PDA

View Full Version : Independent4x

CrnCnn
11/05/2007, 08:52 PM
I need to order mechatech CV boots. Independent4x.com is not working does anyone know where else I can get them, or is the site just not working for me?

Edit: Nevermind Sorry..... Patience is a virtue

CrnCnn
11/05/2007, 09:01 PM
:mad:Now their credit card deal dont work. ARGH!!!!:mad:

CrnCnn
11/05/2007, 09:12 PM
Now I am just talking to myself... I am ready for the day to end. It worked on my wifes computer....

I give up.

blah
:eek:

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 05:42 AM
Telephones are wonderful things: Independent4X = 804-550-0480

CrnCnn
11/06/2007, 05:46 AM
Telephones are wonderful things: Independent4X = 804-550-0480

Well, thanks for the sarcasm. That was the plan for today, but then the wife said let me try on my computer and it worked. I didnt think that it would work since the first time I tried to order them I got the same error message. Must be something wrong with my computer.

Boots are on the way....

Ascinder do you have a clamp tool?

etlsport
11/06/2007, 07:17 AM
lol dont get too upset man.. just watch this.. always make me feel better no matter whats going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

tom4bren
11/06/2007, 07:29 AM
CrnCnn,

I have the tool to hold the strap tight. Is that what you're looking for?

I don't have anything to crimp the bands though. I tried to use a screw driver & it worked but not very well.

PM me if you need me to send you the tightener (taking Eric's tool sharing concept to new levels).

CrnCnn
11/06/2007, 08:57 AM
CrnCnn,

I have the tool to hold the strap tight. Is that what you're looking for?

I don't have anything to crimp the bands though. I tried to use a screw driver & it worked but not very well.

PM me if you need me to send you the tightener (taking Eric's tool sharing concept to new levels).

I am not sure either I guess. I thought I had to get a crimping tool. I will let you know, Thank you.

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 12:11 PM
The tightener is the only odd tool you need to install the bands. But use a screwdriver to bend the tabs over, then hammer them down tight. When you cut off the excess band metal, leave enough to fold over the tabs and hammer that down on top. The band itself will then be in a Z shape with the tabs kinda sandwiched. That keeps everything nice and neat and tight.

tom4bren
11/06/2007, 12:14 PM
That's what I did but I lost some of the tension in the process (didn't look very professional either). It did work though.

Ascinder
11/06/2007, 12:30 PM
I didn't actually end up using the bands they came with. I went out and got a couple sets that work a little differently, so I never ended up getting the tool. I think the kind I got have a point on them that sticks up higher than the ones that came with the mecatechs, and have been secretly wondering if it was somewhat to blame for the boots tearing prematurely. I also used redline super spendy hyper fantastic synthetic grease instead of what they came with and have also been secretly wondering if it could have at all weakened the boots up some causing my CV woes as well. I guess sometimes it's a curse really, my inherent compulsion to always try and tamper with things that is.....

tom4bren
11/06/2007, 12:38 PM
I thought about using some industrial grade zip ties instead of the metal straps but changed my mind for that very reason (it's called 'over engineering'). In hind sight, I think they would have worked better.

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 01:09 PM
I did have those HD zipties on the stock boots before I changed them out. They installed tightly enough and lasted, but it seemed like the clip thing would get too close to the boot and the clipped plastic part of the band would maybe rub a hole in the boot in time. Not sure though.

Ascinder
11/06/2007, 01:25 PM
What we really need are some industrial rubber bands like giant versions of the ones that come on broccoli in the supermarket. If the boot is rubber and it holds up to the elements then why not. Also makes lubing/cleaning easy.

tom4bren
11/06/2007, 01:30 PM
I can just picture me doing a boot swap & getting the whole thing back together before realizing I forgot to put the rubberbands around the axle first. What a kick in the arse that would be. :o

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 03:05 PM
Well, thanks for the sarcasm.
LOL, now free with every post! ;)

CrnCnn
11/06/2007, 09:04 PM
I read in a post, I think it was Billy's write up for the CV boot change, that Swordy suggested using zip ties. Something about the fact that it will allow the boot to slide a little on you axles so in turn they don’t tear as fast from stretching.

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 09:11 PM
Anything loose enough to slide would perhaps let water in, no?

uncle_asa
11/06/2007, 09:42 PM
I read in a post, I think it was Billy's write up for the CV boot change, that Swordy suggested using zip ties. Something about the fact that it will allow the boot to slide a little on you axles so in turn they don’t tear as fast from stretching.

I heard that it is possible to use Mitsubishi Montero CV boots instead and they lasts longer. Haven't tried by myself though.

CrnCnn
11/07/2007, 05:10 AM
Anything loose enough to slide would perhaps let water in, no?

I agree and I love playing in the mud too much....

CrnCnn
11/07/2007, 05:11 AM
I heard that it is possible to use Mitsubishi Montero CV boots instead and they lasts longer. Haven't tried by myself though.

Hmmm. I wonder what years