PDA

View Full Version : General stuff...

nfpgasmask
10/26/2007, 02:06 PM
BRAKES: I've been running the R1 Concepts brakes and drilled/slotted Rotors now for a while. My personal evaluation of this setup is :thumbdn:

So, I just ordered a set of front and rear OEM pads from Merlin. I am going to put these on, keeping the R1 Concepts rotors and see if there is a difference. Basically, since the switch from stock to R1, my stopping capability has been a little scary, to say the least.

Kenny: I think I remember talking to you about this, and you said it has something to do with the width of the pad, correct? Well, I mentioned this to my guy over at Big-O Tires and he said he has heard that the R1 brakes and other similar "racing" brakes need to "heat up" to really work well. IMHO, that is a load of doo-doo. Even if it is the case, I ain't racing with my VX (I've already been pulled over 4 times since I moved out west, including last week in Seattle where the highway speed limit is a miserable 60mph and the cops drive unmarked, white SUVs and unmarked Dodge Chargers, which is cheating if you ask me). Anyway, any thoughts on this?

HEADLIGHTS: Recently, I scored a NIB passenger side head lamp on eBay for just over $100. Now I want the driver's side lamp assembly. Merlin quoted me $324.69! OUCH! Does anyone have a NIB, left-side, headlamp they want to sell me for less??? :cool: I want to make my head lamps clear again. :p

OTHER STUFF: I also ordered from Merlin several little trim pieces that were unavoidably broken by me during the Hella install, and a replacement tailgate cover screw, also which I over-turned and broke.

I'm also still thinking of a small lift of an inch or so. I drool over those BFG M/Ts every time I am in the Big-O shop...

So thats my blabber for the day. Just thought I would share.

Bart

PS - BTW, my ABS light is still on and off...on more than off rather.

cyronman
10/26/2007, 03:46 PM
(I've already been pulled over 4 times since I moved out west, including last week in Seattle where the highway speed limit is a miserable 60mph and the cops drive unmarked, white SUVs and unmarked Dodge Chargers, which is cheating if you ask me).
Don't forget the Taxi Cabs!!
cheating, indeed.

HEADLIGHTS:
I just printed out the polishing How-To yesterday, as my headlights are in need of it. I'm gonna give it a shot soon (this weekend?). Have you considered/tried that already, or simply looking for brand new? I almost bought a brand new pair but just couldn't bring myself to shell out for it.

OTHER STUFF:
You mean a cladding (torx) screw?
Out of curiosity, how much from Merlin, and single or do they come in bulk?
I stripped 1 last week and would like some on hand for the future.

Thanx and Good luck with the pads, dude.
Cy

ZEUS
10/26/2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the head up on the brakes. I had been considering that purchase.

MSHardeman
10/26/2007, 03:59 PM
Bart,

I have done IndianaVX's headlight polish, and it works like a charm. You may want to save the new light that you have and give the polish a go. It's easy to do, and doesn't take that long. I was super meticulous and I think it only took me 45 minutes per light.

I just put in an order for some SP Performance drilled and slotted rotors, so I'll have to let you know how they work. I know Kenny is running them right now so maybe he'll pipe in on how they are working out.

Good luck with everything.

cyronman
10/26/2007, 04:14 PM
I'm also still thinking of a small lift of an inch or so.

Don't know if you know about his setup, but I just asked Ascinder to explain his spacer lift a little.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=98301#post98301

nfpgasmask
10/26/2007, 04:36 PM
Don't forget the Taxi Cabs!!
cheating, indeed.

Yeah, I was speeding to get ahead of 3 semis that were blocking my exit in heavy traffic in the rain, and long story short, pulling me over almost caused a wreck. The cop ended up letting me off but man, I was pissed.

HEADLIGHTS:
I just printed out the polishing How-To yesterday, as my headlights are in need of it. I'm gonna give it a shot soon (this weekend?). Have you considered/tried that already, or simply looking for brand new? I almost bought a brand new pair but just couldn't bring myself to shell out for it.

Yeah, polishing is an option. The only reason I thought about new ones, was because I scored a new right-hand one for $100 on eBay, and figured that if I can get another for the left side, I would have nice new ones plus a back up pair....I may go the polishing route after all.

OTHER STUFF:
You mean a cladding (torx) screw?
Out of curiosity, how much from Merlin, and single or do they come in bulk?
I stripped 1 last week and would like some on hand for the future.

Negative. I snapped one of those round plastic covers that hide bolts in the head liner, and also somehow I lost a little plastic fastener that runs along the lower sill on the inside.

Thanx and Good luck with the pads, dude.
Cy

Thanks!

nfpgasmask
10/26/2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, hopefully Biju will chime in. He has had a completely different experience with R1, but I *think* he only has R1 rotors with stock pads, and he also has a brake line upgrade...

That said, hopefully Kenny will chime in too.

Bart

Thanks for the head up on the brakes. I had been considering that purchase.

nfpgasmask
10/26/2007, 04:41 PM
Yup, I've seen it. I may go that route. Or maybe I just buy the left hand headlight when I feel like burning $350 on something I don't really need! :)

How much were the SP rotors?

Bart

Bart,

I have done IndianaVX's headlight polish, and it works like a charm. You may want to save the new light that you have and give the polish a go. It's easy to do, and doesn't take that long. I was super meticulous and I think it only took me 45 minutes per light.

I just put in an order for some SP Performance drilled and slotted rotors, so I'll have to let you know how they work. I know Kenny is running them right now so maybe he'll pipe in on how they are working out.

Good luck with everything.

nfpgasmask
10/26/2007, 04:43 PM
I have seen his setup first hand in fact. I think he recently did a diff bracket drop or something to correct his CV problem. His lift is HIGH. I don't really want to go up that much. I would be happy with an inch or so, just so I could get a little more clearance and little more meat on my Chambers. I am just worried about the CV issue. My VX is it, thus I can't have any downtime...

Bart

Don't know if you know about his setup, but I just asked Ascinder to explain his spacer lift a little.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=98301#post98301

etlsport
10/26/2007, 04:52 PM
ascinders lift is adjustable.. i looked into it for the same reason you are.. wanted more clearance but not CV issues... never around to doing it.. its a plate that welds to the spring mounting area and has a large bolt through the center.. then a cup of sorts that screws down onto the bolt.. which lets you adjust your amount of lift from 0-2.5" or 2.5-5" i think

Ascinder
10/26/2007, 05:07 PM
its a plate that welds to the spring mounting area and has a large bolt through the center.. then a cup of sorts that screws down onto the bolt.. which lets you adjust your amount of lift from 0-2.5" or 2.5-5" i think

For the most part that is correct, except the welding the plate. I just set mine in there and also added an additional polyurethane "donut" to cut down on any metal on metal. The VX has one of these "donuts" on it from the factory, but it is made out of rubber. It goes in between the top of the spring and the upper spring perch. If you do some really crazy offroad stuff where you really articulate your rear end to where the springs could possibly fall out, then you may want to anchor those plates in there somehow. When I did my lift though, I found that between the spring tension and the shock travel I really doubt they could fall out with the additional 4.5" in there. The shocks just wont travel enough to allow it to come loose, although for ~1" lift they obviously would. Another point of concern is that the last time I checked, they(speedway) was only offering one of the two sizes of spring jacks. The Easiest way to add an inch though(by far) is just to throw in a set of 1" poly spacers and call it a day. Although it is more spendy. You could lift it in under an hour this way-super easy.

johnnyapollo
10/26/2007, 07:46 PM
I have OEM pads on the R1 brakes - had them for about a year. The last time Joe Black came up he commented on how stiff the brakes were - I said it was probably the SS lines, but he said he also has those. I'm not sure what pads Joes is running, but it could be the combo that's making them so stiff.

-- John

biju
10/26/2007, 08:38 PM
what up fam?

tis true. i also run the r1's but with stock (oem) pads as stated above ^ .

love them. love them even more together. however, my input's a little skewed because i did have the steel braided brake lines installed at the same time - so i never experienced the r1 rotors > stock pads > stock lines set-up.

i can say that all three together are really solid. long-term thus far? --> much better breaking than with stock rotors w/ stock pads.

go forth with the 'upgrade' to stock pads and get back to us. i'm interested now...

-biij

Triathlete
10/26/2007, 10:34 PM
I'm also still thinking of a small lift of an inch or so. I drool over those BFG M/Ts every time I am in the Big-O shop...

Bart

You should hold off on those MT's until the BFG MT T/A KM2's are available...they are SWEEEEEET! They have a tread pattern very similar to the Krawlers.

nfpgasmask
10/27/2007, 12:29 PM
The Easiest way to add an inch though(by far) is just to throw in a set of 1" poly spacers and call it a day. Although it is more spendy. You could lift it in under an hour this way-super easy.

This is probably the route I will go.

Bart

nfpgasmask
10/27/2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I know, the timing will probably be just right. BUT, I will say this, I do love the look of the regular M/Ts also....I will have to see them side by side to make a decision. I like the classic/simple look for my VX as opposed to some of the gaudy/cheesey sidewall designs on other offroad tires...but I digress, the flames on Biju's tires look seriously good on his Proton, I must say. :)

Bart

You should hold off on those MT's until the BFG MT T/A KM2's are available...they are SWEEEEEET! They have a tread pattern very similar to the Krawlers.

nfpgasmask
10/27/2007, 12:38 PM
go forth with the 'upgrade' to stock pads and get back to us. i'm interested now...

-biij

I will most certainly report back. I am hoping for the best. I also wonder if my current brake setup has caused my ABS module to flake on me, or if that is just heredity.

Bart

cyronman
10/27/2007, 02:24 PM
I have seen his setup first hand in fact. His lift is HIGH. I don't really want to go up that much. I would be happy with an inch or so,
Bart

The Easiest way to add an inch though(by far) is just to throw in a set of 1" poly spacers and call it a day. Although it is more spendy. You could lift it in under an hour this way-super easy.

I didn't know he went up that high.

The 1'' spacer method is what I meant.

Chopper
10/27/2007, 05:19 PM
Hey Bart...did you see my reply the other day, about your Mata??? Did you get him? How does he look? Take my advise...the big buggers can be difficult...not a beginner herp....but not HARD,hard either. Just a bit to set up, and get settled.

nfpgasmask
10/27/2007, 07:03 PM
Hey, I just replied. Since the server update, I am not getting emails when threads I am subscribed to are replied on. I probably need to check my settings. Anyway, see my reply, and let me know if you have any more pointers...

I'm so excited! I'll post pics of the turtle next week!

Bart

Hey Bart...did you see my reply the other day, about your Mata??? Did you get him? How does he look? Take my advise...the big buggers can be difficult...not a beginner herp....but not HARD,hard either. Just a bit to set up, and get settled.

MSHardeman
10/29/2007, 08:17 AM
Bart,

The SP's came out to +/- $450 shipped, so it's a pretty hefty investment. I had heard some concerns about the R1 rotors from a couple of people here (yourself included), and I read some good reviews about the SP's so I decided to jump in. I will also be upgrading the brake lines when I install the rotors, so I won't be able to give you a direct comparison against stock rotors.

nfpgasmask
10/29/2007, 08:30 AM
Cool, my pads are on the way. Should be here this week. Then I will have to find the time to get them installed. Hopefully sooner than later.

Bart

Bart,

The SP's came out to +/- $450 shipped, so it's a pretty hefty investment. I had heard some concerns about the R1 rotors from a couple of people here (yourself included), and I read some good reviews about the SP's so I decided to jump in. I will also be upgrading the brake lines when I install the rotors, so I won't be able to give you a direct comparison against stock rotors.