PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor Questions / Problems

Inaba
06/09/2003, 11:11 PM
Ok... well... I finally got that sumbeech installed.

When people say it's a tight fit, that's a load of crap. It's a f'in' impossible fit for someone of my size. Ugg... I think I might have permanantly damaged a nerve trying to get the interceptor installed.

Anyway...

My question is this; on the instructions, it says to install the red wire onto the main wiring harness... on the red wire with a silver stripe (as per Tones directions) -- but I don't have a red wire with silver stripe.

So I broke out the multi meter and measured line voltage on each pin. Well, in the process, I popped my check engine light. Anyway, while looking at it, I came across 5, 10 and 12 volt pins on the three pilons.

Which wire should I be hooking this to? Can someone give me a a pilon and pin number? Or a wire that actually exists by color code? Barring that, what sort of voltage does the interceptor require? 5, 10 or 12 volts?

Grant Eaton
06/09/2003, 11:23 PM
Yes, my problem also! Baxman gave me his old Interceptor to try which I installed this weekend. I didn't know what to do with the red wire. The Interceptor didn't really have much with it in terms of official instructions. I don't remember reading anything about the red wire, so I just left it disconnected. The VX works fine, but I don't think the Interceptor is doing anything right now.

Grant

Inaba
06/09/2003, 11:58 PM
One other thing... some people were talking about hooking it up to a switch to turn it on and off.

Why would you want to do that? What's the advantage to turning it on and off. I was under the impression this is something you'd want on all the time. I've also read the settings for the pressure and delay should be 100% and 40-50% ...

Is it just individual preference, or is there actually a "best" setting for the VX? What should I be looking for in shifting etc... with the interceptor installed vs w/o it?

Dallas4u
06/10/2003, 08:20 AM
I don't know why you would turn it on or off either. If a dealer is going to see it down there, and they are the type of dealer that HATES MODS, then it doesn't matter whether it is on or off while still in place... it's STILL THERE.

By the way, I ran the red wire up to the fuse box in the engine compartment and plugged the wire into the fule pump fuse.

Tone
06/10/2003, 09:18 AM
The red wire in the black connector (shown in the instructions) has both silver (or white) and green markings on it and provides switched 12v. Any 12v switched power wire under the hood will work. This is required for the torque converter delay portion of the Interceptor.

Line pressure is adjusted by the other pot and it does not require any power to work so it will function with out the red wire connected. Adjust line pressure to our liking but on 00/01, you probably don’t want to exceed about 20-30% increase. 99s have lower pressure to begin with and can see more increase. Delay is best left at maximum so you carry more power through the shift before the converter locks up.

I just installed one on a buddies ‘00 yesterday. The interceptor comes with it’s own set of instructions as well as the one I create that is VX specific. If you continue to have difficulty, please let me know. I will post the install instructions on my site.

Inaba
06/10/2003, 11:43 AM
Hi Tone,

My black connector didn't have any wire like you described. I installed it on the Black with Yellow stripe wire and it's working.

However, now that it's active, when it shifts, it clunks and is a real rough shift on the upshift (not as bad) and especially on the downshift. What should I do to smooth that out?

The interceptor that I have is from RoninX, and it looks like it came from you Tone, so I have those directions, but they aren't much help for me (being a complete vehicle mechanic novice). It took me an hour and a half to find the right place to plug this thing in. I think the biggest help/change to the documentation is some more detailed pictures (perhaps from farther away, so you get perspective) of where you are suppose to find the plug, as well as the best angle of attack to get that plug. Maybe putting the VX up on a rack and taking some pics of exactly where the plug is from a distance would be a big help.

I finally settled on doing it totally by touch to avoid awkward positions in my hands (I pinched a nerve in my wrist doing this, arrg) and it went in much easier than trying to do it while I could see it as well.

The pic of the wiring harness that came with it was in black and white and squished from it's original size, so it wasn't much help.

So now if I can dial this thing in so it's not so rough, I'll be in good shape :)

SPAZZ
06/10/2003, 12:41 PM
I picked up one from Tone while in Moab. It came with the same direction you all probably got. Yes, it doesn't say much, cause there isn't much to say. It explains all that needs be.
Only problem you should have is finding the correct plug to connect it to. Then route your power cable up through your engine bay(as others have done) and hook it into the fuse box to your fuel pump. Now just follow the instructions that say put adjustment for pressure lines to half way and adjust from there....if you don't have a pressure guage. Next, do the same with torque convertor delay.......then adjust from there.
Doesn't take long at all....unless you have a diamond plate skid plate, then it is better to remove it, but not necessary unless you have big hands like mine, then it was totally necessary.
I didn't have a problem with getting it connected, no pinched nerves, etc... just finesse it.....or find some neighborhood kid running around and pay em to do it for ya;Dp; .
A few adjustments was all it took for me to get it where I liked it. I mounted mine to the frame in such a fashion as to where it would be easy for me to turn it to the side, adjust, then turn it back against the frame. If you do this make sure you have cables lifted away from exhaust or they will sag and get scorched.
Now, that I have mine adjusted where I want, I can remove it from the frame and mount it permently up and away from frame and exhaust, so as not to ever worry about it being exposed or scorched by exhaust.

Grant Eaton
06/10/2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Line pressure is adjusted by the other pot and it does not require any power to work so it will function with out the red wire connected. Adjust line pressure to our liking but on 00/01, you probably don?t want to exceed about 20-30% increase. 99s have lower pressure to begin with and can see more increase.

I have my line pressure set to MAX for now. Will that damage the vehicle?

SPAZZ
06/10/2003, 04:01 PM
you probably don't need the line pressure set to max.....I don't think that's good.....I only have mine like a little less or more than half way............You should probably seriously back off that adjustment.....

Green Dragon
06/10/2003, 04:21 PM
After reviewing the Supercharger Warranty Thread. I wonder if the Installation of the interceptor would void the Xmission warranty? I suppose if there were transmission problems you could (make that should) remove the interceptor kit before visiting your "The wonderful world of Isuzu Dealership"

Tone
06/10/2003, 04:47 PM
ANY mod could of course cause that - I certainly would advise removing anything that the dealer could gripe about. I have run the interceptor for over 3 yrs with no problems and my dealer / mechanic have seen it. The company that makes them is very well respected in the transmission industry and the Interceptor if used at less than 100% boost can actually extend the life of the tranny.

Inaba
06/10/2003, 05:15 PM
I have line pressure set to about 25% and delay at max. It cleared up most of the "clunk." But I still have a clunk when it downshifts into 1st gear... what should I do about that? Decrease the pressure more?

Once I get it set... where should I mount this thing? I currently have it zip tied up onto the body by that hook that's near the tranny. The pots are facing down, with the rubber stoppers in them. Should I move the whole unit, flip it over (so the pots are against the body of the car, or possibly encase it in a plastic bag?

There is the potential, however slight, that it could become submerged at some brief points in my adventures, could this cause a problem?

Grant Eaton
06/10/2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Inaba
So I broke out the multi meter and measured line voltage on each pin. Well, in the process, I popped my check engine light. Anyway, while looking at it, I came across 5, 10 and 12 volt pins on the three pilons.
I popped my check engine light, too. How do you get it to go off? Is yours still on? I tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative cable and turning the started to ON for 30 seconds, but that didn't work. Maybe I need to leave it disconnected for 20-30 minutes to fully drain it.

SPAZZ
06/10/2003, 08:36 PM
You got it, 30 minutes or more does the trick

Inaba
06/10/2003, 11:00 PM
Mine shut off on it's own after a few starts. If all else fails, go to Autozone, most of them have a computer that can reset it (and tell you what it is)

Inaba
06/12/2003, 09:48 AM
/bump

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting the clunk downshifting into first after the tranny is warmed up? How to fix it?

WormGod
06/12/2003, 02:18 PM
Maybe you have some valuable input on this Tone....

I actually noticed something that has been happening more frequently lately. I have had the Interceptor installed since about 3k miles. I now have about 13k. When I drop the pedal for heavy acceleration, dropping from 3rd to 2nd, it kicks into second, but slips for a split second then pops back into 2nd. Almost like it hits 2nd, hesitates, and then decides to go. I have not changed out the transmission fluid since new and thought maybe I would give that a go to see how it works out.

Any idea what this slip may be coming from?

Tone
06/12/2003, 02:20 PM
Try turning the pressure down Inaba and WormGod - also fluid may need replacing.

WormGod
06/12/2003, 02:22 PM
Inaba, I found that cutting back the pressure node will take care of most of the hard shift/clunk. It seems to depend on driving style of the said driver. I believe I have mine set between 35-40 now. Works out well for me. I get a hard shift/clunk every now and then, but that's usually in heavy traffic when I am going between 2nd to first. The Interceptor may not be very traffic friendly. ;)

I would just toy with the pressure until you find a suitable setting.

SPAZZ
06/12/2003, 02:34 PM
What might help, is to adjust either the pressure or the shift delay...not both. That way you can more efficiently track down which one to adjust.

Tone
06/12/2003, 03:37 PM
It’s not the delay...

Inaba
06/12/2003, 09:36 PM
My pressure is already barely at 20% I'd say...

What exactly does the pressure do for me, anyway? I'll try turning it down a bit more, though.