PDA

View Full Version : Slamming into 2nd Gear

KaNGiX
10/25/2007, 02:42 PM
Hey folks just wondering if anybody has had this problem. Like every 2 - 3 weeks my vx will slam into 2nd gear. I shut it off and restart and 99% of the time its completely gone for a few weeks again. Any Idias?

etlsport
10/25/2007, 02:49 PM
sounds like your mode selector switch is going.. keep an eye out for your dashboard gear indicator to flicker or show the wrong gear... its well documented how to fix this problem... also make sure that your transmission fluid level is correct

mdwyer
10/25/2007, 03:53 PM
Exactly what he said. There's a big switch attached to the side of your transmission between the selector lever and the transmission. Your computer uses it to tell what gear you have selected. The switch sits right beside an exhaust pipe, which probably helps it die. When it dies, it gives scratchy readings to the computer, like an old stereo volume knob.

The computer is actually smart enough to know that something is going wrong -- if it detects a bad signal for five seconds, it will go into a limp-home mode. It will assume you're in D, and adjust the settings on the transmission so that they are REALLY hard. Charmingly, it does NOT light any other warning lights. :mad:

Turning the car off and back on resets the computer until the next time it gets a scratchy signal. This scratchy signal is also what the computer uses to light up the selection display in the instrument cluster. This is why he said to look for them to flicker. In my case, it would bounce around from R to L for a while, then finally settle down to D.

Swinging the shift lever a couple times *might* clean the contacts enough to get you by, but you should probably replace the switch ASAP. Other users have recommended some exhaust shielding tape to protect the switch.

KaNGiX
10/26/2007, 05:13 AM
Thx for the info fellas ill be workin on it here shortly

nfpgasmask
10/26/2007, 03:36 PM
I'd also check your trans fluid level/condition and if it is black/burnt looking change your fluid and filter.

My VX did the EXACT same thing after I bought it and in my case just changing the fluid and filter fixed the problem...

Bart

VXIRONwoMAN
10/26/2007, 09:28 PM
When you switch gears do your lights act all funny when selecting the gears...Like when it's in drive it says neutral or something??? If it does...it's the Mode position switch. I got mine from St. Charles Isuzu. Ask for Merlin. He gives you an additional discount if you tell him you're from vx.info. Like $135 for the part and about a half hour to install it.

nfpgasmask
10/27/2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah, mine never did that, but man, it was slamming HARD.

Bart

When you switch gears do your lights act all funny when selecting the gears...Like when it's in drive it says neutral or something??? If it does...it's the Mode position switch. I got mine from St. Charles Isuzu. Ask for Merlin. He gives you an additional discount if you tell him you're from vx.info. Like $135 for the part and about a half hour to install it.