PDA

View Full Version : clicking sound

WiSDoM
12/04/2007, 10:49 AM
Hello guys,
A few weeks ago i had my driverside half shaft replaced. the shop that did the work messed up my abs sensor and a HD tie rod end during the the alignment. I have locking hubs and the hubs have been unlocked until today due to the snow. I notice that when i hit a ice or snow patch I can hear a loud clicking sound. it doesnt happen when on clean tar. It happens when driving straight and when turning but only when a snow or ice. Not sure if it is the passenger side cv or what. there was no clicking before i had the half sahft replaced. any ideas????

thanks

Y33TREKker
12/04/2007, 11:34 AM
If there was no noise before the recent work was done, my first idea would be to take it back to that shop and let them figure out what they forgot/did wrong/messed up/etc, that is, if you still want them touching your rig after the alignment problems you experienced.

MrCrowley
12/04/2007, 11:35 AM
When this clicking sound occurs, what is your TOD indicator doing? If it is engaging/disengaging rapidly up and down you can hear a "banging" noise sometimes, but if it is truly a "clicking", I would suspect some sort of CV issue. The right or left is for you to figure out.:p

etlsport
12/04/2007, 11:48 AM
do you have skid plates? i had clicking during turns and occasionally over bumps when a torsion bar was touching my skid plate... dont know if this applies here but its one more thing to check for easily

WiSDoM
12/04/2007, 04:26 PM
no skidplates yet. i will call the shop tomorrow but i know they will not be happy because that had to redo a bunch of stuff that they f***edup already. thanks

Y33TREKker
12/04/2007, 05:22 PM
no skidplates yet. i will call the shop tomorrow but i know they will not be happy because that had to redo a bunch of stuff that they f***edup already. thanks

I wonder what any of them would expect if the same thing had happened to one of their vehicles at another shop?

WiSDoM
12/07/2007, 04:30 PM
I got my Vx back today, they could onjly determine the noise was coming from the diff. they told me to take it to the dealership and if it was their install that f***ed it up then they would reimburse me for the work. when they gave me the old half shaft back from the original install it was in pieces. is that normal for the install to have to strip all the guts from the inner cv on the halfshaft? any ideas what could have happened?

Y33TREKker
12/08/2007, 09:24 AM
....when they gave me the old half shaft back from the original install it was in pieces. is that normal for the install to have to strip all the guts from the inner cv on the halfshaft? any ideas what could have happened?

What kind of replacement parts were listed on the work order/receipt? It's possible they replaced items such as the boot, seals, ball guide, ball bearings, guide retainer, etc when installing a new axle assembly. That would seem normal. That still wouldn't explain why you have a noise eminating from an area where there wasn't one before though.

If they're offering to foot the bill for a dealership to check things out and possibly make any repairs necessary, it'd sure at least be worth another opinion, although personally, I might be inclined to get that offer in writing first. ;)

WiSDoM
12/08/2007, 03:16 PM
yeah they are only offering to pay the dealership if it is due to their install.

WiSDoM
12/10/2007, 04:55 PM
dealership says it is a worn cv joint. so now what are my options have the cv rebuilt?try to find another junk yard half shaft? i have tried ordering new halfshafts from many places but no luck with them in stock. any ideas?

WiSDoM
12/15/2007, 06:18 PM
guys here is the deal. i looked at the half shaft that the garagerreturned to me the day i picked it up and it has been taken all a part. It looks to me like the garage didn't know what they were doing and may have stripped the replacement half shaft for part to rebuild the existing half shaft instead of replace it. I called the dealership and they told me a few weeks ago that a the mechanic called and asked about how to remove the driverside half shaft.
It took them two days to do the work and in those two days they managed to break my abs sensor, abs ring, and one of my HD tie-rod ends from indy. I looked it the maual but it just tell about removing the passenger side axle.

so what i need to know is what is involved in the removal so i can question the mechanic with a good idea on process he should have taken?

any help would be great, i know some of you guys have replaced your own.

Ldub
12/15/2007, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear this has taken a rather nasty turn...yet another reason I'll never let another boy with a wrench near my Suzy...:_wrench:

What I'd like to know, is how in the HELL do you fubar one of Indy4X's H-D tie rod ends??? You didn't see large bunches of banannas hanging from the break room ceiling did you?

WiSDoM
12/15/2007, 06:34 PM
I know i was like what the ****??? then i called indy and they wouldn't tell me the part# so i could cross reference it at napa. but napa was able to match it up okay.

Ldub
12/15/2007, 06:37 PM
I know i was like what the ****??? then i called indy and they wouldn't tell me the part# so i could cross reference it at napa. but napa was able to match it up okay.

So....ya wanna clue us in on the NAPA cross reference ???:naughty:

WiSDoM
12/15/2007, 06:42 PM
i wll post it tomorrow the part box is in my garage.

Y33TREKker
12/15/2007, 10:53 PM
WiSDoM -- yeah they are only offering to pay the dealership if it is due to their install.

It sounds to me like the question has been answered as to whether it was the work the shop did that caused the problem, so why not just get the dealership to document (and notarized if necessary) what happened (including the phone call), and go from there. Seems fairly open and shut to me.