PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Flips

TucsonVX
06/10/2003, 10:40 PM
Are there any pictures of this ball joint flip and what does it do?

Whos who in the Zoo

SPAZZ
06/10/2003, 10:51 PM
You just unbolt them and bring them down......basically instead of over they are under. Can take pic tomorrow night, but someone will probably posta pic before me

AnalogVX
06/11/2003, 05:13 AM
This might help. http://planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/78

Green Dragon
06/11/2003, 05:51 AM
When you crank the torsion bars you lose some downward travel. Flipping the ball joints aid in regaining a portion of that travel. I recommend this kit for further increase in down travel

http://www.independent4x.com/item.html;$sessionid$W3SEBJYAAAKPVTZENUGETIWPERWRJ PX0?UCIDs=839915%7C1109486&PRID=1163612

kpaske
06/11/2003, 08:57 PM
The article that AnalogVX posted mentioned that flipping the ball joints corrects some of the alignment issues with cranking the torsion bars. How will installing the spacer kit affect alignment? Aside from the alignment issue, how will these mods affect on-road driving?

Also, from the pictures in the Planet Isuzoo article, it looked like the flipped ball joints wouldn't be nearly as well supported by the upper control arm - has anyone had any problems with this? Does the spacer also help give it some added strength?

Green Dragon
06/11/2003, 09:23 PM
Ball joint flip with spacers may affect your camber. I had to buy longer bolts to accomodate the increase in shims to align.

Ball joint flip even when hard wheeling appears to have no detremental effects on strength at the A arm. Cannot say that strength is increased or decreased with install of spacer, just have had no problems.

Joe_Black
06/11/2003, 09:25 PM
When you're dealing with suspension it's a three-dimensional deal. As mentioned in the article, the ball-joint flip is primarily to maintain proper alignment after a lift. The added benefit is increased down-travel on the suspension. The purpose of a spacer is to maintain the alignment if the amount of lift exceeds the adjustment made by flipping the ball-joint. As long as you maintain proper alignment your handling won't be affected other than the normal results of increasing your center-of-gravity.

kpaske
06/12/2003, 09:40 AM
I have my torsion bars cranked nearly all the way up, but I never had my alignment checked or adjusted. Does this mean that it's definitely off, and that I should seriously consider flipping the ball joints? Do I have any way of knowing if the spacers will be necessary before having it realigned?

SPAZZ
06/12/2003, 02:45 PM
I have had no problems with flipping my ball joints. Only concern would be that it exposes and I took on a good nick on one of my tie rods. So, you might want to get re-inforced tie rods.....I am inpro on some now....:rolleyes: