PDA

View Full Version : Hood Scoop

gexxo18
12/15/2007, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood scoop? I like the looks of the one JohnnyApollo has on his Vx.

Vehi-Cross-Az
12/15/2007, 09:24 PM
I think I can get this one still, but its real CF
and not too cheap

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/space/scoop1.jpg

that one is a true bolt on.

There are two other style scoops we can get too, but only in paintable
and or CF looking material.
Both are installed with 3m double sided tape but work well and look
pretty cool.

Chopper
12/16/2007, 05:21 AM
I think John has one of the CF inserts that were made a few years ago by "CF1"(long gone) . Two versions...with scoop, and without, and not many of either were made.

gexxo18
12/16/2007, 06:59 AM
What are the two other styles of scoops? Will the tape actually hold it on? And where do you get these?

Thanks!

johnnyapollo
12/16/2007, 08:52 AM
Mine is actually molded into the CF hood insert and is indeed a CF1 design - I think only about a dozen were made, along with a couple of hoods before they bailed. I got this one from a previous owner who had removed it before selling his VX - I think I paid around $200 plus shipping for it. It's not holding up great - small stress cracks along the bottom edges of the scoop plus one corner, probably from being dropped. I'll probably end up painting it when it gets to far along (shame) but most of this exposed CF starts to yellow and crack as it ages (the resins aren't very hardy when exposed to UV).

I've actually owned this for a while off the VX - wanted to have the SC installed to justify the look (even if it's non-functional).

-- John

Chopper
12/16/2007, 09:02 AM
Mine is actually molded into the CF hood insert and is indeed a CF1 design - I think only about a dozen were made, along with a couple of hoods before they bailed. I got this one from a previous owner who had removed it before selling his VX - I think I paid around $200 plus shipping for it. It's not holding up great - small stress cracks along the bottom edges of the scoop plus one corner, probably from being dropped. I'll probably end up painting it when it gets to far along (shame) but most of this exposed CF starts to yellow and crack as it ages (the resins aren't very hardy when exposed to UV).

I've actually owned this for a while off the VX - wanted to have the SC installed to justify the look (even if it's non-functional).

-- John at least it cools a bit....stick on vents, scoops and such, always seem very Mustang....tacky

WILLY
12/16/2007, 10:39 AM
Mine is a stick on from jc whitney and has held up for over 2 years.:p
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg

So-CalVX
12/16/2007, 01:29 PM
i want a hood scooped in sert as well... would prefer it not to be carbon fiber though... i like a nice smooth clean look so a stick on or bolt on is out of the question... i know they are hard to come by... but it never hurts to throw it out there and ask if anyone knows where i can get one.
(mine would be functionalized BTW)

johnnyapollo
12/16/2007, 02:22 PM
The problem with the scoop is that the aerodynamics of the VX causes air to flow above the hood in an arc that ends about where the base of the windshield connects with the hood. For a scoop to be effective, it would need to be a high stack that would block your vision to the front. An extractor setup (where the scoop faces to the back) would probably be more effective, but then you have hot air hitting the intakes for the AC/Vent (they're the vents at the base of the front windshield) so it's not ideal either. If I thought the scoop on mine could actually be used for something I would certainly make the cuts - as it is I think it's a tough design job. One may be able to do some type of forced air setup through the hood scoop but I'm not sure if there's enough room for the plumbing, plus an actual benefit to doing so. The CAI setup to the fender seems like the best bet (I posted some photos) - I see a noticeable difference with that setup in the temperature gauge.

-- John

Chopper
12/16/2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, the scoop would have to be upfront (Pontiac style) to get any real airflow....course the supercharger will pull what it needs, you only have to provide the ducting....no ram air needed

johnnyapollo
12/16/2007, 03:08 PM
That's right - I posted some images of the CAI in my gallery - you'll see what we did to get outside air into the filter.

--John

Vehi-Cross-Az
12/16/2007, 09:55 PM
Are you doing the scoop for cosmetic reasons
or to get air directed under the hood ?
Everyone has their reasons, just curious.

gexxo18
12/17/2007, 05:54 AM
I'd like to do mine purely for cosmetic reasons.

WormGod
12/17/2007, 07:56 AM
+1 what John said. You could always look at something like the pre- '06 STi scoop, but you will be looking at less frontal road visibility and attention from cops who love people with aftermarket scoops that aren't "legal". Go figure.

Vehi-Cross-Az
12/17/2007, 08:28 AM
I'd like to do mine purely for cosmetic reasons.

then that opens up your choices quite abit.
We sell several styles for the Svxs, check out this page
and see if you see any you like there....
one or two may look familiar already...
one or two may be real CF
the rest are usually paintable abs plastic or simulater
looking CF

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.stores.yahoo.net/exac.html

if you go to the home page of that site too
youll also see a Vehicross Accessory Only page we are
building too