PDA

View Full Version : Diesel swap: help needed

dforester
11/05/2007, 11:49 AM
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm taking the plunge. I believe I will be picking up one of mistermg's blown engine VXs in the next two weeks, and since it has a dead engine I might as well swap a diesel in there.

Yes, I've read all of the threads I can find on this site on the subject, but I'm still going to need a lot of technical help from you all to get this done. I'm going to have a shop here in town help me out with this (there's no way I could do this by myself), but the more planning I have done ahead of time, the easier and cheaper this will be in the long run.

I also realize that there are some people that object to a diesel swap as it is not holding true to the ideals the Isuzu designers had in mind when they created the VX. Ummm, maybe. But clearly the 3.5l engine had some design issues, otherwise the VX I'm buying would have a working engine. So, since I want an engine that will last for as long as the rest of the vehicle, and since there's a biodiesel station (B20) around the corner from my house, and since I want to get significantly better than 15 mpg, I'm going diesel.

What seems to me to be the best option is an Isuzu 4JB1 engine with turbo and intercooler. It looks like this engine was in the overseas Rodeo and Amigo (or MU), so it should be a close fit for the Viacross. The 4JB1 has a beter reputation than the more current 3.1 L diesel (Bighorn, etc), it uses less fuel and it is still standard equipment in Bobcats, skid steers, etc so I'm hoping I could get parts without too much trouble. I'd like have an automatic transmission that uses the TOD, but I'm not sure the stock transmission will handle the torque from the diesel engine.

This is where all of you come in. I need advice, thoughts & comments on this engine choice, what I should use for the transmission, where I can find a reasonably priced engine, transmission, etc. Has anyone on this forum successfully done a diesel swap? Am I a complete idiot for taking this project on?

This is the type engine I was thinking about using:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Used-Japanese-Isuzu-Diesel-Engine-4JB1-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ009QQit emZ190166499790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I can't tell you how glad I am that this VX community exists. One of the reasons I'm taking this on is because you all are such an amazing base of knowledge and helpfulness.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Santa Fe, NM

Triathlete
11/05/2007, 12:00 PM
I can't tell you how glad I am that this VW community exists. Thanks in advance,

Dave
Santa Fe, NM

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

etlsport
11/05/2007, 12:00 PM
Dave,

I would start by sending PMs to joe black and kpaske, they are the two i remember being most serious about a diesel swap and iirc kpaske actually started collecting parts for the swap before deciding to sell his vx

tom4bren
11/05/2007, 12:58 PM
"I'd like have an automatic transmission that uses the TOD, but I'm not sure the stock transmission will handle the torque from the diesel engine."

The TOD is probably where we lose so much of our efficiency (gas mileage). I like the TOD so would probably keep it too but if your main goal is improved efficiency, you may want to consider swapping to an operator selectable transfer case.

If you're going to keep the TOD, I'd keep the tranny too. As long as you won't be pushing the beastie to the limit, I don't think the torque will be an issue (IMHO).

I think I'd be worried more about the computer. How in the 1134 are you going to handle all of the sensor outputs??? I'll be the first to commend you for going green but you're biting off more than most of us would be willing.

JHarris1385
11/05/2007, 01:06 PM
This is going to be an interesting thread. My commute to work just doubled (and a little more) from about 10-16 minutes to around 35-40. So iv begun to think about making mine more economical or maybe just not selling my other auto and driving it on a daily basis, but again I cant stand not driving the VX. So maybe I will deraise (lower it to stock) and see if there is much of an increase in mpg. All in tall if this works out and is not >$5000 I could be game. Tysamigo does have plans for going full electric in 2 years or so.

ZEUS
11/05/2007, 01:13 PM
I am a believer of one-stop shopping when it comes to swaps. I know you would rather not use the bighorn but lookie here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-96-ISUZU-TROOPER-BIGHORN-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-4JG2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ018QQite mZ280170383112QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Of course, it would be even better to have the entire vehicle with computers, senders, and preassembly. Taking a carcass AND a donor vehicle to someone is the most efficient way to get the job done, IMO. I would suggest talking to a shop near you and asking them if they would even take on such a project, then question them on specifics to see what you are up against.

tom4bren
11/05/2007, 01:38 PM
JHarris - Welcome to my commute nightmare (45 miles & 1-3 hours each way, prolly why I've become such a procrastinator).

"So maybe I will deraise (lower it to stock) and see if there is much of an increase in mpg."

Lowering your vehicle won't help with gas mileage unless you put whimpy rubber on to match. Lifts are almost always accompanied by taller & more agressive tires. That's what kills your mileage. The taller tires effectively lowers your gear ratio & the more agressive tread increases the rolling friction. The only thing lowering the vehicle will do is MAYBE increase your aerodynamics & MAYBE decrease the friction at the CV joints (neither will be measurable differences). IMHO - it would be a waste of time.

Chopper
11/05/2007, 06:37 PM
The mix and match route is the toughest. Dump the tranny, and TOD too. The easy route , is to go with a donor vehicle, and transplant the entire driveline.

uncle_asa
11/05/2007, 07:13 PM
My dream is to get JDM Isuzu's Mu and Vehicross and put Vehicross body on top of Mu driveline and frame (actually the frame is the same, but from the terms of registration of the vehicle it is easier in Russia). I believe you will need almost complete donor for this project: computer, wirings, engine, transmission... You know, after that all you hardly will care about MPG :)

Joe_Black
11/05/2007, 07:38 PM
I'd stay away from the 4JB1 as that's an 80's era diesel from the 1st-gen Trooper and even with the intercooled turbo it's not very well suited for the VX. The 4JG2 is what you want to look for, and you can find them typically complete with auto or manual trannys. I haven't yet seen one with TOD, but the unit from the 3.5DI Axioms and Rodeos should be up to task since they came with the beefier Aisin auto and 2WD selectable TOD unit. From what I've seen in the JDM service manuals it should mate right up, but you'll likely need to get a custom controller as the tranny's shift points are set up for gas. Personally I'd go manual to get the most performance, but you'd still likely need a custom adapter to retain TOD. At least the VX has a place to hang the clutch pedal! Advance Adapters may be a good place to query if you intend to keep TOD. Steer cleer of the 4JX1 as it's a common-rail mill and as such needs an ECU to run, whereas the 4JG2 doesn't care if you've got a battery anywhere near it once started.

Definitely stay away from any engine importer where they show photos of the engines sitting on concrete. If it's not on an engine carrier or pallet you could end up replacing not only the sump and pan but any number of ancillary components that were crushed or ripped off in shipping and handling.

The last time I went on a serious 4JG2 shopping expedition there was only one decent place in Japan and several breakers in the UK with fair pricing and good selection. That was two years ago but I ended up spending the funds putting our daughter into private school instead and now daily drive a Mk5 Jetta TDI while my wife uses the VX for her daily 20 mile work/school circuit. I still plan the convert as I believe a diesel VX would pretty much dominate ANY gasser VX. ;) Not to mention I can't make gasoline but will soon be cranking out quite a bit of B100.

Good luck, keep us informed and be sure to do plenty of research before making the drivetrain purchase. There's absolutely no substitute for a well thought-out plan when it comes to vehicle builds as the details make all the difference when things start lining up, and that's definitely the better alternative to sitting in a garage full of worthless parts with an empty wallet and broken dreams.

dforester
11/05/2007, 09:02 PM
Alright, already some good thoughts and suggestions.

tom4bren: You're right about the auto and the TOD. Plus I really like driving a stick. One of my main reasons for doing this is mpg, so that makes the most sense. Joe Black, what would a custom adapter to keep the TOD for a manual transmission entail?

Zeus & JoeBlack- I think this is an even better solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280170384684

But, WOW does that cost some money. Has anyone out there seen half cuts for less? Does anyone have any experience with an imported half cut? My fear with the 4JG2 is that I will have a tough time finding parts for it, and that it really won't gain me much in the mpg department. Joe what is your estimate for an improvement in mpg with this engine? And while I'm at it, what was the ballpark price you came up with when you were shopping for a 4JG2? All the reading I've done on the internet suggests that the 2.8 is a better built engine, plus the lack of parts thing...

There's a place in Wales that is dropping 2.8s into Troopers:
http://www.mbs4x4.co.uk/engine.php
and I've gotta think there is a reason they are using this engine instead of the 3.1.

And then there's this site on using an NPR motor:
http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/
I used to drive an NPR and it was a great truck. What are the chances that one of those could get shoehorned in a Viacross?

Billy- well, at least I got one of the letters right. Sorry about that, it was an end of the day, my brain is dead typing gaff. Hopefully I can be forgiven.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback, the suggestions and the brainstorming. Keep it coming!!

Dave

Triathlete
11/05/2007, 09:34 PM
No worries....just ruffling your feathers a little!:bwgr:

Ldub
11/06/2007, 04:57 AM
I know a guy who has an 86 Trooper Turbo D for sale in MN...almost 47 HP & high twenties for mileage. Not the fastest vehicle on the planet, but still chuggin' along with well over 100,000 miles on the clock.
Yes, it's the little red Trooper that could & for $900.00, it's yours.;)

Piotr
11/06/2007, 07:35 AM
Hi,

http://moto.allegro.pl/item264113261_opel_monterey_isuzu_trooper_3_0dtl_1 60km.html

If You think aboout diesel maybe this engine would be better than old and week 2.8 and 3.1 engines. There are many diesels here in Europe.

regards

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 08:47 AM
Alright, already some good thoughts and suggestions.

Zeus & JoeBlack- I think this is an even better solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280170384684

But, WOW does that cost some money. Has anyone out there seen half cuts for less? Does anyone have any experience with an imported half cut?

DaveI saw that one yesterday after I posted but didn't understand what a half cut was :confused: I have never heard of that. Did you figure it out?

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 03:17 PM
A "half-cut" is where you literally receive one half of a cut-in-half vehicle, so you'd get everything in that half like the driveline, suspension, hopefully the electronics and such. That's not too bad a price if it's already here and convenient to go get, at least the engine would have the mounts, harness, accessories and should be somewhat protected by the rest of the truck.

Piotr, that 3.0L is the dreaded 4JX1 which is absolutely the last diesel you want to be looking at. Ask any Australian Isuzu enthusiast about it and they'll either roll their eyes or admit to being some kind of weird masochistic diesel fetishist.

As for mileage with the 4JG2, it should be in the mid twenties. But remember, going diesel isn't necessarily about economy so much as it's about using a more environmentally friendly fuel you can brew at home, should you so desire. If you go with the 4JB1 you'll see less as you'll be working it to death in the VX. Go drive an '84 Diesel VW Rabbit and if you like that go with the 4JB1. The NPR motor is the 4BD2 and is quite popular with the light-truck crowd, but is just too heavy for the VX. You'll kill the handling and would have far too many suspension mods and clearance issues. One thing you have to remember is that all Isuzu diesels have industrial counterparts and Isuzu is very, very big on drawing from the common parts bin which translates to good parts interchange.

Another thing: How much of a diesel mechanic are you? If you aren't at least a fairly competent one now, you better have some extremely deep pockets. Diesel mechanics see dollars flying past at warp speed when someone wanders in with this kind of project.

dforester
11/06/2007, 03:27 PM
I know a guy who has an 86 Trooper Turbo D for sale in MN...almost 47 HP & high twenties for mileage. Not the fastest vehicle on the planet, but still chuggin' along with well over 100,000 miles on the clock.

Ldub, which engine does it have in it? What is your sense of how the Viacross would handle with this diesel in it? How much heavier is the Viacross than that generation Trooper? The $900 price is sure attractive, certainly compared to the $4500 half cut.

Ldub
11/06/2007, 03:44 PM
Ldub, which engine does it have in it? What is your sense of how the Viacross would handle with this diesel in it? How much heavier is the Viacross than that generation Trooper? The $900 price is sure attractive, certainly compared to the $4500 half cut.

I don't know the specific model # of the engine, but it's an 86 Trooper turbo diesel, so whatever was available that year in 4 cyl. diesel if that's of any help.
Maybe someone more familiar than I will chime in with any swapability issues.
I wasn't kidding about less than 50 HP, it's comfortable cruising speed is 60-65. On the other hand, my friend that owns it gets a little nervous when anywhere near the redline.(about 3500 RPM iirc)

dforester
11/06/2007, 03:59 PM
As for mileage with the 4JG2, it should be in the mid twenties. But remember, going diesel isn't necessarily about economy so much as it's about using a more environmentally friendly fuel you can brew at home, should you so desire. One thing you have to remember is that all Isuzu diesels have industrial counterparts and Isuzu is very, very big on drawing from the common parts bin which translates to good parts interchange.

Another thing: How much of a diesel mechanic are you? If you aren't at least a fairly competent one now, you better have some extremely deep pockets. Diesel mechanics see dollars flying past at warp speed when someone wanders in with this kind of project.

Well, I'm not much of a diesel mechanic. I've worked on a DD 4v71 & 8v71 during my bus to rv conversion phase, but these engines were probably among the world's simplest. I have a good friend here in Santa Fe that does JDM engine swaps as a sideline business and he works at a GMC dealership during the day. His estimate is around $3,000 in labor and some misc parts for an engine swap. Plus $2,500 for the Viacross and this puts me at $5,500. The $4,500 front clip puts me a bit over my budget, but that would give me a custom diesel Viacross for around $10,000, which is comparable to what most people are selling their Gas powered ones for.

Joe_Black, I hear you on the biodiesel front. I think it's the wave of the future: more sustainable than E-85 and much easier than Hydrogen. So, having an engine that will run for several 100,000 miles and runs on biodiesel (or at least B20 for now) and gets a decent mpg will work for me (my econo Subaru Forester doesn't get any better than the mid twenties and I don't complain about its gas mileage). I'll put some more energy into finding a reasonably priced 4JG2, since it is becoming clear to me that this will be the easiest swap (hey, you only had to say it a half dozen times before I got the message).

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty much as ignorant as they come, but I'm also not particularly shy about sharing what little ignorance I've managed to cure at great expense (financial, emotional, mental... You name it) to myself. A few years ago we decided as a family to do two things: Get 100% off-grid and convert as many gas-powered devices to diesel-powered devices. So far we've got one gas-powered device left and that's the VX (motorcycles don't count, yet), which is why it now does short haul and I'm doing the long driving with the TDI Jetta. But along the way there I've got a number of Ford and Caterpillar diesel tractors to care for, not to mention a Thew-Lorain dragline with a DD 4-71 and an IHC Transtar cabover with a DD 8V71. And there was the recent Mercedes diesel interest which currently numbers five cars, so if you're interested in a vintage diesel Benz... ;)

If you've got a local vocational school look into an evening diesel course if time permits. Reason is, the general rule of thumb when dealing with mechanics on "special projects" is to double their estimate and prepare for triple. Plus diesel engines are incredibly simple compared to gas, and you'll be amazed at the simple stuff you can do yourself. It will require an investment in proper tools, and you never skimp on tools! But things that your mechanic might pop a few hundred for you can usually do for just a few bucks and and hour or so of your time. Prime example is injector tuning and balance. Very important on a diesel and where you can get some good economy and performance, but it can set you back at the shop. I ended up building my own injector tester for less than $80 so now I can take 'em apart and rebuild at my leisure. Used injectors can be had cheap on eBay or craigslist, where I just picked up a set of 16 for my 6.2L CUCV. I picked up an M35A2 recently so now I can look for injectors for that as well, so I can rebuild a full set just to have on hand.

There are a lot of good resources out there, but consequently hundreds times as much misinformation. Take your time, compare and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Anyone like me can be spouting off about this or that without knowing squat to lead you down the gilded path, so check it out. ;)

mistermg
11/06/2007, 05:31 PM
:cool: I have a friend in southern N.M. with 2 86 Turbo troopers. Fantastic fuel economy. they both have over 250K without overhauls. They both have a hard time getting up and going. Even in low range 1st gear hill climing 4wheeling is not very much fun. 5th gear with the A/C in a new mexico wind makes the turbo work hard and fuel economy go down. way underpowered compared to the 4 cyl gas versions I owned for over 10 years. I do not think that engine has enough power for the VX- unless you ride around in LOW range all the time. Just my guess! The stock VX is at times underpowered some would say. SO go for as much power as u can. remember , Santa Fe is HI altitude. get it right the first time!

Rogue
11/09/2007, 09:31 AM
If you’re going to do a swap, Make it worth your while...at least.
Cummins 4BT is what I would recommend. One of the newer ones, they aren’t as loud and can produce an extreme amount of horsepower and torque.
I once swapped an ISB 24 into my 98 H1 Hummer was all tricked out.
The vehicle really rocked!
Check it out, yeppers that’s mine....

http://flashoffroad.com/features/CumminsDiesel/cummins.htm

WiSDoM
11/09/2007, 03:02 PM
nice pics but do you think it will fit?:;)

Rogue
11/10/2007, 02:15 AM
nice pics but do you think it will fit?:;)

If you get one with the side mounted turbo, a suitable tranny that you choose, electric fan.
I believe it can be done.
I will get out there this week-end and do some closer measurements.
Joe

Joe_Black
11/11/2007, 01:25 PM
The 4BT is a nice diesel and there are a lot of swaps out there, but at nearly a 1000 lbs. it's a bit hefty for an optimum VX conversion. The 4JG2 comes in under 600 lbs. and that means more than 400 lbs. you don't have to worry about dealing with in suspension and sacrificing to performance.

Research pays! ;)

Rogue
11/11/2007, 02:49 PM
4 bt is a 665lbs, ISB (6 cylinders is at 785lbs.
Just FYI...
Joe

Joe_Black
11/11/2007, 04:15 PM
That weight is basic nearly-stripped, meaning not quite what you need to run. Here is the long block weight from my Cummins shop manual, minus flywheel & accessories (starter, alternator, etc.):

CSB (Cummins Svc. Bulletin) 3666087-01
B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Section E- Engine Identification
Specifications Page E-5
General 4B Engine data

4BT= 705 pounds, 320 Kg
4BTA = 725 pounds, 329 Kg

When you get the flywheel, transmission adapter, mounts, accessories (starter, alternator, etc.) and such on there then you're over 900 lbs. and nearer a half-ton.

ZEUS
11/11/2007, 10:12 PM
Hey Joe, do you or anyone else happen to know the weight of our 3.5's?

Joe_Black
11/12/2007, 05:16 AM
The weight of the 6VE1 doesn't appear to be in the CD manual and I unfortunately do not yet have a print shop manual. But in doing some online research and contacting a few rebuilders the best answer is "about 400 lbs." in basic trim.

I'll keep my eyes open for more definitive data.

ZEUS
11/12/2007, 06:30 AM
SCHWEET! Thanks, I'll see what I can turn up too...

Chopper
11/12/2007, 03:25 PM
:laughing::laughing::dance::clap::clap:
:clap::dance::dance::laughing:He said 47 hp. Come get some!!!

Ldub
11/12/2007, 07:35 PM
:laughing::laughing::dance::clap::clap:
:clap::dance::dance::laughing:He said 47 hp. Come get some!!!

LOL...I'm glad SOMEBODY got it, it never occured to me that an engine churning out 50- HP would even be considered...:p

etlsport
11/12/2007, 07:48 PM
haha.. i just assumed you meant 147

Joe_Black
11/12/2007, 08:16 PM
It's all about the TORQUE baby! ;)

When you get into diesels it's a whole different language and mindset. Our new Mk5 Jetta is actually a mid-size car now, quite roomy and a bit on the hefty side, but the 1.9L diesel it has churns out only about 100HP and it scoots like nobody's business. Almost 200 pounds of torque make it happen. Glad I didn't get a red one! Think about it though, that's almost as much torque as our VX but at half the weight.

Best part of course was averaging 49 MPG from this last tank. :)

A local friend and Golf TDI owner met with me today about pooling our time and resources to get a biodiesel processor assembled. We've both been accumulating components and information for several years so have just about everything we need. I wasn't ever in a rush before as my plan is to grow the source oil where he's more interested in using waste vegetable oil (WVO), but if he'll collect it I'll process it. My older Mercedes will run on straight vegetable oil (SVO) but the newer diesel have to have biodiesel, and we both have PD TDI engines which have even tighter tolerances than previous TDI engines and also run higher fuel pressures.

Rogue
11/13/2007, 04:22 AM
Here is a nice place to start....

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

J

Triathlete
11/13/2007, 10:34 AM

Dub, if you guys didn't live in another world I'd be knocking on the door cash in hand. That would be a great project vehicle. 4 link and 1 ton axles, some 36 inch crawlers and a cage and it would be unstopable!

Chopper
11/13/2007, 02:58 PM
My yellow 3406 would mostly fill a pickup bed and it's only making about 450 as it sits now....but it will pull a freight train.;) Torque IS the game.

Joe_Black
11/13/2007, 05:10 PM
My yellow 3406 would mostly fill a pickup bed and it's only making about 450 as it sits now....but it will pull a freight train.;) Torque IS the game.

LOL, my 8V71 puts out about 1000 lbs and is just shy of 400HP. Then again it's a 2-stroke supercharged diesel and QUICK! :eek: You can row through the RTO-915 so fast you'd think your arm would fly out of its socket, especially since using the clutch is optional.

Ldub
12/02/2007, 07:09 PM
This may be of interest if anyone is still looking for a donor motor,saw it over on the wire...

Here's a good local deal, in Port Ludlow, WA. Just have to drive thru 6-8" of snow to get to it!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/496071645.html

"Isuzu Trooper Diesel 3.1L Turbo 4x4 and auto tranny, very nice - $3200

this Little motor was a 3.1 Liter with inercooler and Turbo. Model 4JG2 50K miles. I bought it on ebay $3500 and had it shipped to my home. I bought new glow plugs ($100) and started it up on the motor stand... she runs great. Was going to put it in a trooper but it cold quicker then I thought it would and won't have time to do the engine swap in spring...

call with questions...

Paul 360-301-9962

Port ludlow is just accross the Hood Canal bridge close to Bremerton, poulsbo, bainbridge, Port Townsend, Hadlock, Kingston, Silverdale, Sea Beck Seattle, everett, edmonds, Sequim, and Port Gamble, Tacoma. Towing 4x

If it had a 5-speed I'd seriously consider it, however the auto tranny would be a great setup for 4-Wheelin'. Tons of clean Gen I & II Troops up here in the PNW with bad engines/trannies for cheap.......ed

Joe_Black
12/02/2007, 09:01 PM
If it was off of eBay I'd definitely want to see it running before purchasing. I just cringe when I see the pictures of those poor mills sitting on concrete with half the accessories squished. :(

alanbradley
12/03/2007, 02:28 AM
It's all about the TORQUE baby! ;)

When you get into diesels it's a whole different language and mindset. Our new Mk5 Jetta is actually a mid-size car now, quite roomy and a bit on the hefty side, but the 1.9L diesel it has churns out only about 100HP and it scoots like nobody's business. Almost 200 pounds of torque make it happen. Glad I didn't get a red one! Think about it though, that's almost as much torque as our VX but at half the weight.

Best part of course was averaging 49 MPG from this last tank. :)

Please don't post these sort of things - as someone who's just agreed to trade his 50mpg Yaris diesel for a 3.2 litre petrol beast you're not helping the cognitive dissonance... :eek:

Meh, I don't do the mileage I did and diesel's 5p/litre more expensive than petrol here in the UK. Anyhow, I;ll be watching this thread with interest...

:thumbup:

Alan

Tone
12/03/2007, 06:23 AM
Sorry to be nay sayer but Posts like this rarely pan out. 40 posts already and no action taken. If they were going to do it, they would have already done so. Asking for assistance over the net on a project of this scale is questionable at best. Talk is cheap. DO it first and then TELL us about it....

ZEUS
05/27/2009, 05:17 PM
I found this interesting: http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/index.html

Joe_Black
05/27/2009, 05:29 PM
Nice link Zeus, thanks! The 4B series of Isuzu diesels are great engines but more suited for full-size pickups 3/4 ton and up as they're fairly hefty engines. I've scoped out some NPR's locally that I've been offered in trade for my Mack Midliner and it's just not suitable for the VX. The 4J series however is another ballgame as that's what came in the Trooper and Rodeo so is a bolt-up proposition. I was sooooo close to getting two of them for one of our VX's and a Trooper but putting our daughter in private school was more important. Oh well, hopefully I'll have a job in a few years! :p

Ldub
05/27/2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry to be nay sayer but Posts like this rarely pan out. 40 posts already and no action taken. If they were going to do it, they would have already done so. Asking for assistance over the net on a project of this scale is questionable at best. Talk is cheap. DO it first and then TELL us about it....

CLASSIC TONE POST!!!!...:_beer:

I Sure Miss You Dude...:heart:

Joe_Black
05/27/2009, 09:55 PM
Wait, you recommended the 4BD2-TC as a good swapper before, didn't you? That was part of my basis for posting that link; what did you figure out? It's just too heavy for the VX?

Funnily enough, I was looking for swap ideas for the CUCV and stumbled upon that link, referenced it here, and what do ya know, the only other CUCV/VX owner is the 1st to notice! Do ya think the 4BD2 is a decent candidate for the CUCV? I have a 700R4 that I think will bolt up although it is a 2wd unit so I would have to have a divorced t-case as well. My other choices are a Banks Turbo kit or perhaps a Cummins 4BT... Been leaning toward the Banks but thought I would check out some options. I'll have to change my screen name to IDon'tKnowWhatIWantEither! :p

Yeah, it's just too heavy for our torsion bar suspension. :( Great engine though, although the more I learn about the 4JG2 the more I like it. I mean, it's not like Isuzu makes bad diesels, right? Of course the folks in Oz are getting their flame-typing gloves on to skewer me about the 4JX1!

A while back I picked up a Silverado minus engine as a cab donor for my M1028 and it came with a freshly built 700R4. It's tempting but I'm going to hold out for Kodiak/Top Kick 5-speed manual, that way I get the best of both worlds. Once I'm done putting a flatbed on my Mack I'm hoping to finally do the cab swap on the M1028 and put it back on the road. Too many projects!

don moore
05/28/2009, 07:24 AM
hmmmmmmm....ok

TheGanzman
05/28/2009, 08:27 AM
Not relevant to diesel conversion, but my longterm plan is to eventually convert mine to two wheel drive and 100% electric - much like the RAV4's that Toyota built several years ago. The VX - sans rear seat - makes the PERFECT candidate for an electric conversion. Lots of room behind the seats for a battery bank, full frame construction, (already) heavy duty suspension, and ultimately, a good roof platform for solar panels. The battery technology is getting better/cheaper/faster quite quickly. Look for substantial "energy credit(s)" - especially here in California - in the coming years, as we continue efforts to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. It was all part of my "master plan" in actually picking the VX in the first place; I'm looking forward to this project in a few years!:bgwg:

Joe_Black
05/28/2009, 10:30 AM
The weight of the VX is the killer in an all-electric application since mass is the enemy of efficiency. My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon: unibody construction for light-weight strength, plenty of room, phenomenal underbody space for simple full length drop-down battery trays to optimize balance and lower CG, existing transaxle for simple bolt-up motor mounting with existing electric systems (either AC with regen or DC), and best of all you can make a "safari roof" of solar panels the full length of the Vanagon to not only provide supplmenary power and off-grid charge but passive cooling just like on older Land Rovers. You could even get radical and use two motors with a Vanagon Synchro for AWD!

vt_maverick
05/28/2009, 08:00 PM
... My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon...

Wow, that's a pretty sexy fantasy there... :p :laughy:

But hey, get it right and this could be you:

http://www.vanagon.com/media/syncro/img/syncro_brochure_4.jpg

eternal21
04/23/2012, 03:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-4JG2-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-3-1L-FR-BIGHORN-4GJ2-ENGINE-ISUZU-DIESEL-/270960692215?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16840bf7&vxp=mtr

Triathlete
04/23/2012, 05:10 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-4JG2-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-3-1L-FR-BIGHORN-4GJ2-ENGINE-ISUZU-DIESEL-/270960692215?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16840bf7&vxp=mtr

Thats a pretty good deal considering it has the tranny, tcase, wire harness, computer and front drive shaft. :)

vt_maverick
04/23/2012, 07:17 PM
Hard to say it's a good deal if they don't list the mileage...

Triathlete
04/23/2012, 07:57 PM
True
Should have said potentially a good deal :)

eternal21
04/23/2012, 10:05 PM
Hard to say it's a good deal if they don't list the mileage...

It's a JDM engine, so I'm making an educated guess that the mileage is ~50k or less. I'm more surprised to see the MT than I am the engine, TBHWY.

vt_maverick
04/24/2012, 11:50 AM
Your Swap comes with :
Engine
At transmission

What you're seeing in the picture is the 4WD shift lever, not the 5-speed lever.

PK
04/24/2012, 04:02 PM
Our experience here in Aussie, is to avoid the 3.1L diesel engine if you can.
The earlier 2.8L diesel turbo makes the same amount of power if the fuel pump is tweaked, and is far more reliable, uses less fuel, and has less turbo failures.

PK

vt_maverick
04/24/2012, 06:36 PM
But can it be mated to the AR-5?

vt_maverick
04/24/2012, 06:42 PM
And what do you know about the 4JX1 3.0L diesel? According to Wikipedia it superseded the 4JG2 3.1L in 1998 but was more "problematic."

subject47
04/27/2012, 10:13 PM
200 tdi or the 300 tdi wouldn't be to bad but might run you a lil bit more cash.

they are the 4 cyl diesels out of the range rovers, I have been eye balling them for a while.

http://www.landroverimport.com/contact.html
here is a link to a sight that got me interested in the motor but I'm sure they can be found cheaper than that.

subject47
04/28/2012, 05:20 AM
so I got an email back from http://www.landroverimport.com

a good used 300 tdi with auto trans and transfer radiator, oil cooler, and intercooler would be 4k and a rebuilt would be 6k

imfraeglasgow
05/20/2012, 12:23 AM
The weight of the VX is the killer in an all-electric application since mass is the enemy of efficiency. My fantasy electric is a VW Vanagon: unibody construction for light-weight strength, plenty of room, phenomenal underbody space for simple full length drop-down battery trays to optimize balance and lower CG, existing transaxle for simple bolt-up motor mounting with existing electric systems (either AC with regen or DC), and best of all you can make a "safari roof" of solar panels the full length of the Vanagon to not only provide supplmenary power and off-grid charge but passive cooling just like on older Land Rovers. You could even get radical and use two motors with a Vanagon Synchro for AWD!

Hey man I just bought my first VX, thinking of doing a swap. I found this guy with a 97 4bd2 with 37,000 miles witha jatco and he was asking 4500. Has all the accessories for going in an isuzu box truck and what not. I was just curious if it will be a eligible swap. A lot of people say the 4bdt1 is the way to go but from what I've read the d2 is pretty much the same. I am also thinking a northstar swap, what transmission would you suggest if I was to go the v8 route?
Thanks

taylorRichie
05/20/2012, 06:38 AM
When I was dong research I disovered this: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?81-Kurt-s-94-Isuzu-Trooper-4BT-Conversion

Closest I could find. I also spoke with a local builder who was wrapping up a 4BT in a Land cruiser. The biggest issue with these engines is that they are much taller than even a small block V8. But they're the perfect engine for a VX IMO. :) Good luck!

badsykes
08/21/2012, 01:05 PM
Hello
I am not owning a VX but i have a Frontera (Rodeo) sport 2.0i petrol..I love the VX but the mpg and taxes in my country are kinda big for > 3000+ engine
A 2.8L diesel engine should from fronteras should be nice ?.. My mechanic skills are very low...
Btw i am from Europe..