PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a VX anything I should be warned about?

skwash
11/21/2007, 08:34 AM
Hey all!

Looks like you've got a great community setup here. I am looking to buy a VX asap. Is there anything major I should look for or ask about?

I guess just some basic things to look for would be great. I saw one with 100k miles that already had a replaced engine.

Have you guys had many problems with reliability?

Thanks for any info!

etlsport
11/21/2007, 09:19 AM
there are a few vxs that have blown engines early in life (as early as 25k.. usually not past 60k) it seems the main reason for this is lack of oil. the aluminum block in the VX has a tendancy to burn oil and nobody knows for sure why.. but as long as you keep tabs on it, should not be an issue. I just check my oil every 500 miles or so and refill when necessary (usually only about 1 quart every 3000 miles.. but sometimes as much as 1/2 quart after 1000 miles)

so when you buy a vx first thing you should do it check the oil.. if no oil is visible.. walk away

other things to look out for.. ABS light is usually a hefty cost to fix from a dealer (almost 3000!) but i was able to fix mine for 100 (used part and my own labor)

other things to check.. make sure the windows work properly, check the underside for big dents or scrapes from heavy offroading

faded cladding is easily fixed with about 1,239,282,450,258,602 different products that all seem to work comparably well

dont be shy about buying a VX that is not local to you, many people here have bought 1 way plane tickets and driven their new vx back.. good bonding experience :) and if you post here a lot of times you can find someone nearby to go look at the vx first so you dont make a trip in vein... ive done this for people

depending on your budget.. i would look at the VX from member Biju.. its BEAUTIFUL and well taken care of.. and we will all be sad if someone not on the forum ends up buying it

circmand
11/21/2007, 09:20 AM
Welcome aboard that is a good question but it has been answered many times before check out the site and its many repair and problem sections there is really no reason to start a new catagory when every thing you need is already posted. I do not say this to be mean you are new to te site of course but to explain why you will not get a lot of responses.

tom4bren
11/21/2007, 10:31 AM
The window problems that etlsport mentioned are manageable with a little effort so don't let that keep you from buying. Use the search function using window as the search function.

One other thing to keep in mind is that several members have had the front CV boots tear. It's not that big of a deal to replace but if it is run with the torn boot, the CVs will go Tango Uniform very quickly and that's $$$.

If you like the VX, go for it. You'll love the experience.

I hope you don't have plans on making a monster truck though. 3" lift is easily achievable but anything higher will require serious mods. I've heard of one at 4.5".

thedutchguy
11/21/2007, 11:54 AM
Gas mileage!

Chopper
11/21/2007, 02:57 PM
If you're serious, look at Biju's post....2001 Proton for sale...contact him quickly...write a check for 15900....and enjoy one of the nicer VXs as your own. (it's no 0177....but, 0177 is not for sale.....so GO! JUMP! Why you still reading this??? You won't do better.

Ldub
11/21/2007, 03:03 PM
What Chopper said...:cool:

All I'll add is RUN don't walk to arrange financing & get yourself a plane ticky to Colorado, you won't find a cleaner, more pampered VX anywhere at any price.

Oh & bring a cryin' towel for Beej & some sort of prying instrument to get the keys out of his hand.;)

JoFotoz
11/21/2007, 04:28 PM
Compare Bijus to this one on e-bay.....

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-2001-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-Yellow-VERY-RARE-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ220172691387QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6270 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bijus is over 25,000 miles 'newer'...its pampered....its tricked out...

....and if I could own TWO VX's (VX'i..??!!)...I'd grab it!

Waddayawaitingfor!!

jo

(You too Don Moore...go fetch!!!!!)

Raque Thomas
11/21/2007, 05:09 PM
If you want the fastest color :) check mine out on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-2001-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-Black-w-black-and-red-interior_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6270QQihZ003QQ itemZ130175560386QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

She's a beaut! Lots of mods, but no lift. Very much an everyday driver or a garage bunny. Like Biju, I've mixed emotions about this, but I've taken the plunge, and it looks like she's sold - just a matter of to whom at this point. I don't think I'll be able to stop visiting this site on a regular basis, and I'm sure there will be another in my future. I've already begun my mod list - V8, total custom dash grafted from another vehicle (thinking Grand Am pods, or Malibu boat chrome pods), power seats, body panels similar to the "Moon Craft" VX..... Now I just need an extremely large bucket of money:p

As to your question - every vehicle has issues - I personally think the VX issues are minor compared with most limited production vehicles. Take the plunge - once you do, you'll be hooked!