PDA

View Full Version : HDTV DVD Player

Mark B
11/27/2007, 04:07 PM
I purchased a new 46 inch Sony HDTV over the weekend. With all the sales, I got a good deal at Best Buy.
My questions in on DVD player upconverting. I have a lot of old dvd's and do now want to spend the dollars for a HD/Blue Ray DVD player at this time.
I hear that the DVD upconvert can play regular dvd's in 1080 format with very good clearity. Anyone have a upconverted DVD player and what do you think?
Should I purchase DVD upconverted now or wait and buy DVD HD player later?
What about the DVD recorder?

WiSDoM
11/27/2007, 05:59 PM
That a good question. I was reading a few months ago about the best blu-ray player and most forum and review board said your best bet was to go with a Playstation 3. As I understand it PS3 can play all formats and play blu-ray better than the stand alnone blu-ray players. i have yet to buy one, but maybe for christmas..

nfpgasmask
11/27/2007, 07:56 PM
Yup, that is my plan. I will buy a PS3 for Blue Ray, and then a HD player for HD DVDs, and then a totally hacked all region player for everything else.

Bart

That a good question. I was reading a few months ago about the best blu-ray player and most forum and review board said your best bet was to go with a Playstation 3. As I understand it PS3 can play all formats and play blu-ray better than the stand alnone blu-ray players. i have yet to buy one, but maybe for christmas..

LittleBeast
11/27/2007, 08:42 PM
Yupe bought a PS3 for the new 42" plasma I got last year on Black friday for $800. The PS3 is buy far one of my best investments yet. HD picture is amazing!!!!! HDMI connection is a must!!!!! HDMI cables can be purchased on eBay for $20 better than the $80 Best Buy will want you to fork over. But yeah the PS3 is the best deal. Wireless internet connection to download free HD movie previews on PSnetwork for absolutely no charge, and download game demos for absolutely no charge (it is better than renting). The blu ray DVDs are amazing you have to see them to appreciate how well the PS3 plays them. And also my normal DVDs have never looked as good as played on the PS3 and 42" plasma. My experience has left a great taste in my mouth for the reliable PS3 as a gaming platform and great multimedia player and wireless internet browser. Hope that helps a little.

WormGod
11/28/2007, 08:00 AM
I hate this whole HD race. HD DVD and BluRay is like VHS and betamax all over again. Screw manufacturers for this whole competition. Its almost like it comes down to Microsoft vs Sony. Both have a gaming platform that offers one or the other and you KNOW they are both pumping money into rights over distribution for home viewing. They can both catch a teabag from yours truly. The PS3 is a highly overpriced gaming system with a poor gaming support future that plays BluRay movies. XBox 360 is a highly used and more affordable system but with no initial HD DVD support unless you buy the player (separately), which then puts it more in the price range of a PS3 anyways. Then, regardless of the way you go, you can split your selection of movies right down the middle because of the HD exclusive movie race.

I landed an HD DVD player for the XBox360 last year for $120, which was unheard of and was and still am very pleased with it. Unfortunately, the selection of movies is rotten. HD has some good ones and BluRay has some good ones, but its one or the other most of the time.

Just something you might want to get used to. In the end, one will win, one will die. Currently, BluRay sales are leading that race worldwide. You can always drop some extra $$ and get the Toshiba BluRay/HD DVD player and get the best of both worlds, heh.

Also, as for upconverting, your digital signal has a lot to do with it. I have messed with some players that claim to upconvert and I swear that claim is a placebo. We toyed around with a couple players some time ago and it turns out that, the only way we could upconvert most regular DVDs on them was to use a VGA connection. Even HDMI wasnt working right on most. I think its a misconception that the manufacturers should explain some more to the average consumer before they take their word for it.

ISCE
11/29/2007, 10:30 AM
HDDVD player for XBox360 was just ordered for an early Christmas present to myself. I just got the 56" Samsung ultra slim DLP, and am VERY happy with it. I did a lot of comparison and watching. I got a lot of great options with TV that you just don't get with many of the others, and saves some cash as well. The TV does the upsizing to 1080p and even on my old DVD player it's pretty amazing. Everything looks MUCH better, the details are easily noticable.

Now just gotta switch from blockbuster to netflix since blockbuster isn't supporting HDDVD, only blueray.