PDA

View Full Version : Music

CrnCnn
12/07/2007, 11:37 AM
Due to the recent discovery of new music and artists, thanks Bart, I wanted to know what everyone listens to. I really love music and personally very eclectic. However, I feel I am a mainstream eclectic.

EXPAND MY HORIZONS…..

Ldub
12/07/2007, 11:42 AM
Eclectic you say?...try "pickin' on Pink Floyd" a bluegrass tribute.
You ain't heared music till' ya hear "wish you were here & comfortably numb" played on a banjo.:smilewink

tom4bren
12/07/2007, 11:42 AM
Bluegrass:grino:

Actually, mostly Country but I really do listen to Bluegrass on occasion. Maybe that's why I haven't upgraded my sound system. Country just doesn't blast & reverb the way other music does.

Damm Ldub, I didn't even get my response typed in before you stole my thunder.

Ldub
12/07/2007, 11:43 AM
That is hilarious...the first two replys go toward bluegrass.:razzgray:

CrnCnn
12/07/2007, 11:48 AM
You ain't heared music till' ya hear "wish you were here & comfortably numb" played on a banjo.:smilewink

I have this one, Luther Wright and the Wrongs - Rebuild the Wall.

It is a good album. I like bluegrass.

Cobrajet
12/07/2007, 11:55 AM
XM Radio - Audio Visions and, sometimes, XM LED.

Audio Visions (defined as cerebral new age) relaxes me in traffic and suppresses the desire to commit bodily harm to other drivers. XM LED (Led Zeppelin 24/7) for times when I need to rock. My entire collection of CD's fits in one small carrying case and hasn't been used in years. I have Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Santana, Iron Butterfly, etc. Is my age showing yet?)

Needless to say, I don't listen to music much, except when I am driving.

JHarris1385
12/07/2007, 12:24 PM
Punk
Pop-punk
Ska
All things fast tempo
Favorite bands that would describe my wide spectrum: 311 , New Found Glory, Less Than Jake, Something Corporate, Rancid, Mest, Millencolin, RX Bandits and SUM 41.

biju
12/07/2007, 12:28 PM
REO SPEEDWAGON, T'PAU AND THE JETS.

-biju.

CrnCnn
12/07/2007, 12:50 PM
Punk
Pop-punk
Ska
All things fast tempo
Favorite bands that would describe my wide spectrum: 311 , New Found Glory, Less Than Jake, Something Corporate, Rancid, Mest, Millencolin, RX Bandits and SUM 41.

I gotta say I am really not a fan of these genres, but I do like bits of them.

Solitude
12/07/2007, 12:52 PM
well.. not to shamelessly plug something.. but I had a page built for me (long story) but the music is of my taste.. giver a try...

www.theoriginalsolitude.com:bgwg::bgwo:

Techy-D
12/07/2007, 01:00 PM
Degarmo & Key, Davic Meece, Keith Green, Small Town Poets, News Boys, Petra, DC Talk, Weird Al Yanchovick, Oldies, some Country, Pretty much a lot of everything, but for me the lyrics gotta be clean. Ohhh, and don't forget One Bad Pig and Johny Cash doing "Why I wear Black"!

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 01:46 PM
but for me the lyrics gotta be clean.

So I take it Lil John, Too $hort and 2 Live Crew are no good for you... :smilewink

Bart

ZEUS
12/07/2007, 01:49 PM
Otep - One crazy hot and bothered chick screaming her own poetry. A must listen for metal fans.

Finger Eleven - Several albums from this group have gone unnoticed. They have their own signature 'rock' sound that is easy to appreciate.

TOOL - Come on, quite possibly the successor to Pink Floyd light shows. There should be a genre of music called "Tool" because of their influence.

Acid Bath - Older underground melodic metal from sons of Satan. Beautiful.

Acumen (or later, "Acumen Nation") - GREAT electro beats and creepy lyrics such as "You ain't got the balls to be a hero, especially when I cut off your arms, cut off your arms, cut off your arms!" I think Bart would like these guys before they dropped the Industrial sound and added 'Nation'.

Static-X - Probably the best concert I have been to in terms of "sounding like their albums". Their replay factor seems to fade though.

Chevelle - A rock band that continues to grow with every album.

Marillyn Manson - Say what you will, but Manson has entertained just about everyone in one way or another.

Prick - "THERE ARE NO FAIR FIGHTS!" Sing along industrial electonica. "You found a garter belt on my nose... I warned ya." Love it!

OK, George Strait, Johnny Cash, Keith Whitley, and some other country singers, I can actually enjoy. Otherwise, I sometimes listen to classical music when I am writing. But, sadly, if a hot chick is singing, I generally like it! I'm a sucker.

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 02:00 PM
Acumen (or later, "Acumen Nation") - GREAT electro beats and creepy lyrics such as "You ain't got the balls to be a hero, especially when I cut off your arms, cut off your arms, cut off your arms!" I think Bart would like these guys before they dropped the Industrial sound and added 'Nation'.

OK, George Strait, Johnny Cash, Keith Whitley, and some other country singers, I can actually enjoy. Otherwise, I sometimes listen to classical music when I am writing. But, sadly, if a hot chick is singing, I generally like it! I'm a sucker.

Yeah, Acumen, I do like the older stuff a lot better. I saw them live a couple times back in Chicago. DJ "Acucrack" used to spin a lot back there, still does I think...

And all this talk of Johnny Cash...I love Cash, but I personally can't lump him into country. I mean, his older stuff is definitely more country, but to me, his newer stuff is more folk. All I know is that his cover of NIN's - Hurt and Danzing's - 13 are unbelievable....and SOOO much better than the originals.

Bart

JHarris1385
12/07/2007, 02:04 PM
I cant stand Cash.

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 02:16 PM
I cant stand Cash.

Come on man, JC rules! His music is so melancholy and depressing! I love it!

Whenever you are feeling depressed, just throw on some Cash, or some Swans....

Bart

PS - I can't stand ska... ;puke2; ...and pop "punk" just ain't punk. Pop maybe, but in no way is it punk. :)

JHarris1385
12/07/2007, 02:54 PM
My opinion on JC is slightly skewd but that is only becuase I heard one of his cd's over and over and over while driving to vacation one time in my past. I think its purely annoying.

...Yeah alot do not like ska and I only like the bands that hint on the punk side (Less than Jake mainly). Punk in my terms is doing what you will at anytime with no restrictions (going against the flow). If a band plays punk themed chords but comes across as on a pop note they are doing what they want. My mind changed a couple years back about pop-punk when I read an article debating calling it punk at all. If I can locate it im sure it will show the light at the of the tunnel a little clearer.

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I guess for me punk vs pop punk is the style of the music itself, not just how the band rebels or goes against the mainstream. I mean, to me, there is a "punk sound" for sure. I'm just old school I guess. There is nothing like some good, polictical, aggressive punk to get your blood pumping.

I think I once read an interview with Green Day about how they never considered themselves "punk". It was a label they just somehow acquired. Its funny, I love stories like that. Its just like The Sisters of Mercy. I read somewhere once that they never intended to be a "goth band". But as it turns out, they are like one of the most notable goth bands in history.

Funny how genre labels really mean nothing.

Bart

My opinion on JC is slightly skewd but that is only becuase I heard one of his cd's over and over and over while driving to vacation one time in my past. I think its purely annoying.

...Yeah alot do not like ska and I only like the bands that hint on the punk side (Less than Jake mainly). Punk in my terms is doing what you will at anytime with no restrictions (going against the flow). If a band plays punk themed chords but comes across as on a pop note they are doing what they want. My mind changed a couple years back about pop-punk when I read an article debating calling it punk at all. If I can locate it im sure it will show the light at the of the tunnel a little clearer.

JHarris1385
12/07/2007, 03:07 PM
I used to like Green Day back in the Dookie days and maybe a little Nimrod too, now they too annoy me.
Im guessing punk to you is anti-flag sound?

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 03:16 PM
Fav punk bands:

Misfits
Minor Threat
Dead Kennedys
D.I.
The Vandals
Reagan Youth
Ramones
Subhumans
7 Seconds

But for me, my heart is 100% with mid/late 80s, early 90s industrial. This is the era of music I cannot live without. Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Ministry, REVCO, TKK, KMFDM, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb and all the various side projects and spin offs of these bands....I'll never get sick of.

Bart

I used to like Green Day back in the Dookie days and maybe a little Nimrod too, now they too annoy me.
Im guessing punk to you is anti-flag sound?

Chopper
12/07/2007, 03:41 PM
Such a GIANT question! Bluegrassy stuff/ by way of old Fairport Convention, Pentangle and such Some CSN...some Zep occasionaly..old Airplane silliness NOW...all kinds of crap...NIN, Nirvana, old Butt Hole Surfers, toss in some Portriat of an American Family and old Zombie....I love noise! God Lives under Water.....Dick Dale......Vivaldi and Bach...A GT3,one third of a tank of gas, glass down, and MILES, Bitches Brew please:cool: Some Herbie Hancock, lots of Temptations......Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Springstein....if I'm drunk enough, and you must, but I'd much rather Buckwheat Zydeco, thankyou......love a good fiddle( hate a Charlie Daniels and pretty much all country.....and Opera;puke2;) Jazz is pretty much a snooze......hate crooners/singers. Nosrat Ali Kahn ( when your frame of mind is right:bgwp:) I can do this all day:) Wayne

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 03:47 PM
Such a GIANT question! Bluegrassy stuff/ by way of old Fairport Convention, Pentangle and such Some CSN...some Zep occasionaly..old Airplane silliness NOW...all kinds of crap...NIN, Nirvana, old Butt Hole Surfers, toss in some Portriat of an American Family and old Zombie....I love noise! God Lives under Water.....Dick Dale......Vivaldi and Bach...A GT3,one third of a tank of gas, glass down, and MILES, Bitches Brew please:cool: Some Herbie Hancock, lots of Temptations......Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Springstein....if I'm drunk enough, and you must, but I'd much rather Buckwheat Zydeco, thankyou......love a good fiddle( hate a Charlie Daniels and pretty much all country.....and Opera;puke2;) Jazz is pretty much a snooze......hate crooners/singers. Nosrat Ali Kahn ( when your frame of mind is right:bgwp:) I can do this all day:) Wayne

Now THAT'S ecclectic! LOL. How the heck old are you, Chopper? Its fun to try to guess people's age range from their musical taste.

:) Bart

Chopper
12/07/2007, 03:47 PM
KMFDM??" Machines don't make mistakes, humans do.....that's why we employ machines"

Chopper
12/07/2007, 03:50 PM
Some may have considered Frank Zappa a genius....he certainly wasn't boring.

MSHardeman
12/07/2007, 04:01 PM
Let's bounce around the 'ol Ipod here:

Al Green, 30 Seconds to Mars, 10 Years, Agent Orange, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Amy Winehouse, Anberlin, Young Dubliners, Yo-Yo Ma, Bauhaus, Func Haus, The Benevento/Russo Duo, Bif Naked, Big Pig, Blackalicious, Wynton Marsalis, Mozart, Tuatara, Tower of Power, Thievery Corporation, Boom Boom Satellites, BT, Celldweller, Chris Botti, Sting, The Police, The Cult, The Cure, Theory of a Deadman, Spyro Gyra, Spinesank, Social Distortion, Shirley Bassey, Flyleaf, Esthero, Frank Sinatra, Gotan Project, Hot Action Cop, Razed In Black, Kidney Thieves, Andrea Bocelli...

OK, maybe I should stop now. I tend to listen to all kinds of stuff from all kinds of genres. I'm going to have to Limewire some of the bands I've seen from other people to expand my horizons.

CrnCnn
12/07/2007, 04:16 PM
Let's bounce around the 'ol Ipod here:

Al Green, 30 Seconds to Mars, 10 Years, Agent Orange, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Amy Winehouse, Anberlin, Young Dubliners, Yo-Yo Ma, Bauhaus, Func Haus, The Benevento/Russo Duo, Bif Naked, Big Pig, Blackalicious, Wynton Marsalis, Mozart, Tuatara, Tower of Power, Thievery Corporation, Boom Boom Satellites, BT, Celldweller, Chris Botti, Sting, The Police, The Cult, The Cure, Theory of a Deadman, Spyro Gyra, Spinesank, Social Distortion, Shirley Bassey, Flyleaf, Esthero, Frank Sinatra, Gotan Project, Hot Action Cop, Razed In Black, Kidney Thieves, Andrea Bocelli...

OK, maybe I should stop now. I tend to listen to all kinds of stuff from all kinds of genres. I'm going to have to Limewire some of the bands I've seen from other people to expand my horizons.

Sounds like you stole my iPod....

I didnt know anyone still used Limewire.

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 04:20 PM
I didnt know anyone still used Limewire.

Fer serious, I haven't heard of anyone using that in ages. Last time I was on there it was nothing but viruses and spyware...

Bart

etlsport
12/07/2007, 04:22 PM
artist you'll often hear in my VX...

Citizen Cope, Audioslave, Metallica, Godsmack, Hurt, DMX, Nelly, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Tool, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Nirvana, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Disturbed, Eminem, Fuel, Kid Rock, Marilyn Manson, Pink Floyd, Hinder, RHCP... the list goes on and on and on.. but you get the point

Chopper
12/07/2007, 04:24 PM
Now THAT'S ecclectic! LOL. How the heck old are you, Chopper? Its fun to try to guess people's age range from their musical taste.

:) BartOld enough to have seen all the acts listed (first live music was Hendrix, and I was trippin) but I was raised by wolves, and on my own pretty young:grinr:

nfpgasmask
12/07/2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I figured you were old, crusty and ancient! ;) LOL, jk. You just threw me off with your video game thread, cause gaming is typically a sign of youth, or relative youth at least (i'm getting old and crusty myself...well, I've always been crusty).

Old enough to have seen all the acts listed (first live music was Hendrix, and I was trippin) but I was raised by wolves, and on my own pretty young:grinr:

Chopper
12/07/2007, 04:38 PM
Just don't grow up:_confused I refuse.

Chopper
12/07/2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I figured you were old, crusty and ancient! ;) LOL, jk. You just threw me off with your video game thread, cause gaming is typically a sign of youth, or relative youth at least (i'm getting old and crusty myself...well, I've always been crusty).

:) BartOld, crusty, and ancient my ***....five in da eye when I meet you:p:p:p

Cobrajet
12/07/2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I figured you were old, crusty and ancient! ;)

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

johnnyapollo
12/07/2007, 06:13 PM
I listen to pretty much everything but I do have my favorites - those are mostly old SKA bands, pre-80's punk bands and early 80's new wave. I like old school rap (pre MTV Raps) and can't stand much of the new Hip Hop that's being peddled. I also like old lounge and acid jazz quite a bit. I've got an extensive collection.

-- John

Triathlete
12/07/2007, 09:50 PM

Or try some Apocilyptica....Metalica (and others) done on chello!

My music collection has everything rock in it...
Some favorites (it would take way to much time and space to put them all up)
Punk...Dead Kennedys, Replacements, Husker Du, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Iggy Pop (Stooges),...
Current rock...5 finger death punch, Slip Knot, Snot, Lamb of God, Tool,...
And pretty much everything in between including the classic stuff (Zep, Floyd, Scorpions, Priest, Maiden,...)

kobie
12/07/2007, 09:54 PM
So I'll stand up as one who is biased towards contemporary rap/ hip hop/ R&B- here goes:
New stuff I like- Jay Z (American Gangster, "Roc Boys"), Kanye, Talib Kweli, Fort Minor, Outkast, Andre 3000 collaboration efforts, NERD, any Neptunes production, Rihanna, Beyonce, any New Orleans Bounce music, any Ludacris collaboration but nothing on his albums, The Roots, Erykah Badu, Kirk Franklin, Timbaland productions (JT, Nelly Furtado, Missy Elliot)

Old Stuff I like- Public Enemy, Run DMC, Ice-T, The D.O.C, Parliament/ Funkadelic/ Bootsy Collins, PRINCE (and Madhouse), Camp Lo, Clipse, Pharcyde, Meshell NdegeOcello, Kill Bill Soundtrack (is genius), James Brown, Micheal Jackson, LL Cool J (and his battle raps), Art of Noise

Other Stuff- Foo Fighters ("The Pretender!"), all Linkin Park, Kelly Clarkson's new album, Alanis, J Timberlake (don't shoot!), Herbie Hancock (love "The Egg"), GnR, Imogen Heap, Miles, Danny Elfman, Jungle electronica (Goldie, Bjork, Apex Twin, Massive Attack- made the theme song for the show "House"), Rolling Stones, Saliva, Brand New Heavies

My lists are long but I rotated these and others in and out of my CD changer when it was working. I used to listen to more Jazz but for some reason it bores when when driving the VX.

Kudos to those with the super wide range of musical tastes. I'm going to look up some of these people and have a listen!

spaceCADETzoom
12/07/2007, 11:31 PM
I think I've had phases in my life. There was angry gangsta rap phase. There was a short snobby underground hiphop phase. Actualyl...those were my silly highschool phases. I just realized that I was pretty eclectic in my entire life outside of the time in HS where what I was listening to was dictated by what I thought was cool.

Nowadays I'm really drawn to anything acoustic. I was raised on a lot of folk and singer/songwriter stuff by my dad. I'm into a lot of contemporary forebearers of that now. I like pretty much everything (from rap to pop to a heay emphasis on classic rock)...but often get tired of manufactured stuff. I think I often lean to country but am constantly depressed by the manufactured sound out of nashville and country stations. I do like that there's the occasional exception of actual guitar work and vocals in there, though. Perhaps thats why I lean to it...sometimes theres a pretense, at least, of bluegrass and other basic sounds coming from country.

Ha...I don't make much sense..stream of thought all wonky.

CrnCnn
12/07/2007, 11:50 PM
Any one like Little brother or Common. GURU. Lupe Fiasco.

JHarris1385
12/08/2007, 05:00 AM
Any one like Little brother or Common. GURU. Lupe Fiasco.

Lupe isnt half bad. For rap I like Clipse and The Pack

Ldub
12/08/2007, 06:43 AM

Say WHAT??? At fifty I'm still gaming...Ps3, Xbox & gamecube...yeah I know, no 360 or wii. Mostly racing, hot shots/outlaw golf, Onimusha, Devil may cry, with a few fps thrown in for good measure.
Just so y'all don't think I sit around & listen to Pink Floyd on the banjo all day, I'll flesh out my list with, but not limited to...(list limited by memory):rolleyesg
(* indicates presence @ live performance)

Stones, Hendrix, Who*, Floyd*(watching "Delicate Sound of Thunder" dvd is like being there), Buck Cherry, J Cash, W Nelson, Patsy Cline, JL Hooker, Doors, Dylan, Vivaldi, ZZ Top, Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, Paul Simon, Chris Isaak, Boomtown Rats, Art of Noise, Dick Dale*, Eagles, White Stripes, Butthole Surfers, Jim Carrol, Primus, Aerosmith*, Alice Cooper*, Kiss*(hey, it was the seventies), Saliva, Nirvana, Spin Doctors, Joan Osborne, Tracy Chapman, Counting Crows, Smashing Pumpkins, Tina Turner, Collective Soul, Cheap Trick*, Tom Petty, Kid Rock, Bilnk 182, Iggy Pop, Green Day, Everclear, Cracker, 3 Doors Down, Alannah Myles, Saigon Kick, Ramones, Santana, Sinatra, Blur, Boston, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Beatles, INXS, April Wine*, Dire Straits, U2, Romantics, G-n-R, Blondie, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Pat Benatar, Bottle Rockets, Ted Nugent, Procal Harum, Janis Joplin, Bad Co, Great White, REM, The Fixx, The Cars, Cure, Eurythmics, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Berlin, Tone Loc, Enigma, Patrick Ohearn, Pretenders, Styx, Elton John, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Jeff Beck, Cream, Byrds, J T, Carly Simon, Stevie Wonder, Robert Cray*, J Airplane, Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles, Neil Young, James Brown, Head East, Clapton, Canned Heat, Billy Thorpe, Elvis, Elvis Costello, AC/DC, Nazereth...
I could go on, that's not the half of it, & there are quite a few live performances that I can't remember right now for whatever reason.:rolleyesg

ZEUS
12/08/2007, 08:53 AM
This thread makes me want to dig up some of those CDs I haven't heard in awhile: Prong, Apex Theory, Violent Femmes, Coal Chamber, Credence, Bush, Escape From LA soundtrack, Rorshach Test, etc....

SIDENOTE: My Mom worked at a recording studio in San Francisco in the 60's. So she dated John Kay from Steppenwolf and partied with Janis Joplin... that explains a bit about how I came out, right?! :bwgy:

johnnyapollo
12/08/2007, 12:52 PM
I'll go ahead and list the main bands I tend to listen to (list if from iTunes and is pretty much what I have loaded on the iPod):

ABC, Adam Ant, Aimee Mann, Arested Development, Art Pepper, the Band, Bauhaus, Beatles, Beck, Ben Folds, Berlin, Beta Band, Big Country, Billie Holiday, Billy Idol, Bjork, Black Flag, Blink 182, Blondie, Blue Nile, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Marley, Bob Mould, Boomtown Rats, Bootsy Collins, Bow Wow Wow, Breeders, Brian Eno, Brian Setzer, Brian Wilson, Brothers Johnson, Bryan Ferry, Buddy Guy, Buffalo Springfield, Burning Spear, Butthole Surfers, Buzzcocks, Byrds, Camper Van Beethoven, Can, Captain Beefheart, Captain Sensible, Cars, Charles Mingus, Cheap Trick, Chet Atkins, Chris Isaak, the Church, Circle Jerks, the Clash, Cocteau Twins, Coldplay, Collective Soul, Colourfield, Combustible Edison, Comsat Angles, Cracker, Cramps, Crash Test Dummies, Cream, Crowded House, Culture Club, Cure, Curtis Mayfield, Damned, Dandy Livingstone, Darkness, Dave Matthews, David Bowie, David Byrne, db's, De La Soul, Dead Boys, Dead Kennedys Dead Milkman, Death Cab for Cutie, Dee-lite, Depeche Mode, Derrick Morgan, Desmond Dekker, Devo, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Dickies, Digable Planets, Dinosaur Jr, Doc Watson, Don Drummond, Donovan, Doors, Doves, Dr. John, Dread Zeppelin, Drivin-n-Cryin, Duran Duran, Dust Brothers, Echo & the Bunnymen, Edwyn Collins, Electrafixion, Elvis Costello, Elvis Presley, English Beat, Erasure, Ethiopians, Eurythmics, Everclear, Faith No More, the Fall, Fear, Fergie, Finn Brothers, Fishbone, Fix, Fleshtones, Flock of Seagulls, Foo Fighters, Frank Black, Frank Zappa, Frente!, Fun Boy Three, Funkadelic, Gary Numan, General Public, Generation X, George Clinton, George Thorogood, Gipsy Kings, the Gladiators, Go Go's, Go West, Godfathers, Gov't Mule, Grace Jones, Grand Funk Railroad, Green Day, Gregory Isaacs, Guadalcanal Diary, Guided by Voices, Gumbo, Guns N' Roses, Gustav Mahler, Haircut 100, Hank Williams Sr, Harry Nilsson, Wawkwind, Heaven 17, Henry Rollins, Hepcat, Hoodoo Gurus, Hot Tuna, Howlin' Wolf, Human Leagure, Husker Du, Ian McCulloch, Icehouse, Icicle Works, Iggy Pop, Indigo Girls, INXS, Israel Vibration, Jackie Mittoo, the Jam, James, James Gang, Jane's Addiction, Japan, Jefferson Airplane, Jesus Jones, Jethro Tull, Jim Croche, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Jimmy Cliff, Jimmy Page, Joan Jett, Joe Cocker, Joe Jackson, Joe Strummer, John Coltrane, John Lennon, John Prine, Johnny Cash, Joy Division, Judas Priest, Julan Cope, Kate Bush, Killers, Killing Joke, Kim Wilde, King, King Crimson, Kinks, Kiss, Kraftwerk, Krisin Hersh, Kruder & Dorfmeister, L7, Ladytron, Laurel Aitken, Led Zeppelin, Lee Perry, Lene Lovitch, Leonard Cohen, Les Paul, Lester Bangs, Level 42, Little Feat, Living Colour, Lords of the New Church, Los Lobos, Lou Reed, Love and Rockets, Madness, Magazine, Man or Astroman, Marvin Gaye, Matisyahu, Mathew Sweet, MC5, Meatloaf, Melodians, Men without Hats, Michelle Shocked, Midnight Oil, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mike Oldfield, Miles Davis, Minutemen, Missing Persons, Mission of Burma, Modern English, Moody Blues, Morphine, Morrisey, Mudhoney, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, 999, Nazareth, Neil Young, Neville Brothers, New Order, New York Dolls, Nick Lowe, Nico, NIN, Nina Hagen, Nirvanna, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Oasis, Ohio Players, Oingo Boingo, OMD, Orb, Orbital, Otis Redding, Outkast, Parliament and Pfunk, Patsy Cline, Paul McCartney, Paul Weller, Pavement, Pearl Jam, Pet Shop Boys, Peter Frampton, Peter Gabriel, Peter Murphy, Peter Tosh, Pharoah Sanders, Philip Glass, Phyllis Dillon, Pietasters, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Plimsouls, Police, Pretenders, Primus, Prince, Prince Buster, Prince Jammy, Psychedelic Furs, Public Image Ltd, Pylon, Queen, REM, Radiohead, Ramones, Ravi Shankar, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REplacements, Reverand Horton Heat, Rezillos, Rick Wakeman, Robyn Hitchcock, Roches, Rocket from the Tombs, Rolling Stones, Rollins Band, Romantics, Romeo Void, Roxy Music, Run DMC, Rush, Rusted Root, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Saint Etienne, Samhain, Santana, Sarah McLachlan, Sasha, Scientists, Scritti Politti, Seal, Selector, Sex Pistols, Sham 69, Shonen Knife, Simple Minds, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Skatalites, Slits, Sly & the Family Stone, Small Faces, Smashing Pumpkins, Smithereens, Smiths, Sneaker Pimps, Social Distortion, Soft Cell, Sonic Yough, Soundgarden, Spandau Ballet, Special, Split Enz, Squeeze, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Steppenwolf, Stereolab, Stiff Little Fingers, Sting, Stone Temple Pilots, Stranglers, Stray Cats, Style Council, SubHumAns, Sugar, Sugarcubes, Suzanne Vega, 311, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, Television, Tenacious D, Terence Trent D'arby, Thelonious Monk, They Might Be Giants, Thievery Corporation, Thomas Dolby, Thompson Twins, Three Dog Night, Throwing Muses, 'Til Tuesday, Tito Puente, Toasters, Tom Petty, Tom Tom Club, Tom Verlain, Tom Waits, Tool, Toots and the Maytals, Tori Amos, Tracy Chapman, Traffic, Tragically Hip, Traveling Wilburys, Tubes, U2, UB40, Ultravox, Vangelis, Velvet Undergroud, Verve, Violent Femmes, 101'ers, Wall of Voodoo, War, Warren Zevon, Was (Not Was), Ween, Weezer, Wendy Alleyne, Wham, White Stripes, Wilco, Wire, Woody Guthrie, X, X-Ray Specs, XTC, Yardbirds, Yazoo, Yello, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Yes, Yo La Tengo, Ziggy Marley

The list is pretty extensive but each group serves a different purpose.

-- John

nfpgasmask
12/08/2007, 04:18 PM
Say WHAT??? At fifty I'm still gaming...Ps3, Xbox & gamecube...yeah I know, no 360 or wii. Mostly racing, hot shots/outlaw golf, Onimusha, Devil may cry, with a few fps thrown in for good measure.

That's cool Dub, I'm still on PS2, no Wii or 360 or PS3 for me...yet. I think I might pick up a PS3 once we move into the new house though.

Bart

Chopper
12/08/2007, 05:20 PM
This thread makes me want to dig up some of those CDs I haven't heard in awhile: Prong, Apex Theory, Violent Femmes, Coal Chamber, Credence, Bush, Escape From LA soundtrack, Rorshach Test, etc....

SIDENOTE: My Mom worked at a recording studio in San Francisco in the 60's. So she dated John Kay from Steppenwolf and partied with Janis Joplin... that explains a bit about how I came out, right?! :bwgy:

I've seen Prong like ten times, (N. Jersey)Whose fist is this anyway?:p

CrnCnn
12/09/2007, 06:27 PM
To those of you who like SRV, Clapton and Hendrix. You should check out Indigenous if you havent already. Good stuff.

WormGod
12/10/2007, 08:26 AM
My recent playlist:

Underworld: (new album)Oblivion With Bells
Mogwai
Boards of Canada (simply the best electronica available)
Primus
Hooverphonic
Stiffed
Tiesto (long live the Adagio for Strings mix)

Last, but not least, The Frames: Dream Awake. POWERFUL !@#$ing tune!!!!!! This song is FELT, not heard.

MSHardeman
12/10/2007, 08:27 AM
What's wrong with Limewire? :confused: I know this is a little off topic, but what download service does everyone else use. I've never had a problem with Limewire, and I can always find what I'm looking for, but I'm always up for something new. I guess we don't get much news out here in the mountains of Colorado, so someone get me up to speed.

nfpgasmask
12/10/2007, 09:07 AM
My recent playlist:

Mogwai
Primus
Hooverphonic
Stiffed

Last, but not least, The Frames: Dream Awake. POWERFUL !@#$ing tune!!!!!! This song is FELT, not heard.

What do you think of Oblivion With Bells?? I listened to it the other day, and maybe I need to give it a few more spins, but it seemed a lot different than their previous stuff....

Hooverphonic is good, and Legowelt's remix of Mogwai's Get:On is one of my all time favorite songs...Legowelt RULES.

Bart

nfpgasmask
12/10/2007, 09:08 AM
What's wrong with Limewire? :confused: I know this is a little off topic, but what download service does everyone else use. I've never had a problem with Limewire, and I can always find what I'm looking for, but I'm always up for something new. I guess we don't get much news out here in the mountains of Colorado, so someone get me up to speed.

When was the last time you used it? All I can remember about it is downloading something that turned out to be a virus or spyware....

Bart

JHarris1385
12/10/2007, 09:25 AM

Limewire used to be good but that was a couple years ago. I could never find anything but viruses and such. I personally use mininova and bit commet....I wont name, names (becuase of past request not too) but it was someone here that introduced me to this way of downloading - and I will never go back.

johnnyapollo
12/10/2007, 10:23 AM
I like Shareaza - it's an aggregator that hooks into multiple networks.

-- John

Solitude
12/10/2007, 03:31 PM
Robert Cray would be another blues artist to check out.. he was at the festival that SRV was at the night he passed

WormGod
12/11/2007, 07:05 AM
What do you think of Oblivion With Bells?? I listened to it the other day, and maybe I need to give it a few more spins, but it seemed a lot different than their previous stuff....

Hooverphonic is good, and Legowelt's remix of Mogwai's Get:On is one of my all time favorite songs...Legowelt RULES.

Bart

The first I listened to it, I was alittle confused. It is a little tame compared to their previous stuff, but it grew on me, FAST. I have had it for over 2 months now and I listen to it a LOT. The cd stays in the VX and its ripped on my iPod for my Rex, so it definately gets airtime.

I have been finding a lot of new (to me) stuff using Pandora.com lately. a co-workers turned me onto it and I use it religiously when I am working from home. Free or pay (gets rid of ads) and the sound quality is very good. I find myself jotting down artists, albums, and tracks for later purchases. Highly recommended.

MSHardeman
12/11/2007, 07:54 AM
WormGod,

I would have to agree with you regarding Pandora. I really like it since they have come up with genre stations. Before you had to type in a specific artist and they gave you other artists that had similar styles, but with the new genre stations you get a wide range of artists for a certain musical style. Every time I listen to Pandora I make sure to have a pen and piece of paper handy to write stuff down.

nfpgasmask
12/11/2007, 09:44 AM
I think Pandora is interesting, but still VERY lacking as far as selection. They do have a lot of cool bands in there, but its easy to stump with some of the more obscure stuff...

Bart

Techy-D
12/11/2007, 12:53 PM
So I take it Lil John, Too $hort and 2 Live Crew are no good for you... :smilewink

Bart

Yeah, Shows how far from the pack I am, I haven't even heard of the first 2!:eek:

Here's a line from an old song I get a laugh out of:
...."I met a lady. She drank and swore just like a sailor. I asked her where she got her mouth, and if she had a tailor?"... :p

bulldog
12/11/2007, 01:33 PM
even more of a shameless plug,,listen to my stuff
www.myspace.com/darrenjones:)

Mark B
12/11/2007, 04:31 PM
Classical from Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, all the way to Heavy Metal,
The real bands were those in the 70's.
Who, Black Sabbath, Stones, REO, RUSH, Styx, ELO, to many good bands to remeber.
WOW, I am having a LSD flash back to my college days.
I never inhaled just like Bill Clinton if you can believe that.

tomdietrying
12/11/2007, 07:04 PM
I listen to SIRIUS SATELITE.

Right now the two things I listen to are HOWARD STERN and CH. 14 - Classic Vinyl. (Stone, Led Zepplin, Cult etc.)

Peace.
Tom

mdwyer
12/11/2007, 08:24 PM
Primus
Hooverphonic

Have you tried Hybrid? I think you might really like it. I recommend starting with their older stuff. You can get a lot of their DJ sessions at http://www.hybridized.org/

Other than that, I've been listening to BT, Talking Heads, and Fila Brazillia's "Another Late Night" compilation.

don moore
12/12/2007, 12:27 AM
ELO,CAKE,WILLY,CHICAGO,EDDIE RABBIT,,

I hate this RAP shi& that dis. girls as meat.:mad:

WormGod
12/12/2007, 07:22 AM
ELO,CAKE,WILLY,CHICAGO,EDDIE RABBIT,,

I hate this RAP shi& that dis. girls as meat.:mad:

Cake..... good man. I am SO glad Cake is one that always slips under the radar.

Oh, and PLEASE allow me to throw my obscure fav in.... Steely Dan. On a nice day here in MD, it is a delightful sight seeing a blue WRX cruising down the road with Steely Dan shooting through the iPod AUXin jack and out the open windows. I get some fuuuuuunny looks from people, but hey, I am on cloud 9. Ah, Steely Dan.... my guilty pleasure.

DeepSilentComplete
12/12/2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah, Shows how far from the pack I am, I haven't even heard of the first 2!:eek:

Here's a line from an old song I get a laugh out of:
...."I met a lady. She drank and swore just like a sailor. I asked her where she got her mouth, and if she had a tailor?"... :p

DC TALK ROCKS!

And while I am here:

Tarja Turunen
Nightwish
Within Temptation
Lacuna Coil
Visions of Atlantis
Evanescence
Eagles
and many many more...

Triathlete
12/12/2007, 09:41 PM
Robert Cray would be another blues artist to check out.. he was at the festival that SRV was at the night he passed

Stevie Ray rocks....how 'bout Jeff Buckley?

bulldog
12/13/2007, 06:19 AM
Ive been playing guitar 18 years in every genre and i have to say that SRV is my all around favorite for musicianship, feeling and taste,,amazing guitar player

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
12/13/2007, 06:55 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Nine inch Nails
Orgy
Monster Magnet
Gwar
Dead Kenedys
Digital Underground
and Van Halen (who I am seeing this weekend)

CrnCnn
12/19/2007, 07:04 PM
I just downloaded some motorhead.. Good stuff

CrnCnn
12/19/2007, 07:06 PM
Bart, you are gonna have to burn The protagonist for me. I cant find it, even on iTunes.

WyrreJ
12/19/2007, 11:50 PM
Nosrat Ali Kahn ( when your frame of mind is right:bgwp:)

If you like NFAK, then check out Star Rise (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Nusrat-Fateh-Michael-Brook/dp/B000000HPX) - Asian Dub Foundation's remix on there will rip your ears out. But in a very familiar way. A great album, although all the NFAK purists hate it.

FWIW - I really like the Verve Remixed (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Verve-Remixed-Deluxe-Box/dp/B000BEZPVO) and Unmixed (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=%22verve+unmixed%22&x=0&y=0) collections. Both versions of Simone's Sinnerman are awesome.

Thievery Corporation (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=thievery+corporation&x=0&y=0)
Transglobal Underground (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=transglobal+underground&x=0&y=0)
Can't forget Shpongle (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=shpongle&x=0&y=0) - heavy floyd influence there.
International/hip-hop/dancehall by M.I.A. (http://www.miauk.com/) and the more latin flavored Yerba Buena (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=yerba+buena&x=0&y=0) - "carmen santina angelica woods" and "bilingual girl" - or Manau (http://www.amazon.com/Manau/artist/B000APKLQ8) who are really popular in France doing a kind of french-celtic-hip-hop
Forget "pickin on floyd" a lot of those "pickin on..." albums are weak rip-offs of the masters - Hayseed Dixie (http://www.amazon.com/Hayseed-Dixie/artist/B000APRZZI) they cover Hells Bells with a triangle
Pretty much everything on Dakini Records (http://www.dakinirecords.com/~English/news_eng_07.html) especially anything the founder, Makyo (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Makyo) puts out. Hard to find though, most of it goes out of print pretty quick and you have to get on ebay or p2p.
For ska, check out Pepper (http://www.amazon.com/Kona-Town-Pepper/dp/B00004Z52V) - from my home town. They sound a lot like Sublime.
Sinead O'connor recently discovered the irish influences in Jamaica and released a bunch of covers of old reggae standards (http://www.amazon.com/Throw-Down-Your-Sin%C3%A9ad-OConnor/dp/B000B6D6TU/ref=m_art_li_3) the japanese edition has a second disc that is done in dub. Easily found on p2p nets everywhere.
Last season, the show "Weeds" turned me on to Cambodian surf rock by the US band Dengue Fever (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=music&field-artist=Dengue%20Fever) which then leads to american surf rock, mostly instrumental - Man or Astro-Man? (http://www.amazon.com/Man-Or-Astro-Man/artist/B000ARC33K)
If you like the samba, Bebel Gilberto (http://www.amazon.com/Bebel-Gilberto/artist/B000APKTLU) (daughter of the famous Gil and Astrud Gilberto) is excellent.
Also, the king of world chill mixes - the Buddha Bar (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=buddha+bar&x=0&y=0) series which are ridiculously overpriced and thus begging to be pirated...
Rocking celtic music (versus celtic rock) by Ashely MacIssac (http://www.amazon.com/Ashley-MacIsaac/artist/B000AQ379A) and Shooglenifty (http://www.amazon.com/Ashley-MacIsaac/artist/B000AQ379A) and Gaelic Storm (http://www.amazon.com/Gaelic-Storm/artist/B000APADVQ) and Tears for Beers (http://www.tearsforbeers.de/shop.php/cPath/63) and the not-anywhere-near-as-gay-as-their-name-sounds Peatbog Faeries (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=peatbog+faeries&x=0&y=0).
King of Bass - Jah Wobble (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=jah-wobble&x=0&y=0)

Has anyone else heard Ozzy Osbourne and Dweezil Zappa covering "Stayin' Alive?" pretty good sheeit.
Last, but not least - Fat-boy Slim (http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-Why-Try-Harder/dp/B000FC2GBE) he's got some cool videos too

WyrreJ
12/19/2007, 11:57 PM
Oh, and PLEASE allow me to throw my obscure fav in.... Steely Dan

WTF? How can Steely Dan be considered obscure? Maybe the story about how they got their name is obscure, but the band? Doesn't everybody know Donald Fagen?

WyrreJ
12/20/2007, 12:01 AM
Nowadays I'm really drawn to anything acoustic. I was raised on a lot of folk and singer/songwriter stuff by my dad.

Did you watch Californication? In one scene, they were listening to an acoustic cover of Sabbath's Ironman, it's awesome and wasn't too hard to find on p2p.

Hotsauce
12/20/2007, 02:22 AM
http://members.aol.com/audiostorage/CDRack.jpg

I've totally filled that rack since this pic was taken. Records on opposite wall.

Everything is burned flac to Sonos server www.sonos.com

I also listen to www.pandora.com the coolest internet station ever. You create your own stations, and vote on songs it plays. It then chooses artists based on your votes.

John C.

ojmagg
12/20/2007, 07:42 AM
I tend to like a pretty wide mix...except country...I just can't get into that scene...

Old school rap...new rock...some classical...

Went to a Modest Mouse show last month...they are amazing...I highly recommend checking out "Good News" and "Baron Von BS Rides Again"...

Going to see Drop Kick Murphys in March...

WormGod
12/20/2007, 08:03 AM
WTF? How can Steely Dan be considered obscure? Maybe the story about how they got their name is obscure, but the band? Doesn't everybody know Donald Fagen?

Sadly, no. I am poked fun at by friends when I pull in with "Hey Nineteen" or "Deacon Blues" blasting. This old bar I used to frequent would ALWAYS play Steely on their system and I would get all giddy. People would look at me all funny. No respect for the Steely I tell ya, no respect. Well, the joke is on them because they just dont know good music with a fun, hidden message. I only say obscure because most people (and I mean MOST) dont see crazy colors that Fagen painted on the music industry. Thats ok.... I do.

And ya, the name is.... shall we say, penetrating. :p

Triathlete
12/20/2007, 11:35 AM
Records on opposite wall.

John C.

Theres probably only a hand full of people here that even know what a "record" is let alone actually seen anything vinyl! I am one who still has vinyl (mostly old punk). Anyone own/tryed one of the new record players that connect to your computer and can convert your vinyl to CD's.

JHarris1385
12/20/2007, 12:23 PM
WyrreJ - I have seen Pepper twice
ojmagg - I have seen Dropkick probably 4 times, where are they playing in March?
Tri - I have a few old punk vinlys as well I collected during high school

etlsport
12/20/2007, 12:58 PM
ive got lots and lots of vinyl... some of it still in plastic wrap ;Db; i had a few vinyls recorded to CD by a store like 3-4 years ago and it sounded pretty good

nfpgasmask
12/20/2007, 02:04 PM
Theres probably only a hand full of people here that even know what a "record" is let alone actually seen anything vinyl! I am one who still has vinyl (mostly old punk). Anyone own/tryed one of the new record players that connect to your computer and can convert your vinyl to CD's.

I have about 150 records, most of which I have already "ripped" to MP3. You don't need anything special other than a "line-in" port on your sound card, and a decent program to record with. I use Sound Forge and it works great.
I have a lot of rare, out of print, early electro/industrial stuff that still isn't available on CD. Its nice having it ripped for easy listening. If you do it, just get yourself a good cleaner brush and some record cleaning solution...

Bart

Hotsauce
12/20/2007, 06:26 PM
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1192319194.jpg

Thats my TT.

Records are high def. CD is very lossy, and MP3 even more so. No digital source can produce true analog waveform.

John C.

Triathlete
12/20/2007, 09:31 PM
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1192319194.jpg

Thats my TT.

Records are high def. CD is very lossy, and MP3 even more so. No digital source can produce true analog waveform.

John C.

When I was in Japan I used to go to Diechi's and drool all over their sound floor. I remember $20,000 high-end turntables that were set in 4 inch thick slabs of marble. They were very sweet. Even though I still own vinyl, I no longer have a turntable. A lot of my vinyl has been recorded and then traded off. I probably only hane a few dozen albums left.

ojmagg
12/21/2007, 07:13 AM
JHarris1385 - Dropkick @ the Vogue in Broadripple...feb 10th 8pm...http://thevogue.ws/upcomingshows

WormGod
12/21/2007, 07:52 AM
I'll have to drop by my mom's this Xmas break and snap a shot of my "studio" in her basement. Growing up, I was spinning vinyl constantly. I dont think I really stopped until about 7-8 years ago. Along the way, I ended up building a separate sound room in my parent's basement, aquired somewhere around 3800 albums (many were dupes for scratching), and went through Tech 1200's by the pair almost every 6 months. Spinning was pretty damned expensive but I kept up with it for about 15 years. I played with everything from old school rap (REAL rap), industrial, trip hop (the most fun to spin), techno, and even some jazz/funk-tronica (so I call it). I sold much of the gear over the past 5 years to friends who stuck with it, but my old studio is still quite intact and operational. I think it is anyways, since mom has been using it as storage and whatever else you can imagine over these passed years, heh. Hell, I havent even seen her basement in about 3 years.... it may even be gone now, heh.

But yes, vinyl.... you REALLY cant beat it. I have some near perfect original Sinatra vinyls that sound SO damned good.

VXIRONwoMAN
12/21/2007, 01:54 PM
Everything!
New Wave: A-Ha, Flock of Seagulls, Flying Lizards, Psychadelic Furs, etc.
80's Hair Metal: Van Halen, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, etc.
Punk: SUM 41, Lit, 30 Seconds to Mars, Finch, Our Lady Peace, etc.
Jazz: Billy Holliday, Michael Buble, Sade, etc.
Hip-Hop: Missy Elliott, Usher, Rahzel, etc.
Trance: Paul Van Dyk, Darude, Astral Projection, etc.

There is this Shoegaze band I have been introduced to that I really like called Mazzystar.

This is just a taste...there is so much more I can list. If the music is positive I usually like it!

nfpgasmask
12/21/2007, 01:59 PM
When I was in Japan I used to go to Diechi's and drool all over their sound floor. I remember $20,000 high-end turntables that were set in 4 inch thick slabs of marble. They were very sweet. Even though I still own vinyl, I no longer have a turntable. A lot of my vinyl has been recorded and then traded off. I probably only hane a few dozen albums left.

BTW, What kind of old school punk are you into, Billy?

Bart

nfpgasmask
12/21/2007, 02:00 PM
There is this Shoegaze band I have been introduced to that I really like called Mazzystar.

Mazzystar is awesome....but I had to look up Shoegaze on wikipedia...I've never heard of that b4!

Bart

VXIRONwoMAN
12/21/2007, 02:07 PM
Mazzystar is awesome....but I had to look up Shoegaze on wikipedia...I've never heard of that b4!

Bart

It's fairly self-explanitory...LOL... Not many people have heard of it. I get a few weird looks when I say that. But it is what best describes the band.

Hotsauce
12/21/2007, 09:44 PM
If you like Mazzy Star/Hope Sandoval you'll like Bellafea.

I'm currently on a fad with Over The Rhine.

John C.

Triathlete
12/21/2007, 09:56 PM
Punk: SUM 41, Lit, 30 Seconds to Mars, Finch, Our Lady Peace, etc.

That would be "pop" or "bubblegum" punk!:bgwp:

nfpgasmask...anything on SST records (Black Flag, replacements, Husker Du, Minutemen), The Germs, Dead Kennedy's, Ramones, Violent Femmes (great live!), The Gun Club, S.O.D., Intensified Chaos, Angst, Flipper, Angry Samoins, Sex Pistols, Free Beer, Vicious Circle, Butthole Surfers, Septic Death, Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, ****S.A., DOA, Conflict, Nick Cave and the Badseeds, The Velvet Underground, Los Illegals, Buzzcocks, Exploited, The Stooges (Iggy Pop), Bad Brains, The Meat Puppets, Misfits, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Fear, The Plugz, Surf Punks, Youth Brigade, FU's, Goverment Issue, Hoodoo Gurus, The Blasters, Del Fuegos, Rank and File,...

And the list could go on and on. A lot of the bands I listened to only came out on compialations. "All quiet on the northern front" is a great comp album of Northern Cal. punkUnderground hits 2 is a great comp album and of course the soundtrack to "Repo Man" has some classic stuff.

deermagnet
12/24/2007, 11:42 AM
Is anyone else using Xitel INport Deluxe to convert vinyl to CD's? That product is FANTASTIC!! It's easy to setup and use and the quality is amazing! We all know that nothing beats vinyl, so this is just so I can play my albums in my VX. It's only $80 at Best Buy for the software and hardware and you'll be recording vinyl to your hard drive in under thirty minutes. Actually, it records anything from your stereo. Vinyl, cassettes, reel-to-reel, 8-track, or a radio program.

Another great program I use is Audacity. That one you get for free! It records anything that you hear on your PC speakers to your hard drive in high quality. So you can burn the music or dialog from a movie/concert DVD. I've also recorded songs that can be played for free on the net, but not purchased on the net. If they let me play 'em for free, then they should know it could be saved. I always buy songs if possible.

Vinyl rules!!!

Mark Griffin

WormGod
01/02/2008, 08:25 AM
That would be "pop" or "bubblegum" punk!:bgwp:

nfpgasmask...anything on SST records (Black Flag, replacements, Husker Du, Minutemen), The Germs, Dead Kennedy's, Ramones, Violent Femmes (great live!), The Gun Club, S.O.D., Intensified Chaos, Angst, Flipper, Angry Samoins, Sex Pistols, Free Beer, Vicious Circle, Butthole Surfers, Septic Death, Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, ****S.A., DOA, Conflict, Nick Cave and the Badseeds, The Velvet Underground, Los Illegals, Buzzcocks, Exploited, The Stooges (Iggy Pop), Bad Brains, The Meat Puppets, Misfits, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Fear, The Plugz, Surf Punks, Youth Brigade, FU's, Goverment Issue, Hoodoo Gurus, The Blasters, Del Fuegos, Rank and File,...

And the list could go on and on. A lot of the bands I listened to only came out on compialations. "All quiet on the northern front" is a great comp album of Northern Cal. punkUnderground hits 2 is a great comp album and of course the soundtrack to "Repo Man" has some classic stuff.

Amen brother!!!! I want to curb people when they consider Green Day to be the punk revival (no offence CeCe.... we are old men, heh). The day 311 can hold a stick to Rollins (BF) and redo TV Party and not make me cringe and pull out my ear drums, I will bow to bubblegum punk, heh.

Modern punk, however, has had some bands that tasted the waters and did a decent job. Most of the better ones have female lead vocals even.

Walked into Starbucks last night and they were playing The Specials on their system. I totally forget the name of the tune since its been forever since I have heard it, but man, what memories that brought back. I pictured myself doing a drop-in on the halfpipe with my old Hosoi board, hahahaha..... *sigh*

JHarris1385
01/02/2008, 10:38 AM
Wow 311 (In my top 5) rocks and should not be considred punk one bit.....

Green Day brought attention to the pop-punk feild with Dookie - no doubt about that...

geshaw30
01/04/2008, 11:38 AM
If I'm in the mood for:

Recent Rock- Nickelback, Goo Goo Dolls, Coldplay
New Age- Gandalf
Piano- Bruce Hornsby
Guitar- James Taylor, Eric Johnson
Lil' Known- Tommy Henriksen, Matt Nathanson, Martin Page, Sweet James
Country- Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney

But to quote Don McLean in American Pie "the day the music died" is, IMHO, anything written after 1990. I simply live with everything thereafter...

bulldog
01/10/2008, 01:33 PM
Not sure if anyone cares or knows about these products, but it doesnt matter what you listen to if you want your music to sound amazing (im talking hearing things on a cd that you never heard before even if you listened to it a hundred thousand times) get CD Stoplight and one of those cd polishers,,my favorite is at mapleshaderecords.com,, the difference is amazing at the very least