PDA

View Full Version : Rally Cross.........

Rene M
10/22/2007, 06:51 AM
The whole reason i bought my vx was too go rally crossing and to my surprise i was hanging with the STI boys.
I pimped her out and we had 4 drivers which calculated up to being 29 competition runs in one day!!!
The damage for such punishment was: My hood lock got loose, my battery died, and i knocked the right exhaust loose. Not bad at all...
Thats one tough truck! I had 4 offers for her by the end of the day.lol

The real damage was when i got back to my apartment and some one broke out the window to try to steal my cheep CD player. they broke the small window just behind the door on the passenger side. You know the one no longer available from any one! I used "www.car-part.com to find a used one.

WormGod
10/22/2007, 07:26 AM
Not the best rallyX vehicle, but it is fun nevertheless. I had mine on some trails some time back that are used for Group N rally and she was a whale on a skateboard trying to ride on a thread. Tons of fun but definately not a vehicle to compete in rallyX unless its some sort of SUV class, heh.

I have a WRX as well and it has had its fair share of autoX. Sadly, the VX will never see an autoX course because I dont want to have to roll her back over onto her shoes, heh.

Sucks about your break in. Garage FTW!

MrCrowley
10/22/2007, 08:51 AM
The times I have noticed either equal performance- or close to it- is short, tight-turn courses that dont allow the turbo cars to get into boost very long. Having a N/A 6 cylinder is great for the short corner to corner stuff. Less shifting, lag, and more steering focus for the turns. Also, when the course gets a little rough, some wont push their daily driver very hard, the VX takes it better unless the other cars are modified with suspension goodies. I think I ran 1st gear the whole course, with a couple upshifts to second on 2 of the longer legs. Other than that I had both hands on the wheel, fully focusing on my cornering. I noticed that the 5 and 6 speeds were shifting a whole bunch, probably wasnt an advantage for that race, never getting past lag, and one car lost a tire from their wheel using low pressure when they caught traction sideways which = a DNF:eek:.

As much as I love STIs and would love to own one, 17" wheels without the ability to downsize due to their wonderful brakes just arent the best for rally. I would probably opt for a WRX due to the 5 speed (although the 6 speed does help on some tracks), smaller brakes for smaller wheels, and less wallet dumping as I thrash a perfectly good car:confused:

Joe_Black
10/22/2007, 05:18 PM
If you can keep the tires on the rim you can dominate rallycross and even frighten the Subie crowd into jaw-dropping awe. www.rallyrebels.com Check out the pics and videos.

Triathlete
10/22/2007, 10:43 PM
If you can keep the tires on the rim

Thats easy...Beadlocks! :)

Rene M
10/23/2007, 12:47 AM
44 psi and stiff wall tires worked well for me. WRX are nice but the trans i think arew made of glass, damn they have a high failure rate when pushed hard. STI i love but the price tag is rather large to beat it like i did my vx.

Joe_Black
10/23/2007, 06:19 AM
Thats easy...Beadlocks! :)
I've thought about that as I need to come up with something once I start running the Ebony in stage rally. Thought I'd give rally tires a shot on the Nissan 15" wheels I've got first, especially since the Ebony will be significantly lighter than stock. Plus stage rally isn't as tight as rallycross so hopefully that will reduce the almost constant lateral stress on the front tires.

Rene M
10/23/2007, 11:18 AM
I've thought about that as I need to come up with something once I start running the Ebony in stage rally. Thought I'd give rally tires a shot on the Nissan 15" wheels I've got first, especially since the Ebony will be significantly lighter than stock. Plus stage rally isn't as tight as rallycross so hopefully that will reduce the almost constant lateral stress on the front tires.

The tight turns killed my tires!!! by the end i had to modify how i would come in to a turn.

Triathlete
10/23/2007, 12:21 PM
Beadlock kits can be bought for well under $100 for all 4. Then they can be welded to the wheel of your choice.

Joe_Black
10/23/2007, 03:39 PM
The tight turns killed my tires!!! by the end i had to modify how i would come in to a turn.
Use left-foot braking with the VX to get the rear loose at the turn, then point-n-gas for your exit. The short wheelbase and TOD really come together for the manuever. ;)

etlsport
10/23/2007, 06:43 PM
Use left-foot braking with the VX to get the rear loose at the turn, then point-n-gas for your exit. The short wheelbase and TOD really come together for the manuever. ;)

thats very true! ive done this on dry pavement before.. on the brakes in a hard turn and the back end goes flying... then quickly onto the gas will bring it back

WormGod
10/24/2007, 07:30 AM
Its funny that WRX and VX come up quite a bit in this thread because the Subaru community LOVES the VX. Every Subaru meet that pops up, they ask me to leave my Rex at home and bring the VX. The VX has made more showings than the Rex has. Pretty sad huh? Strangely, I would put money on it that these 2 vehicles are distant cousins.... they just dont realise it, heh.

Gets me thinking.... maybe I should paint the VX WRB (World Rally Blue). ;)

MrCrowley
10/24/2007, 07:56 AM
Its a funny comparison. As I bought my VX, a guy was showing off his new 2002 WRX. He was split between the two as well. He got the Rex for 4 doors, gas mileage, and a little more performance. I bought my VX over a Rex for the ability to tow, 4x4, but still sporty. One guy in Huntsville, AL with a HIGHLY modded STI liked my VX as he almost bought one before he found out the STI was coming to the US. Its funny because on his dyno, my whp is almost what a Rex has, and he was pretty impressed. Of course we are comparing the 2.0 liter turbo. If it wasn't for the "fix" i get from the VX, I wouldn't have bought the 06 legacy n/a for mileage. I just wish it had VTD, DCCD, or viscous AWD. The Active system isnt as sport oriented. But, I do love it too. Best all around sedan I could have bought in my opinion. Dream of trading both for a turbo Forester sometimes... but I dont think Ill ever dump money on a new car again. It seems like such a waste of assets. Im sure both will last me 20 years or so. :luck: Either way, Ill never buy another 2wd, although my wife's 2.3 liter FWD Suzuki Aerio is quite the sleeper, available AWD, and cheap. Only Suzuki car thats Suzuki- the others are Daewoos.

Tone
10/24/2007, 10:20 AM
RallyX (especially in our long, fast course) has been THE most fun I have had in the VX. Jay and I took 2nd and 1st OVERALL in 00 and 01 in the Houston SCCA Division when this class was just getting it's start. WRxs were there but were not consistent or show up for the entire series. Several times there were several VX wheels in the air and grins so big they hurt! Keep it up!p

Rene M
11/02/2007, 06:43 PM

First you must pull the abs fuse then do this. I left foot brake all the time soooo

Rene M
11/02/2007, 06:47 PM
this guy got a few pics of the event.
http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?userid=aaskiles&gallery_id=888844

WormGod
11/05/2007, 07:25 AM
this guy got a few pics of the event.
http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?userid=aaskiles&gallery_id=888844

That early year Subie RS(Ti) on the first page is HOT! Wish I could get my hands on one.