PDA

View Full Version : My new friend...

nfpgasmask
11/08/2007, 02:04 PM
For those interested, here are some pics of my new buddy. The wife named "him" Milo.

http://www.nofuture.com/matamata/photos/mata01.jpg

http://www.nofuture.com/matamata/photos/mata02.jpg

http://www.nofuture.com/matamata/photos/mata06.jpg

This little guy is awesome.

:) Bart

Ldub
11/08/2007, 02:29 PM
THAT is one strange lookin' whatchamacallit...:confused:

You say that's a turtle ?...it gives one cause to ponder what sort of evolutionary conditions might have been in place to get that as a result.

WAY COOL Bart!

nfpgasmask
11/08/2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, a turtle indeed! And not one for you to make soup out of ;)

Its a Mata Mata, and it is without a doubt, probably the strangest turtle ever! I have always wanted one!

You say that's a turtle ?...it gives one cause to ponder what sort of evolutionary conditions might have been in place to get that as a result.

WAY COOL Bart!

VXD959
11/08/2007, 04:14 PM
Between your VX, masks, and mata-mata, I can only deduce that you really like strange, unique things!

Congrats!

Chopper
11/08/2007, 04:36 PM

WAY COOL Bart! Diffused sunlight, water filled with the detritus and debris of the deep forest (sticks and leaves), moving slowly...filled with pools, eddies, and tiny tributaries....The Orinoco basin for this particular guy. He's a beaut:):):)

Chopper
11/08/2007, 04:42 PM
GET RID OF THE PLASTIC!!! Nothing, is preferable to plastic. I know you are trying to get real plants going, but meanwhile, pull the Chinese poly out. He really is awesome!

Triathlete
11/08/2007, 09:32 PM
I couldn't see the turtle...it appears as if there is a leaf covering it!;eeko;;Do;

ALMO
11/09/2007, 07:09 AM
Gas, is this your younger brother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Cool little creature you have there. I too have an interest in the glass box hobby. I have a mini reef tank going at the moment. You know, because spending tons of money on my VX isn't enough. I need another expensive hobby to throw cash at.

Good luck with him/her

JHarris1385
11/09/2007, 08:06 AM
NICE! I have a RES (red ear slider) that I got about 3 years ago and he is huge, actually almost too big now (about the size of a 7'' frisbee), and a razorback Map he is just about 1 yrs old and only 3'' or less.

Where did you get yours from? How big is the tank? What is your filter set up?

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 09:39 AM
Indeed....and it doesn't stop there really. I don't really know why, but I have always liked weird stuff. It just sucks because everything I like is a pain in the arse to find ;)

Bart

Between your VX, masks, and mata-mata, I can only deduce that you really like strange, unique things!

Congrats!

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I know. I want to get some hornwort in there asap. The plastic plants are definitely on their way out. I am going to San Fran next weekend, and I will be stopping by the Aqua Forest Aquarium (http://www.adana-usa.com/) shop and picking up several live plants for the tank.

And THEN, in 3-4 months, I move into a new house and I will be setting up a 125-180 gallon for him. I really want to replicate a nice Amazon drainage for him...it will be challenging.

Bart

GET RID OF THE PLASTIC!!! Nothing, is preferable to plastic. I know you are trying to get real plants going, but meanwhile, pull the Chinese poly out. He really is awesome!

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 09:44 AM
LOL, my wife just asked me, "why is it that everything you do is a money pit?"

Gas, is this your younger brother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Cool little creature you have there. I too have an interest in the glass box hobby. I have a mini reef tank going at the moment. You know, because spending tons of money on my VX isn't enough. I need another expensive hobby to throw cash at.

Good luck with him/her

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 09:47 AM
NICE! I have a RES (red ear slider) that I got about 3 years ago and he is huge, actually almost too big now (about the size of a 7'' frisbee), and a razorback Map he is just about 1 yrs old and only 3'' or less.

Razorbacks are killer. I used to have a mappy when I was younger. Beautiful little gems they are. Right now, my tank is only a 20L. But I am planning a monster tank for him once I move in a few months. I got this Mata Mata from a guy on KingSnake.com. He runs a turtle farm in the Tampa area called Martins World Exotics. Good guy, seems to know his stuff and was really easy to work with and friendly. Just stay far away from turtlesale.com. Those people run a shady business.

Bart

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah, these turtles have insane camo. I can't get over the shell either. Its just insane looking...reminds me a Gamera and Kamoebas! :)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/a/a3/Tn_kamoebas70.jpg

Bart

I couldn't see the turtle...it appears as if there is a leaf covering it!;eeko;;Do;

Y33TREKker
11/09/2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah, that's what the tank is missing, a miniature Godzilla!!

JHarris1385
11/09/2007, 01:28 PM
That aqua forest aquarium is an awesome site. Where did you find a link to a site that sells turtles off of kingsnake.com. The navigation on that site will take some getting used to.

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 01:41 PM
Oh, on Kingsnake, just go to "classifieds" at the top. Then scroll down under "US Ads" you will see "turtles". Click that, and you will be taken to the most recent posts for turtles. Matas are rare on there, but I am sure Martins World still has some. Not sure if you are just browsing, but Greg Martin is a good seller and has a lot of other turtles besides Matas. PM me if you want his info.

Bart`

That aqua forest aquarium is an awesome site. Where did you find a link to a site that sells turtles off of kingsnake.com. The navigation on that site will take some getting used to.

JHarris1385
11/09/2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks. I checked it out. I was wondering if Martins had a Mata for any cheaper than I have seen else where. Its average and maybe $20 less than other sites but still $$$. Have you ever had box turtles or tortoises? Iv been thinking about creating an outdoor habitat for a tortoise. That mata is super cool. I like the alligator snappers and soft shell as well.

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 02:36 PM
Turtles I have had:

Common Snapper
Florida Snapper
Spiny Softshell
Florida Softshell
Common Stinkpot
Common Mud Turtle
Chinese Box Turtle
Eastern Box Turtle
Diamondback Terrapin
Red Eared Slider
Common Map
Eastern Painted Turtle
Reeves Turtle

I have never had a tortoise but my nephew has a Russian.

Yes, Matas are HELLA pricey. This is why I never had one until now, and it is the only turtle I will have for a long time, probably. I would love to have another tank, but for now I will concentrate on my Mata.

Boxies and tortoises are awesome also. Where you live, you could EASILY create a natural, outdoor habitat for boxies. You might even get some breeding, which would be awesome. The only thing, is that boxies will climb, and dig. So you would need to proof your enclosure. The climbing is especially bad if they fall. I once had a large outdoor enclosure for boxies back in IL, and I used chicken wire. They would climb up it, and sometimes fall, so it was not the best enclosure.

Bart

Thanks. I checked it out. I was wondering if Martins had a Mata for any cheaper than I have seen else where. Its average and maybe $20 less than other sites but still $$$. Have you ever had box turtles or tortoises? Iv been thinking about creating an outdoor habitat for a tortoise. That mata is super cool. I like the alligator snappers and soft shell as well.

JHarris1385
11/09/2007, 02:56 PM
I have had an outdoor habitat for box turtles for years. It was made out of bricks that were left over after building my house. At one time we had about 11 in there most eastern but a number were western males. We also had an occasional painted turtle in the mix to accompy the pond that was inside. And yes we had a eastern male mate with another female and had about 13 babies. We would put a some mulch in where the pond would during the winter for them to hibernate. Pretty nice set up, considering after a couple years all the cherry tomatoe plants that started to grow inside due to the seeds left behind began to feed the turtles quite well over time.

I have always wanted a mata, but i am going to wait to make sure I do it right from the start. My res, map and bearded dragon are enough right now for inside reptiles.

nfpgasmask
11/09/2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, that's exactly it. I kept a lot of herps over the years, but haven't had ANY for the last 10 or so. College, moving back to Chicago, getting married, etc. All that moving around and what not kept me from getting any reptiles. But now, we are settling down and I have space, time and money to take care of a turtle, and a Mata has been my life long "dream turtle". So, I will dedicate all my time to this little guy. Its gonna take some time to get it under control, but I am getting the hang of it (pH, live fish, etc).

I don't know why, but for me, turtles have always been my favorite herps. They are so prehistoric and wicked looking, and so cute at the same time.

Bart

I have had an outdoor habitat for box turtles for years. It was made out of bricks that were left over after building my house. At one time we had about 11 in there most eastern but a number were western males. We also had an occasional painted turtle in the mix to accompy the pond that was inside. And yes we had a eastern male mate with another female and had about 13 babies. We would put a some mulch in where the pond would during the winter for them to hibernate. Pretty nice set up, considering after a couple years all the cherry tomatoe plants that started to grow inside due to the seeds left behind began to feed the turtles quite well over time.

I have always wanted a mata, but i am going to wait to make sure I do it right from the start. My res, map and bearded dragon are enough right now for inside reptiles.

Chopper
11/09/2007, 05:44 PM

Hate to break it to ya....anything bigger than a saucer, is a female. SHE will get about the size of an old LP record...within 5 years:p:p:p