PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Fans of the VX Community living us.

CoastieCosta567
11/03/2007, 08:56 PM
:(Hey all you guys, i dont know if u guys know this, but i just checked the autotrader to see how many VX's are for sale, and come to surprise me, there are a handfull of VX members from this site that are selling there babies. I don't know about you guys but when i saw that it really made me sad, kinda like if the VX world is coming to an end. I know thats sounds like a bowl of 5h!t, but i'm being real here, go check the autotrader website and see for your self, and tell me if u feel sad about it. I know if i had a 5h!t load of cash i would buy all the VX's i can and colloct most of them, so they don't fall in the wrong hands. go check it out, i think it's fraken sad as hell. " Sorry for the MISS SPELLING ON THE TOPIC" (Living=Leaving)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=94949&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=ISU&model=VEHICROSS&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2008&min_price=&max_price=&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=1194148831841

Ldub
11/04/2007, 04:05 AM
The only thing in life you can ever count on for sure is change.;)

Though I personally prefer folding money...

CrnCnn
11/04/2007, 05:15 AM
Look at it this way....

Maybe the new owner will sign up here and we will make new believers.

Plus this makes me sad for me.... I cant afford another one.

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/04/2007, 05:29 AM
As Ldub says...people get married..have kids..let's face it..life demands change. The VX isn't exactly the family truckster. The wife's not gonna want to take the soccer team to the field in the VX. Many families can't afford multiple vehicles that aren't totally versatile; or multiple vehicles period.

My buddy got rid of his ebony VX because the wife complained about the bad gas mileage (he says they got 10mpg) and traded it in for a new mitsubishi eclipse that gets 24 mpg. He is bitter about his ownership experience. We usually don't talk VX's anymore as he tends to fling criticisms that tend to get me hot under the collar. Last one he made was "I think that vehicle was up to the standards of those made in the 70's."

In all honesty..this is the longest I've ever hung on to any one vehicle...coming up on 8 years of ownership! I've always gotten bored and moved on with prior vehicles.

Scott Harness
11/04/2007, 06:24 AM
I've had many vehicles in my life and this my favorite. Idon't want to get rid of it, but I'm getting worried about finding parts. Keeping it for now!!

biju
11/04/2007, 06:30 AM
especially when rail caps go for 450+!

heh.

i agree with the 'change' comments. for some, it's inevitable - albeit a bit sad to see some go.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
11/04/2007, 10:22 AM
It is a very, very wierd thing, change, but it is 100% natural. Just for example, I collected gas masks like a crazy maniac for about 12 years. During this time, I would have never even thought about giving up the hobby. I was 100% dedicated and 100% immersed in it. But then I moved across the country, and this set off a chain reaction of change for me. Basically, the closing of one book and the opening of another.

I once read somewhere that people do things in seven year cycles. I thought that was interesting...I guess they call it the 7 year itch... :) If you bought a VX in 2001, then your time might be up ;)

Luckily for my wife I still love her after over 15 years of being together.

That said, some things change. Some things never change.

C'est la vie.

Bart

VehiX
11/04/2007, 10:55 AM
I bought my VX in 2001. Thought about selling it a few months ago when I moved to Hawaii.

Came to my senses since then and decided to have it shipped out to me.

The thought of driving anything else made me cringe!

VX'er for life here! :)

Chopper
11/04/2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah.....'01 buyer....yeah, 7 year itch. All kinds of stuff looks good to me right now. Wrangler unlimited...in particular....new 1 series in general

nfpgasmask
11/04/2007, 03:50 PM
See, that's the thing. Even WITH the desire to change, there just isn't a "better" option or a "comparable" option to the VX.

I suppose the ONLY option to a VX would be a nice new Rubicon, and despite the fact that the new Rubicons are really, really nice looking and super capable and all that, they just don't compare to look and feel of the VehiCROSS. So, one is left with only one option, to keep the VX.

Unless of course you are in need of something totally different or more practical.

To me, the only thing that really annoys me about the VX is its voracious appetite for gas and oil...other than that, its perfect for me.

Bart

I bought my VX in 2001. Thought about selling it a few months ago when I moved to Hawaii.

VXD959
11/04/2007, 04:39 PM
Also, as we age, we might want to save our kidney, bladder, liver, etc...plus get a little quiter ride. Let's face it: the VX is not a family-friendly vehicle, it's a bumpy ride, not very user friendly (rear view, gas cap, access to back seat). Most of us like it due to its unique design, and off road capabilities.

I use my VX as a daily driver (about 12 miles to work). I got it for a good price ($9,000 @ 48K miles), I don't have a car payment and pay liability insurance only. What other cool vehicle can I get for this?

My wife has a company car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and that's what we use for most of our weekend/travel/etc. driving. So again, to our benefit.

I have several options:
1.-Sell the VX when parts are difficult and expensive to find. I think that Isuzu is obligated to make parts for this car for 10 years?
2.- Keep it as a collectible in my garage and buy me another truck/suv
3.- Give it to my son when he turns 16 (he's 9 years old now)

Bottom line, The VX tends to get old once you own it for a 2-3 years. Just yesterday one of my best friends came to pick me up in a brand new 2008 Mercedes ML500 AMG. What a sweet ride! Very tempting....

By the way, my friends refer to my VX as a "teenager" car and ask me when I'm going to mature and buy me a real "man" car. I always respond: you wish you could have a vehicle as rare as the VX and pay under $10K for it. I rather be considered a teenager and don't pay a $499-$700 note every month plus full coverage insurance.

Then there's silence....I wonder if they go to Autotrader afterward trying to find a good VX deal...

CoastieCosta567
11/04/2007, 06:43 PM
i understand what all you guys are saying and i agree, but i love the vx and i love the attention this thing gets more then others on the road, plus the main thing that gets me made is, i wish i can have one vx of each color sitting in a nice glass showrrom in my house, if i had 1. but of course thats a dream and maybe one day, but till then, it makes me sad seeing go to other hands and maybe they will go to the wrong hands and turn out in junk yards waiting to be melted or parted out. I'm in the Coast gaurd and as many know, living a militery life, u don't really make that much cash. but i had 3 cars, the VX, my wife couger, and a 280Z datsun, and i could offord it, but i simply never used the datsun and got ride of it. i just think people want to buy new things all the time. and thats the problem. i guess if u just save a little then u can just own more then 2 cars and does not mean u have to go and buy a $30K car every time, buying a used 1 is as good some times. well all i'm saying it sucks to see our VX's go in diffrent hands, I kjow we all want change and thats life and reality, but it just simply sucks, thats all. But i'm Happy with MINE even though its a pain in the *** half the time, I LOVE IT :rolleyes:.

circmand
11/04/2007, 06:56 PM
Most are duplicates and the poster is illiterate. Whoever is the poster should be eliminated from posting. I bet it is a car salesman trying to sell some of the VX's on the site. He should at lest lesrn to spell

JHarris1385
11/04/2007, 07:54 PM
Most are duplicates and the poster is illiterate. Whoever is the poster should be eliminated from posting. I bet it is a car salesman trying to sell some of the VX's on the site. He should at lest lesrn to spell

Im lost with that?

nocturnalVX
11/04/2007, 08:24 PM
The VX is more than a vehicle to some. We are fanatical, obsessive, and addicted to a unique ride... and then we find ourselves part of a family of like-minded folks! I barely rode my motorcycles (plural) this year because, when it came down to it, I wanted to enjoy the VehiCROSS. Unfortunately, things change, VXes get wrecked (::: knock on wood:::), or whatever, but those that can will keep them as long as possible. Hopefully, more than a few VXes will be rescued from bad homes and go to someone like us. The VX community will change, but there will ALWAYS be the die-hard fans! :thumbup:
:_steering

CrnCnn
11/04/2007, 08:28 PM
I barely rode my motorcycles (plural) this year because, when it came down to it, I wanted to enjoy the VehiCROSS.

I agree, so much in fact a guy should be buying my bike tomorrow.

VXIRONwoMAN
11/04/2007, 08:35 PM
The reason some of the VX's are for sale are because of people like me and my situation. I had my Ironman for quite some time, my Dad really wanted it so I made a deal with him... If he could find a Proton for me and buy it, we would trade. And that is exactly what we did. He gave me the money to purchase my beloved Proton (which is more loved and cared for than it ever could have imagined :)) which is used for what it is meant to do...well eventually when Moab comes around...:p, and my gorgeous Ironman went to my Dad who treats the Ironman like a queen. The Ironman is pretty and polished 24/7. So I guess the answer you are looking for is simply some VX's are sold so more obsessive family members can be added to the VX community and help save this dying breed.

vxDAKINECHICvx
11/04/2007, 09:08 PM
Well my input is this....
I wanted a VX since they first came out at an auto show but couldn't afford it till last year. I absolutley LOVE the vx, other than the problems I have with it, but it still makes me smile when it comes right down to it. BUT for me its not practical at all, though I try to make it. I've looked at the murano, fx35, etc but deep down I know if and when I purchase something new I will be completely heartbroken. The vx is definitely a beloved/fun car, but practicality is becoming more of what I truly need as my life grows......

cyronman
11/04/2007, 09:17 PM
And there quite possibly could be hundreds of VX owners out there that don't know/care about the forum, but enjoy their VX just as much and will keep it as long as possible.

Now all we gotta do is find'em and MAKE'em join us here :evil2:

technocoy
11/04/2007, 11:17 PM
pffft.

My VX will never be sold. Period. It's getting on 70,000 now and I figure in about another 10,000 it'll be getting a total spit and polish and a really nice car cover since it is going to become a pampered weekend baby.

I've loved her since I first set eyes on the concept and prayed they made the car.

She's paid off and it would be of no use to me to get rid of my dream SUV. I will have other cars, but the VX won't be going anywhere. Such a rare thing is amazing for me to be able to own for the cheap 17 grand I paid 4 years ago.

There are few cars that I find as unique and lovable as the VX.

As I become more environmentally minded, I'll get a nice gas-sipper for practicality get the wife a nice car that works for the kids and drive the VX when I want some fun or need the extra HP.

I do understand those that need the cash, but at some point unless it really takes off as a collectable, the value of having this rare girl FAR outweighs the few thousand I will be able to get for her in a few years.

johnnyapollo
11/05/2007, 06:47 AM
I'm with technocopy. I wish I had some additional parking space for a gas-sipper though.

-- John

WormGod
11/05/2007, 07:40 AM
I will be honest, I have been considering selling mine.

I will ONLY sell to a member here though. I dont trust just anyone with the money to take possession. If and when it happens, it will be posted here. :(

tom4bren
11/05/2007, 07:53 AM
I made my wife wait entirely too long for her Proton. We three anticipate a long and happy life together. I can't imagine a better set up than the Proton with matching SeaDoos behind & my beautiful wife in the passenger seat. I can live with the gas mileage since the VX is insured for PLEASURE use only.

'Sides, I have to maintain my reputation for keeping vehicles WAY beyond their useful life (case in point - 93 TLC still in use with 1/4 million miles on it).

I just need to start designing the hoist mechanism to lift my sorry arse into a lifted VX when I get old & feeble (sp?).

Dino
11/05/2007, 08:22 AM
Fun to drive but a pain in the asss at the pump!

Can't wait to sell mine and do other things with the money I save!!!

As far as getting attention with my car... I got over that need years ago. I want utilitarian but frugal on the gas.

VX4EJR
11/05/2007, 08:44 AM
sorry, I get the message here about people selling their VX's etc etc etc..., but don't understand the title of this thread....?? what is the english translation?

nfpgasmask
11/05/2007, 09:59 AM
This is turning out to be a funny thread.

I got $8000 left on my VX note. As soon as it is paid off, I will buy another vehicle that is good on gas for commuting. The VX stays in the garage. There is no need to sell such a beautiful, one of a kind vehicle if I don't have to.

Bart

ZEUS
11/05/2007, 12:49 PM
sorry, I get the message here about people selling their VX's etc etc etc..., but don't understand the title of this thread....?? what is the english translation?

Why is the VX community breaking down? Why are the fans of the VX leaving us? Why are so many people in this fine VX community leaving us by selling their VX's, never to look back again?

LittleBeast
11/05/2007, 01:28 PM
Why is the VX community breaking down? Why are the fans of the VX leaving us? Why are so many people in this fine VX community leaving us by selling their VX's, never to look back again?

Yes but the exact title reads : "Why are the Fans of the VX Community living us." Two problems are this is a question and should have a question mark and "living" is probably supposed to be "leaving". Yeah the title makes no sense as it is, but we know what was intended and the subjects of the replies supports this.

I believe the intended title would read : "Why are the Fans of the VX Community LEAVING us?"

As for me I have thought about selling the VX especially after spending $4k on the transmission but each time I drive it and people stare or give it nicknames like the moon buggy or the halo car it just makes the car worth hanging onto.

cyronman
11/05/2007, 02:01 PM
Is this anybody's on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-VehiCROSS-TOD-ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE-NO-OTHER-LIKE-IT-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6270QQihZ012QQitemZ2 20168515341QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)?

etlsport
11/05/2007, 02:10 PM
its member vicenteclark... he/she registered in '04 and never posted.. (looked up the vin #)

Y33TREKker
11/05/2007, 02:23 PM
The following two statements just about cover my thoughts regarding my own VX. Although unlike nfp, I don't think the Porsche 928 I want to purchase once the VX is payed off will be all that great for mpg's. ;) I have another car that I bought new quite a few years ago, (for pretty much the same reason I bought the VX - I just liked the styling ) that gets decent mileage, so that one will most likely turn into the daily driver.

I got $8000 left on my VX note. As soon as it is paid off, I will buy another vehicle that is good on gas for commuting. The VX stays in the garage. There is no need to sell such a beautiful, one of a kind vehicle if I don't have to.

As for me I have thought about selling the VX....but each time I drive it and people stare or give it nicknames like the moon buggy or the halo car it just makes the car worth hanging onto.

ZEUS
11/05/2007, 02:48 PM
Yes but the exact title reads : "Why are the Fans of the VX Community living us." Two problems are this is a question and should have a question mark and "living" is probably supposed to be "leaving". Yeah the title makes no sense as it is, but we know what was intended and the subjects of the replies supports this.

I believe the intended title would read : "Why are the Fans of the VX Community LEAVING us?"
Thanks, Teach. And I thought I was anal! ;)

pbkid
11/05/2007, 03:03 PM
just thought i would add my 2 cents on this since i think i might be added to that category again soon...i was for a short while, then changed my mind, but im leaning back the other way...i found a gorgeous 02 wrx with about 10-15 in upgrades for 14,500...the way i figure it, maybe sell whats left of my vx for like 3-4k....that will give me enough money for the down payment on the wrx...it just makes more sence..around the same gas milage but i get turbo, 4 doors and probably more of a dependable car in the long run ...i dont have much faith in the vx reliability considering the amount of vx's going up for sale as blown motors exactly like mine...........
jack

CoastieCosta567
11/05/2007, 03:28 PM

:confused:I don't know where you tried to go with that? But thank you for Calling me an "IDIOT", don't know why some1 would say something like that for no reason, but really thank you. pffffffff. oh and the bottom sentance goes to you too.

and about my spelling I'm sorry I'm not from here, I'm Coasta Rican, but i know every1 with a logical mind can come up that i missed spelled it wrong, and brush off the bad spelling and post their opinion with out trying to make some 1 sound like and "IDIOT".

But hey, all i wanted to do is talk about an important subject involving not just our fellow VX's but our VX family as well, and i was a little sad to see some great fans just "leave" us. I will never sell my VX, what is a few grand gonna give me back in return. I think keeping a rare beautiful vehical is more important then just a down payment for a new car that in just 1 year or less will blend in with the crowd. or extra cash that will be blown away and u will probley never see it again or u just didn't know where the cash went. I hope the new VX members will turn like us and love the VX for what it is no matter the problems it will bring in the future. And every year that passes by the VX just gets better and better. I Love My VX and thats it, will never get rid of it, unless a life depeneds on it, thats all.:)

Cobrajet
11/05/2007, 03:35 PM

As far as getting attention with my car... I got over that need years ago. I want utilitarian but frugal on the gas.
Thanks, Dino.

It's owners like you that made muscle cars affordable to the little guys like me back in the 70s. I acquired my worn out Torino Cobra in '76 when everybody was jumping ship for 4-cylinder imports. It was my daily driver for 15 years. It more than earned it's place in my garage.

In 1993 it was "retired", and I started driving the old '82 Mustang GT every day. In 1998 I lent that to my daughter and drove a Lincoln Mk8 LSC, until I traded that in on the VX. SOOOO, the VX was my first "economy car". I never calculated gas mileage, and never will. (OK, it's been ~17 the last 5 tanks.)

I drive what I like, and I like the VX. There is nothing to compare. I did shop around for a REAL economy car last year, but then started working from home more than commuting. Didn't make sense to buy another car. Plus, I never found anything that tripped my trigger like the VX.

Will I ever sell my VX... maybe. But, like WormGod, it will be to someone who truly appreciates this fine automobile!

nfpgasmask
11/05/2007, 03:50 PM
The following two statements just about cover my thoughts regarding my own VX. Although unlike nfp, I don't think the Porsche 928 I want to purchase once the VX is payed off will be all that great for mpg's. ;) I have another car that I bought new quite a few years ago, (for pretty much the same reason I bought the VX - I just liked the styling ) that gets decent mileage, so that one will most likely turn into the daily driver.

Well, you see, this is actually a "problem" for me too. Right now, between my wife and I, we have the VX and that's it. I want to keep the VX as a collector car and buy something more "green" to commute in. But when it comes down to it, I am faced with the following problems:

1) Within the next few months, I should be the proud owner of my "other" dream car, a XB Ford Falcon Coupe. As for gas consumption, I better stop thinking about it and just deal. :)

2) My wife wants a car. You know what she wants? A Porsche 928 or 968. Not exactly green either, or at best, not cheap to maintain. Of course, it would be nice if she wanted a practicle commuter car, but I can't blame her when she says, "why can't I have a cool car too". So, if things go right, I will have a fleet of black vehicles consisting of my beloved VX, a black on black Falcon "Interceptor" and a shiny black Porsche 928 or 968. Two people, 3 cars. At this point a practical commuter car will be a moot point.

3) And oh yeah, I shouldn't forget about my black 2000 Xterra that is still sitting in storage with a blown motor in Chicago...:confused:

Bart

EDIT: PS - You only live once, why drive a Tercel when you can drive a VX? (or a Porsche or a Falcon?)

mbeach
11/05/2007, 04:02 PM
...i found a gorgeous 02 wrx with about 10-15 in upgrades for 14,500...and probably more of a dependable car in the long run ...i dont have much faith in the vx reliability considering the amount of vx's going up for sale as blown motors exactly like mine...........
jack

I sold a gorgeous '02 WRX with $15k in upgrades to buy my first VehiCross.
Just a hint, those of us who actually shoved that much $$$ under our hoods didn't exactly drive like grannies.
I figure that my 50k mile WRX had about 10k left on the tranny. It was a repair looking for a person to pay it.

See my post in General. I'm sickened that my VXs are gone. They were the perfect vehicle for 90% of my driving up here.
But the decision to sell them came down to two very critical needs:
No VX can touch my Duramax when it comes to hauling building supplies or 500g of water. So there goes the Dragon...
No VX is as fast and safe as the ML55 for the new baby, so there went the Ironman...

Oh well, at least I took pictures of them.

Chopper
11/05/2007, 05:17 PM

Good luck to ya.....I see a Honda Civic in your near future my friend.

Chopper
11/05/2007, 05:43 PM
just thought i would add my 2 cents on this since i think i might be added to that category again soon...i was for a short while, then changed my mind, but im leaning back the other way...i found a gorgeous 02 wrx with about 10-15 in upgrades for 14,500...the way i figure it, maybe sell whats left of my vx for like 3-4k....that will give me enough money for the down payment on the wrx...it just makes more sense..around the same gas mileage but i get turbo, 4 doors and probably more of a dependable car in the long run ...i don't have much faith in the vx reliability considering the amount of vx's going up for sale as blown motors exactly like mine...........
jackYOU TRIPPIN'!!!! Serious....a WRX with anything in upgrades is a wrung out, stomped on econo box with delusions of grandeur. In this playground, any bolt on is promptly "stomped on" upon instillation. Also, this thing tends to be a kiddie car, meaning, any "upgrades" were likely bolted on by the owner and his friends.....meaning.....you are buying 3000 pounds of PAIN IN YOUR *** AND POCKET assuming you can fix it:mad: Trade out if you want, but that is not the answer. Build your own hot rod if you want ...never buy someone else's . Does it have waste gates(popoffs)? If the answer is yes...your answer should be no.

Joe_Black
11/05/2007, 07:47 PM
YOU TRIPPIN'!!!! Serious....a WRX with anything in upgrades is a wrung out, stomped on econo box with delusions of grandeur. In this playground, any bolt on is promptly "stomped on" upon instillation. Also, this thing tends to be a kiddie car, meaning, any "upgrades" were likely bolted on by the owner and his friends.....meaning.....you are buying 3000 pounds of PAIN IN YOUR *** AND POCKET assuming you can fix it:mad: Trade out if you want, but that is not the answer. Build your own hot rod if you want ...never buy someone else's . Does it have waste gates(popoffs)? If the answer is yes...your answer should be no.

LOL, well said Wayne! Kinda like a litmus test for automotive common sense, like rear wings on FWD cars. :rolleyes:

CoastieCosta567
11/05/2007, 07:55 PM
LOL, well said Wayne! Kinda like a litmus test for automotive common sense, like rear wings on FWD cars. :rolleyes:

so true Joe..:)

Dino
11/05/2007, 08:47 PM
Good luck to ya.....I see a Honda Civic in your near future my friend.

I don't think so... been there once already! :rolleyes:

Y33TREKker
11/05/2007, 09:42 PM
EDIT: PS - You only live once...

'Nuff said..... :)

circmand
11/06/2007, 04:39 AM
we need to look on the bright side

rough ride and tough to get in the back seat? No one asking you to be designated driver.

No room for kids? Hey no room for kids. Let the wife transport the kids.

Too many blown motors? Spare parts for those of us who take care of our VX.

tom4bren
11/06/2007, 05:07 AM
Gasmask,

"Two people, 3 cars. At this point a practical commuter car will be a moot point."

I feel your pain. We are a 4 driver, 6 car family but we have another driver coming up next year. So 5 drivers with 1 spare car seems like a reasonable mix to me. BTW, it's 4 Mitsu's, a Toytoter & the beloved VX (also a nice mix of green & towing/hauling).

Cobrajet,

"I drive what I like, and I like the VX"

Copyrite that - it's our new mantra!!!

CrnCnn
11/06/2007, 05:19 AM
I am glad I didnt get rid of mine for a Jeep. Maybe someday I will get a jeep to beat up but I love the VX. Wish I had more money to do personalized mods. SUX being broke. Speaking of change, I could use some spending money for a change.

WormGod
11/06/2007, 08:08 AM
YOU TRIPPIN'!!!! Serious....a WRX with anything in upgrades is a wrung out, stomped on econo box with delusions of grandeur. In this playground, any bolt on is promptly "stomped on" upon instillation. Also, this thing tends to be a kiddie car, meaning, any "upgrades" were likely bolted on by the owner and his friends.....meaning.....you are buying 3000 pounds of PAIN IN YOUR *** AND POCKET assuming you can fix it:mad: Trade out if you want, but that is not the answer. Build your own hot rod if you want ...never buy someone else's . Does it have waste gates(popoffs)? If the answer is yes...your answer should be no.

I will agree, to an extent. In all seriousness, and as a modded WRX owner, this is true in MOST cases when it comes to USED WRXs/STis. I bought mine brand new and shortly after 3k miles, the modding started. The autoX'ing didnt harm it, but the daily commuting did. I am not the smartest kid digging through the toybox so I suddenly had a track ready car that I had to drive 60 miles daily to and from work. Basically, 2 cars now that both belong in the garage for weekend use. And considering I have since given up autoX, I have no pot to pi55 in. No justification for any of the mods. Selling mine would mean someone is buying a modded car that was quite well babied, but has been run pretty hard on track and sat in traffic 5 days a week, 2 times a day. That car has no idea if it is coming or going. Currently, the struts are on their way out and it has become a rattle trap because of the tighter suspension. And just to reiterate the quote above, anyone who were to buy THIS modded WRX as a second owner would most likely confuse the car even more with their driving habits and slowly, things would start to go bad in random areas of the car. It was modded for me by me to fit my style, and any other driver to come along in this vehicle would throw it out of harmony, thus, killing it faster, heh.

Buying pre-modded cars from a private seller.... NEVER a good idea. If you do, at least be prepared for any mechanical issues down the road. It's good to at least know what you are getting into and be prepared for surprises.

VCAMILO
11/06/2007, 10:37 AM
Im not selling my VX. Its been almost 6 years since I bought it new and I cant think of not driving it. 72k miles, 3 miles to work, daily driver, off road often, pulls my quad trailer, paid off, sub, 2 amps, new speakers, sunroof, brush guard, dynomatted, 3inch lift, custome grill, window tint, bigger tires, etc.... IM NOT SELLING IT!:cool:

nfpgasmask
11/06/2007, 11:00 AM
And its 30 degrees in Chicago with 40 mph winds...we got it made, don't we V? The only thing better than driving my VX, is driving my VX out west.

:) Bart

Im not selling my VX. Its been almost 6 years since I bought it new and I cant think of not driving it. 72k miles, 3 miles to work, daily driver, off road often, pulls my quad trailer, paid off, sub, 2 amps, new speakers, sunroof, brush guard, dynomatted, 3inch lift, custome grill, window tint, bigger tires, etc.... IM NOT SELLING IT!:cool:

VCAMILO
11/06/2007, 11:13 AM
Thats right. Good off-roading 30 minutes from my house & 90 degree temperatures today with a low in the 60's... Can beat this time of year.

pbkid
11/06/2007, 02:36 PM
yea the VX is a great car ill give all of you that...but the fact that i need like 6k to get it running again, doesnt sound very appealing...i dunno im not sure yet i just am not looking forward to driving 2 hours in the snow every weekend to go snowboarding in my lowered integra...

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 02:44 PM
Too many blown motors? Spare parts for those of us who take care of our VX.
To me this has been one of the most annoying myths of the VX, but I've finally embraced and am thankful for the fact this will keep the price down and maybe away from those that would do more harm than good to the remaining stock.

Chopper
11/06/2007, 03:55 PM
Thats right. Good off-roading 30 minutes from my house & 90 degree temperatures today with a low in the 60's... Can beat this time of year.Sure I can....High 78 Low 52:):):):):):)Humidity 40%
:):):):):):):)This makes the whole summer bearable....ya know it's comming....perfection till May Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh:p

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 05:13 PM
To me this has been one of the most annoying myths of the VX, but I've finally embraced and am thankful for the fact this will keep the price down and maybe away from those that would do more harm than good to the remaining stock.
Myth?! How can you call it a myth? It seems to be a clear and definite FACT that the 3.5L has a reputation for giving up the ghost! Not that the majority crap out... But too many people have had it happen to them and you are even looking at a VX in New Mexico with a blown motor. And that VX also has a sidekick with a nearly blown motor! pbkid has a blown motor too... I admit your expertise and knowledge is far and above mine in several areas but I just can't understand how you can brush off that 'myth' like that. And yes, that 'myth' does scare the crap out of me! :( Not enough to outright sell my Zeus but I almost live day to day knowing one day it is going to go tick tick pow! I just hope it is paid off when it goes so I can swap in a Chevy heart and a solid axle.

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 05:44 PM
Here's why I think it's a myth: The VX received the same engine used worldwide in about seven-years worth of combined production Isuzu Troopers, Rodeos, Amigos, Axioms, light-trucks and even some commercial vehicles. The less than 5000 VX production run represented something like 2 or 3 percent, of which there have likely (no, I don't have "hard" numbers here) been less than 1% with engine failures related to something other than neglect or abuse. In the automotive world that's exceptional quality and reliability, period. Now, when we throw in the emotion of people we know here from our community then it becomes more of an impassioned issue that eventually, as it has, transcends into "the mythical engine deaths".

It is truly unfortunate to have happened to those of us here with a VehiCROSS, but it boils down to luck of the draw. No design flaw, no vast corporate conspiracy, just a VX gets assembled and the engine in the crate happened to have something that got missed in quality control. An undetected void in a casting, the inspector was too wrapped up in the latest manga, the engine was lubed during the fertility festival... Who knows, someone gets a truck with a bad mill. It's not good, it never is, but it happens and I wish I could wave my magic torque wrench so no VX would ever age, break or wear out. But they do, and that's part or why places like this forum exist. There are facts that must be presented sans the emotion so the VX can be validated on truth, and that truth is the engine is amazingly reliable and quite stout.

The 4L30E on the other hand, is an altoghether different story... ;)

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 06:22 PM
I am not saying the VX motor is the problem - I am saying the Isuzu 3.5 motor is the problem. And hundreds if not thousands of people have been saying that too! Here is one page of mostly "typical" negative 3.5 experiences: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/isuzu_engine.html
The design flaws have been documented, most engines are not affected by it to the same degree as others (IMO), some not affected at all. Several Isuzu owners speak of the great care given to their failed motors. Of course, why would they say they never checked their oil? But not everyone in prison is guilty either, they just all say they are innocent!
I don't mean to argue with you Joe. I, just like you, think the 3.5's reputation is helping to keep the cost of the VX down and driving others away from the VX (which is the question posed by this thread anyway). I just see it as more of a legitimate reason than you do, I guess. I tell ya though, my friend, I hope neither of us has to deal with it first hand... I :heart::_steering a ticking time :bomb: ;)

CoastieCosta567
11/06/2007, 06:35 PM
So do u think the 3.2 engine is better? and if so is it possible to swap the 3.5 to a 3.2? and how much work can it be, a really easy swap? also if u swap to another make engine, like chevy, is it possible and how hard?

ZEUS
11/06/2007, 06:44 PM
All I know about the 3.2 is it is loud! Like Joe says, plenty of 3.5's last a long time without issue. So just use what you got until it goes tick tick pow! Or is it "click click BOOM"!?

Dino
11/06/2007, 06:52 PM
Joe, having been a wrench myself for a good number of years, I'd have to say I agree with the logic of that 100%.

I'm not so worried about mechanical failures, but part of that is because I can fix anything that may occur myself. What my concern is, after another year goes by and we've all realized that the $100 per barrel mark will NEVER turn around and gas is over $4 per galon EVERYWHERE in the USA, ANY vehicle that gets less that 18 mpg is bound to drop in price.

I'm selling now because of that, and because of the following.

Fossil fuels are wonderful. Energy from a sun that was shining on the earth back when the dinosaurs were around, stored up in plants and animals all caught up in rock and pressure to form these nice long hydrocarbon molecules that we can extract and burn in the internal cumbustion engine. Gasoline delivers 3 times the energy when it burns that hydrogen IF you factor in what it took to extract the hydrogen.

SO..... (there is a point here) gasoline is going to be around for a while, but it's a finite supply. Doesn't it stand to reason that we should use it as efficiently as possible so we can ALL enjoy the wonderful thing that is the automobile??????????????

...and maybe our kids can too? At least for a little while longer...

eh... maybe I'm full of biodegradable soil enhancer :rolleyes:

Chopper
11/07/2007, 11:59 AM
Certain areas pose the best solution to Hydrogen production. Iceland in particular. They are gearing up hard to become the first, biggest players. All that lovely geothermal energy, virtually laying around on the ground, waiting to be picked up. Gobs of fat, juicy, electric...FREE...after setup cost, and minus maintenance expenses. The big electric needs are the tickler in cheap hydrogen production. Ya know, in an alternate universe, where the world isn't all that much different....the humans there do it all with little reactors;) (of course, they'd never developed any religion there, so no zealot has ever thought of grenading one in the name of his particular invisible man:rolleyes:)

Spike
11/08/2007, 06:53 AM

Besides, a very capable SUV is perfect for Hawaii!
(not that I've been there.. just what I've heard)

nfpgasmask
11/08/2007, 09:39 AM
Well, even if it is a myth that the 3.5 engines crap out, it is most certainly NOT A MYTH that the 3.5 burns oil like there is no tomorrow. Something is certainly fubar.

Bart

Chopper
11/08/2007, 05:21 PM
When you buy a vehicle like this, I think you agree on some level to be part of the R&D department.Then a few years on...it becomes all about preservation. Like owning an old Jag XJ....80% of the survivors around, are sporting a 350/350 swap done at some point. Isuzu is apparently moving away from producing this type of vehicle at all, so creativity will become a hallmark of ownership.....like a lot of other great machines from long ago. (anyone looking for a '61 Aston Martin....red....with fuel delivery issues?)