PDA

View Full Version : keyless remote battery

UtahVXer
11/16/2007, 03:20 PM
Anyone know how long the keyless remote batteries last? The original batteries on my 01 are still working; though I was wondering if replacing the old batteries would increase the (very limited) range? Does anyone know the replacement battery size?
Thanks.

psychos2
11/16/2007, 03:57 PM
CR2025 is the correct battery. shawn

Ldub
11/16/2007, 04:29 PM
Anyone know how long the keyless remote batteries last? The original batteries on my 01 are still working; though I was wondering if replacing the old batteries would increase the (very limited) range? Does anyone know the replacement battery size?
Thanks.

One thing that will increase the range is to move the antenna wire from the door threshold to the drivers side A pillar. Do a forums search for "wireless remote" for more detailed instructions.
There is also info. available on a replacement battery that is a little thicker (but still fits inside the fob) & has a ittle more "juice".

Ldub
11/16/2007, 04:48 PM
originally posted by "spacetruck'n".

The original battery is a CR-2025 and still says its got three volts. Never being satisfyed, I looked around for something with a bit more balls. (That's an industry term) Thinking of where I last saw a battery such as that. I remembered the one in my dogs flashing LED collar. It uses a #2032 lithuim watch battery for "up to 250 hours of blinking visability" I found it to be about one tenth of an inch thicker but still fit, and the extra gram or so of "whatever" should make it last a bit longer than the stock anorexic coin cell.

VCrossfan
11/18/2007, 04:48 AM
After getting tired of the weak distance of our unlock/lock I remember reading a couple post here about installing two CR-2025 batteries and relocating the receiver wire from the lower threshold position up to the windshield pillar position. I've had this mod for over 3 years and it did help some but still below average on distance

Chopper
11/19/2007, 01:33 PM
Point the fob at the under side of your chin when you push the button. Looks kinda weird, but it will give you maybe 10 extra feet of range. Don't know why it works, but it does.

Bulldoggie
11/20/2007, 12:53 PM
the range of the fob has never bothered me, but the life of the batteries is way too short. I've even switched to the lithium battery. I seem to only get a few weeks before they are dead.
The only reason I can come up with is coins in my pocket holding the button down?? or just the button is not recessed enough to be in pants pockets?
I don't even bother with it anymore, don't want to set it off if the fob is too weak to dis-arm the alarm.

Chopper
11/20/2007, 03:11 PM
Something's up....I've O.E.M. 2001s in both of mine.:confused:

Bulldoggie
11/20/2007, 03:43 PM
Point the fob at the under side of your chin when you push the button. Looks kinda weird, but it will give you maybe 10 extra feet of range. Don't know why it works, but it does.

BTW this trick does work!
If you are still using 6 year old batteries, I sure I need a new fob.

UtahVXer
11/21/2007, 02:32 PM
After getting tired of the weak distance of our unlock/lock I remember reading a couple post here about installing two CR-2025 batteries ...

Has anyone actually done this? Used two batteries instead of one? That would double the voltage which could damage the transmitter; but if others have done it successfully, I would like to know, so I can safely do it myself. The extra voltage might boost the power output of the transmitter and the range. But I have learned to be careful about changing voltages on electronic devices.
Thanks again.

VCrossfan
11/21/2007, 03:27 PM
Has anyone actually done this? Used two batteries instead of one? That would double the voltage which could damage the transmitter; but if others have done it successfully, I would like to know, so I can safely do it myself. The extra voltage might boost the power output of the transmitter and the range. But I have learned to be careful about changing voltages on electronic devices.
Thanks again.

I've done the 2 battery (see post #5) and I relocated the reciever wire,,seemed to help a slight bit. And on the other post about holding the pocket unit under your chin, it seemed to work better at times..lol

etlsport
11/21/2007, 10:33 PM
guess i am one of the lucky ones.. i re-routed my antenna wire and use the 2025... just a few minutes ago my remote worked fine from the front door to my vx on the other side of the street.. (50-55 feet) i always just make sure to point the fob at the vx like a remote (i know it shouldnt matter since it is an RF signal.. but still do it and it seems to help)