PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile track times

AlaskaVX
06/09/2003, 01:29 PM
Went out to the drag strip this weekend and got some times, and a trophy! It was my first time at the drag races and I had a blast! I am running Mickey Thompson 31x11.5 Baja Belted tires with Eagle commet rims, otherwise its stock. At 1/8 mile I was going 65mph and at the 1/4 only 80mph. My best 1/4 mile time was 16.720 and that had a terrible reaction time of 1.2 sec. I believe (I don't have the slips in front of me). It was wierd, since on another run I had a reaction time of .612 (still not that great) and ran the 1/4 in 17.1!

I got a 2nd place trophy in the trophy class with the winner being a Mustang who ran 14.78 and said he would run 14.75. :)

Next weekend I will install my PV muffler and interceptor and see what times I run then. Then in three weeks I plan on having the SC installed and I will get times then too!

IsuZOOM
06/09/2003, 01:51 PM
Very cool, I'd love to see real-world drag time changes for those mods!

WormGod
06/09/2003, 01:52 PM
Cool! I look forward to seeing what you clock in with the Interceptor, the PV, and the S/C. Keep us posted.

AlaskaVX
06/10/2003, 02:36 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention that the track anouncer bought me a beer for having the wierdest car out there! :) The anouncer first said that I was driving an Amigo sponsered by NASA, I went up and corrected him (you can't call my car an Amigo!!) and for the rest of the day he announced me as a NASA Vehicross!

BOARZHEAD
06/10/2003, 05:39 PM
Sounds like fun.. Maybe next time I can go? Let me know and would love to go with you.

AlaskaVX
06/11/2003, 10:37 AM
I'm going out this Sunday (fathers day) I think. If you don't have plans, it should be a lot of fun.

VX Mark
06/14/2003, 03:29 PM
I took my VX out to the dragstip once last spring... I managed several back-to-back 16.3x runs pure stock except the Injen intake. I've since added the interceptor and PV muffler as well, and would love to know what difference it would make. I'm betting nearly 1 second, based on the SOTP meter. :)

BTW... just FYI - reaction time does not count in your elapsed time. The clock for ET doesn't start until you move. Oh, and also, .612 is not bad at all -- a "perfect" amatuer light is .500.

Mark

AlaskaVX
06/15/2003, 07:55 PM
OK well just got back from the drags, I put the PV muffler on on Thursday. I had descent reaction times all in the low .6's but there was very little differance on the 1/4 mile times. Every run it got better but I only did 4-5 runs this time. My best time this time is a 16.84. I think I should have maybe reset the computer or something after I installed the muffler. Well anyway next week I will have the interceptor on (and reset the computer) and I will post the times then. After installing the muffler my TOD seems to be going on a lot more when it shouldn't, I'm sure it's something else though. But WOW, I got a lot of looks and questions, I guess it sounded really good going down the track!

BlackVX
06/16/2003, 06:46 AM
This is real information! I can't wait to see the difference after your reset your computer. I guess other factors like octane and weather temperature must affect the results.
Michael

AlaskaVX
06/16/2003, 10:38 AM
I always use Chevron premium (92 octane). I also have a speaker box with 2 subs (100 lbs) that I am pulling along. Yesterday was a cool cloudy day (after a big rain storm the day before), and last weekend was sunny and warm with good sticky track. Records were broke last weekend and the same guy was out again and ran .3-.4 under last weeks time. Every run that I ran I knocked off .07. I thought that I was running slower so I changed my dial in time and ended up breaking out, running the 16.84.

IsuZOOM
06/16/2003, 11:22 AM
So far, you added the PowerVault muffler and it didn't change the times, is that right?

AlaskaVX
06/16/2003, 12:18 PM
Thats right

AlaskaVX
06/18/2003, 02:39 PM
Just put the Interceptor on last night, took me forever to find the plug in. The picture at Tones site helped a lot. I was looking at the pic and underneath the car and found where it was supposed to be, but my car was REALLY dirty and it was invisible to me until my brother reached up in there and played with it a little. Anyway after I found it it only took about a 1/2 hour to 45 min making sure everything was zip tied up. First impression is that I like it! It switches gears much quicker than before, every once in a while I get a hard shift but not that bad. Going out this Sunday and will be posting times. I am running about 25% pressure and 100% delay. I will take a guess and say that it will run a 16.5 to 16.4 with Mickey Thompsons and speaker box. For racing how high should I turn it up?

hchen
06/18/2003, 02:55 PM
what's an interceptor? i saw it on tone's site...let us kno if it helps a lot.

and about resetting the computer...what would that do? yah im askin a lotta questions and lookin stupid...better than sittin in the dark. and would you ahve to take it in t isuzu to reset? thanks

AlaskaVX
06/18/2003, 03:09 PM
To reset the computer you just unplug the battery for a 1/2 hour+. This will force the computer to learn your driving habits again (with the new mod), If you don't reset your computer than it slowly learns the mod but it is still remembering your previous driving without the mod. With the interceptor your shifts go a little harder and faster. When your driving the shift takes a second or so and then starts out at low rpm's in the next gear. With the interceptor my shifts are quick and have higher rpm's entering the next gear. Makes it feel quicker, but will see at the track.

hchen
06/18/2003, 03:39 PM
oooh....that's neat with the comp. imma have to do that. i guess my driving habits = "why does he wanna break me"

hrrmm...let me kno how much better the interceptor is...probably uses up more gas eh? hehe, but hey if it's quicker...why not get it! sorta like driving manual....a little....i miss manual...

i went to see if they could change tranny to manual buuuut they said NOPE 'cause of TOD...so i guess if i didnt want TOD i could do it. maybe they got somethin in japan for taht...'cause i've seen vx with manual...the rally ones i think. now THAT would be much more fun =)

AlaskaVX
06/27/2003, 12:18 PM
With the interceptor installed I ran a lot better! My best time was 16.6, but all my runs tended to be better than before. My reaction times really improved, down to the .500's about 60% of the time, lowest being .509. I ran a lot more consistant every run and actually picked up another 2nd place trophy. Well this weekend I think that I will put the 18's on and see how I do. I hope to see 16.1 so we'll see. It's wierd being the only one out at the track with mud tires on, but man do a lot of people look at it out there, I probobally get about 20 people that come up to ask what it is. I just got my SC in the mail and will install in about 3 weeks JFYI.

Until Sunday.. late

IsuZOOM
06/27/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
With the interceptor installed I ran a lot better! My best time was 16.6 What am I missing? Your very first run, before any mods, was 16.7, right? So 16.6 sounds like the same time (basically). I've never run drag so I'm not sure if I'm just being an idiot on this ;)

AlaskaVX
06/27/2003, 03:59 PM
No your right it's awefully close, but on the day that I ran the 16.7 records were broke so it was a great day for racing. I think that I could really pump up the line pressure to do better but I don't want to break anything. But with the interceptor I could definately notice that all the times that I ran I did better than usual. I think I only ran 1-17 sec. 1/4 compared to the usual 4-5 17's. These mods have not done much but I believe with the SC these mods do a lot more.

.1 is more than ya think on the track

hchen
06/29/2003, 10:51 AM
yes it is =)

SGT.BATGUANO
06/29/2003, 07:06 PM
Removing 100 lbs. of vehicle weight will yield .1 sec decrease in E.T.

IsuZOOM
06/29/2003, 09:12 PM
What were the trap speeds?

AlaskaVX
06/30/2003, 10:39 AM
Went out to the track again this Sunday with the stock tires back on. I was thinking that it would cut a lot of time off but it was only a .1+ difference. My best run was 16.504. It was an import racing day and I entered in their main import race and made it to the semi-finals which is where I red lighted (bummer). But I still got $25 back out of the $35 I spent to race. 2 more weeks until the SC is installed!

Not sure what you mean by trap speeds, I finish @ 80+mph and reach the 1/8 mile at 66+mph

WormGod
06/30/2003, 10:43 AM
You may need to pep up the VX like this guy did for improved times....

http://fasttrackperformance.com/page5/Chow%20movie%20files/ChrisTTGN.wmv

:D

Wow! Must be nice.... and boxer staining.

IsuZOOM
07/09/2003, 04:57 PM
Okay, been doing some research because this intrigues me. I ask because I'm on the fence about buying this from Tone and your numbers totally run contrary to the "at least 15 hp" claim.

I'm going to assume a base weight of 4250 lbs (vehicle + you + gas, fluids, etc), which would mean your 16.7 e.t. converts to a rear-wheel HP rating of ~ 180 hp. If you dropped the time to 16.6 seconds, that means HP of ~ 184 hp, a 4 hp increase from adding the muffler and interceptor. Does that look right? I know this isn't completely accurate, as your vehicle wasn't weighed at both races, and the e.t. method isn't exact.

15 hp would mean running about a 16.3 e.t. under similar conditions, and you didn't gain even a tenth with just the muffler installed, right?

AlaskaVX
07/09/2003, 05:25 PM
OK, I was running these times with mud tires and probobally an extra 150-250lbs in there also. Also it was not the same outside temp etc. Like mentioned before the first time I ran records were broke so it was a good day for racing. But about the "at least 15 hp" claim I don't really think so (but it sounds mean going down the track WOT). The interceptor could be used more efficiantly on the track by turning up line preasure, but I wanted to see the everyday driving change. The Supercharger is getting installed tommorrow, I'm sure that will make a differance ;)

IsuZOOM
07/09/2003, 06:50 PM
Very cool - who'd you find to install it?

AlaskaVX
07/10/2003, 11:19 AM
A company called Northern 4x4. They are the same people who did Boarzheads 6" lift. They have one of the lowest labor rates in town so I went to them. They quoted me $621 for the install. I'm sure the price will probobally rise a little when I go to pay for it.

Dallas4u
07/10/2003, 11:53 AM
Had mine installed by a place in the Dallas, TX area. Quoted $600. Final price came out to $725 after having to replace a few items.

AlaskaVX
07/10/2003, 11:54 AM
Thats what I am expecting

Dallas4u
07/10/2003, 03:01 PM
It's a lot of money... but it won't matter the first time you test drive it with the SC installed... mash on the petal and zooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm...!

AlaskaVX
07/10/2003, 03:13 PM
I'm so anxious, :freek: I cant wait :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :D :jump:

Spike
07/10/2003, 06:42 PM
(crossing fingers and holding breath)

What would be great, is if you were on the track with some of the people you ran against previously... just to see their faces when you do a good bit better than last time...

AlaskaVX
07/14/2003, 02:45 PM
I can't believe it! All this anticipation for yet another let down! So the shop Northern 4x4 ordered my o-rings from my local Isuzu shop and guess what.... The dealership ordered 1 o-ring and tried to charge the shop $18.75 for it. The shop was like "So what about the other 5 o-rings", Isuzu replied "what 5 others, you only ordered one" The shop called BS and sure enough Isuzu looked back at their records and saw an order of 6 injector o-rings. Now the rings are supposedley on next day air to the dealership, shipping being paid for by Isuzu.

I want my VX! I went and paid it a visit in the shop and they put a chrome Alpine developments plate over the top of the SC and it looks pretty good. I just can't wait to get my VX back! :freek:

IsuZOOM
07/14/2003, 03:04 PM
If you end up needing parts again, call St Charles and let them ship to your shop. Free shipping and the best price in the world :)

AlaskaVX
08/04/2003, 10:36 AM
Well, went out to the track. I only got 2 runs in before it was rained out, and the results were, well kinda disapointing. I ran a 16.1. The Supercharger really makes it feel faster, but the gearing of the VX just won't let you go much faster. I bet that I will see a 15.8 next time after I get a few runs in. The superchartger gives it a lot more power which will be excellent on the offroad, it helps with the passing on the highway, the jump off the line, and it just feels a lot better driving (more power all the time) But the 1/4 mile gearing is just not there. I tried to adjust the interceptor to do better but with little effect. Oh well, I thought I would be running 14's at least, along with everyone else that has ridden in my car. But 3rd and 4th gears are sluggish in the 1/4. I was going 67 mph at the 1/8 and 87 mph at the 1/4.

BlackVX
08/04/2003, 01:52 PM
Ah man, that's a bummer. Maybe the computer needs to get used to the SC?

Anyway, I'm sure you had the nicest SUV on the track!
It must be fun to kick it down without getting a speeding ticket.
Congrats on your new SC.

Go to Canada and get some 105 Octane ;-)

Michael

SPAZZ
08/04/2003, 02:38 PM
I thought the Interceptor was suposed to dramatically help with quarter mile track times??? do some fine tuning man....I knowyou can adjust it to do better!!!

AlaskaVX
08/04/2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by BlackVX
Ah man, that's a bummer. Maybe the computer needs to get used to the SC?
Ya I thought the comuter needed to get used to it, but I have had it on for about 2 weeks now so I believe it should be used to it. Oh well, its still a ton of fun driving!

Anyway, I'm sure you had the nicest SUV on the track!
It must be fun to kick it down without getting a speeding ticket.
Congrats on your new SC.

Go to Canada and get some 105 Octane ;-)

Michael

The track just started carrying race gas at 104, 108, and 112 octane, whats the highest I could use, and still drive back to town on, any ideas? And hell ya its the nicest SUV on the track, in fact it is the ONLY one brave enough to be racing. Its funny, I race all sooped up muscle cars, and still come home with trophys! I love bracket racing :D

IsuZOOM
08/04/2003, 04:01 PM
The track just started carrying race gas at 104, 108, and 112 octane, whats the highest I could use, and still drive back to town on, any ideas? Go as high as you want, it won't hurt anything.

Hotsauce
08/04/2003, 04:59 PM
Use the highest octane UNLEADED gas. Lead poisons O² sensors, and will clog the cat. Leaded gas also causes most fuel injected cars to run much richer.

John C.

AlaskaVX
08/04/2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys, so in 2-3 weeks I will go back out there and try some 112 out, see what it will do. I also need to find a new intake since I am still running the stock box from fender, and I think that is the main performance restrictor right now.

Spike
08/04/2003, 05:30 PM
Try each of them ...

... too much octane can actually slow you down.

Higher octane does work better in high compression engines... however you risk pre-ignition and knocking.

Tone
08/04/2003, 06:52 PM
Too high an octane WILL slow you down. In addition to preventing pre- ignition, higher octane fuels burn slower and more completely. Too much octane for the amount of compression or boost, and the fuel can’t burn completely and thus can’t give off all of the potential energy. See any race fuel site such as Sunoco, VP or Howell for more details.

Our vehicles can benefit from about a 50/50 blend of 93 and 110 or 112 unleaded IF using a SC or NOS - the computer can and does adjust for this.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/04/2003, 07:46 PM
Do you actually get into 4th gear before the end of the 1/4 mi?

Did you try leaving it in 3rd and making a pass?

Tone, is high 15s the theoretical best with his setup?

IsuZOOM
08/04/2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
is high 15s the theoretical best with his setup? According to the dyno chart on our engine (or perhaps a similar 2.5L in an Axiom) the SC gives you 45 hp ($70-90 per horse [after installation] !). Given a stocker should run around a 17.2 e.t., a car with 45 more horses should run about 16.0 e.t.

Those are mathematical equations, assuming the same weight, tires, barometric pressure, altitude, etc.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/04/2003, 11:24 PM
So, since he was running 16.7 stock and 16.6 with PV and Interceptor then the s/c is only good for .5 in the 1/4?:(

Spike
08/05/2003, 05:53 AM
Y'all seem to forget how heavy the VX is... and that we are running a fairly well tuned 6-cyl.

To slice a whole second (and then some) off of any vehicle's 1/4 mi. with these upgrades, and still have it streetable (and off-roadable) is still impressive.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have 0-60 and 0-100 times before and after their interceptor/SC/PV/K&N mods?

IsuZOOM
08/05/2003, 08:19 AM
Not the 0-60, but the e.t.'s are posted here. For Alaska, the muffler didn't drop his time even by a tenth.

Spike
08/05/2003, 08:28 AM
Guess that brings us back to the old claim:

The Jargon Dictionary entry:
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/y/Your_mileage_may_vary.html

Your mileage may vary
Your mileage may vary cav. [from the standard disclaimer attached to EPA mileage ratings by American car manufacturers] 1. A ritual warning often found in Unix freeware distributions. Translates roughly as "Hey, I tried to write this portably, but who knows what'll happen on your system?" 2. More generally, a qualifier attached to advice. "I find that sending flowers works well, but your mileage may vary."

AlaskaVX
08/05/2003, 10:46 AM
Thanx for all the responses, now for my bit.
Yes the VX kicks into 4th before the end and it just won't accel once it hits it.
As for the gas I was planning on using a half tank 92 and a half to 1/4 tank of 112. I have tried to leave it in 3rd but it will still kick into 4th for some reason. I actually haven't put it in 3rd with the SC yet, maybe it will stay in 3rd for longer than before?

Spike, I couldn't understand your jargon :confused:

I'm sure that I will hit high 15's once I get to do some more runs, my first few runs are never my best anyway.

Jolly Roger, I have already changed my tires back over to the stock ones, and it made a .12 difference

Heres a question, If I was to disconnect the front drive shaft, will the TOD still be running and take power away from the rear wheels? If so I can install that TOD on/off switch. I also would like to disconnect my rear breaks so I could burn them at the track :D Is there an easy way to disable the rear breaks? There is a guy that takes proffesional pictures out there and I would love to have a picture of my VX burning some rubber!

SGT.BATGUANO
08/05/2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Spike
Y'all seem to forget how heavy the VX is... and that we are running a fairly well tuned 6-cyl.

To slice a whole second (and then some) off of any vehicle's 1/4 mi. with these upgrades, and still have it streetable (and off-roadable) is still impressive.

First, we're not talking about a second, and then some. We're talking about 1/2 of a second, if that much.

Second, if I put 3 grand+ into a V-6, 3700 lb. Grand National, rated at 245 hp (stock) , we're cutting off close to or more than 2 seconds . GSCA has a 12 sec./ $ 1000 recipe for thr T-T GN.

Probably not the best comparison considering the G.N. already has a turbo and 3.42 gearing. Just food for thought. I figure the s/c to provide 45 hp @ $66/ horse.

SGT.BATGUANO
08/05/2003, 09:20 PM
Alaska,

At what rpm does it shift out of 3rd?

If I was to disconnect the front drive shaft, will the TOD still be running and take power away from the rear wheels?

Yes

Is there an easy way to disable the rear breaks?

I would think that after you disable the front drivetrain, a rear only burnout shouldn't be too difficult, since the front brakes should come in before the rears. You should be able to stall or brake torque it. That being said. if you still need less rear brake action...

......AT YOUR OWN RISK!.......

Either remove rear pads and fabricate a bracket to hold the pistons in, ( don't they tech your vehicle before they let you run? They'll flag you if they find out your rear brakes are disabled)

or..

Oil your rear pads for the exhibition. Then clean rotors thoroughly with brake cleaner / replace pads after burnout session.

Warning!

The first 2 methods will diminish your braking effectiveness and should not be used at speeds over 20 M.P.H. or for anything other then exhibition purposes. Do not drive on the street or race the vehicle under these conditions!!!!!!!!!!!

or..

Invest in a line lock to lock/ unlock the front brakes at the push of a button (they're pretty cheap, install will probably cost more than parts) . Makes a good anti-theft device when wired to a constant 12 volt source too.

There is a guy that takes proffesional pictures out there and I would love to have a picture of my VX burning some rubber!

DISCLAIMER! I will not be responsible for anyone who kills themselves using the first 2 methods, the information is provided for conversational, theoretical, educational and entertainment purposes only! ;)

IsuZOOM
08/06/2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by IsuZOOM
the SC gives you 45 hp ($70-90 per horse [after installation] !)

I figure the s/c to provide 45 hp @ $66/ horse.

Well, the SC itself costs $3,000. But I doubt most people are installing this themselves, so figure $150-1,050 for installation :D In rough calculations of other mods, that's pretty high. An air intake would be probably $20-40 per hp. The PV promises only $9 per hp.

IsuZOOM
08/06/2003, 09:03 AM
DISCLAIMER! I will not be responsible ... Tell that to this guy (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/05/anarchist.prison.ap/index.html);)

Spike
08/06/2003, 10:16 AM
I think someone needs to slide a small block V-8 under the hood to get the kind of HP needed to blow other vehicles off the road (or if you are off road already, blow them back onto the street)

Hey if you can fit a NorthStar into a Fiero I am sure there is something that can be fabricated to fit.

AlaskaVX
08/06/2003, 12:12 PM
Alaska,
At what rpm does it shift out of 3rd?
I'm actually not sure, I'll have to get back to you on that

I would think that after you disable the front drivetrain, a rear only burnout shouldn't be too difficult, since the front brakes should come in before the rears. You should be able to stall or brake torque it. That being said. if you still need less rear brake action...
Stall or brake torque it? Do you mean powerbrake it? :confused: I feel horrible powerbraking any car, especially my VX!

Invest in a line lock to lock/ unlock the front brakes at the push of a button (they're pretty cheap, install will probably cost more than parts) . Makes a good anti-theft device when wired to a constant 12 volt source too.
So this completely locks the fronts? So I just hit a switch and the fronts are locked and the rears are not touching therefore lots-o-smoke? This sounds like what I'm looking for! Any ideas where to find it? How much knowledge is needed to install it myself? How much money for the setup? How much would ya guesstimate a shop would charge to install?

Thanks SGT. BATGUANO, great info! :thumbup:

Hey Spike, BOARZHEAD is actually debating putting a V8 Northstar in there since he is having a lot of problems with the sensors.

Isuzoom, go ahead and get your intake and exhaust, you need to get behind the wheel of a SCed VX and feel the difference, it has sooooooooo much more than it did. It was worth it! Once you hit the 3,500 rpm mark it just starts taking off even when your taking your foot off the gas!

WyrreJ
08/06/2003, 04:50 PM
Isuzoom, go ahead and get your intake and exhaust, you need to get behind the wheel of a SCed VX and feel the difference, it has sooooooooo much more than it did. It was worth it! Once you hit the 3,500 rpm mark it just starts taking off even when your taking your foot off the gas!

Wow, the SC turns our VX into an AUDI?

SGT.BATGUANO
08/06/2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
Wow, the SC turns our VX into an AUDI?

Jer, I didn't see a smilie at the end of your post.;eekb;

SGT.BATGUANO
08/06/2003, 08:27 PM
I'm actually not sure, I'll have to get back to you on that

Stall or brake torque it? Do you mean powerbrake it?

yes. hold the brakes 'till you overcome the stall of the convertor.

So this completely locks the fronts?

Yes, the one's I'm familiar with use a button. When pushed, with the brakes applied it locks the appropriate brake(s) when hit next, it releases the brake(s).

So I just hit a switch and the fronts are locked and the rears are not touching therefore lots-o-smoke?

Yes.

Any ideas where to find it?

Try a speed shop for install. You can probably find the part in the Summit catalogue.

How much knowledge is needed to install it myself?

Can you double-flare tubing?

How much money for the setup?

How much would ya guesstimate a shop would charge to install?

Under 400, I should hope

[/B]

AlaskaVX
08/07/2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks again SGT. BATGUANO, you have been great help. I'll look around in town and see what I find. Can I double flare tubing hehehe I've never even heard that term before so I think I'll have to say no :).

Wyrejj, well I actually lined up with an Audi and it seemed a little close, up to 3rd gear, but then it was gone. The Audi ran a 15.0 if I remember correctly.

AlaskaVX
05/17/2004, 10:44 AM
The track is open and I got my first run of the year in. I ran constant 15.8's! I am going to go all out one of these weekends and drop the front drive shaft, hook up TOD on/off switch, and loose some of that weight! BOARZHEAD ran a 16.29 I think, and he just disconnected his TOD and the elbow to the air box. I would be willing to bet I get into the 14's if I run in 2 wheel, without speakers, back seat, and all my guns and crap in the back.

OK well one thing that seems pretty crazy is my 1/8 mile trap speed is 70 and the 1/4 is only 84. It takes me 5 seconds to get from the 1/8 to the 1/4 and I only gain 14mph!

Here is the link to my Time Slip (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/253time_slip-med.jpg)

MZ-N10
05/17/2004, 04:02 PM
wow....u broke into the 15s.....tats amazing....gl in gettin to the 14s
________
VOLCANO DIGITAL VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

BOARZHEAD
05/17/2004, 05:25 PM
yeh I got a 16.283 at 80.46 mph. Not bad for a stock vx.. I think with all that lift the air just went below me. hahaha. Alan.. Don't forget to go to alaska raceway web site and look at the pics there. your truck was there.

Cyrk
05/18/2004, 07:06 AM
Ha your VX at the strip! I am a little disappointed the times of the VX with the SC and such, I swear mine is faster than that... need to get my butt to the strip to see...

Cool pics...

-Dave

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=007S00EY090008&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=007S00EY090009&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=007S00EY0C0010&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

MrCrowley
05/18/2004, 09:49 AM
Has anyone ever thought about running 5.38 gears in the VX? This would drop times dramatically for you 1/8 and 1/4 mile racers.
Also, the reason no one really sees an improvement with a disconnected TOD for mileage or acceleration times is because the front hubs are still connected no matter what you do. Install some of the old fashioned "get out and put it in 4wd" hubs. They are readily available for the Trooper, and would allow the front wheels to be free spinning. Then disconnect the TOD so the transfer case wouldnt even spin the front driveshaft, and you would have true 2wd. You could then engage front hubs when wanting TOD.

The only way to go- then factor in a S/C!

Cyrk
05/18/2004, 09:58 AM
How would we go about getting some 5.38 gears, I'd be up for that?
-Dave

t2p
05/18/2004, 10:12 AM
The VX already has low gearing - 4:33 ratio. I'm not so sure lower gearing - especially something as low as 5:38 - would be of that much benefit. 1/8 mile - probably, but not for the 1/4 mile. It may be of benefit - but probably not as much as lower gearing does in many other applications. To take adantage of a set of 5:38's - the engine must produce alot of hp at high rpm.
I think one of the reasons is that the VX engine appears to produce much of its power down low (at lower rpm) ..... unlike many other dohc engines. The power curve appears to be 'flat' - I suspect the maximum power achieved by the Isuzu 3.5 is at a relativley low rpm ........
This may also be one of the reason that many feel the VX is faster than the published figures .........
The camshaft profile may be one (primary) reason. Variable valve timing (ala Honda, Toyota, Nissan ?) would probably prove to be very beneifical for the 3.5. Still - I would bet the engineers were more than happy with the performance of the 3.5 given the intended application.
Again - this is just a theory - I have never been able to locate a chart with the horsepower and torque figures.
..... and speaking of gearing, I would prefer 4:10 gearing - over the OEM 4:33. The gearing is a tad low for my use. I never realized how fast I drive on the highway until I started driving the VX. I would not be surprised if the Trooper - especially the US spec Trooper - has higher gearing.

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by MrCrowley
Has anyone ever thought about running 5.38 gears in the VX? This would drop times dramatically for you 1/8 and 1/4 mile racers.
Also, the reason no one really sees an improvement with a disconnected TOD for mileage or acceleration times is because the front hubs are still connected no matter what you do.
Well BOARZHEAD just snipped the TOD wire and he was definately pulling some better times than I was stock, so it must do something! I think I really need an intake! My 1/8 mile seems pretty solid, however after that theres not much there. I will hit up the track a lot early this year, unltil I get my lift and tires. I will hit a 14.9, hopefully in the next 2 weeks!

joesvx
05/18/2004, 12:53 PM
I ran 16.49 totally stock last summer. I wish I had the funds for a super charger:mad:

MZ-N10
05/18/2004, 01:03 PM
how r u launching the car?
r u reving it in neutral and dropping it into drive?
holdin the brakes and holding the gas?
stomp the gas?

im plannin to go to infineon(sp?) raceway 2morow...sure could use some tips on how launch....
________
Grianxx live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Grianxx)

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 01:13 PM
2 foot driving one on the break and one on the gas, I could probably give it more gas off the start. I never look at what I rev it up to since I am looking at the lights of the tree, but I would guess I rev it to 2500-3000 rpm's then release the break and stomp the throttle as fast as possible. I keep it in 3rd gear but I think it shifts to 4th. BOARZHEAD said he had his in 3rd and it was redlining at the end. Mine is definately not redlining at the end, more like 3,000-3,500 rpm's. It has to be hitting O.D. Any way to fix this? I will try to get video from inside the car to see what it does, cus when I'm racing I'm not looking at that stuff.

t2p
05/19/2004, 06:59 AM
???
3000 rpm at the end of the 1/4 mile ......... ???
I believe I'm somewhere around 3000 rpm at 75 mph ......
???

MrCrowley
05/19/2004, 09:42 AM
The reason I think the gearing will benefit- Quicker offline stomp Especially with TOD (this is why the WRX-STI kills off the line). 40 mph in 1st gear with stock gearing is way too high for launching. over the last half of the track you are in 3rd - being lower would accelerate a little better. Our trannies have "racing gears. Closer ratio for track style- not drag racing from a stop to 1/4 mile. No one else in the world does this hence no import has good drag strip gearing. around maybe once off the line, and then keep racing between say 30 to 110 mph. Another option would be to use a smaller diameter tire than needed for looks for a trial run. Like a 16" rim w/ wide performance car tires maybe 25" total diameter. This would equate to lower gearing. If someone could try it I would guarantee lower times.

The Trooper has identical gears although the old late '80's Trooper 2 boxy style had a wide tire option w/ 4.77 gears. Hard to find, and not compatible to our larger late model trooper components. Our front axle is the back of an old boxy trooper hence you can get a limited slip from an old trooper rear and put it in our front.

rocket man
05/20/2004, 02:12 AM
Yes ...I would like the idea of lower gears. Has anyone ever done a change over? Are they available?....this car IMO is not really very well geared for real hard core rock crawling and reverse backing down a really steep hill is awful!~Guys running those 33 inch O.D tires would greatly benefit from those axles

Also, I would advise against a limited slip differencial on the front axle...straight up and straight down conditions would be fine, but side hilling in icy, mud, snow conditions could get hairy to down right dangerous.