PDA

View Full Version : Where to find replacement CD Player?

mrlegoman
11/24/2007, 08:55 AM
Finally got tired of the CD player not giving me my discs back. So I took it apart....
I seriously doubt it's going back together.....
Did a few searches on ebay and google. Does anyone have suggestion on where to find a replacement cd player? Or is it worth it to just change out the entire radio and build a block-off plate for the cd changer opening?

etlsport
11/24/2007, 09:01 AM
i have a cd changer for sale if you want it... 100 shipped, worked perfectly when i removed it

or you can just get an aftermarket cd player and put any number of things in the additional slot... i put an aftermarket cd/dvd player in the cd changer slot and a screen in the slot where the tape player was... seen aftermarket cd players in the top slot and cubby hole in the cd changer slot.. i thinkk someone has a speaker mounted in one of the slots too

mdwyer
11/24/2007, 04:54 PM
or you can just get an aftermarket cd player and put any number of things in the additional slot... i put an aftermarket cd/dvd player in the cd changer slot and a screen in the slot where the tape player was... seen aftermarket cd players in the top slot and cubby hole in the cd changer slot.. i thinkk someone has a speaker mounted in one of the slots too

I replaced it with a decent Kenwood from Crutchfield. The ability to play a single MP3 CD was more valuable to me than switching around redbook CDs. I've got a gaping hole in the lower console right now, that I intend to have filled with a cubbie as soon as I get a chance to pull all the plastic apart.

I'm still holding onto my original deck. I honestly don't know why. Is there really that high of value in having the original parts in it when you sell it, even if they're not working right?

skyoti
11/24/2007, 07:36 PM
funny, all the problems are the same!
mine died a while back, tried to have it fixed by a professional engineer and he couldnt figure it out! good luck with that. :)

custom
11/25/2007, 05:07 AM
The stock stereo is pretty weak so I would just replace everything. Over the summer I got a killer deal from Best Buy (Alpine deck, $40 gift card, iPod adapter, and free installation) for just about $200. This setup didn't cost me too much but now I have a CD player, higher wattage radio, and a place to connect my iPod without having to use a wireless transmitter. Just a thought.

geshaw30
11/26/2007, 04:41 PM
Trust us---the factory POS is not worth saving nor is searching for a replacement. Go grab a new unit then take a small amount of joy in crushing the original system with the closest thing you have to a Louisville Slugger

Anita
04/15/2008, 10:21 AM
Well after 8 years my stock CD player finally bit the dust. I tried to change up on another CD and I heard this awful "Kak, kak, kak, kak, kak, kak,......". Stuck, stuck and stuck.

Years ago I bought a CD player from a member here and I tried to change it up. Installed, the receiver did not recongnize that it had a cd player. Okay, we took out my receiver and put the receiver that came with the replacement CD player - same thing happened. The replacement receiver did not recognize having the CD unit connected to it. WTH

#1 QUESTION: So what are we doing wrong? # 2 -Are we doing something wrong?

I thought I could go on without the CD player but Im having withdrawals.

Now, I think I would be happy with some I-POD hookup. I dont need anything top end.. I like things simple and I dont like to cut into my truck to fit new goodies.
#3 Any suggestions for what I should do if I cant get the stock player to play?

etlsport
04/15/2008, 10:24 AM
Anita, just get an aftermarket CD player and the cubby hole from a trooper or rodeo;Db; you can put a CD player in the top slot no problem, no modification at all, most new ones starting at like $100 will be IPod capable. If you want, let me know and next time I hit a scrap yard I will find you a rodeo cubby, they already have the mounting brackets built in so there is no fab work

kodiak
04/15/2008, 01:10 PM
The only problem with aftermarket players is they tend to rip themselves out of the dash jump thru your driver’s side window and run away. I’ve had this happen in 2 other tucks, it’s very annoying. The stock head unit actually isn’t that bad. You can buy an adapter unit that plugs right in to the cd changer plug on the back of the radio then get a stand alone DVD player to replace the changer. It looks good and you can put a lot of mp3s on a DVD. :p

nfpgasmask
04/15/2008, 01:30 PM
I would not keep the stock player or replace it with another stock player. Just buy an aftermarket head unit with a CD player and use that. And if you have a MP3 player, get one with an audio in port so you just use MP3s and leave your CDs at home. Honestly, I haven't listened to my CDs in a long, long time...

Bart

creeg
04/15/2008, 01:33 PM
I just got an Ipod adaptor for my stock stereo when the changer died, put in a cubby hole where the changer used to be, and have never looked back.

Got an old Ipod for under $100 and just leave it in the car all the time.

Solitude
04/15/2008, 03:44 PM
I talked to Merlin today and in passing while ordering the trooper cubby.. He suggested calling Fujitsu Ten at 1-800-237-5413... He said they have replacement/exchange players availible for a fee.. since I tore mine apart with tin snips.. I dont think they will want to exchange but someone might use this info.. good luck

Found this today.. for those that are interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Honda-Passport-CD-changer-add-Radio-Cassette-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em124QQcatego ryZ43948QQihZ009QQitemZ190214011385QQrdZ1QQsspagen ameZWD4V

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/15/2008, 06:28 PM
I replaced my stock system with a Pioneer AVIC-N4 and installed a cobra CB where the stock cd player used to be. The radio and CD Player both were working great when I removed them. I was going to hold onto them but, if someone else really wants/needs either or both...make me an offer.

P.S.-- I removed the mounting brackets from the stock CD Player to use on my CB radio in order to mount it into the dash...so the CD Player would need your mounting brackets in order to remount into your dash. (easy job)

Gussie2000
07/18/2008, 08:02 PM
I did replace both the cassette & the CD player.

On the upper slot i place in a kenwood cassette player w/remote & on the lower slot i place an digital EQ full DIN 10 bands,looks very,very cool.
I also runned a full speakers wiring without touching the factory,the harness were left intact by just using a metra adaptor.Two 12" subwoofer (600watts each) & four 300watts three-way speakers each one was the complement along with an 6 CD changer unit,a 3.00 farads cap & two 550 watts four channel amps ALL ARE KENWOOD BRAND0 :thumbup:

Years pass along when last i did this sort of job,usually for friends & folks.

I was kind of lazzy when i started,because it takes a lot of time doing all this,specially the wiring.but i split the job by doing a bit every weekend :p

workmeistr
07/18/2008, 10:50 PM
I just installed a Kenwood KVT-512 7" flip-up DVD with iPod (in the glove compartment) interface tonight.

Install was straight forward using the Metra 70-7712 adapter. I had bought a lesser adapter off eBay that was supposed to work on a VCROSS, but a few contact pins were off. I was worried the whole time I was wiring, even after getting the Metra harness, as the stock vehicle harness does not have the universal wire colors for speakers +, -, etc., but this harness nicely fit the bill.

I am impressed with how a little extra amperage makes the stock speakers sound so much better.:)

No cutting of dash hole; used the mounts from the factory head unit; can't use the Kenwood beauty ring as our radio sit behind the dash hole, but I will cut a rubber membrane to fit over the outside of the radio before I put the dash on next time to mask the 2-3mm void all around.

The XM interface is due in next week, so it will all come out again for that, and I'll save my pennies for the navigation unit in a few months. After that, 6 1/2" rear speakers as they sound the most anemic in my VX.

So-CalVX
07/18/2008, 11:42 PM
my changer died months ago so I think this might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyways... (it being more than one ofcourse) :)
Q1... Is it hard to get your CDs into the cd player down by the shifter?
Q2... Could I put the cubby in the tape decks place instead of the changers (like where u put ur screen) until I figure out what I wanna do if its easy to put CDs in the player by the shifter?
Q3... (Off the original topic) is it true I don't need to go high end on my bass?my friend told me I only need high end stuff for the highs and mids.
Q4... (Still off topic) are our stock speakers good for an upgraded head unit if I'm not applying an amp to them?

Thanx in advance. I'm sure I'll be getting my questions answered. :)

Gussie2000
07/19/2008, 08:02 AM
my changer died months ago so I think this might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyways... (it being more than one ofcourse) :)
Q1... Is it hard to get your CDs into the cd player down by the shifter?
Q2... Could I put the cubby in the tape decks place instead of the changers (like where u put ur screen) until I figure out what I wanna do if its easy to put CDs in the player by the shifter?
Q3... (Off the original topic) is it true I don't need to go high end on my bass?my friend told me I only need high end stuff for the highs and mids.
Q4... (Still off topic) are our stock speakers good for an upgraded head unit if I'm not applying an amp to them?

Thanx in advance. I'm sure I'll be getting my questions answered. :)

Of course all querstion will be answered.

1: Is not really hard to have the cd's into the changer,jusy make sure whenever you are about to load your changer the cd's are straigh level,otherwise an accident could happen.

2:About the cubby i believe you can do that,but you got to keep in mind the changer wouldn't work without the cassette player.
3: all depends on your opinion about music,if you like the boom,boom window blasting you should go for it,of course the aereodinamic interior design of the VX makes the sound very acoustic,if you aren't into the boom,boom then you can do two things
1: Upgrade the rear speakers for an four-way ones & no sub at all

2: Upgrade all speakers two-way,better wattage & one 8" sub 300/350 watts

But all this is up to your likeness.

I did replace all the stock speakers,i add three-way 300 watts each all around,two 12' subs 600 watts each,cassette player w/remote,an 6 CD changer,an 10 band digital EQ & 3 farads cap,believe me it sounds great.

4: About if the stock speakers can work with a upgraded head unit oh yea they do,just add one that would not overround the top wattage output
That means if your stock speakers can handle up to 180 watts you shouldn't add a head unit that spit over 170 watts if you do you can assume those speakers can go booom at any time.Specially if you play your music for long periods of time

So-CalVX
07/19/2008, 10:58 AM
Of course all querstion will be answered.

1: Is not really hard to have the cd's into the changer,jusy make sure whenever you are about to load your changer the cd's are straigh level,otherwise an accident could happen.

2:About the cubby i believe you can do that,but you got to keep in mind the changer wouldn't work without the cassette player.
3: all depends on your opinion about music,if you like the boom,boom window blasting you should go for it,of course the aereodinamic interior design of the VX makes the sound very acoustic,if you aren't into the boom,boom then you can do two things
1: Upgrade the rear speakers for an four-way ones & no sub at all

2: Upgrade all speakers two-way,better wattage & one 8" sub 300/350 watts

But all this is up to your likeness.

I did replace all the stock speakers,i add three-way 300 watts each all around,two 12' subs 600 watts each,cassette player w/remote,an 6 CD changer,an 10 band digital EQ & 3 farads cap,believe me it sounds great.

4: About if the stock speakers can work with a upgraded head unit oh yea they do,just add one that would not overround the top wattage output
That means if your stock speakers can handle up to 180 watts you shouldn't add a head unit that spit over 170 watts if you do you can assume those speakers can go booom at any time.Specially if you play your music for long periods of time

Thanx Gussie. Questions answered quite perfectly.
Only thing is, I am planning on putting an aftermarket headunit where my cd changer is now. Since its dead. And I'm thinking. About an mp3 capable head unit with an aux in so I can listen to my iPhone or an mp3 cd or a new cd (if I ever buy one again)
but now I'm second guessing myself... Would there be a temperature problem having the head unit down there?:confused: I know eric has his there.

Gussie2000
07/19/2008, 03:40 PM
Thanx Gussie. Questions answered quite perfectly.
Only thing is, I am planning on putting an aftermarket headunit where my cd changer is now. Since its dead. And I'm thinking. About an mp3 capable head unit with an aux in so I can listen to my iPhone or an mp3 cd or a new cd (if I ever buy one again)
but now I'm second guessing myself... Would there be a temperature problem having the head unit down there?:confused: I know eric has his there.

The answer is yes the temperature could affect the CD player's performance,specially on those hot california days,that's because as you might have knowledge all CD players plays the CD's through an laser beam,that laser beam its self becomes very hot,beside that the inner side of the dash turns very warm because of the proximity to the engine firewall & the trans temperature,plus the enclosed design of the dash,so i'll suggest you to have the head unit installed at the upper slot,you can aslo switch the cassette player to the lower slot & the CD player at the upper,it's much better,just to avoid any potencial issues. :)

etlsport
07/20/2008, 08:03 AM
sorry ive been stupid amounts of busy recently...

i have no trouble with my CDs in the lower slot.. however i dont have stock shift knobs, my new auto shifter sits about 6" lower than the stock one.. and my 4wd one sits about 2" lower than stock... ive never had a heat related issue with having my head unit mounted down there.. the engines computer is right there.. if there wasnt adequate ventilation it wouldnt be there.. plus the stock cd changer probably puts out a good amount of heat anyway... never been an issue for me but the wiring is more cramped, i had a hard time getting my wires all tucked in behind the head unit down there.. but i also have 9 RCA connections back there (1 for each speaker.. 1 for the subs.. 1 for the tweeters.. and 3 for AV input

the cubby hole could definitely go in the upper slot, there is one made for a rodeo that already has the brackets molded into the plastic so it would be easy.. only thing to worry about is anything that comes flying out of there will be more of a projectile because its higher in the air to start with

its more important to have high end stuff in the front and then work your subs to fit your budget (assuming you are looking for sound quality) a good set of component speakers in the front will provide you with a good amount of bass to begin with.. when i pull my subs for camping trips, my components in the front and 2 ways in the rear sound acceptable

the stock speakers will be fine with an upgraded head unit.. they will actually last longer at loud volumes with an upgraded head unit as opposed to the stock one (less distortion)

Gussie2000
07/22/2008, 08:28 PM
Usually in locations where hot climate is the every day issue this kinds of topics is always on the table,california is one of those place,i used to base my recommendations mostly because i've deal in the pass with it.
Now i wrote this because Head units & heat are very enemies,just as moisture & water.

Before i came to live in this country ( i'm from venezuela) i used to work this job & because the weather is mostly hot,hot & very hot i've seeing many dashboard customized with additional vents & air damns,etc. to help customers deal better with this issue regarding aftermarket music.

In the northern states hot weather is just for few months,so installing head unit in the lower slot like those in the VX shouldn't be a big deal,of course not.but in sourthern states such as florida & texas installing aftermarket head unit in lower slots can be a problem,specially as how i've state before if you play music for long periods of time.And this doesn't mean only the head unit,amplifiers falls into that group along with subs with high ohms at air -restricted areas.

But as how i've state before,all this is just recommendations,isn't the rule to have it done that way.
Now if you give a close up into the head unit user's manual there you can find info about head unit in high temperture areas playing for long periods of time.

ECU's often comes incased with high heat resistant shields,in my country they do,even more the cars builders that do business in my country actually "tropicalizes" their cars before they hit the the streets. But head units are more vulnerable to heat exposure so they fails much easier.
I can recall having two CPU fans attatched to my head unit & two additional vents at both sides on the lower dashboard where i used to live (98+ F all year around ) all because of the hot weather. :cool: