PDA

View Full Version : Legality of clear side lenses

navistar
11/30/2007, 07:02 AM
What are the street-use issues of clear front side marker lenses? According to the ClearCorners website: "Front side-markers must reflect amber. These lights are not permitted for street-use."

What about the rear side marker lenses, can they legally be clear or do they have to reflect red?

MrCrowley
11/30/2007, 07:43 AM
Personally, I would never draw unnecessary attention with any white light. If you have a clear lens, and an amber or red bulb inside, you meet all legal requirements anyways, and still have a 90% "clear" look. I have seen folks ride around with clear/clear. Every time I see em I always think- what a great excuse for a "bad cop day." :p If you read the laws, they specify colors for different vehicle functions. What good is a vehicle flashing white lights everywhere? Much less, is that old lady turning next to you going to be confused? BAM! Plus, if an accident or something does occur, its just an easy excuse to place the blame against you.

Moncha
11/30/2007, 07:58 AM
According to Colorado law, the markers MUST be of the color intended. Forward of the vehicle's centerline (Looking at the side, showing to the side) must show amber, aft of the centerline must be red. You could use clear lenses as long as the underlying bulb is of the appropriate color. There is no law stating the actual lens color, just that the light emitting from said lamp is the correct color. I'm sure most other states are in the same mind.

I loved to use the white (clear) colored bulb under a clear turn signal lens for probable cause for a traffic stop.. ;)

One thing that did get grandfathered in was the dual faced fender lights you see on large trucks. They have to have the amber side faceing forward and the red facing aft.

Does that help?

navistar
11/30/2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah...I feel better...since I want to go clear all around.

nfpgasmask
11/30/2007, 08:51 AM
So I suppose mine being completely blacked out with bulbs removed might eventually get me in trouble! ;)

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/sides.jpg

But then again, I have been pulled over 3 times with this setup and the cops said nothing.....speeding was more of a problem I guess.

:) Bart

Moncha
11/30/2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah, it's so much fun to add on extra charges :D
Did they pull you over during the day where they might not notice the lights so much?

nfpgasmask
11/30/2007, 09:29 AM
2 times during the day, and the 3rd time at night. I think because it is a VX, they kinda don't really know what to look for. Plus, having EVERYTHING black, it kinda blends in and maybe they don't notice....

Either way, once I get clearz, I will put some amber bulbs in there just to stay on the safe side. I do however like the blacked out side markers....nice and stealthy. :)

Bart

Yeah, it's so much fun to add on extra charges :D
Did they pull you over during the day where they might not notice the lights so much?

psychos2
11/30/2007, 03:08 PM
I am 99.9% positive in NY they must be D.O.T. approved. You may want to check state laws before you purchase. shawn

CoastieCosta567
12/01/2007, 09:47 AM
I personally don't care, just cuz oh well. your chances of getting pull over for something as small as this, are slim to none. unless you get pulled over for somethine else more like speeding or running a light, something really stuped, but other then that, cops don't really pay to much attention, unles u have blue lights flashing or something really really street illigal. For as little as i have been working in the Coast Guard, i have come to find out, that every, but i mean everything you do has to be recorded, there is paper work invlved in everything, same with cops, the last thing you really want is have a cheese load of paper work later that night, just for lights that don't really have that much of importance as long as you can see them. Now for the rear, thats a diffrent story. My personal opinionthough, thats all. But i see what you guys are saying, better being safe then sorry. But i like taking risk and chances, thats why i don't care. but the day i get pulled over for just that, i'll tell you guys and i'll swallow my words, lol.