PDA

View Full Version : the sign of a great vehicle

etlsport
12/10/2007, 02:31 AM
I was just reading through my old blog posts and found one from the day after I bought my VX...

" but also this wekeend I got the car ive been dying for since i started driving (isuzu vehicross) so now i should be able to come down to MD more often, so hopefully ill be able to see people more too... im in a great mood after a great weekend"

I'm so much more enthused about the VX now than I was the day i bought it... what kind of car gets you MORE excited after 2 years? this is about the time most people want a new car!:_steering

Its not the fastest... Its not the biggest... Its not the most practical... but after almost two years of ownership i still wouldn't dream of replacing it

CrnCnn
12/10/2007, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I feel similar. I have had my moments when I felt lazy and wanted to go the Jeep route and not be creative. But man, I sure do like getting in the VX everyday.

Cobrajet
12/10/2007, 06:06 AM
I'm so much more enthused about the VX now than I was the day i bought it... what kind of car gets you MORE excited after 2 years? this is about the time most people want a new car!:_steering
That feeling hasn't changed after SIX years of ownership. There are probably more than a few owners who have owned theirs longer and still get excited.

WormGod
12/10/2007, 07:49 AM
You mean like me, waiting for weekends to come around so I can park the WRX in the driveway and roll the VX out of the garage to go joy ride? Ya, I know the feeling. :cool:

She flipped 45k miles this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm skerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred!!!

etlsport
12/10/2007, 07:56 AM
yea ill be down in that area starting monday the 17th til the 28th.. maybe ill see ya joy riding

nfpgasmask
12/10/2007, 02:51 PM
I'm with ya man. I still can't think of any vehicle I would rather be driving! (except maybe a WWII German Half-track)

Long live the VehiCROSS!

:) Bart

mbeach
12/12/2007, 01:44 PM
For me, the greatest credit to the VX was the number of member/owners who had more than one of them in the driveway.
I can think of quite a few here.

I've been a member of dozens of auto-enthusiast sites, and I can count maybe two or three other owners who loved their cars so much that they had duplicates.

nfpgasmask
12/12/2007, 02:15 PM
Money is really the only thing that keeps me from owning a Foxfire as well as my Ebony.

Bart

For me, the greatest credit to the VX was the number of member/owners who had more than one of them in the driveway.
I can think of quite a few here.

I've been a member of dozens of auto-enthusiast sites, and I can count maybe two or three other owners who loved their cars so much that they had duplicates.

ZEUS
12/12/2007, 03:33 PM
Money is really the only thing that keeps me from owning a Foxfire as well as my Ebony.

Bart WHAT?! That would be the one for your wife then right? Cuz we all know you won't drive anything that isn't black!

nfpgasmask
12/12/2007, 03:39 PM
WHAT?! That would be the one for your wife then right? Cuz we all know you won't drive anything that isn't black!

Yeah, for her. I just like the Foxfires for some reason. I would still buy one and just park it and keep it....but don't get me wrong, another Ebony would be sweet too...

Bart

etlsport
12/12/2007, 03:43 PM
i'd love to pick up another vx :thumbup:

ZEUS
12/12/2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, for her. I just like the Foxfires for some reason. I would still buy one and just park it and keep it....but don't get me wrong, another Ebony would be sweet too...

Bart I'm with ya, Foxfire is my 2nd favorite VX color, then Proton. As for a 2nd VX though... I think I would go for any color! With that said, I know I am not a lifer - there are too many options out there for new ideas and things to mod. I have too many vehicles already and can't afford to mod them all, much less, 2 VX's. :(

nfpgasmask
12/13/2007, 08:41 AM
With that said, I know I am not a lifer - :(

OK man, what exactly are you trying to say?

ZEUS
12/13/2007, 12:13 PM
Bart, when my VX is paid off, I may be moving on... or I may buy a cheap daily driver and a donor +/- '94 Land Cruiser to swap the VX body onto the shortened frame (Solid axles, auto, V8, and selectable lockers out of the box - still researching). I have another 2 or 3 years to decide - and who knows what could happen in that time! I chose to buy a VX because I figured it was now or never, and I wanted to have one before they were all gone or falling apart. I don't regret it for a minute, nor am I ready to throw in the towel... I'm still having way too much fun with my 64,000 mile Zeus! Didn't mean to scare ya! :bgwo: Doing that much work on it though, is more of a dream than it is a reality, so who knows?!

nfpgasmask
12/13/2007, 01:31 PM
Bart, when my VX is paid off, I may be moving on... or I may buy a cheap daily driver and a donor +/- '94 Land Cruiser to swap the VX body onto the shortened frame (Solid axles, auto, V8, and selectable lockers out of the box - still researching). I have another 2 or 3 years to decide - and who knows what could happen in that time! I chose to buy a VX because I figured it was now or never, and I wanted to have one before they were all gone or falling apart. I don't regret it for a minute, nor am I ready to throw in the towel... I'm still having way too much fun with my 64,000 mile Zeus! Didn't mean to scare ya! :bgwo: Doing that much work on it though, is more of a dream than it is a reality, so who knows?!

Well, I guess I will except that answer...for now. I'm right behind you on mileage. I just rolled over 60k last week. And once mine is paid off, I plan possibly buy another vehicle as well. But, the VX stays!

I really want a Polaris RZR, so once the VX is free and clear, my next debt might be for a RZR.

Bart

Chopper
12/13/2007, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=ZEUS;113914]'94 Land Cruiser to swap the VX body onto the shortened frame (Solid axles, auto, V8, and selectable lockers out of the box - still researching). YES!!!! I like the way this one thinks!!!

tom4bren
12/14/2007, 10:21 AM
me too. I have a 93 TLC that I'll only part from if it comes to a choice between it and the VX (not likely). We got the TLC used because it was a good price & one of the few vehicles at the time with seating for 8 (my three & her three at the time).

As time went on tho, realized that it was probably the ultimate vehicle of it's time (virtually unstoppable). At 1/4 million miles - it's still kicking arse.

I could never plunk the VX bod on it tho. It's a straight 6 so the VX hood would have to be stretched 1/2 way to forever.

JHarris1385
12/14/2007, 12:17 PM
Are the 93's FJ80's?

So-CalVX
12/15/2007, 04:43 PM
my vx could die and still wouldn't leave me... I'd figure anything out to get it back to life. the only way to seperate me and my vx {besides prying the steering wheel out of my cold dead hands} would be if it was seriously totalled to the point of no recognition... and I'd still have to think about it.:) I absolutely love 'er. And on the subject of two'ing it up... my second choice would have to be an ebony all blacked out. If not I would get any color and do an extensive tan paint job, kinda military like..

I am a lifer =)

ZEUS
12/16/2007, 08:15 AM
my vx could die and still wouldn't leave me... I'd figure anything out to get it back to life. the only way to seperate me and my vx {besides prying the steering wheel out of my cold dead hands} would be if it was seriously totalled to the point of no recognition... and I'd still have to think about it.:) I absolutely love 'er. And on the subject of two'ing it up... my second choice would have to be an ebony all blacked out. If not I would get any color and do an extensive tan paint job, kinda military like..

I am a lifer =)Um... do you collect gas masks per chance?

nfpgasmask
12/16/2007, 09:57 PM
Um... do you collect gas masks per chance?

C'mon Zeus, you know there can be only one...

:) Bart

don moore
12/16/2007, 11:31 PM
Um... do you collect gas masks per chance?

lol....one the head with that one..:)

tom4bren
12/17/2007, 04:55 AM
"Are the 93's FJ80's?"

Color me stupid - Ida know!!

"Um... do you collect gas masks per chance?"

LMAO

Ldub
12/17/2007, 05:17 AM
"Are the 93's FJ80's?"

LMAO

LMFAO...:laughing::_thinking:laughing:

johnnyapollo
12/17/2007, 05:49 AM
I'm trying my best to keep mine as well and have also come close to buying another. I just keep adding mods to keep me interested. I'd like to eventually build one as a dedicated off-roady and just keep it parked in the yard when not in use. The only thing swaying me away from being a lifer is the whole gas mileage thing - hard to justify driving the VX when it gets 14 mpg during regular driving (mine gets about 18 traveling the interstates).

-- John

JHarris1385
12/17/2007, 07:45 AM
"Are the 93's FJ80's?"

LMAO

Just figured you would know what body style your driving, but I guessed wrong.....

tom4bren
12/17/2007, 09:32 AM
"Are the 93's FJ80's?"

It looks like FJ80 was 91-92 only. 93-97 are FZJ80. As near as I can tell, there isn't much, if any difference - they just changed the name to make me look stupid. I'll never let that happen again.

Harris - I have my Vulcan hat on now - yer hammered.

JHarris1385
12/17/2007, 09:51 AM
I already found the answer.....http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/History/history.htm.........

tom4bren
12/17/2007, 10:07 AM
Interesting. The site I looked at indicated FJ80 was 91-92 & that FZJ80 was 93-97. The URL you posted indicates 93 was the earlier model. Thanks alot. Now I'll have to do some research.:mad:

ZEUS
12/17/2007, 10:55 AM
"Are the 93's FJ80's?"

It looks like FJ80 was 91-92 only. 93-97 are FZJ80. As near as I can tell, there isn't much, if any difference - they just changed the name to make me look stupid. I'll never let that happen again.

Harris - I have my Vulcan hat on now - yer hammered. :laughing: :wave: By my calculations, the difference between a '92 FJ80 and a '93 FZJ80 is about .1%! So why bother researching? :smilewink

tom4bren
12/17/2007, 11:02 AM
NYUK NYUK NYUK.

That .1% was due to ABS & lockers front & rear. Mine has 'em but they weren't supposed to be available till 94. Color me confused. Can we just leave it at: Mine looks like this (except Dragon instead of Foxfire :gring:). You can call it whatever you want...

@#$%#$ picture. I'll try again later.

ZEUS
12/17/2007, 11:04 AM
Coler me hammer tone then. :rolleyes:

tom4bren
12/17/2007, 11:08 AM
Done.

Navigator
12/19/2007, 08:38 AM
81,500 miles and my VX still looks and runs like new. It's amazing how far regular oil changes and keeping it washed and waxed has taken it.

JHarris1385
12/19/2007, 08:48 AM
Whoa the armrest guy. I just read a thread about you.

navistar
12/19/2007, 10:23 AM
Not to be confused with navistar.

JHarris1385
12/19/2007, 10:44 AM
Good one I liked that.

Anita
12/19/2007, 10:45 AM
81,500 miles and my VX still looks and runs like new. It's amazing how far regular oil changes and keeping it washed and waxed has taken it.

I'm at 94K. Looks new, runs great and doesnt drink a bit of oil between changes. She purrrrrs....

DarkWing
12/20/2007, 08:14 PM
I just got the oil changed in my VX for the first time since I bought it, right at the 3K mark. (The guys at the place that does all my auto work flipped out. I took me longer to talk about the V than to do the work, well, almost.) I had checked the oil every time I got gas and never saw any usage. Then the last fill up, only 300 miles before the oil change, I didn't get a chance to check to oil. When they changed it, I was a quart and a half low. The dude said it wasn't even on the stick when he checked. He checked for leaks, none. (He said the car was in GREAT shape, he thought it was new.) The only thing I could find was very sooty tail pipe. He mentioned that Isuzu was known for burning oil when the oil got thin (hot or old). Have any of you heard of that? (Just past the 80K mile mark.)

etlsport
12/20/2007, 08:27 PM
yep typical of many VXs to burn oil.. try changing the PCV valve and making sure that your oil filler cap seals correctly.. ive been finding quite a bit of oil along the passenger side spark plugs and around the oil filler neck.. i changed out my cap and gasket yesterday (see thread about oil filler gasket) and hopefully that will change, i cleaned up all the oil i could and checked today (maybe 45 miles w/ the new cap) and theres no signs of any oil in the area.. and i was drivin it hard to test it

mbeach
12/21/2007, 09:36 AM
OT:
Oil Consumption. Do a search for an older post by me on this subject.
If you're finding oil on the passenger side of your engine, it's worth a look.

My wife's Dragon blew through a couple of quarts in a day as a result of this leaking valve cover gasket.
It leaves almost no trace of the leak if it sprays in the right direction.

An Isuzu tech told me to switch to 0W30 oil to quiet the motor down, it worked and didn't cause any oil consumption (burning).
I wouldn't say that thin oil is a bad thing.

The VX's greatest attribute is the knowledge contained within this owner community.