PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Flush

wfjfg
06/07/2003, 09:06 AM
Hmm, had a weird one today. Brought the VX to a local service center to perform a transmission flush, so I could switch to synthetics, and the service guy refused to do it because he didn't know how? Apparently, he was befuddled because it does not have a transmission fluid dipstick. Seemed strange to me as I would think they would just flush trhu the 9 to 10 quarts, and they crack the fill hole to make sure level was good.

Am I missing anything here? Has anybody else had a transmission flush? If yes, where di they get it done? I am sitting here with 10 quarts of Royal Purple and no way to get it into vehicle...

Heraclid
06/07/2003, 09:56 AM
That's the first thing that hit me when I got mine home and started looking around under the hood closer. Where's the transmission fluid dipstick??? :-) I personally had just never seen a car without one. <shrug>

VX crazy
06/07/2003, 04:47 PM
Had mine done at Jiffy Lube! No problems at all, I was out there watching the entire time, switching to Royal Purple synthetic. Really, what comes out goes back in, so they can't overfill with the machine they use!

wfjfg
06/08/2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the hints. However, I went to two Jiffy Lubes today, and they both looked at me like I was from another planet. Oh well, the search goes on...

VR4-Quest
06/11/2003, 10:47 AM
I just had mine in for its 30K service to Isuzu dealer, and I supplied my 9 qts of royal purple, but they only used like 3.5-4 qts???
They did change it, if you look at the tranny pan, there is a drain right in the center, but a little ways up and still facing down is a fill hole, so basically your refilling whats in the pan up to that level. Is this correct, why did it take only 4 qts, is there a filter to change or a correct way to do this so I can clue my dealer in or do it myself? The owners manual says to "have your dealer service the auto trans".

Tone
06/11/2003, 12:05 PM
4 qts only gets what’s in the pan - flush is way better but doesn’t get the filter changed so I alternate. You just need to educate the Jiffy Lube people that they can do it - our tranny cooling lines are the same as other vehicles and they are only taking out the same amount as they are putting in so it would be very difficult to mess up, even for those guys. The JL here even checked the level afterwards to be sure by pulling the upper fill plug to verify fluid would flow out. Cost of the flush is usually around $80 including their fluid - they will discount a little ($10) if you use your own fluid.

Chief Warthog
06/11/2003, 12:41 PM
Which is the Jiffy that you use here in RR/Austin Area? I would rather go to a place that has see a VX before.

Tone
06/11/2003, 12:48 PM
Parmer/Mopac - the mgr and techs know me.

I_Wanna_Retire
06/11/2003, 01:31 PM
Tone, when you flushed, did they use a full 10 quarts? I ask because one of my quarts had a slow leak during shipment, and I only have about 9.75 quarts. Enough?

nuk
11/09/2003, 05:47 PM
I want to switch my trans fluid to synthetic so does the VX have a trans filter? if so can I buy it from the dealer.:confused:

TDAWG
11/09/2003, 09:29 PM
Hey nuk,
You can diffently pick-up a Transmission Filter at Pep Boys. I'll post the puralator number tomorrow after I get home. You would be surprised at the things they have for the VX. They have Filters, Synthetic Fluids (Mobil 1 and others), Transmission Coolers (Heavy Duty to Light Duty) Even Ceramic Brake Pads.I do searchs for things for my VX all the time and am always amazed at the stuff we got or can even get.
The one thing that I keep wondering about is will the engine light come on if I change the Tranny Fluid?
Cuz it is coming up on the 15K mark and want to get it done at Pep Boys while I work.