

http://images.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/bt00_xl+2000_excelsior_henderson_american_x+side_v iew.jpg

nfpgasmask
12/28/2007, 02:59 PM
The avarage american is starting to put Isuzu in a " sub quality" car catagory

I think that is definitely part of it. Also, despite the rarity of the VX, its still "just an Isuzu" to most people. Its not like a DeLorean or some other rare exotic. I think also the engine blowing issues probably deter people who are in the know, and then there are most people, who don't even know what a VehiCROSS is.

I think it will be 10-15 years before the VX becomes a true collector car, and by then, they really weill be a rarity.

Bart

Chopper
12/28/2007, 03:37 PM
This was an unpopular car, made by an unpopular marque, that in the eye of a collector, did nothing outstanding in competition...and did nothing to move the "automotive bar." WE see all kinds of greatness in this little truck, but we are fanatics, our opinions count for nothing (in the collector world). I'm afraid even the rarest (vx2) and best preserved examples, will never cover the cost of their storage:( I don't see anyone scrambling to collect Samauri or Suzuki X-cars) Even my 01 M Coupe has lost a third of it's value over the last six years, and it's probably a lot more collectable than the VX. My best advise...use it!....enjoy it! Just 'cause they didn't make many, doesn't make it a collector. Remember, in '02 they were dumping these cars for twenty grand. They didn't make many, because they couldn't sell many!

Y33TREKker
12/28/2007, 04:00 PM
...Also, despite the rarity of the VX, its still "just an Isuzu" to most people.

It is sort of telling to witness the initial enthusiasm of people who ask about the VX start to dwindle when the word Isuzu is mentioned. Suddenly, they just don't seem to have many more questions.

I suppose it would have been different in some cases if I'd have just let them persist in their preconceived notions that it had to be the latest offering from Porsche, Mercedes, or their like, but that's just not the way I roll.

Such is life in a brand-recognition world though. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
12/28/2007, 04:06 PM
It is sort of telling to witness the initial enthusiasm of people who ask about the VX start to dwindle when the word Isuzu is mentioned. Suddenly, they just don't seem to have many more questions.

I suppose it would have been different in some cases if I'd have just let them persist in their preconceived notions that it had to be the latest offering from Porsche, Mercedes, or their like, but that's just not the way I roll.

Yup, that has happened to me. Them, "wow, what kind of car is that?", Me, "Its an Isuzu VehiCROSS", Them, "oh".

And that's it. I look at it this way, all the better for those of us who dream of a second one!

;) Bart

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/29/2007, 07:43 AM

I've found that the LONGER an inquisitive person meanders around a debadged VX without being able to solve the mystery (darn "isuzu" embossed radio & steering wheel nearly give it away!); seems to negate the "Dwindle-Effect"....lol. Or in Einstein-ian terms:

(E)nthusiasm=(M)eandering X (D)ebadged VX {squared}

VXIRONwoMAN
12/29/2007, 07:50 AM
I think that is definitely part of it. Also, despite the rarity of the VX, its still "just an Isuzu" to most people. Its not like a DeLorean or some other rare exotic. I think also the engine blowing issues probably deter people who are in the know, and then there are most people, who don't even know what a VehiCROSS is.

I think it will be 10-15 years before the VX becomes a true collector car, and by then, they really weill be a rarity.

Bart

DeLorean! OH NO!!! Don't say it!!! That car is evil!!!! My Dad has owned 2 and they are nothing but trouble!!!! He still has one of them. They were produced in Ireland were they hadn't had much experience in assembling cars, so it falls apart constantly! And the transmission works almost like clock work, you pay out the butt to fix it, but they only guarentee/warranty the rebuilt one (because there are no new one's anymore) for like 6 months! No power steering, no power brakes. It's not a powerful vehicle by any means, but people seem to think so since it can "travel back in time". The doors leak when it rains. The door handles stick on the inside so you are trapped in, until someone from outside will let you out. The windows are too small to go through a drive thru :p , which I think is hilarious. The steering rattles on the freeway when you hit like 50 mph. You can't tell how fast you are going because the spedometer doesn't work. I was excited when I had my first chance to drive it... I changed my mind very quickly once I was in it. They are aweful! It's my Dad's dream car, but you have to have the funds for it. The DeLorean is a money pit that is too deep for you to reach back into. Yes, they are stainless steel with gull wing doors and they are featured in "Back to the Future" and "The Wedding Singer", but that is about all it has going for it. You can say they are "appreciating in value"...but my Dad has put far more into his DeLorean (which he bought, I believe at $13k) than it is worth now... about $18-20k. Not to mention, the few times he was using my VX to get to and from work. What good is your daily driver car, if you can't drive it daily??? It would work for someone that had a lot of $$$ to spend, but if you aren't filthy rich... it's a difficult car to maintain. Rant over... back to the thread now... Thanks for tuning in...

VXIRONwoMAN
12/29/2007, 07:58 AM
Also, despite the rarity of the VX, its still "just an Isuzu" to most people. Its not like a DeLorean or some other rare exotic.

Bart

There are nearly double the amount of Delorean ever produced than VX's... :rolleyes: They aren't as rare as our sweet rides!

Ldub
12/29/2007, 08:26 AM
There are nearly double the amount of Delorean ever produced than VX's... :rolleyes: They aren't as rare as our sweet rides!

That's true, but everyone knows a Delorean will out-wheel a VX when it comes to crushing cars & other activities that are limited to mall parking lots...:razzgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_129.jpg

VXIRONwoMAN
12/29/2007, 08:38 AM
That's true, but everyone knows a Delorean will out-wheel a VX when it comes to crushing cars & other activities that are limited to mall parking lots...:razzgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_129.jpg

So... he has a Little Giant ladder sitting on the other side of the car/monster truck right???

Ldub
12/29/2007, 08:39 AM
That'd be my guess...:rotate:

mdwyer
12/29/2007, 01:30 PM
DeLorean! OH NO!!! Don't say it!!! That car is evil!!!! My Dad has owned 2 and they are nothing but trouble!!!!

Kinda reminds me of something... A friend of mine worked at a sports car repair shop. They certainly had their likes and dislikes. One of the biggest dislikes they had was the Lamborghini Countach. I was stunned. How could you not like that car?! For any child of the 80s, there was no better car out there!

But they hated it.

Then, there was the episode of TopGear, where Jeremy Clarkson (I think) talked all about how the Lambo looked great when it was a poster on your bedroom wall, but when you actually got to drive it, everything went to hell.

Sure, you got looks while driving it... But you couldn't see out the back, it was impossible to park, and he talked about how you smelled of petrol after driving it.

It occurs to me that I've got a similar thing in the VX, for better or for worse. It performs pretty well, but I can't see out the back, and it gets terrible mileage. It has rough edges, like the stereo and windows, but I still like driving it around, if only for the looks. Besides, it really shines when I need to get up into the mountains.

I think you're right, though. Once I get my Subie back, I think I'm going to peel off some logos... I'll tell people it is a concept Lambo SUV. :)

So-CalVX
12/29/2007, 04:55 PM
all the time people ask me bout it and as soon as i say ISUZU they don't care.
and you are right bout the delorean, Cece. i think universal purchased between 800 and 1000 just for the BTTF trilogy and that only knocked off about 1/6 of the production numbers. and they really do suck! i test drove the one at a dealership down the street from honda and it was horrible. and unless you have owned one for awhile, things are hard to find and understand, it took me at least 30 minutes to find the light switch (which is a knob button thing). when i tried to get in it the drivers side door wouldn't open from inside or out. everything was plastic that had become a nasty sticky mess. i just didn't like it. there are only two cars out of so many i dreamed about, seen and wanted that i still feel like owning, the VX and the Skyline R34.

Mark B
12/29/2007, 05:25 PM
I had a Dodge Charger Hemi which I paid $ 3,500 in 1970. If I had it today, it would probably be worth over $ 100,000 in mint condition today.
I am still hoping the VX will increase in value, If not, what a unique vehicle to drive. I see nothing like it on the road today.

navistar
12/29/2007, 06:04 PM
I owned a 1965 Shelby Cobra Mustang GT350. I was 16 years old when I bought it (my dad co-signed) and I paid less than $4000.00 for it. Sold it 10 years later for $15,000.00. That should have told me something. You know what that baby's worth today? :o

mdwyer
12/29/2007, 09:06 PM
I had a Dodge Charger Hemi which I paid $ 3,500 in 1970. If I had it today, it would probably be worth over $ 100,000 in mint condition today.
I am still hoping the VX will increase in value, If not, what a unique vehicle to drive. I see nothing like it on the road today.

My dad (who passed away two years ago today...) bought himself a 1968 Dodge Charger with all the shiny bits. I still have his bill of sale. Instead of zip codes, they use 'zones' -- "Denver 15, Colorado". The grand total was $4,096.06.

He got rid of it when he had kids. Damn, me!

Cobrajet
12/30/2007, 06:59 AM
"If I only knew then what I know now." I got mine for FREE...

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/70Cobra.jpg

Many already know the story. It was given to me when I got engaged to the owner's sister. We never got married, but I still have the car! It shares garage space with my VX and my CBR600F4.

Definitely worth more than I paid for it, but nowhere near as much as I put into restoring it. They rarely are.

I didn't buy the VX as an investment, but for the joy of ownership and driving. I've got over 107,000 miles on my VX, and it is still my daily driver. I owned the Cobra for the same reasons. It was my daily driver for 15 years. It's got over 170,000 miles. Drive it, enjoy it, but care for it, and you will have a friend for life.

MustangO4
12/31/2007, 08:45 AM
As a side note I've been looking for a 91 Isuzu Impulse RS and they are HARD to find. There are currently 2 for sale in Canada and 1 in MD. Very rare and ahead of their time. Yet they still almost never get over $2500 in top condition. That's just life I guess. The oonly question is how cheap do VXs need to get before you buy a second, or third. And when will they be cheap enough for someone to go through the trouble and waste of lowering it. I still want to see that......

Gussie2000
04/19/2008, 06:46 PM
I believe that the average american doesn't really know the isuzu leadership in the japanese market,where they are very respected when it concerns quality.

One time i overheard that when honda & nissan (datsun) began the sales of cars they all use isuzu technology to build their vehicules since isuzu is the oldest builder ( since 1912 ) it was obvious that all of them should use the most experienced builder.

And if you ask me if i believe that is true i'll say yes,because if you guys look at the first hondas & nissan (datsun) vehicules they really look alike the isuzus.

For example the honda passport is actually a isuzu rodeo,just as the 1st generation of nissan pathfinders.