PDA

View Full Version : Metal Floormats

grober02
06/09/2003, 10:31 AM
I have been looking around for a pair of custom fit diamond tread polished aluminum floormats for the VX, but so far, I couldn't find anyone who made such an item. www.legend5.com has a list of metal floormats for almost any vehicle, except of course the VX. Does anyone know where I can find a set of metal floormats for the VX, or a vehicle on the above website that may closely match the VX?

Bantan
06/09/2003, 11:10 AM
I spoke to Tom at Legend5, he said that he would add this to his Development list. We can get a discount, but he has to first find the vehicle. They are located (in 914 East Osbourn Rd Unit 218)
Phoenix, AZ 85014. The regular price for a set (2 front & rear mats) is $179, but for Our club/cult $159 including shipping. Maybe someone in the area can volunteer to get fitted.

I would be in for 1 set:clap:

IsuZOOM
06/09/2003, 11:38 AM
It seems to me that these would be very slippery with wet shoes :)

TDAWG
06/09/2003, 12:10 PM
I think that might be a little 2 high a price. There is a shop near here that I will contact to see how much it would cost to have something like this made. I have 1 question: How high would everyone want them to be? Just the same size as the regular floor mats or all the up under the dash? Let me know. I'll ask to see if there might be some kind of clear coating that could be put on that won't make them slippery and still make them shiney.

driver3
06/09/2003, 12:49 PM
If I was to be in, they'd have to be the kind that hold slush and mud.. so deeper ones... not just a flat plate on the floor, I need containment....

AlaskaVX
06/09/2003, 12:51 PM
I'm with Driver3!

TDAWG
06/09/2003, 03:03 PM
I talked to the shop and he asked me to swing by friday to see what we could come up with. Any ideas everyone could come up with and I'll give them to him and see what we could get.

paultvx
06/09/2003, 03:35 PM
Regardless of what the design is, it has to put function over appearance... especially at that price. Otherwise, it'd just be a peice of expensive junk.

grober02
06/09/2003, 05:02 PM
I am open to ideas. I just thought it would be another nice touch to the VX interior. I was thinking about 3/16in metal maybe with a small lip that goes up to the scuff plate. Kind of the same shape as the stock mats only extending under the pedals up to the dash. I think the passengers side would look good if it went all the way up to the dash too. Like I said before, I will go with whatever we agree on. Please keep posting with any new info as I will be ready to get a set too.

VX-KING
06/11/2003, 07:48 AM
I'll buy a set but how much and do they have them in stock cuz it would look extreme.
then the only thing i need after that is a skid plate by ron and a supercharger and a moon craft body kit and then you guys will see it when its done
Look much much much different then all of yours vx's and i know that bantan saw it before but it different now and if any body that wants to buy it when it is completed email me for a price

;eekb; ;eekg; ;eeko; ;eekp; ;eekr; ;eeky;

Dallas4u
06/11/2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by VX-KING
I'll buy a set but how much and do they have them in stock cuz it would look extreme.
then the only thing i need after that is a skid plate by ron and a supercharger and a moon craft body kit and then you guys will see it when its done
Look much much much different then all of yours vx's and i know that bantan saw it before but it different now and if any body that wants to buy it when it is completed email me for a price

;eekb; ;eekg; ;eeko; ;eekp; ;eekr; ;eeky;

I'm not sure if you're trying to be facetious, but saying you want to buy all of those mods to be different, then sell it, is a little strange. Plus, aren't you the person who said you had a Boss 429 in one thread, but is selling a 302 in another? AND... you stated you already had 310 hp in your VX and run 207 mph in the 1/2 mile?

Navigator
06/11/2003, 09:06 AM
How does a coat of Line-X to keep the metal mats scratch resistant sound?

driver3
06/11/2003, 10:33 AM
I like the liner idea, I was just sitting here thinking that I would paint it black, but liner is better, no slippage, plus it would fill in the cracks where the folds are if it's not welded.

paultvx
06/11/2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Navigator
How does a coat of Line-X to keep the metal mats scratch resistant sound?

Then what's the point in having metal mats? why not just go with a set of McNeil's Weathertech thick rubber mats? They have deep groves to hold water, slush, mud, and whatever else you track into your car.

Navigator
06/11/2003, 07:20 PM
Metal is tough as nails, and with Line-X, the mats won't get slippery when wet and scratched up by shoes.

A matte red Line-X finish on mine to match my seats, you can have yours done in chrome if you like, heck it's all theory at this point :D

paultvx
06/11/2003, 11:40 PM
I don't know. I just can't see the need for a metal floor mat.

I mean why would you need a floor mat that strong? If you've got rust holes the size of basketballs in your floor then... yeah.

McNeil's mats are made of thick rubber. Unless you transport and spill acid in your VX often, those mats are probably going to last to the day you um... retire and then some.

IsuZOOM
06/12/2003, 08:10 AM
Paul,

I'm sure most of the appeal is the aethetics.. Diamond plate looks pretty hardcore :)

paultvx
06/12/2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by IsuZOOM
Paul,

I'm sure most of the appeal is the aethetics.. Diamond plate looks pretty hardcore :)

Point was, metal covered with line-x would lose that appeal.

johnnyapollo
06/12/2003, 01:21 PM
Last time I saw BigMike's ride, he had small diamond metal plates bolted to his floor mats. He told me he got them at PepBoys and they were about $20. You might want to experiment with those before committing the $$ to some custom ones.

-- John

VX-KING
06/13/2003, 06:11 AM
Dallas4u
hey yeah why

r u looking to buy a muscle car for sale cuz my i brought two more muscle cars one is a 1965 ford mustang fastback k-code HiPo and a 1968 ford mustang convertible if you will like pic of the 4 muscle cars that i have email me or reply though vehicross.info

Alex
peace:D ;Do; ;Dp; ;Dr; ;Dy; ;Db;

AlaskaVX
06/13/2003, 10:35 AM
ALRIGHT VX-KING POST SOME DAMN PICS OR GET THE **** OUT!!!!!!!!!

paultvx
06/13/2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
ALRIGHT VX-KING POST SOME DAMN PICS OR GET THE **** OUT!!!!!!!!!

Best policy towards bozos... ignore them and deny them the attention they seek.

VXD959
06/13/2003, 02:01 PM
What about metal seat covers?;Dy;

Repeating my message on other threads:

Just ignore VXKing. If he cannot prove his allegations, lets ignore his posts (or the moderators can block him from this site). Do not reply to his messages, do not care about his messages. It's that simple.

hitnrun74
06/13/2003, 04:39 PM
I'd be interested if we can get some rear mats that match. Just flat ones I can velcro to the carpet would be cool. Or a nice contoured one-piece unit for the rear floorboards. That'd be pretty sharp. Also, maybe a nice flat spot on a corner or something for engraving... I know I'd love to have my name engraved in the drivers side floorboard. Think we could get the vehicross.info logo engraved on them? Scott...hint hint...:).

Moncha
06/14/2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by hitnrun74
I know I'd love to have my name engraved in the drivers side floorboard. Think we could get the vehicross.info logo engraved on them? Scott...hint hint...:).

I could provide the art work if you choose this route... Thanks for the consideration ;Dp;

grober02
06/14/2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by TDAWG
I talked to the shop and he asked me to swing by friday to see what we could come up with.

TDAWG-- Did you meet with the shop yet and discuss some options?

TDAWG
06/15/2003, 12:17 PM
hey everyone I met with Joe and he said not a problem I told him about some of the ideas so far and he said "I don't see why not."
I asked about leaving a flating out a spot for engraving he said yeah. I was also thinking about the back floor he told me to drop by tomorrow or tuesday to see what we could come up with. Those are the best 2 days for him cuz it's always slow on those days. So cross your fingers and toes. As for price he said he'll see what he could do. Depending on how much time it take to do them all he said he'll drop his normal start fee and might even drop his his hourly rate and give us a good price for the diamond plate per set. As for coating it with something scratch resistent. he said maybe adding an acrylic coating would do the trick. I'll post something as soon as he gives me something.

VX-KING
06/16/2003, 07:09 AM
they will look hot on my finish vx

how can i get them
how much price doesn't matter

WyrreJ
06/16/2003, 10:20 AM

Because you aren't going to buy them anyway! Sorry, couldn't resist. You just cracked me up with that...

Spike
06/16/2003, 10:22 AM
That would chew up my boot heels something fierce...

I'll pass...

VX-KING
06/16/2003, 01:38 PM
WyrreJ
VXer

2001, Black, VX, 0781
Nashua, New Hampshire
Joined Feb 2003
98 Posts Post# 29

Because you aren't going to buy them anyway! Sorry, couldn't resist. You just cracked me up with that...

why r u saying that is it cuz you dont have the money or do you need me to buy it for you

AlaskaVX
06/16/2003, 01:45 PM
VX-King,
While your offering, I'll take a set! :) (please, lets not murder this thread too)

paultvx
06/16/2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ

LOL. So true.

grober02
07/16/2003, 06:28 PM
TDAWG--

Did you hear back from the shop lately about the metal mats?

Bantan
08/01/2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Bantan
I spoke to Tom at Legend5, he said that he would add this to his Development list. We can get a discount, but he has to first find the vehicle. They are located (in 914 East Osbourn Rd Unit 218)
Phoenix, AZ 85014. The regular price for a set (2 front & rear mats) is $179, but for Our club/cult $159 including shipping. Maybe someone in the area can volunteer to get fitted.

Gang,
I just spoke to Tom at Legend5 again. He asked if there was someone with a VX that lives in the Phoenix, AZ area that will be willing to get test fitted for the Metal Floor mats. Tom sounds like a cool guy and would come to your location, it would only take a few minutes. He was also looking into getting them Anodized for a better stronger finish.
If anyone can spare a few minutes please let me know or contact him directly. Tom's # is 623-393-9172

grober02
08/20/2003, 08:45 AM
I stopped in at a local metal fab shop, and he wasn't able to make the mats because of the 'hump' on the passengers' side floor. I guess Legend5 already has the necessary tools. It's a shame to see this mod fade away...

TDAWG
08/20/2003, 09:40 AM
Sorry guys,
I haven't posted in awhile about the floor mats. Since I started working at PepBoys, I haven't gotten alot of things done that I would have liked to I give my boy a call and see what's up. since his shop is not far from work I'll see if he could do some fab work and see what happens. I'll post up once I get some answers.

Bantan
08/20/2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks Tdawg, you cheered me up:dance:

Bantan
09/22/2003, 07:15 AM
Well guys once again my impatience got the better of me.
I found a diamond plate imitation PVC sheet and cut it to fit.
I like them, but still hoping for someone to produce the real thing.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/225metal_mats_pass-med.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/225metal_mats_driver-med.jpg
What do y'all think?

TDAWG
09/25/2003, 05:30 PM
Sorry to everyone for not getting back to you all. I've gotten busy with regular work as well as Designs for some peeps. I got this weekend off so after the meet Saturday I'll give him a call and see if we could hook Sunday go down to the shop and see what we can come up with.

Spike
09/25/2003, 09:09 PM
What IS that module / hump under the passenger side floor? I did not peel the carpet back far enough because I didn't want to have to fight to put it back.

SpaceTruck'n
09/26/2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
Then what's the point in having metal mats? why not just go with a set of McNeil's Weathertech thick rubber mats? They have deep groves to hold water, slush, mud, and whatever else you track into your car.

A cool thing to do when its all wet muddy or snowy is:
Take out your floor mats, flip them over and put them on the opposite sides of the car
The oposite side is rubber and the knobbys that keep them from sliding around will hold a LOT of mud. & its easy to hose off.

Just a suggestion in the interm if your planning to get different mats.

;)

dohvb1
05/25/2004, 04:19 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm really interested in getting some diamond plate floor mats. I remember the first time I saw the diamond plate floor mats. It was at HIN and I saw a killer WRX with it. I think it's a great mod cuz not only does it look good but it's much easier to get sand from the beach off of it.

So if anyone has any follow up from looking into getting some fabricated or if there are some existing ones that would fit please leave the info.

Dallas4u
05/25/2004, 05:21 PM
A quick note... I think it has been mentioned before... metal isn't so good when your shoes are wet and slippery or muddy and, uh, slippery.

Anyway, just a note. I know many people don't care about use-ability and go straight to appearance. Metal may look kinda cool, but may be kinda dangerous, too.

Just something to think about. :cool:

dohvb1
05/25/2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the input Dallas. I figure come winter time I will either remove the diamond plate or put my all weather mats over them. So the only concern would be extreme rainy days or weeks like we in the midwest are currently enduring. I plan on it being more of a summertime mod.

tomcat837
05/25/2004, 05:46 PM
That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard about. Metal mats??? I don't even want to think what might happen in an accident.

Kahuna
05/25/2004, 08:09 PM
Pep Boys has Metal looking floormats. They come in Red or Blue ans I think Silver. They actually look like metal. But, they are not for me...maybe somebody else

rainee25
05/25/2004, 10:17 PM
I've had the diamond plate floor mats in two different cars. They looked sweet, but rain, slush, ect are bad, your feet slip off the gas and brake as there is nowhere to dry your feet off. I do like the look though!

dohvb1
05/25/2004, 10:26 PM
I'll just treat my VX like the rare supercar it is and only drive it on nice sunny days. Here in Michigan that means maybe 3 weeks out of the year.

I found this but of course no VX listing.
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm?brand=&brandid=0&categoryid=1&color=&filterword=&iconview=0&orderby=0&partfamilyid=1289&subcategoryid=186

t2p
05/26/2004, 10:07 AM
metal floor mats .......
should always be accompanied by metal plates in the skull .....
or something like that ...........
whatz next ? ........... carbon fiber floor mats ? ..........

tomcat837
05/26/2004, 10:27 AM
HEY now, there's an idea. It doesn't sound half bad, to match my C/F pedals...

Navigator
05/26/2004, 10:28 AM
...Ooooo Metal floor mats... Better yet... CF floor mats!!! :rotate: Somebody stop me !!! :naughty:

t2p
05/26/2004, 10:30 AM
.... lets go first class ..........
floor mats made of kevlar/nomex/etc mix ............ or something like that ......... with 'VehiCROSS' in carbon fiber letters ..........

dohvb1
05/26/2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by t2p
metal floor mats .......
should always be accompanied by metal plates in the skull .....
or something like that ...........
whatz next ? ........... carbon fiber floor mats ? ..........

Thanks for the help and advice.

Not all mods and accesories are for everyone. If you don't like something that's great we all have our own tastes. But I don't see any reason to be a dick about it.

tomcat837
05/26/2004, 02:05 PM
WOW! Lets try to keep this civilized. Nothing wrong with having a little fun... personally, I can't speak for anyone else on this board, but I was more concern about your safety, but if this MOD IS for YOU, then go ahead, you don't have to listen to anyone at all, just go with your instincts...

Life is too short to live angry!

t2p
05/26/2004, 03:49 PM
sorry ........ not trying to be offensive ....
just trying to keep it light ....... have some fun ..........
blame it on the comment:
'Here in Michigan that means maybe 3 weeks out of the year' ....
reminds me of Western PA weather .......
and speaking of metal ...... or diamond plate ........ I am actually familiar with diamond plate *floors* ..... not mats, but the actual floors .... years ago, we had a few jeeps and a Scout that had diamond plate floor plates installed .............
funny how things have changed - I don't think any of those Jeeps or the Scout ever had a floor mat .... rubber or carpet ...... did they even use carpet floor mats in the 60's ? ..........

MZ-N10
05/26/2004, 08:33 PM
floor mats? who needs floor mats?

mats are just extra weight....
________
Glass pipe (http://glasspipes.net/)