PDA

View Full Version : Possible rod issue

Spike
06/10/2003, 03:01 PM
Drove to work today (5 miles) - then came home to feed the dog.

Started the VX back up to head back in - and it sounded like a 40 yr old high mileage diesel.

Took it to the gas station up the street (1/4 mile) they said it sounded like a rod.

Anyway... if this IS a rod, What kind of trouble might I need to prepare for via the dealer? I am already upset that they will probably have it for over a month.

I had a rod go in my old Intrepid, and it was nowhere near that loud. Same size/and higher horsepower engine. But I got her back with a whole new crated engine (not rebuilt) in a week and a half!

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Dallas4u
06/10/2003, 03:07 PM
One comment...

This has been an issue before, but I haven't seen it brought up in a while. I would wait for more comments AND search the other forum as most of the info on this subject will be on there!!!

Spike
06/10/2003, 03:55 PM
I JUST hit 30,000 mi over the weekend to. And she was cruising along happily this morning.

Wish me luck.

Dallas4u
06/10/2003, 04:05 PM
Good luck! I'm at 36.6k and no... well, I'm not going to say it!

Hotsauce
06/10/2003, 04:17 PM
Make 100% sure you have oil in there up to the mark before you bring it in, and have all your oil change papers to prove you did routine maintenence.

John C.

Spike
06/10/2003, 04:36 PM
But I only bought it about 2000 miles ago... I have no papers

Whaleboy
06/10/2003, 07:58 PM
One month ago, I also threw a rod. It was rod #2 I think they told me. I changed my oil religously, and had the records to prove it - which comes to the second part of my story.

My warranty company fullfilled their obligation, only half assed (this is the carmax extended warranty). They gave the Isuzu dealership some awful shortblock to replace my blown one. To make a long story short, as I've been in a battle over this new P.O.S block I decided to approach the tech that did the rebuild, and he said the following -

"I've tried to complain to Isuzu that there's not enough oil getting to those two back cylinders"

He went into more detail about the process and that this seems to be an inherit problem with the 3.5L's from Isuzu... But I forgot the rest...

just some interesting bit of info.

I saw where Dallas commented about this topic coming up in the past, but I never saw the discussion so not sure if I'm just restating old info or not.. :P

Spike
06/10/2003, 08:22 PM
I still have 30k and 3 yrs on my transferred Isuzu drivetrain warranty...

... plus the one I got when I financed through my credit union is backed by CUNA insurance co. I am supposedly able to take it to any shop, even a garage that has certified auto technicians. (certified by who? I don't know.. since they havent mailed me my papers yet)

All this speculation and preparing for the worst.. I need to just chill and wait for the bad.. or optimistically not quite as bad news.

Wish me luck...

... and I was hoping to meet up with the VXs that are headed into central New Jersey this Saturday... grrrr

AnalogVX
06/10/2003, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This has come up before and I only can hope it does not happen to me.:right:

VehiX
06/10/2003, 09:07 PM
Can the folks who have experienced this problem please be more descriptive as to the noises you are hearing to indicate a bad rod or bearing :confused:

I'd hate to confuse a little engine tap maybe say due to poor gas with a bad rod ;eekb;

Thanks

Spike
06/10/2003, 09:21 PM
This was much louder than a 'tap' or It almost sounded like an exhaust pipe banging against the frame, but it was coming from the engine compartment.

It would come and go as the idle went up and down. But it was there most of the time.

Dreadful sound... hope no one else experiences it.

2 months of feeling totally secure and not finding any unexpected mechanical flaws with this vehicle, then I get a flat last week and now this.

VX4EJR
06/11/2003, 09:57 AM
Noooo!!! I just saw your post, what the hell happened??
Where are you going to take your VX for service?

I'm actually experiencing very frequent clunking in decelerations and also a periodic clank noise from the front driveline or axle noticeable when shifting between drive and reverse when the VX starts moving. Might have to give Murphy Isuzu a call but like I said in a previous post, they don't know much about the VX....inside or out....YIKES.

Have you tried looking up in the VX Repair Manual CD thingy you can download?

Elliott

Spike
06/11/2003, 10:35 AM
Hey man,

I wish i knew what happened. It just started up making all that noise and I went from good mood to not a good mood.

I had it towed to Murphy... there isn't anyone else nearby that I could think of.

Isuzu Roadside operators really are easy to work with. I just hope I don't get the thumb-screws put to me.

It's gotta be well beyond what I can figure out from the shop manual CD. I didn't even bother launching it to look.

I have a friend in the auto industry who is out in West Chester. He told me he knows someone at Murphy, plus he deals with Isuzu North America every so often, and has a decent contact there. If I have any problems with service. I will get him to make a few calls and see if I have any recourse.

But we won't think like that. We will think positive and give them benefit of the doubt. (for now)

They are supposed to be looking at it right after lunch today.
I mean, somewhere 'about now'

VX4EJR
06/11/2003, 11:04 AM
Well, the Murphy Isuzu shop guys may not know that much about the VX....but they are good about at least trying and providing satisfactory service. I guess you can't blame them, the VX is a rare vehicle that they either aren't trained on or don't see that often.

Anyways, I worked with a service manager there, Rich Devito (ext.332) who's very honest and won't give you BS. If you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend talking with him to handle your VX. I'll be up there soon with my issues though, no doubt!!

Good luck and don't worry, I feel your pain, trust me.

Green Dragon
06/11/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by VX4EJR
Noooo!!!
I'm actually experiencing very frequent clunking in decelerations and also a periodic clank noise from the front driveline or axle noticeable when shifting between drive and reverse when the VX starts moving.

Elliott

That Sounds like a bad U joint or loose bolts on a propeller shaft.

Incidently the only grease point on a VX is the rear U Joint.

Spike
06/11/2003, 01:00 PM
I agree, ... Lube the U Boat propeller shaft.

Oh.. no word from Murphy yet

Sorry - I think I am getting delerious.
Or is that the humidity?

Elliott, how long have you had your VX?

Spike
06/11/2003, 01:11 PM
Just called the dealer,

They havent even popped the hood yet.

ron
06/11/2003, 01:21 PM
hey Vehix and concerned others...

Here's a link to my own experience with the #1 piston going out on me when I had my new '01 at 14k only. Read throughout the thread and I hope that the descriptions in the thread will help enlighten those who are concerned about the noises you hear from the engine. Please remember, that not all sounds may result in my delimma. The best thing is to have your authorized (trustworthy) dealer check it out and give you a prognosis. Good luck to those concerned and let us know the results.

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001569.html

AnalogVX
06/11/2003, 08:52 PM
Just out of curiosity...what oil are you using? I remember reading a post about a service bulletin that indicated using Mobil 1 0w30 to quiet noisey lifters. If the oil passages were getting gunked up and starving lifters would it be possible it would be starving the number 1 cylinder? Maybe the use of Mobil One would give an once of protection. Has anyone blown a rod while using Mobil One to test this theory?

Spike
06/11/2003, 08:56 PM
I hadn't had it changed yet.

The previous owner said it was just done the week before I bought it. (when he had it in to get power window motor replaced) and I didn't even put 3000 miles on it yet.

The first 1100 that I put on, was all literally all highway.

It was JUST about due when this happened.

AnalogVX
06/11/2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Spike
I hadn't had it changed yet.

The previous owner said it was just done the week before I bought it. (when he had it in to get power window motor replaced) and I didn't even put 3000 miles on it yet.

The first 1100 that I put on, was all literally all highway.

It was JUST about due when this happened.

I feel for you...I really do. You haven't had time to really enjoy the truck. That sucks.

Spike
06/11/2003, 09:16 PM
Actually I have been thoroughly enjoying it..

Its been great in the sun, rain, gravel, some shallow mud...

That is until the flat last week (plugged) and now this.

I just want it to come home soon.
(and without issue or hassle)

Spike
06/12/2003, 06:40 PM
As of late this afternoon, the noise was verified to be a 'rod tap'

TAP? Umm.. ok.. call it what you want.

Anyway, they were waiting for authorization to order the short block when I called in.

I was asked for oil change records... which I dont have due to only buying the VX seven weeks ago. They said they may have to charge me more if it is found to be damage due to neglect.
That part I was definitely not happy to hear about.

I was also told that I more than likely will have to pay for the replacement engine oil, and a timing belt, and possibly a few other 'incidentals'.

Estimated time to completion from delivery of the short block...
Week and a half.

paultvx
06/12/2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Spike
Estimated time to completion from delivery of the short block...
Week and a half.

Getting your VX back, priceless.

ron
06/13/2003, 12:41 PM
Spike...

Just because you bought your VX from another does not mean you should have to be obligated to pay for any additional "incidentals" caused by the rod. Regarding the timing belt and engine oil, that was all covered and replaced by my dealer mechanic at the time of miy incident. By warranty, if the rod goes out, Isuzu is responsible in replacing the shortblock and whatever components that are needed to resolve the issue. If possible, see if you can get another opinion from another dealership over the phone that's within driving distance or towing distance. It may be possible that your current dealership/Isuzu does not want to pay for ALL of the obligated warranty work. Good luck.

Spike
06/13/2003, 07:17 PM
They called me again today...

The story improved a little bit.

They ordered the short block, and an oil pump, (and the headlights) expecting them to arrive 'by' Wednesday morning.

He said that if everything goes well, they will have it finished by end of day Friday or Monday.

He said they wont pay for the oil, and he 'recommended' to change the timing belt but the warranty wont cover the part, just the installation. If he finds anything else thats not right, he will order those parts as needed.

Oh, and "It is suggested, but totally up to you" to get the 30k mile service done... ... for about $400.

paultvx
06/13/2003, 10:51 PM
LOL. Oh.. and while you're at it buy a new Axiom with a fresh 3.5L motor in it. That'll be another $30,000 or so.

Heh. Love how dealers do that.

Spike
06/18/2003, 08:24 PM
Engine block did not arrive today.

And the manager I had been working with since last week, is no longer working there.

Asked the manager who is taking over, how long these parts usually take. He said 'When it comes to Isuzu, depends on which way the wind is blowing, but I will let you know as soon as they arrive.'

He is gonna track it for me in the morning and try to give me a better estimate.

WyrreJ
06/18/2003, 09:54 PM
Poke around on this forum, it has been reported that there is a way to accelerate part delivery from Isuzu that involves the dealer telling Isuzu your VIN. Something about Isuzu wanting to discourage dealers from stockpiling but if they have a VIN then they believe it is for a real customer and will ship pronto.

Also, why are you getting new headlights? Depending on their condition, I might be interested in buying your old ones to use for designing a custom HID replacement.

Spike
06/18/2003, 10:29 PM
Headlights - the rubber trim was peeling..
And as the typical warranty repair process goes, They replace the housings. Meaning they will be sending the parts back.

I am not sure what you mean about the dealer reporting the VIN.
If it is a warranty issue, that had to get authorization. Why wouldnt they have to turn in the VIN to gain that authorization?

paultvx
06/19/2003, 12:18 AM
Rubber trim around the headlight is a easy fix. All it takes is glue. New headlights will suffer the same fate down the road anyway.

Dallas4u
06/19/2003, 08:30 AM
True. It seems the sticky stuff they use on the rubber trim just isn't very durable. You can probably just go to a hardware or auto store and find something that will work at LEAST as well, butter those things up, and slap them back on!!!

Spike
06/19/2003, 09:29 AM
for the headlamps is use an 'O'ring type piece. So it wouldnt shrink around the edges of the housing and peel away so easily.

Gonna call in a few hours to check on engine delivery. They are at lunch now.

Spike
06/19/2003, 01:05 PM
All ordered parts arrived, work was started today!

I guess the wind blew in the right direction!

I think they are playing it safe...

He said we are looking at a "Tuesday time frame"

SGT.BATGUANO
06/19/2003, 09:22 PM
Yea !

majork
03/08/2005, 07:58 PM
I got over 130, 000 (mostly hiway) miles and I havent experienced any problems with blown cylinders, or thrown rods......yet!!!

If the rear 2 cylinders were going too dry all this time, I certainly would have had some serious problem by now.....

I have noted some of the drive train noises others have noted....

So far my most major repair has been replacing the rear main seal.....