PDA

View Full Version : SC bearings? Alpines phone#?

AlaskaVX
12/12/2007, 01:56 PM
My supercharger has a "rattle" sound now (mainly at startup and idle) and it is a bit embarassing, so it's time to replace my bearings. Does anyone know the part numbers for both the nose bearings?

And now that I am in search of bearings I have found that I may want to go with ceramic bearings? It seems that they may last a while longer from what I read on the net and they don't seem to be TOO much more if it will last three-five times longer. Any opinions on these in a offroad machine that sees a lot of cold weather as well as racing temps in the summer at the track?

I also see a Viton seal as an upgraded seal and will probobly run with that.

I can't seem to find Alpines number anywere if anyone has it it would be much appreciated! Their email address keeps bouncing back my emails.

Tone
12/12/2007, 05:20 PM
http://www.lcengineering.com/ is handling all of their service and parts. If you're getting ceramics, just give the number off of the bearing face and they can look them up.

AlaskaVX
12/12/2007, 05:38 PM
Thank you Tone! I will update this thread with what I end up using.

johnnyapollo
12/12/2007, 08:03 PM
I've had that "rattle" since day one - thought it was a bearing as well, but others who have heard it dont' agree - the SC basically makes the noise when there's some parasitic load on the motor, like at idle when the AC is on, or when coming to a stop at a light and the vacuum swings (tach is slightly below idle). It doesn't make the noise at WOT or even when there's a little gas applied. My friend John Schellenberg surmised it's the screws making light contact when there isn't any compression. Let me know what you find out - also, has anyone contacted Magnuson for parts?

-- John

AlaskaVX
12/13/2007, 10:24 AM
OK I called lcengineering and they told me to call magnuson. Magnuson told me Alpine would never send them bearings and couldn't tell me what part numbers they were, as Alpine would ask for the entire nose to do it themselves. So they referred me to Eaton and I ended up getting an answering machine. Waiting for a call back....:confused:

Oh and Jonny, this just started happening late this summer (50,000 miles without noise). I know my intake gaskets now have a very small leak and causes low idle at startup, is it possible that it could have something to do with it? And this noise really only happens about 1 out of 10 startups and lasts until I drive a little or let it make the noise for 3-4 minutes.

johnnyapollo
12/13/2007, 04:53 PM
I didn't think about an intake leak - if it's slight enough it could be the cause of my noise. I'll have to peel it off and take a look (luckily I have an extra set of intake gaskets - eBay for $14 for the pair).

-- John

AlaskaVX
12/13/2007, 04:55 PM
I didn't think about an intake leak - if it's slight enough it could be the cause of my noise. I'll have to peel it off and take a look (luckily I have an extra set of intake gaskets - eBay for $14 for the pair).

-- John

Damn you! I just paid $50 LOL

Ldub
12/13/2007, 05:54 PM
Another thing you should check...the bearing on the S/C belt tensioner.
The first time I had it apart, there was no sign of any grease ever having been in there.:_wrench:
Also, if not tight enough, the belt itself will make noise.

WormGod
12/14/2007, 07:22 AM
Considering you had the S/C for a while and know how it sounds, compared to how quiet it used to sound, I am sure you know what you are doing. S/C's all have "some" ticking hidden under that whine if you listen for it. You arent just listening too close now for it and that is all you are hearing because thats what you want to hear is it, heh? Every now and then, I will catch it in mine and suddenly it sounds 10X louder than it was before, but its just in my head. Once I stop thinking about it, its gone.

But, in any case, any info yo come up with on replacement parts for the S/C, share share share!!! I would love to stock up on whatever parts I can for it just have for a future rebuild, if I ever have to.

AlaskaVX
12/14/2007, 12:09 PM
Just got a call from Eaton and the news is that Alpine developed their own nose assembly so they can't tell me what is in there either. It looks as if I have to pull it apart and look myself. Which means downtime while ordering the bearing... bummer that is what I was trying to avoid.

WormGod
12/17/2007, 07:49 AM
10 cheers for Alpine!!! :rolleyes:

AlaskaVX
01/14/2008, 11:41 AM
Turns out it was the idler pully, and the bearing slipped enough to cause some slop (carved out the center of my pully). It really sounded as if it was coming from the SC at first, but friction on the belt was making the SCer feel as if it was internal. I procrastinated too long on the noise until it turned into the most hideous thing you have ever heard, hence the carving out center of pulley.

Sorry no part #s with me right now, just pulled it and took it to a bearing shop for a new one.

However the bearing needed to be welded in place so it wouldn't slip anymore. And now I am in search of a new idler pulley, as it would be "interesting" to get the bearing out again. Did they use a stock pulley? (I don't think they did but can't remember) Anyone know where I could find a pulley?

If there aren't any I may go to a machine shop and have one made in an improved way (but... $$$$$). Since the design of the pulley is that the bearing is off center it caused the wear on the bearing. I would like to see one with either dual bearings or a centered bearing, to prevent the "side load" on the bearing. This is the second time this bearing has gone out on me.

Ldub
01/14/2008, 09:14 PM
Glad to hear it was an E-Z fix.:_wrench: :thumbup:

For the idler pulley bearing...

The part # from US Bearings & Drives is: 6067354

Part Description: NTN 6031LLBC3/EM RADIAL BALL

Eight buck$ here in the lower sticks.:smilewink

Had to replace mine a couple weeks ago, I now carry a spare.

WormGod
01/15/2008, 07:14 AM
Ya, wow, thats the least of your worries. Good thing it was something that minor (granted the brute force and frustration involved to get everything working right again).

Still, I havent heard of any issues involving the idler pulley bearings before. I know the design is under par, so I guess I should actually expect anything.

Moncha
01/29/2008, 06:55 AM
Larry, I'll put that number and the Phone number in the Knowledge Base (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia)

Ldub
01/29/2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks Boss,

May I also reco. the recently posted video re: valve adjustment from Deer Mag.:thumbup: