PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Driver's Side Window

rocket man
11/20/2007, 11:01 AM
They Shattered my window breaking in!!

Somebody broke into my car last week and stole my aftermarket Pioneer Radio Nav. system and digital camera:mad:

My question for "You Genius'" out there, is what is a fair installation price? I can get the window for about $175 my cost. and do myself

I've a $500 deductable...plus I think I'm gonna get jerked around a little on the camera me tinks.

Anybody out there ever had a "dealer" or a "repair or glass shop"replace the window??...R&R time is what Im looking for???

Any input is much appreciated

Thanks,

John

deermagnet
11/20/2007, 06:23 PM
The cost of the window and installation can vary a lot. Sounds like you got a great price on the window if you mean the door glass. My driver's door window got shattered at 9:00 AM. I contacted a glass shop that morning and they had it shipped overnight and I had a new window installed perfectly by 11:30 AM the very next day. Great service on that one for sure.

I paid just the $100 deductable on the comprehensive portion of my policy. They said the glass was about $300. I don't know what the labor for the install was.

Mark

rocket man
11/20/2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mark,

I got a quote today for $350.00 part and labor....but I sure wish I had that $100 comp coverage you have. The window seems pretty available around here anyway..

Hey thanks again.:).

John

Hotsauce
11/21/2007, 02:48 AM
Obviously, make sure the window works properly before you leave.

Same thing happened to me, AVIC-N3 gone.

You'll be finding glass bits for the next year.

John C.

WormGod
11/21/2007, 07:25 AM
Had a windshield replaced early this year. My State Farm ins. covered 100% and had Safe-Lite come out to my house and change it it my garage. The total was around $800 for the glass because of tint trim and the defrost-heating element, but not having had to pay $0.01 was great and it didnt affect my rate at all with the claim. Oh, this was on my WRX, not my VX, but still worthy to know perhaps.

In this case, you shoudl get your own glass and do it. The deductible isnt worth it. And note to yourself.... dont keep valuables in the car anymore. ;)

JAFO
11/21/2007, 12:09 PM
Had a windshield replaced early this year. My State Farm ins. covered 100% and had Safe-Lite come out to my house and change it it my garage. The total was around $800 for the glass because of tint trim and the defrost-heating element, but not having had to pay $0.01 was great and it didnt affect my rate at all with the claim. Oh, this was on my WRX, not my VX, but still worthy to know perhaps.

In this case, you shoudl get your own glass and do it. The deductible isnt worth it. And note to yourself.... dont keep valuables in the car anymore. ;)

Deductible isn't worth it? You mean to pay more premium to lower the deductible?

Since you have a $500 deductible if you had a total loss of $1000 the insurance will only reimburse you $500 ($1000 loss - $500 deductible).

So it is in your best interest to accurately report your claim with all of the stolen items and repair costs for damage at fair value.

Some states, like Arizona, have a separate $0 deductible for auto glass.

rocket man
11/21/2007, 01:27 PM
Okay...So how does it work? I havn't filed a claim on auto ins. since 1982..

I can get the window like I said for my cost for $175... it retails for $264...Mercury Ins. has the policy and a $500 Comp. deductable...The AVIC N-1 I paid $1424 in August 2004(retails $2300) on E-bay. I understand the N1 was superceded by the N-2 and now the N-3. with the N-1 discontinued is the N-3 dash body compatable with the old N-1 components? Mercury pays only up to $1000 on "aftermarket installs". The Camera was just a juicy morsel he found hidden under my cloths on the floor of the back seat, it was bought in May of 07. I have all receipts...

Mercury Insurance wants me to have their glass people do it or I can do it myself and they will credit me with my labor against the deductable for the window install probably $100-$150..There window people will have to give the estimate...So lets say I have $350 for the window. I then pay $150 for the remaining losses? Right??

JAFO mentions fair value...This thief stole this radio probably thinking its just a radio, because the Nav-screen retracks and it looks like a regular radio when the engine is turned off, but he left behind all the goodies that make the thing work..they were still under my seat..hahahaha! So how do they adjust "fair value" when I only need one component and not the "brain"? Also the camera is a Leica/Panasonic Digital I got on E-Bay for $600, 6 months ago and retails for around $800+....so whats "fair value" there???....What I paid? What its worth?, What it costs new retail? :rolly2:...I guess, simply how do these ins. co's calculate these losses?

Hotsauce
11/21/2007, 03:41 PM
If you need the stow away N-3 parts I still have them. As well as the matching XM reciever with a few years service paid up.

John C.

rocket man
11/21/2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Thanks Hotsauce:)

I'lll keep it in mind as my little sorty unfolds...I guess you got a complete package? They stole only the dash unit too?

How much?

John

Francesco Rizzo
11/23/2007, 09:26 AM
I've got a window.. but I'm in fl

rocket man
11/23/2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks Francesco!

How much? but do you ship something like that?:confused:

WormGod
11/27/2007, 08:41 AM
Deductible isn't worth it? You mean to pay more premium to lower the deductible?

Since you have a $500 deductible if you had a total loss of $1000 the insurance will only reimburse you $500 ($1000 loss - $500 deductible).

So it is in your best interest to accurately report your claim with all of the stolen items and repair costs for damage at fair value.

Some states, like Arizona, have a separate $0 deductible for auto glass.

Basically, if the repair cost is less than the deductible, its worthless. If its close to it, use your best judgement. If its significantly higher, hop on the that train. I have been down all 3 roads a LOT in the past, let alone having been a tech in a body shop for many years and butting heads with insurance companies, heh.

As for reporting any stolen items from the vehicle, not all insurance companies will honor that. Mine will, IF I have receipts from the purchase of the items claimed.

I am pretty sure MD doesnt dictate windshield coverage to insurance companies, but I could be mistaken. It was covered under mt insurance as Road Hazard. The $0 was acually a surprise to me. I was fully expecting to pay something.

JAFO
11/27/2007, 01:23 PM
Okay...So how does it work? I havn't filed a claim on auto ins. since 1982..

I can get the window like I said for my cost for $175... it retails for $264...Mercury Ins. has the policy and a $500 Comp. deductable...The AVIC N-1 I paid $1424 in August 2004(retails $2300) on E-bay. I understand the N1 was superceded by the N-2 and now the N-3. with the N-1 discontinued is the N-3 dash body compatable with the old N-1 components? Mercury pays only up to $1000 on "aftermarket installs". The Camera was just a juicy morsel he found hidden under my cloths on the floor of the back seat, it was bought in May of 07. I have all receipts...

Mercury Insurance wants me to have their glass people do it or I can do it myself and they will credit me with my labor against the deductable for the window install probably $100-$150..There window people will have to give the estimate...So lets say I have $350 for the window. I then pay $150 for the remaining losses? Right??

JAFO mentions fair value...This thief stole this radio probably thinking its just a radio, because the Nav-screen retracks and it looks like a regular radio when the engine is turned off, but he left behind all the goodies that make the thing work..they were still under my seat..hahahaha! So how do they adjust "fair value" when I only need one component and not the "brain"? Also the camera is a Leica/Panasonic Digital I got on E-Bay for $600, 6 months ago and retails for around $800+....so whats "fair value" there???....What I paid? What its worth?, What it costs new retail? :rolly2:...I guess, simply how do these ins. co's calculate these losses?

By fair value, I just meant keep it real, not hike up the prices above what they can be readily purchased for. On the other hand if parts are not available from the manufacturer, you might have to buy a whole new unit. This could be claimed on the insurance, up to your $1000 aftermarket limit.

It's too late now but for future info if you have more than $1000 in aftermarket equipment you may want to consider increasing the insurance coverage. I think they call them riders.

One thing you may want to look into is if you have Home Owners or Renters insurance items left in your vehicle might be covered.

It's good that they will let you do the install and credit it towards the deductible, that will save you some out of pocket money.

Kenny
11/29/2007, 01:29 PM
Make sure it's just the window you need.

I had mine smashed last year and I had to get a new weather strip/glass slide as they mangled it when they used a screwdriver to wedge in between the glass and weatherstrip to start the shatter point.

just FYI.

rocket man
11/29/2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks everybody:p

Well the window estimate approved by the ins. is $333+tx. and $100 labor total= $460. The loss on the radio is $1650 but is capped by my "added on accessory" limit of $1000..total claim to be paid $1460.00...less $500 deductable. I file under homeowners ins for the camera...nothing here.

They will allow me to do my own labor...my cost for the window is $175 so I make up around $300 of my $500 by doing it myself.....I sure hope that window comes with those little mickey mouse plastic "gizmos" that attach the window to the lift mechanism