PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance with wiring accessories (camera, monitor, switch)

IsuZOOM
06/09/2003, 10:16 PM
I have in my possession a camera and monitor (both want 12V) and the Isuzu Fog light switch! My goals: The camera and monitor will be wired to the same switch. Since they'll only be used at the same time, natch.

I want the switch to be wired like the cigarette lighter, or the radio, working only when the keys are in the ignition and either turned to ACCESSORY or better.

The camera will obviously be in the back half-moon, and the monitor in the fuzzy hole, while the switch will replace the blank in the dash near the security LED.What do you recommend? How would I wire this up? If possible, please be as specific as you can, as I'm not an electrician, and I've never done this before. For your investment of time and assistance, I'll be more than happy to provide all the details of my installation, including detailed pictures! Hopefully this info will also be of use to others in my ignorant shoes :)

Moncha
06/09/2003, 11:09 PM
Randy,
It's pretty simple actually.. Right Gruven?;)
You can PM me and I can walk you through some stuff. Make sure to view the switch diagram (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1882&papass=&sort=4) that I put together for the switches and that would make things alot easier.

IsuZOOM
06/11/2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks, I'm clueless on this stuff, not sure which wires to splice into for power...

Originally posted by Moncha
You can PM me and I can walk you through some stuff. Done, thanks!

Moncha
06/11/2003, 02:07 PM
I'll work something up tonite and PM you again... It may be late though.

gruven
06/11/2003, 03:12 PM
We now know the correct way to wire the foglight switch enabling you to blow the buzzer fuse on command for those times when it is just too irratating....;pb;

The only comment about the current diagram is that the switch only works when dashlights are on. Probably good for foglight application (probably not camera) so for my use I just ran power in on on pin 4 (no "y" from pin 1).

Moncha will take care of you.

-gruven:supercool

mrlarrys
06/13/2003, 11:14 AM
I installed a 350 whatt power inverter in the jack compartment and plugged the camera and monitor into the inverter, I also ran a remote switch from the inverter to the dashboard ad installed a radio shack red pushbutton switch to turn on and off the inverter which also turns on and off the camera/monitor. The great part about this is I now have a 110 power outlet for anything.
Larry

IsuZOOM
06/14/2003, 08:59 PM
Today did not go well :( I bought all the supplies (relays, add-a-fuse, 18 gauge wire, wire taps, and female spade connectors) and this evening set off to install the switch and wire it up!

The foglight switch does NOT fit into the hole left by the blank on the dash! I destroyed the switch getting it out after trying to fit it in, so $20 down the tubes.... I guess it only fits into the fuzzy-hole bezel? Well, my plan is to put the monitor there so that's not gonna work... Any dash switches that fit into the stock hole to the right of the steering wheel? Man I hope so!

Moncha
06/15/2003, 07:44 AM
I'll have to see if I can find the post, there is another switch that is more expensive out there. The cheaper switch works in the fuzzy bezel but you do have to modify the bezel....

Ahhhh.. Here's the original thread from the

VMag (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003664.html)

Sorry that you had problems, I didn't realize that you weren't putting the switch in the fuzzy hole bezel..

IsuZOOM
06/15/2003, 07:36 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about this switch mentioned in the first post of that thread?
1998-newer Trooper fog switch- 8-97135-512-0, list price $59.13, your cost $50.26!
Uggh... $50!

It looks like the bezel is identical on our dash and on the fuzzy bezel - can either be modded to accept the $18 switch? I'd rather not use the fuzzy hole for this if possible!

Moncha
06/15/2003, 10:47 PM
Yep, that's what I had to do.. There is an angled piece of plastic that gets in the way as you are pushing the switch in.. I trimmed a notch in the fuzzy bezel hole to accomodate that.. Hope I'm remembering right, it's the lower right corner that needs to be notched.

IsuZOOM
06/16/2003, 09:53 AM
Did you modify the switch, or the opening? The opening is rectangle with the block in the top left corner, just like on the bezel I believe:

IsuZOOM
06/24/2003, 09:00 AM
If I dremel the notch out of the hole opening, the cheap $18 switch would fit and be snug right?

Spike
06/24/2003, 09:49 AM
Okay, Let me get this straight -

With the fuzzy hole bezel, you need switch 'a'

For the stock dash switches to the right of the steering wheel you need switch 'b'

Then there is the blank spot down on the center console near the heated mirror switch. Let's call that switch, um... 'c'

Do we have part numbers and approximate prices available for all of the various applications?

(and part number for the fuzzy bezel if possible)

Not to get redundant, but having all the info in 1 place would be great.

a, b, c, and fuzzy bezel...

IsuZOOM
06/27/2003, 12:50 PM
bump! I need to order another switch :( so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moncha
06/27/2003, 01:52 PM
Yes Randy, you need to get a new switch. Then before pushing it all the way into the bezel look at it from the back side.. You'll see what needs to be trimmed. PM me with more if you need to.

IsuZOOM
07/18/2003, 11:00 AM
This heat is killing me! Been over 100 every day in July pretty much, and my garage is acting like a pizza oven :) Makes it hard to work on this project!

Well, everything is wired up. I turn the switch on and... it works! Moncha is "da man"! Thanks for all the help. Still have to mount it all and put my dash back together, but it works! ;Db; ;Db; ;Do; ;Dp; ;Dr; ;Dy;

Moncha
07/18/2003, 07:52 PM
Good! Glad to hear the good news.