PDA

View Full Version : engine temps not high enough?

etlsport
11/05/2007, 04:10 PM
strange thing i noticed today that i dont think has ever happened.. my engine just didnt want to warm up.. usually i run at 173-180 degrees F in this type of weather.. up to 186 in the summer.. on my way home tonight it was about 56 degrees F.. and i noticed about 15 minutes into my drive my water temp was only at 162.. i was cruising at about 65mph going up a slight incline most of the way... i thought it was strange, never seen my temps that low by time i got home.. had barely hit 170

BD-VX99
11/05/2007, 04:56 PM
I've driven hours at -20C and below and always average 176-178F. Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open?

Chopper
11/05/2007, 06:05 PM
stuck open, is always better than stuck closed....always buy "Failsafe" thermostats

etlsport
11/21/2008, 08:36 PM
bringing this thread back to life... it got cold again.. and similar issue, just worse.. if i run my heater.. the vx takes a good 20 minutes to get to like 140*

even so I havent seen my water temp above 168* in the last 2 days and ive driven 30 min+ in traffic

so where is this thermostat and how hard is it to replace.. ive resorted to not using the heat to keep my temps up! honestly.. who has trouble keeping their water temperature up!?:_confused

Ldub
11/21/2008, 10:05 PM
bringing this thread back to life... it got cold again.. and similar issue, just worse.. if i run my heater.. the vx takes a good 20 minutes to get to like 140*

even so I havent seen my water temp above 168* in the last 2 days and ive driven 30 min+ in traffic

so where is this thermostat and how hard is it to replace.. ive resorted to not using the heat to keep my temps up! honestly.. who has trouble keeping their water temperature up!?:_confused

The t-stat, unfortunately, is under the intake manifold...:sighwgray..:_wrench:

If you decide to replace it, rather than blocking some airflow to the radiator for the winter, you should replace the intake gaskets as well...:_wrench:
Also, get a new "O" ring for the hard pipe that goes into the T-stat housing.
The new T-stat comes with a new O-ring, so no worries about getting a new gasket.

Triathlete
11/21/2008, 10:54 PM
honestly.. who has trouble keeping their water temperature up!?:_confused

[cue Bevis & Butthead voice] hahahaha ha haha hahaha [/End B&B voice] :laughy::laughy::laughy::laughy::laughy:

...Sorry, someone had to! :naughty: