PDA

View Full Version : Group EGR Question

Joe_Black
11/19/2007, 06:20 AM
I'm just curious as to how many here have eliminated their EGR setup? If you have, please post and share your solutions for the block-off and signal replication.

Thanks!

Joe_Black
11/21/2007, 06:08 AM
Sooo... No one has eliminated the EGR?

WILLY
11/21/2007, 08:35 AM
Is it possible? cause i would do it if i could.

nfpgasmask
11/21/2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I wonder how it would affect things like my burning oil problem....

So Joe, please lay upon us your knowledge about the EGR, what it does, and why we don't need it.

Bart

Joe_Black
11/21/2007, 02:37 PM
Here's a pretty decent wiki entry on the EGR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egr

Removing it is fairly simple with the exception of the sensor, which in my opinion is best to properly wire with a bypass to "fool" the ECU into thinking it's operating normally. These are commercially available for a number of vehicles, but for the VX we'll need to divine what will cross to it or how to make one custom. They're not really complicated, usually just a resistor or capacitor to simulate the sensor signal, but often critical to keeping the CEL off and in some cases proper engine management.

spitfire5454
11/22/2007, 05:27 PM
the supercharger i recieved for my VX was designed to be used w/o the EGR. supposedly made more power w/o it. but i was never able to get the CEL to go off. i finally just cut the wire. there are five or six wires that go in/out of the EGR. i wasnt able to rig up any resistors to fool it. it seemed easy in theory, but it seems there are a ton of ways the the egr can throw a CEL and i wasnt couldnt come up with a way to fool it. it seemed pretty complicated. i would love it if someone could come up with a way though.