PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai

JHarris1385
11/29/2007, 09:31 AM
I will not go into detail since I do not know how many are intrested in this hobby of sort. But does anyone here have one or many or have ever been interested in it?

Ldub
11/29/2007, 09:55 AM
Yes

biju
11/29/2007, 09:59 AM
Me too!

-beej.

JHarris1385
11/29/2007, 10:21 AM
Awesome. I figured at least one memeber would have tried it before. Currently I am setting up a 100% indoor arrangement. I never really liked having them outdoors much, I want to view them from my home instead of out a window. Any of you have any exp. growing them indoors? During the summer months I will probably sit them outside on good days but for now I am focusing on complete indoor. So this limits me quite a bit, mainly cuts out all conifers. I am a memeber at bonsaitalk.com - same name as on here.

JHarris1385
11/30/2007, 12:19 PM
Anyone else?????

CrnCnn
11/30/2007, 12:45 PM
It's something I have been interested in, but I am bad about follow through.

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/02/2007, 10:36 AM

That about sums it up for me when it comes to Bonsai & RC Helicopters!

I've read some books & stuff on both but never jumped in & got both feet wet.

Ldub
12/02/2007, 01:19 PM

That's the bad thing about this hobby, they require a lot of "follow through"...if you get into the really high end species, (of course, the ones that look the oldest/gnarliest) they require almost daily care.
That's why I stay with tropical species that thrive on abuse.
Ginko, Ficus, some dwarf Bamboo, Molobar Chestnut(money tree), Hawaiian umbrella tree, pony tail palm, Madagascar palm & a few cacti are all in the Ldub houseplant abuse program.

Scott Harness
12/02/2007, 05:25 PM
Plants are cool! Cacti look great and are easy. I like Depak Chopra's talk about plant consciousness. Plants constantly move and follow the sun.Lots of plants defend themselves. Venus Flytrap is a meateater. Consciouness! What a concept!

IndianaVX
12/03/2007, 09:58 AM
i have had up to about 25 at one time. i have trained bonsai for over 15 yrs. had something come thru a couple of summers ago and took out 10 of em. i am now down to 8, and have about 8 more that are not worthy of potting up YET....... i mostly have native trees from around here. they just went thru their fall colors, and i have several azaleas ready to bloom.
its a very satisfying hobby.
as far as indoor species, and beginner, stick with the ficus, you can practically kill the things, and bring them back to life, lol they can take alot of abuse or neglect. i sometimes do this on pourpose just to shrink leaf size.....but i know when to stop the neglect too......

JHarris1385
12/03/2007, 10:45 AM
David - Ever been to NineDragon in Milltown - i think that is closer to you than me?

I have narrowed my indoor species to the banyan tree, fukien-tea, chinese elm and a couple others I can not remember off of the top of my head. I plan to buy them online since I have not found any in stores near here in the under a foot size and attempt to grow from seed.

So once again we have another similar interest after the VX, beardies..now bonzai......

JHarris1385
12/03/2007, 10:46 AM
Oh and buy the way I am a big fan of the pine - conifer types but I dont plan to attempt them again just yet.