PDA

View Full Version : I installed Isuzu Garage Door Opener

IsuZOOM
06/10/2003, 06:37 PM
I finally got all of my new Isuzu parts! I got the missing pieces of my roof rack and installed that, the cargo floormat, the foglight switch for my rear camera project, and the garage door opener)

Installation took all of 5 minutes, very easy and I'm happy with the results (namely, making use of the OPTION button on the remote, and not having to see my garage door opener ruining the sun visor!)

Basically, a garage door opener is two wires. So, you either connect the two wires from the kit to the garage door opener itself, or to the button on the wall. I chose the wall button, and stapled the excess wire to the wall the same way Sears did with my garage door wires. Looks fine, works great, and the range isn't bad. It'll open the door from about 2 houses down, which means it's open with 5 seconds to spare by the time I'm rolling in.

Costs about $80, my cat could install it, and it works well. I give it 5 stars, completely met my expectations. I haven't track tested it yet, but the weight savings from the removed garage door opener should equal at least a tenth off my ET, right? ;)

AlaskaVX
06/11/2003, 10:51 AM
Why doesn't our keyless entry work from 2 houses down? Thats wierd :confused: :confused:

coachreed
06/15/2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Why doesn't our keyless entry work from 2 houses down? Thats wierd :confused: :confused:

Your keyless doesn't work from two houses down because the antenna wire is encased in a steal box (body of your beloved VX). If you relocate the antenna wire from under the trim as you enter the door (can't remember what to call that plastic), and put it up under your A-pillar trim, you'll gain a TON of range... worked for me and only took about 2 minutes... since I already had things apart running wiring for my up-and-coming system.

Just a thought.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Spike
06/15/2003, 11:02 AM
If I read correctly, the garage door opener module attaches to the opener inside the garage.. not the VX.

Does that mean that the remote switch on the keychain sends a signal directly to that module? Or does it go 'through' the VX and then to the garage?

If it goes directly to the opener, then extending the range of your VX shouldn't affect anything dealing with the garage.

Blythe65
06/25/2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by IsuZOOM

Costs about $80, my cat could install it, and it works well. I give it 5 stars, completely met my expectations. I haven't track tested it yet, but the weight savings from the removed garage door opener should equal at least a tenth off my ET, right? ;)

Where'd you get it for $80? I had to convince my local dealer that there was an opener :rollp: - guess they thought I was just some dumb blonde! I went through three guys, until I finally got someone to look it up - I showed them :laughp: But they want over a hundred bucks!

:sighp:

IsuZOOM
06/25/2003, 07:18 PM
There are two great places to get OEM parts:

www.isuzuparts.net
(Cheap, but they charge shipping)

www.stcharlesauto.com
(A little more expensive, but free shipping)

I've ordered from the latter with great results - ask for Merlin.

Blythe65
06/25/2003, 08:26 PM
Thanks much Isuzoom!

Blythe

SpaceTruck'n
07/09/2003, 10:51 AM
If you relocate the antenna wire from under the trim as you enter the door (can't remember what to call that plastic)

Ok, the antenna is WHERE? " trim as you enter the door"
Inside?
Outside?
Under?...

AnalogVX
07/09/2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by SpaceTruck'n
If you relocate the antenna wire from under the trim as you enter the door (can't remember what to call that plastic)

Ok, the antenna is WHERE? " trim as you enter the door"
Inside?
Outside?
Under?...

There is a single wire, I believe it is white, under the door sill plate on the drivers side. Relocate that wire so it runs up the A-pillar along the winshield. It gives more range for the remote lock/unlock if needed.

SpaceTruck'n
07/27/2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks. I'm on it as soon as the temperature here goes down to less than 100 degrees

Has anyone tryed to put a longer antenna on the receiver?