PDA

View Full Version : TOD indicator goes Haywire when it rains

Solitude
12/06/2007, 08:16 AM
Hi... Has anyone else noticed when it rains or playin in water that the TOD indicator goes full on.. off.. 2/3s front.. and up and down. we had a hella storm here last week and thats what mine did.. 01' 36000 miles..

should I get this looked at or is there a sensor I can seal that might be open-aired right now..

Thanks
Jeff

Y33TREKker
12/06/2007, 09:14 AM
It's been suggested that one of the connectors on the transmission isn't as watertight as it could be, and that some of the terminals will sometimes get wet causing shorts (crossed circuits) to occur. This seems likely because in most instances, after the water has dissipated, operation of the TOD goes back to normal. I've also heard it said that another possible cause is a wiring harness that is routed too close to the exhaust sometimes gets it's insulation melted from the heat, which in turn allows the same possible problem, shorts and crossed circuits.

While a partially melted harness might be easy to spot (and re-insulate), there's no way to tell exactly which connector might be allowing water past it's seals, so about all a person can do is disconnect all visible connectors in the area, and do what they can to make them more waterproof. Whether this is done using tape, shrink tubing, dielectric grease, etc. is personal choice.

Chopper
12/06/2007, 03:28 PM
It's been 7 years. Regreasing those connections is not a bad idea....particularly in a hot climate, the dielectric grease is probably long gone.